• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

MSI to blame? (The Curse of the Lost Emerald)

Started by BlueBard, February 01, 2007, 09:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

Obviously, it had to have been the 'My Secret Identity' posting game causing FR's issues.  As soon as we started playing again, Randy had to remove all the content.  It's the MSI curse... just when things start moving the board becomes unavailable or something.   :banghead:

BlueBard

Actually, MSI Curse doesn't sound cool enough.  Let's call it 'The Curse of the Lost Emerald'.  Way cooler.

Panther_Gunn

Well, if you ran a less interesting, less popular game, it would get less hits & replies, and therefore use less resources every time it was opened up.  Keep it up!  :thumbup:

Alaric

This is all because Alex moved that gem, right? I knew I should have been more careful...

Glitch Girl

Dang it Alaric, stop using Alex to mangle the universes, wou'd ya?  ;)

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on February 01, 2007, 01:10:22 PM
This is all because Alex moved that gem, right? I knew I should have been more careful...

I -told- you he sensed danger; What more do you want?!  ;)

Gremlin

BlueBard

I have decided that since the old forum content is still missing and a lot of time has gone by already I am going to permanently deep-six the MSI game.  There's too much background info that is semi-permanently out of reach to really continue where we left off, and my assumption is that everyone has moved on to other things by now.

The Lost Emerald is still lost.  My apologies to the folks who suffered through it with me.

Glitch Girl

That's okay BB.  Not your fault the board went down (at least I don't think it is)  It was a good game while it lasted, and it lasted a LOT longer than most.

Hmm.. you know, I'm kinda thinking of running a game meself.  Any of you guys interested?

Alaric

Quote from: BlueBard on March 29, 2007, 08:24:37 AM
I have decided that since the old forum content is still missing and a lot of time has gone by already I am going to permanently deep-six the MSI game.  There's too much background info that is semi-permanently out of reach to really continue where we left off, and my assumption is that everyone has moved on to other things by now.

The Lost Emerald is still lost.  My apologies to the folks who suffered through it with me.

After all the effort we put into the game, I'm sorry to hear that, but not surprised. As soon as all the old posts were taken down, right when we had just gotten things going again, I knew it didn't bode well...

Anyway, thanks for running a fun and entertaining game (yes, fun and entertaining!), despite all the technical problems and stuff. Many potential GMs would likely have given up long ago.

Quote from: Glitch Girl on March 29, 2007, 09:16:32 AM
That's okay BB.  Not your fault the board went down (at least I don't think it is)  It was a good game while it lasted, and it lasted a LOT longer than most.

Hmm.. you know, I'm kinda thinking of running a game meself.  Any of you guys interested?

Definitely interested. On the other hand, I have an idea for a game I'd like to run, too...

Gremlin

Damn.  That was a fun game, with some fun times.  If somebody wants to run something else, I'd be ecstatic.  I want to give some other characters a shot...

Uncle Yuan

I had a lot of fun following along (although it's very hard to kibbitz with a PBP game).  Thanks also for the opportunity to join, if only briefly.

I would be very interested in joining another game.  I've also been approached about running one, too.  ;)(Although my current schedule makes that unlikely.)

Lord Elcorion

i'd be interested depending on the theme/style. post up some details and we'll see.

Glitch Girl

I'm willing to defer to Alaric if he has something planned.  I've seen him in the other games and I'm kinda curious how he'd GM. 

BlueBard

I'm up for it... I'd love to be on the playing end of things for awhile.  Depends on the 'hook', though.  I'm up for sci-fi or superhero themed games, not in the mood for fantasy.

BlueBard

Since the game is effectively kaput, I guess it wouldn't hurt to share a few spoilers for them what are interested...

Spoiler #1: The Emerald
[spoiler]
First off, yes the 'Emerald' the heroes were last mucking around with was a booby-trapped fake.  Exposed to enough sound energy, the thing would have shattered violently.
[/spoiler]

Spoiler #2: The RV
[spoiler]
The RV was about to come under attack, triggering a self-preservation logic in P30N that would force the robot to commandeer the RV and run like heck, thus cutting off the team's escape.
[/spoiler]

Spoiler #3: The Big Fight
[spoiler]
Just when the heroes were about to reach the Emerald, Fu-Atchoo and an Atlantean crew would have shown up to fight.
[/spoiler]

Spoiler #4: The Emerald, Part Two
[spoiler]
Yup, another booby trap.  Touching the Emerald without taking certain precautions would have shut down ALL the power throughout the complex, including the forcefield holding back the lake water...  And if the heroes didn't do it, Fu-Atchoo or one of his minions would have.  Simultaneously, a subsonic signal would have gone out and recalled the lake guardian.  Nothing like a sense of impending certain doom to get the old adrenalin pumping.
[/spoiler]

Spoiler #5: Certain Doom
[spoiler]
As the complex is about to flood and all heck breaks loose, Dr. Evil breaks into the Emerald cavern with a huge digging machine.  The heroes could have fled with the Emerald using the resulting tunnel, if they were able to get past Dr. Evil's robots.
[/spoiler]

Spoiler #6: Ka-Boom
[spoiler]
IF Ka-Boom were functional, it would have transformed itself into an escape pod programmed to shoot the Emerald to safety.  The heroes would have needed to insure that went off without a hitch.
[/spoiler]

Alaric

Quote from: Glitch Girl on April 02, 2007, 10:15:42 AM
I'm willing to defer to Alaric if he has something planned.  I've seen him in the other games and I'm kinda curious how he'd GM. 

Maybe I'll announce something early next week, then. I have to admit, though, I'm a little nervous- I haven't GM'ed in a long, long time, and I've never GM'ed a posting game before...

Quote from: BlueBard on April 02, 2007, 12:25:05 PM
I'm up for it... I'd love to be on the playing end of things for awhile.  Depends on the 'hook', though.  I'm up for sci-fi or superhero themed games, not in the mood for fantasy.

What I have in mind is definitely superhero-ish.

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on April 04, 2007, 08:30:52 AM
I have to admit, though, I'm a little nervous- I haven't GM'ed in a long, long time, and I've never GM'ed a posting game before...

Just don't pull a 'Bluebard' and try an experimental open-ended interactive fiction game with on-the-fly game mechanics and where the players don't know what their powers are and you'll do fine.

You could probably adapt a Pen-and-Paper system fairly easily if you just stick to core mechanics.  Check out the Open Game System resources at Wizards of the Coast:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/welcome
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd

You can also use the basic rules from the True20 system:

http://true20.com/files/True20_quickstart.pdf

Uncle Yuan

I'm a FUDGE man, myself!

http://www.fudgerpg.com/

Let me know if you're interested and I can try to dig up the player guide I made for Luck of Heroes.

BlueBard

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on April 04, 2007, 04:59:58 PM
I'm a FUDGE man, myself!

http://www.fudgerpg.com/

Let me know if you're interested and I can try to dig up the player guide I made for Luck of Heroes.

That, too.  The 1995 rules are available as a free PDF download and serve as the basis for their own Open Game License.  The paradigm takes a little getting used to, though, and I haven't spent any time with it myself.

Viking

For the record, I just wanted to state that I would be very interested in joining a new game run by either Alaric, Glitch Girl, or BlueBard.  Please keep me informed of any developments.

Uncle Yuan

At the rate they're going I might just start one up myself . . .

Glitch Girl

I think Alaric said he was planning something.  I was going to wait to hear from him.

Besides, if Gremlin doesn't take over his D&D Game soon, I may see about GMing that one in his absense.

Alaric

Sorry. There's been a lot going on in RL lately. In any case, I've been thinking my original idea may possibly be a little overly ambitious for my first try at this sort of thing. I'm not saying I won't give it a try anyway, but I'm considering some other ideas, as well...

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on April 19, 2007, 08:16:14 PM
Sorry. There's been a lot going on in RL lately. In any case, I've been thinking my original idea may possibly be a little overly ambitious for my first try at this sort of thing. I'm not saying I won't give it a try anyway, but I'm considering some other ideas, as well...

We're all waitin' on you, man...  ;)

If I didn't have so much going on my own self, I'd think about running something different.  Since I haven't lost my sanity to that degree yet, one of you people is gonna have to step up!   :D