• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

What do you think on smallvilles new season.

Started by trickshot, February 11, 2007, 08:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickshot

OKay i personly think it is the best one yet. Just my thought.

JL is forming  :agentclap

bredon7777

JL has been and gone.

And when it went, so did my interest in Smallville.

Nothing new though- Smallviles best episodes have always been ones that featured ties to a wider DC universe.

Shogunn2517

Never fear.  They're coming back for at least another two epsiodes.  Plus Lana's getting closer to ending the six year anger tease.

catwhowalksbyhimself

In other news, they're talking about another two seasons.  To me, this is going to far.  He's so close to being superman, I can't see this going on for two more years, unless they turn it into a full-blow Superman series, which I'm pretty sure they won't.  Not that I'd complain if they did, mind you.

thalaw2

Six seasons is a great run for any series.  Two more seasons is overdoing it.  I don't see anything to look forward too unless they bring in the Batman!

catwhowalksbyhimself

They aren't allowed to.  The so-called Bat Embargo is in effect for this show.  In fact, it's due to that that this show exists in the first place.  They wanted to make "Gotham" but couldn't get the rights, so they made "Smallville" instead, using some of the same actors they had lined up for the Bruce Wayne show.

bredon7777

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 11, 2007, 10:41:58 PM
They aren't allowed to.  The so-called Bat Embargo is in effect for this show.  In fact, it's due to that that this show exists in the first place.  They wanted to make "Gotham" but couldn't get the rights, so they made "Smallville" instead, using some of the same actors they had lined up for the Bruce Wayne show.

I always thought they were shooting too small.  There was talk of a show called "Heroes" which would feature  rotating arcs over the entire DC universe (well, minus the cosmic stuff).  But back then, no one thought a show about superpowered people would be watched.

Now of course, they have been heartily proven wrong - but their title has been taken  :lol:

And don't get me started on how incredibly stupid I think the bat-embargo is.

thalaw2

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 11, 2007, 10:41:58 PM

What?  They can mention Gotham City, but they can't show it?  Is that the case?

Pyroclasm

No, they can show Gotham, they just can't show Bruce Wayne/Batman.  Something about different companies having live action rights to the character.  It's the same reason they made "Birds of Prey", but never showed Bats.

catwhowalksbyhimself

They can show it, alright, but no Batman specific characters are allowed, although they could be mentioned.  So no Bruce Wayne, no Harvey Dent, no anybody with the last name of Gordon.

BentonGrey

These companies really need to get past these kinds of things :angry:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, various division and subsities of Warner Bros. owns all of those rights.  Maybe not the same ones, but they could share the rights if they really wanted to.

BentonGrey

Exactly, but somehow we still have to juggle things like this.

thalaw2

What is the company with the live action rights doing?  Has there been any live action batman since Adam West?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Huh?

Haven't you heart of the past 4 Batman movies?

And TV/Movie rights are TV/Movie rights, so the cartoon series counts too.

It's all the same, and Warner holds all those rights.  And Superman.  And Aquaman.  And just about every other DC comic character.

As I said before, it's an internal Warner thing.

BentonGrey

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yes, there are some exceptions.  Mostly those with more tangled copyrights.  Blue beetle, Captain Marvel (it took a LOT of special arangements for that JLU appearance. He was supposed to appear in JLA season 2, but they couldn't get the rights) and Plastic Man are others that I know of.

Alaric

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 14, 2007, 09:05:37 PM
Yes, there are some exceptions.  Mostly those with more tangled copyrights.  Blue beetle, Captain Marvel (it took a LOT of special arangements for that JLU appearance. He was supposed to appear in JLA season 2, but they couldn't get the rights) and Plastic Man are others that I know of.

None of whom originally belonged to DC.

catwhowalksbyhimself

thalaw2

Glitch Girl

New episode last night.  I've only seen the first half of it so far, but I kinda like how it's presented (three stories over the same time frame that cross each other)

Also, I went to the CW website and took a look at the Oliver Queen miniseries.  Apparenlty they made the series in Poser (something I got a personal giggle out of), though the animation is kinda meh.  I'm one episode in and the plot is also meh so far (then again, it's a series designed to be aired on cellphone) but I'll check out the other three episodes when I have some time.

catwhowalksbyhimself

That was the most depressing episode that I have ever seen.  In some ways, I wish I had quit the series and never seen it.  Not that the episode was bad as far as quality or anything, but it was at a Shakespearian level of tragedy, minuis the exessive killings.

You definitely should never, ever trust a Luthor, any Luthor.

thanoson

AncientSpirit

This last episode was BRILLIANT.

They made Lana look good for the first time in I don't know how long.

They took took Lex to a pivitol point in his evil.  Up until now, I think we've only seen him torture people (like Aquaman) ... this is the first time I think we've seen him kill someone with his bare hands.

And best of all, they brought back Lex's father as the most ruthless Luther bar none -- where he belongs.    There is simply no one more fabulous at playing both sides against the middle than Lionel

(And Cat, you describe it perfectly when you refer to it as a Shakespearian level of tragedy.)

This one episode has opened up enough new story lines to take this show to new heights for the next two seasons.   :D  

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteSummary please?

The episode actually repeats the same events 3 times, from a different perspective and with more details, so I'll staighten them out into rough chronological order.

[spoiler]
It's Lex and Lana's wedding day.  Lana can't really sleep.  She gets up first, followed by Lex, suffering from nightmares about Lana's baby.  Lex heads to the office.  Lana and Cloe meet for wedding preparations, and Lana asked her to go to the wine cellar to fetch her present for Lex, then locks Cloe inside and waits for Clark to come to the rescue.  He does, and Lana see him using his powers hidden in the cellar.  she also overhears their conversation as Cloe asks Clark why he isn't trying to stop the wedding and he tells her that letting Lana go was the hardest thing he's ever done before superspeeding off.

Lex meanwhile, talks to his father.  Lex is worried that Lana won't actually go to the altar, but Lionel promises him that she will.  Lex then gets a phone call and goes to meet the creepy doctor he's been working with who tries to blackmail Lex.  Lex responds by killing him with his bare hands and hiding the body in the crypt beneath the church.

Clark goes to talk to Lana and says that she ought to know the full truth before getting married. She says that it doesn't matter, but she's canceling the wedding and will be meeting Clark at his barn.  Right after Clark leaves, Lionel comes and reads the note she was writing for Lex.  He realizes that she knows about Clark and tells here that he knows a way to kill him and that if she doesn't marry Lex, he will do so.

Lana disappears, but never meets Clark and does marry Lex.  After the wedding, she seems happy, but briefly weeps uncontrolably when alone.  The episode ends with Clark watching as she and Lex drive away for their honnymoon.
[/spoiler]

thanoson