• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The DCUG Back on Track!

Started by BentonGrey, February 19, 2007, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

BentonGrey

Alrighty guys, I've been chipping away at the mountain of work, and I'm pretty happy with the results.  I'm aiming for a release this weekend, but that may be a bit unrealistic.  Either way, this should definitely be out next weekend. 

Lately I've added about a dozen more characters, off the top of my head they include:

Kobra
Kobra Death Adders
O.G.R.E. Enforcers
Lois Lane
Jimmy Olsen
(Many other support characters for the mod minded)
Electrocutioner
Copperhead

And a few others I can't remember.  I've also finished the first 'issue' of a Question story arc.  I've been holding off on some of the other planned comics because of a lack of maps, but hopefully those will be more available after release.  I'd like to ship with a few more adventures for various characters, and I have a Hawkman and girl adventure almost done, and a few Green Arrow and Speedy adventures.  I'd also LOVE to have the beginning of an Atom story arc, but we'll see.

GogglesPizanno

CF Kane

BentonGrey

Alright, so...aparently Grey forgot all about the 165 pages of reading he has to do before tuesday......so....umm.....next week it is!  Still, I'm really close to being done.  If I finish another comic issue, great, if not....oh well!  I've got all the characters added, and now it's pretty much just clean up work I have to do.  I'll try and work on it this week, and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to release the public beta by Sunday!

lmalonsof

I just can wait...

Congratulations Benton, this is going to be BIG!!!

:thumbup:

yell0w_lantern

Volsung

It's monday ! where's my precious?  :lol:

BentonGrey

Haha, I suppose I should have been more clear, that was this COMING sunday. :P

Thanks for the excitement guys, it's really encouraging to see that people are actually waiting for this!

Imalonsof, yeah, it will be 'big,' I'm afraid it's going to be massive...in download size, that is. ^_^

Cyber Burn

I'm really stoked about seeing this.   Thanks for putting in all the hard work on this mod Benton.

rmt

I'm really looking forward to seeing this, even though it's for  :ffvstr:   I had always intended to do the same thing you're doing, one for DC and one for Marvel.  You've inspired me to at least dust off my Marvel plans for  :ff: so cheers for that.   :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Well RMT, I had eventually planned to get around to Marvel....but after this, I don't know that it will ever happen.  If you'd like any help, please let me know!

Just a real quick update.  I'm doing alright on my schedule, but we'll see how it looks tomorrow.  I've got some more testing to do with my Batman issues, and #5 may not be included in this release if I can't figure it out.  HOWEVER, I just finished JLA Issue #1!  It's somewhat misleadingly named as it's actually about Martian Manhunter........well.......you'll see.  Still, that's another comic adventure completely ready to ship!

:EDIT: Ohh, and I would really like someone to help me with the opening screen and such, but if no one volunteers, then I'll just make do until I have the time/energy to tackle it.

rmt

What kind of opening are you wanting, Benton?  Are you re-skinning the standard  :ffvstr: nif or using a different one?  Not a fan of the spinning, personally.

BentonGrey

I'm not a big fan of the spinning either, but I've got a really nice image of Alex Ross's cover for Crisis on Infinite Earths, and it's the right length for that kind of thing.  I could really go either way.  EVENTUALLY, I want to have all custom images, but with a release date of tomorrow night, I don't think I've really got time to do that in the Beta.  My friend apparently FINALLY found my copy of Photoshop, and it's supposedly on its way here.  So hopefully, I'll be able to do a lot of the rest of the leg work myself.  Eventually I'd like to replace all the loading screens and such, ESPECIALLY for my 'comic' missions.

Premonitioner

Sir Benton,

the premo is just wishing you luck on reaching your release date and I'm glad you worked through most, if not all, of your problems with this huge DC add-on/mod. Maybe you can take over my projects next. ^_^

BentonGrey

LOL......ha, if you want them done badly, maybe so. ;)  Thanks for the well wishes my friend, I hope it will inspire you to have some fun with EZScript and bring us some more story love.

BentonGrey

Woo-Hoo!  The only thing left to do is to tweak my Batman issues, pack it up, and upload it.  I should make my release date for once!  Ohh, I just remembered, I've got to write the readme...gonna' be a long one, I've got a LOT of people to thank. ^_^

:EDIT: ARGHHHHH!!!!!  It figures, it just figures.  Everything is going smoothly, no major glitches...but now all of a sudden, all of my Bat missions which were working PERFECTLY last time I tested them are broken.  This is maddening!

BentonGrey

Alright, the installer is compiling, then I've got to upload, but the Beta is finished! 

Thanks to a number of errors that came out of no where, the Batman campaign won't be included in the first release, but hopefully I can get it out in the next week or so. 

rmt

Well that just makes sense.  Batman needs time to prepare.

(Congratulations!  Can't wait to get my hands on it, but will have to as I'm out this week on business.  Stoopid monkey day job).

BentonGrey

Okay........so.....I met my deadline, the whole thing was packaged up and ready to upload by midnight last night.........but apparently I'm deficient.  I couldn't figure out the instructions Cat gave me to do so, and then  I got tired and went to bed. :P  It's still ready, and it'll be uploaded as soon as Cat figures out how to explain the process to a dim-wit like me.  Thanks for you patience!

BentonGrey

Woo-Hoo!  It's being uploaded!  The DC Universe According to Grey is now only hours away from being available for download!  The next post you see here SHOULD have instructions on how to get it.  Watch this space!

*I'm sorry for the flurry of posts, I'm just really excited about this, I've never finished anything of this scope before.*

catwhowalksbyhimself

I should point out here, that it turned out it was my fault.  Benton's account was never set up.

Anyhow, all is well now.

BentonGrey

Alrighty guys, the moment we've all been waiting for, the DC Universe According to Grey is now available!

You can download the mod here:
dcug.freedomforceforever.com/DCUG.exe

And you can get the FX Pack with this link:
dcug.freedomforceforever.com/FX Pack.zip

Thanks to all the great artists and contributors who made this possible, 'cause all I did was put the pieces together.

A few notes about this release:

• This is a BETA, I've tested it as well as I can, but I know I've missed some things, please keep an eye out for them
  • I'm open to all the feedback you can muster, I'd love to hear about it if you think Captain Atom needs to be more powerful, or if you feel like Green Arrow's explosive arrow does too much damage.
  • The EZScript 'comics' included aren't quite done yet.  I forgot to finalize the Question missions, and I should have an update of that available before too long, but they are actually completely playable
  • Green Arrow on the other hand, wasn't actually meant to be included.  I'll try and upload a fixed version soon.
  • The Batman EZScript campaign I was working on was not included because it decided to break all of a sudden the night before.  I'll fix it as quickly as I can.
  • I just know I missed thanking someone in the readme, if you can think of anyone, PLEASE let me know.

If you enjoy the first Issues of JLA and The Question, look forward to more exciting adventures coming your way soon!

GogglesPizanno

Sledgehammer

I already tested it. I didn't check everything, but so far, I like this very much. Played Question's Issues, and started (but not finished) the JLA adventure. Everything works fantastic! You have done a wonderful, wonderful job, Benton!

Oh, for those that didn't install FFv3R in the default directory (like myself), just move the custom_characters folder to C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\DCUG\Act\

It worked for me. :)

I played with some of the heroes in the Rumble Room too. Zatanna, Big Barda, Black Canary, Huntress, just to name a few ladies I used. Pretty fantastic indeed, this is a great mod!

Keep it up. Soon, I'll help you with Voicepacks for this (JLH - almost positive the big 3 will be my first VPs), and you're obviously welcome to use anything I've already done, if you want.

lmalonsof

I'm downloading the beta and I'd just wish to thank Benton and those who helped him in this project. Congratulations. :thumbup:

Volsung

QuoteInstallation: You asked for it, and you got it.  This mod is provided courtesy of a click team installer.  However, this will only work if you have FFvTTR installed in the default directory.  If not, then you'll have to re-direct the install path AND do a lot of major editing in FFEdit.  You'll have to point every single character's template at the new location, so Heaven help you!

Mine is installed on... G:...
I feel...cursed...

tommyboy

Quote from: Volsung on September 11, 2007, 02:58:08 AM
QuoteInstallation: You asked for it, and you got it.  This mod is provided courtesy of a click team installer.  However, this will only work if you have FFvTTR installed in the default directory.  If not, then you'll have to re-direct the install path AND do a lot of major editing in FFEdit.  You'll have to point every single character's template at the new location, so Heaven help you!

I feel...cursed...

Yes, mine is installed on E:, so effectively, this wont be getting played by me without great effort on my part.
My personal preference with making Mods is to put all characters in "library/characters", then it works no matter where the game is installed.
I'll see if I can figure out a way to mass-convert the objects.dat, just because I'm curious... 

I also note that you've left the ".bak" versions of character nifs (which is a back up created by EZNifConverter) in pretty much every mesh directory.
You may want to delete those and save yourself quite a lot of space (if you update).

Aside from that, good on you for seeing it through, and thanks for all the effort.

Volsung

I just finished editing the object.dat ^^;

But a character named sammy didn't have any nif file!

QuoteMy personal preference with making Mods is to put all characters in "library/characters", then it works no matter where the game is installed.
I'll have to keep that in mind for my own hypothetical mod.

ElijahSnowFan

Benton: just wanted to pop in here and say, "congratulations" for all you, and those in the community who helped, did to put this mod together.

you all worked on it for a long time, and such a massive effort -- 500 MB! yikes -- deserves congratulations. you should be proud for finishing this. :thumbup:

Sledgehammer

Quote from: tommyboy on September 11, 2007, 03:24:41 AM
Quote from: Volsung on September 11, 2007, 02:58:08 AM

I feel...cursed...

Yes, mine is installed on E:, so effectively, this wont be getting played by me without great effort on my part.
My personal preference with making Mods is to put all characters in "library/characters", then it works no matter where the game is installed.

I had the same problem, as I installed FFv3R on C:\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich.

Try moving the custom_characters folder to "C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\DCUG\Act\"

Of course, I'm assuming you have a hard disk at C:, following the typical drive letter assignment on modern days. If not, then you do have to edit a couple of things.

|