• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Afghan Ant Artistic Advances: 12-07-2008 Atomik Backwards

Started by AfghanAnt, February 19, 2007, 09:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

AfghanAnt

Quote from: UnkoMan on September 16, 2008, 05:56:33 PM
Oh man, Batboy is freakin' awesome. That looks like something I would have designed. Needless to say, I love it. In fact, I will probably be doing a sketch of him sooner or later.

One thing though... the legs look a bit weird.  I don't know if it's the tones you used themselves seeming so different from the face (really just more shadow) or if it's that it looks flat-ish due to the mesh being all thin and long. Or maybe both those things. Either way, seems off. Especially the knees.

Wow. I never thought I'd have a reason to critique one of your skins every again, AA. You did it on purpose, didn't you?

But, yeah, that's so awesome.
Also funny you say that about the design. I originally thought he could be a sidekick for your Vamp skin. In fact I was going to ping you to see if you wanted to colab on a universe that was sort of your genre (horror/monsters/undead). I really want to do this line of characters that are based on sideshow freaks and urban legends. Sort of like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but more modern.

Are the legs darker than the face (My colors could be off). I'll take another swing at it once I get my new computer. It was officially my last skin on my old laptop.

miguelyanke

Well, about helping you... i only know how to do skopes (and i need some base, or sketch for the character) so i feel useless. ^.~ (anyway if you need me, just ask)

Yes, the legs looks like they have a spidy-panties XD!!!!

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: miguelyanke on September 17, 2008, 01:39:36 PM
Well, about helping you... i only know how to do skopes (and i need some base, or sketch for the character) so i feel useless. ^.~ (anyway if you need me, just ask)
I think he was just putting it out there in general for any "mod" proficient folks miguel. ;) And AA's pretty "skope" proficient on his own as well. :P Come on people! What do we have to do to get this puppy rollin'? :thumbup:

UnkoMan

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 17, 2008, 07:38:07 AM
Also funny you say that about the design. I originally thought he could be a sidekick for your Vamp skin. In fact I was going to ping you to see if you wanted to colab on a universe that was sort of your genre (horror/monsters/undead). I really want to do this line of characters that are based on sideshow freaks and urban legends. Sort of like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but more modern.

Are the legs darker than the face (My colors could be off). I'll take another swing at it once I get my new computer. It was officially my last skin on my old laptop.

Dude, a sidekick to Vamp? That is, if Vamp doesn't mind me co-opting that skin I did for him and turning it around into an original character. He was going to remake his own avatar anyhow (or maybe already did). I... don't think I've seen him around lately, actually. I will send him a PM, though.

But, yeah, that would be awesome. Sideshow freaks? Urban legends? I'm all over that stuff. I would love to collaborate with you, not to mention give the Corpse some people to hang out with. Although, I can see this team to the Corpse being more like Mike Allred's Atomics to Madman. PM me with some more ideas, and we'll suss this out further.

As to the legs' colour, I realize it may be my NEW monitor, too. I can't seem to calibrate it to my satisfaction. They do still seem stretched though. The knees in particular.

herodad1

i always thought it would be cool making a team based off universal's classic monsters.halloween's not that far away folks!

AfghanAnt

Quote from: UnkoMan on September 17, 2008, 02:42:55 PM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 17, 2008, 07:38:07 AM

Dude, a sidekick to Vamp? That is, if Vamp doesn't mind me co-opting that skin I did for him and turning it around into an original character. He was going to remake his own avatar anyhow (or maybe already did). I... don't think I've seen him around lately, actually. I will send him a PM, though.

But, yeah, that would be awesome. Sideshow freaks? Urban legends? I'm all over that stuff. I would love to collaborate with you, not to mention give the Corpse some people to hang out with. Although, I can see this team to the Corpse being more like Mike Allred's Atomics to Madman. PM me with some more ideas, and we'll suss this out further.

As to the legs' colour, I realize it may be my NEW monitor, too. I can't seem to calibrate it to my satisfaction. They do still seem stretched though. The knees in particular.

We will talk very soon.  :)

Podmark

If a mod ever did get rolling I throw in my support. I have no idea what I could do but it'd be worth it to help.

AfghanAnt

Mystik

:thumbup: :thumbup: yes more thor- (still waiting for your classic thor to battle your loki )

billdamn22

When I saw the skope I was blown away. Your skin plus the little additions you made for it make it so much cooler. This will be a great one to play with.

Jakew

As I mentioned in the skoping thread, that Frog Thor skin/skope is really clever ... its a fun, nicely-rendered character design.  :wub:

Where did the idea for a Frog Thor come from??? Or is it an actual Marvel character I'm not familiar with?

I also think the Afghan Ant / Unkoman idea for a team of freaks and urban legends (like Batboy, Mothman, Jersey Devil, etc) is very cool indeed.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Jakew on October 27, 2008, 01:54:41 AM
Where did the idea for a Frog Thor come from??? Or is it an actual Marvel character I'm not familiar with?

I'm not sure which issues of Thor that Frog Thor lasted but it started with Thor #363.. As Thor was on his way to Asgard to become leader he was ambushed by Loki and transformed into a regular frog. He spent his time trapped in that form hopping around Central Park lake and then getting caught up in a battle between the frogs and the rats until he finally came upon his small abandoned hammer. He picked up the hammer and was transformed into a frog-like humanoid called Thunder Frog.

They have nodded toward his time as Thunder Frog numberous times when Thor has visited Central Park and comes across a frog which often passes him information in frogspeak of things he might otherwise be unware of.. such as when the Mutant Massacre occured and a frog went looking for Thor to make him aware that a bloodbath was occuring under the city. And just before Thor went into his final battle with Onslaught a group of frogs approached Thor to give their farewells which led to other heroes giving him confused looks.

- CQ

Jakew

herodad1

USAgent

herodad1

you guys may have to make other animal heroes...the incredible hare,hamster america,iron horse,the amazing..uhh..spider monkey,dare devil dog,the uncanny x-mice,ect..

AfghanAnt

I'm glad everyone liked him.

Well here is part one of my tribute to Matrix.

I always loved his female Afghan Ant and it was such a good idea that there were times when I was creating new HIVE heroes I thought of creating a female hyper-band bear who would wear a costume similar to Afghan Ant. In fact, Halal Hornet was intially based on Matrix's gender-bender AA. I think he would have liked that I was so inspired by his work I used it for the concept of a new character and I felt the need to skin his idea myself.

Podmark

Very nicely done AA. I'm sure he would have liked it.

I like the face it has a lot of personality without doing too much. But maybe it's just me but the eyes look a little odd. Pupils seem a little too far apart.

If we're doing a Matrix tribute on Hero Force I'd like to put up the skins me and him worked on, preferably in a separate spot from my regular work. I don't think any of it is currently online.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Podmark on October 28, 2008, 10:26:32 PM
Very nicely done AA. I'm sure he would have liked it.

I like the face it has a lot of personality without doing too much. But maybe it's just me but the eyes look a little odd. Pupils seem a little too far apart.

If we're doing a Matrix tribute on Hero Force I'd like to put up the skins me and him worked on, preferably in a separate spot from my regular work. I don't think any of it is currently online.

I think I see what you mean about the eyes. It could be the mapping on the mesh and all I would have to do is go back and fix that.

Of course! I'm going to make a page and a new icon for the index page for HF. So I'll pm you and we can start coordinating.

Blkcasanova247

Klauser

Quote from: Podmark on October 28, 2008, 10:26:32 PM

Quote from: AfghanAnt on October 28, 2008, 10:38:08 PM
Of course! I'm going to make a page and a new icon for the index page for HF. So I'll pm you and we can start coordinating.

Thanks for considering making some of Matrix's lost work available again! 

AfghanAnt

Quick question are the colors on my most recent skin as bright as they usually are? I'm using Vista and I'm afraid I have no clue how to calibrated my screen (I use to use Adobe Gamma tool but that no longer comes with PS).

Blkcasanova247

BentonGrey

Very nice AA.  I never knew the fellow's work, but I'm sure that he'd have to be honored by your efforts.

daglob

Quote from: herodad1 on October 27, 2008, 04:19:49 PM
you guys may have to make other animal heroes...the incredible hare,hamster america,iron horse,the amazing..uhh..spider monkey,dare devil dog,the uncanny x-mice,ect..

It was The Amazing Spider-Ham.

House Quake

AfghanAnt

Happy Halloween everyone and part Two A of my tribute to Matrix.

It's weird as long as I knew Matrix I never knew what his avatar did and when I sat down to draw a redesign I was stumped. I thought maybe Magneto-like and then I thought more HIVE world design and even a g-string and a cape but nothing felt right (though I did design a kick arse HIVE design for him). So I sat down and I thought what did he love to skin and the only thing I could think of was Marvel comics superheroes so I design a costume using some elements of his favorite X-Men. He would probably insist on more skin showing, I remember the redesign he did of Afghan Ant was practically nekkid but that was his design philosophy.

I think considering how many X-Men costumes there were to choose from I look at them and thought Storm would be where I started so I did a modified version of her X-Treme costume but instead of a lighting bolt "S", I did a "M" and just went to town. I knew I wanted the phoenix symbol in the costume for design and symbolic purposes and it wouldn't be X-Men without Wolverine in there. The belt/man purse was Rogue/Gambit inspired (he needs somewhere to house his playing cards). His face mask is Jean's but to keep the costume unique I made it black (Matrix was a big Jean fan). In his powered form, obviousbly Colossus's steel skin, Cyclops' optic red eyes, and Rogue skunk streak with Bishop's M tattoo.

There will be another skin/skope coming soon which will feature an Avengers costume.

Blkcasanova247

Podmark

Wow that is uber cool. I'm sure he would have loved it.
And of course it's got glowing eyes. Matrix loved his glowing eyes.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Podmark on October 31, 2008, 01:19:31 PM
Wow that is uber cool. I'm sure he would have loved it.
And of course it's got glowing eyes. Matrix loved his glowing eyes.

Exactly why I added them. I thought he looked cooler (auto text...urgh) with white eyes but I remembered that like (auto text again) every skin he did came with a glowing eyes alternate skin.

|