• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Any real advantage to Windows Vista ?

Started by stumpy, February 19, 2007, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

That is great news, Shogunn2517! I was worried that I would have to maintain a separate XP SP1 partition for at least FF (and possibly FFvT3R) if I bought a new PC. That they both run is the best piece of news I've heard about Vista in a while.

zuludelta

As a bit of a PC hobbyist who does a lot of audio/video remastering, I don't think I'll be making the switch to Vista anytime soon, the potentially crippling effects of its hardware-based DRM system is just a bit much. Anybody interested in reading about the potential problems Vista can cause with content creation can read Peter Guttman's cost-analysis paper for the details.   

General Jerky

I have Vista Ult. and I love it. <.<. I can play Fallout and Fallout 2 fine(games from 97/98) in fact its not really older stuff that doesn't work its newer stuff. I have more problems with Madden 2007 then anything else. Hell Freedom Force works fine. I get no problem with slow down, in fact my computer runs a whole of a hell lot better on Vista then it did on XP.

Lunarman

Did anyone find out about getting FFVTTR to work with Vista? I have vista running upstairs just now and FFVTTR doesn't work, however I think that may be a driver issue.

When  I start up vista I get an error with 'starforce protection' drivers and then it is disabled. I get the same error when I start FFVTTR as well as a 'runtime libraries'. Vista thinks it may be able to solve the problem once it's on the internet but as of yet it's not. I'll try Freedom Force on it too when I get online.

BTW, I have the euro version of FFVTTR

Any luck?

Lunarman

Ok, Good news for everyone:

Vista works with FFVTTR, all you need to do is download some drivers :)

stumpy

:thumbup: That's great. More confirmation that FFvT3R will run under Vista. I think we have a report or two above that even FF runs as well.

Lunarman

Just another confirmation about FF1, it works too.

does a mod want to post a sticky at the top of this forum confirming both games run fine incase people are worried about upgrading?

Thankyou

Lunarman

stumpy

Quote from: Lunarman on August 24, 2007, 06:10:09 AMdoes a mod want to post a sticky at the top of this forum confirming both games run fine incase people are worried about upgrading?

Good idea. This issue will probably come up again as more people move (or are shoved) to Vista.

Done. But, maybe later on I will split the thread at some point to isolate the general ruminations and rumblings about Vista from the FF and FFvT3R compatibility question.

thehod

Quote from: Lunarman on August 24, 2007, 03:33:04 AM
Ok, Good news for everyone:

Vista works with FFVTTR, all you need to do is download some drivers :)

Any idea what those drivers are, and where to get them?

I get the same error message regarding 'Starforce Protection' drivers.

Lunarman

Well my vista popped up with a box saying 'looking for a solution to the problem' then it download drivers automatically and it just worked.

What edition have you got? I've got home premium.

thehod

Quote from: Lunarman on September 12, 2007, 08:06:30 AM
Well my vista popped up with a box saying 'looking for a solution to the problem' then it download drivers automatically and it just worked.

What edition have you got? I've got home premium.

Ahhhh, I've only had got Vista on my laptop which is brand new, and haven't as yet got it connected to the net (wireless stuff is due to turn up this weekend) so by the sounds of it once I get that all connected it should do it automatically and be good to go.

Cousin

Hasta la VISTA do not use Windows Vista
Vista is looking almost like Linux Bill is out of ideas ? soon it'll be Winlux not Windows  :P

:lol:
We'll my friend has Vista and  :ffvstr: works pretty good at his computer there should be no problem at running vsTTR on Windows Vista

thehod

Vista is beginning to get on my abilities, and I think its to do with Directx issues more than anything else.

Rome Total War tells me it needs directx 9, when i've got directx 10 installed, and now FF is giving me an "Alert init renderer" message.

The funny thing is that both these games were working fine until yesterday, when the only new thing that happend was a windows update.

any ideas, or am i just going to have to wait until Vista and Directx properly do what they promise that they can do?

stumpy

I have seen this once or twice (I think more with FF than with FFvT3R) and it went away on reboot. Other people have had some luck updating / rolling back video drivers.

Sorry that's all I recall right now. There used to be a longer thread on this topic on ffans. Oh, well...

zuludelta

One minor annoyance I found with Vista is that it apparently can't read the data off of multi-session CD-Rs that were written using Windows XP's built-in CD-writing utility. I noticed this when my mum complained that her new PC (which had Vista Premium as the OS) wouldn't read a photo CD a friend had sent her. I got the photo CD, popped it into my PC (which has XP) and it read it fine. I did notice that the CD-R was left "open" (non-finalized) so I tried "closing" it with the Nero CD/DVD recording software. Popped it into my mum's PC and it could read it okay. Tried it again with a spare CD-R... burned some data on one, left it "open" and un-finalized, checked that it read okay with my spare Windows XP PC, and again same result with Vista claiming that the disc isn't formatted for Windows. 

RogueDW331

I have Vista HP and it works great, but I've tried looking on here to see if anyone has tried the cheats on their FFvsTR game after installing it on Vista, but I've found nuthin. So I was wandering if anyone can use the cheats, cause i can't. I've even went through five different walk throughs on how to get the cheats to work. I was just wondering.

stumpy

You mean you couldn't get the console to open after changing your ..\system\localinit.py file? If you can get the console open, all the python stuff would pretty much have to work. And, really, I can't see Vista having any impact on whether or not the console opens. Usually, people having trouble with that either have a non-U.S. English keyboard or have had trouble creating/changing the localinit.py file (they created it in a non-plain text editor or saved it as localinit.py.txt or something similar).

I would be curious if the console works but python doesn't...

RogueDW331

Yeah I created it and it was saved as a text file, but that's the only type of file I can save that as. I'll just have to deal without the console I guess... &lt;_&lt;

Previsionary

saving it as a text file is a problem. Make sure you have full permission over the file and it's not read only. Also, make sure you can actually see the endings of the files you're editing as it will sometimes save as:

"localinit.py.txt" which is also incorrect.

stumpy

Quote from: RogueDW331 on June 26, 2008, 04:25:33 PMYeah I created it and it was saved as a text file, but that's the only type of file I can save that as. I'll just have to deal without the console I guess... &lt;_&lt;

Just to double-check, when things are correct, the file is a text file, but the filename can't end in the .txt extension because python source files need the .py extension. If you are not sure what the extension of the file really is, check out this part of the Game FAQ. If you are trying to save the file in Notepad and it keeps adding the .txt extension, then choose Save As and in the file dialog, enter "localinit.py" (with the quotation marks). The quotes should force Notepad to save it with the name you gave it, without adding it's own extension.

cmdrkoenig67

I recently had to buy a new computer and it has Windows Vista (I guess it's the home version)...FF Character Tool seems to work fine (FF doesn't seem to want to run, though...I even checked for fixes, when it prompted me, but it came up with no solutions), FFVTTR (and it's Character Tool) seems to work fine.

Dana

stumpy

Just curious, are you trying to run FF with the 1.3 patch?

cmdrkoenig67

Yes...It keeps crashing and saying it can't load the cutscenes.

Dana

Lunarman

You tried playing around with the compatibility modes? :s it might help

AfghanAnt

I'm buying a new laptop with Vista pre-loaded is there anything I have to do to get  :ffvstr: to run or can I just pop the disk in? Also I think it is a testiment to how much I love  :ffvstr: that I determine whether or not I buy a laptop that can run it.

Previsionary

depends on which version of vista you get. it'll work fine regardless, but you'll have to do a few work-a-rounds to get mods and such to work on the 64-bit version, I hear.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on September 16, 2008, 03:16:10 PM
depends on which version of vista you get. it'll work fine regardless, but you'll have to do a few work-a-rounds to get mods and such to work on the 64-bit version, I hear.

Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (I really hope this is the right one).

cmdrkoenig67

So I still haven't got  :ff: to work on the new comp, the  :ff: Character Tool works, but many of the meshes display broken or shattered.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67

Another issue I've noticed is when using FFEdit2...I open a mission and begin working on a map (it doesn't matter which one), after an unknown ammount of time (the time seems to vary)...It won't let me edit the map any further (I can open it, but I can't add things, select or move things...I can delete things in the Edit control panel, though...Weird).  This problem persists, and even though I close the Editor and re-open, it won't let me edit my map.  A few hours later or the next day when I open FFEdit, it let's me edit the map once again. 

Some things just tend to stop working (I even get the warning, that the program has stopped working and that is looking for a solution)...My DDS converter also only allows me to convert one file at a time (on WinXP, it let me convert multiple files) and it sometimes doesn't want to work at all. 

Both of these worked just fine for me on my old WinXP.   Those are the issues I can recall right now...There may have been more, that I can't think of at the moment.  :angry:

Dana

Uncle Yuan

The core game seems to work just fine, but there's some wierdness in gettin FFX to work that I don't think anyone has figured out yet.  At least, I have a thread started for that purpose and nothing that works has been put up there yet.

|