• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Justice League Film???

Started by Talavar, February 23, 2007, 07:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talavar

Warner Bros. announced today that they've hired a couple of guys to write a Justice League script for a live action film.  No details have been released of course, as this is about the earliest stage a movie can be at; really, I'm surprised they made an announcement at all.  My major question at this point is, are they going the core, big name characters, or more B-level folks?  I'd bet on the latter, but hope for the former.  What do others think?

lugaru

Im the other way around, I would hope for B-Level heroes but heck if they where able to make X-Men several years back they should be able to make JLA several years in the future.

bredon7777

Quote from: Talavar on February 23, 2007, 07:01:26 PM
Warner Bros. announced today that they've hired a couple of guys to write a Justice League script for a live action film.  No details have been released of course, as this is about the earliest stage a movie can be at; really, I'm surprised they made an announcement at all.  My major question at this point is, are they going the core, big name characters, or more B-level folks?  I'd bet on the latter, but hope for the former.  What do others think?

Id suspect that rights issues would preclude any of the Big 3 appearing.

I'd hope for some of the Big Guns (Flash, GL) and a mix of B (Plastic Man, Aquaman) and C (Fire, Ice) listers.

I'd be afraid until I hear a definitive character list.

Protomorph

I'd be all for it, if it were done right.

I agree with Bredon that any of the big 3 would be tough. Heck, even Flash would be iffy, aren't they working on that movie too?

I wouldn't mind seeing Martian Manhunter (David Odgen Stiers, stay home please), Green Lantern, Hawkman, maybe Firestorm, Atom, Power Girl, Zatanna, Aquaman, Plastic Man, etc. you can still have heavy hitters, without the big 4

Cardmaster

Haha, apparently we're so scared of the legal people, we haven't even mentioned "The Big Four/Three" by name in this thread yet. ^_^

-CM

BentonGrey

Man, if they can get their acts together, this could be the greatest freakin' movie..........who would be a big enough threat for the League?

konbiz

Hopefully this won't be as bad as the last live action JLA move....  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Protomorph

I ain't a'scared!

I AIN'T A'SCARED 'A NOTHIN'!!!!!!!

Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman
:ph34r:

Mr. Hamrick

Consider this . . .

• Warner Bros. owns DC Comics and has thus put out the Batman and Superman related films.
  • A JLA could feature Superman and Batman though only should if Bale and Routh play the characters.
  • The movie would be ideal for "establishing" several heroes for the non-comic book fans out there.  Ideally, this is what they are planning.
  • If you REALLY wanted to go down that road.  Warner Bros. and DC could put the film in development then turn around greenlight "Flash" and "Green Latern" and then fasttrack Wonder Woman.  You'd have five characters already introduced.
  • Another MAJOR possibility there is that they could implement Cyborg, Green Arrow, Flash, and Aquaman from the Smalllville series into the mix since all have been introduced.

Revenant

I would die if they actually got the Big Three in this!  And it would have to include Routh, Bale and whoever plays Wondy and Flash.  But regardless, what storyline would they do and have it be believable?  Appelaxian invasion is kinda hokey, White Martians would be better, but then it turns into an alien movie.

I have always wanted to see a better written version of Trinity (by Matt Wagner) made into a movie.  It could pit Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman up against Ra's Al Ghul, Bizarro and Artemis (or a random evil Amazon).  The heroes ranks would be bolstered by the Flash, Green Lantern, maybe Aquaman, Cyborg and Green Arrow.  For additional villains they could introduce Killer Frost, Black Manta, Dr. Light...

Ras plots to bring on armaggedon as usual, enlists some heavy-hitter baddies... Supes and Bats have just met and are learning to work together, Wonder Woman arrives b/c a nuke almost hit Paradise Island, she and Bats have some fiction.   They already have some good, established villains to work with.

From the source article, it seems that top-tier characters are probable.

Flying_Infant

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 23, 2007, 07:47:00 PM

I'd be afraid until I hear a definitive character list.

I'm just afraid period. DC Comics movies tend to....oh...whats the word....blow? I liked Batman Begins good enough, I couldn't sit through Superman.  I'm sorry, I'm still not over the whole horrid Batman movies fiasco. I have no faith in WB.

herodad1

even though im a marvel fan at heart dc does have some good characters that i also grew up with.the problem with the BIG jla is what character could really give them a threat and  not come across to corney for those non-comic movie goers.look at superman returns....supes lifting a whole island.who could stand in their way without  de-powering supes.aliens.yeah ..that always works.it works for superman.

Pyroclasm

Since no details have been released, and it's sort of conceptual right now, isn't it possible they are considering the young hero version done for Smallville?  Eventually they'll try to rework it, and it would end up buried like all the other comic movies that have been in production hell for ages.

Talavar

I doubt they thinking about the version of the JL that appeared on Smallville, just because that's connected to a version of Superman very different from the film version.  If it ties into any version of Superman, it will be the film ones, as its much higher profile.

Sevenforce

If they don't go with the big three, why not Amazo? I don't know whats going on with him nowadays, but he could easily take out B and C listers, couldn't he? :huh:

I don't know...I saw the last live action JL skit...Lets just say the lemon juice still makes my brain twitch <_<

The Hitman

What if they make the Keith Giffen JLA? Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Guy Gardner, Elongated Man, Fire and Ice, etc. I shudder at the thought.

Mr. Hamrick

If I were to be involved in a Justice League script then I would want the following roster:

Flash
Green Lantern (The Hal version or maybe The John Stewart version)
Green Arrow
Black Canary
Zatanna
Ralph Dibny, The Elongated Man
The Atom
and Hawkman

I really would want to work The Question in there but oh well.

Midnite

QuoteIESB Exclusive: The Latest on the Upcoming Justice League of America Film!       PDF        Print        E-mail
Written by Robert Sanchez   
Friday, 17 August 2007

Will the Justice League of America live action feature film ever get off the ground? Much sooner than you may expect!

When the news broke that JLA (Justice League of America) was moving forward with a script written by Kiernan and Michele Mulroney, speculations began that the follow-up to Superman Returns, The Man of Steel, would be delayed or even completely scrapped.

WB studio sources quickly said that was just mere speculation and The Man of Steel was still planned for a first quarter 2008 start date. Even recently, Brandon Routh told us the same thing during a quick red carpet interview at the premiere for Transformers.

At the same time, we are hearing some execs over WB were not happy with the way Superman Returns performed regardless of the $390 million plus worldwide box office take and that's why Justice League is being pushed through the studio at a record pace.

The JLA script has been received with open arms by Warners and the goal is for the film to be the launching point for The Flash, Wonder Woman, The Green Lantern and Aquaman as well as rejuvenate Superman.

When do the powers-that-be want to start production on Justice League? Apparently, as soon as the first quarter of 2008, that's right, WB sources have informed the IESB that execs behind the Justice League of America want it to be in production as early as February/March 2008 to be ready for a summer of 2009 release.

What's the rush? The pending strikes are definitely one of the reasons that Warner Bros. wants to move quickly on the ensemble pic. They also want to start building a fan base behind the new heroes that will help them go on to have their own stand-alone films.

Some questions arise. What will happen to The Man of Steel film that Bryan Singer has already signed on to do? Would Warner Brothers be willing to lose the money they would have to pay to Singer regardless if he directs the film or not? Will Christian Bale and Brandon Routh reprise their roles as Batman and Superman?

ImageSome rumors indicate that studio execs have considered recasting Superman and a few names have popped up. But the honest truth is that the studio just does not know at this time whether Routh will return or not. We'll just have to wait and see.

And Batman? If Justice League starts production early '08 that would give Bale a three to five month break between "Batman" films. Would he do it? Would the production team behind the Batman films be accommodating? Would they allow one of their three-picture-options with Bale to be used on an ensemble film? Would Justice League be the last Batman film that Bale takes part in?

Those questions are the ones I have been trying to get answered but have not been able to get anyone to comment officially.

I want to be very clear about this, I want to see a JLA film very badly and I am pretty certain that George Miller will direct. The problem that I have is I can't foresee the Nolan camp, including producer Charles Roven, to lose the third stand-alone Batman film by allowing Bale to JLA instead. Maybe Warners should bring a few of the Batman/TDK producers on board the JLA production to keep that camp happy.

Bottom line, the decision will come from Warner Bros., both Christian Bale and Brandon Routh are signed for a total of three films and one film can be an ensemble pic.

I have to wonder if they are willing to pay the huge amount of money to Bale to keep him for possible future JLA and Batman films. I definitely think he's worth it but it's not my checkbook.

Routh's price tag is no where near Bale's and I'd bet he'd be willing to do possible future JLA and Superman films.

Finally, what about Singer's The Man of Steel? At this stage in the game, yes, it appears that the Man of Steel will be pushed back to accommodate Justice League.

Does that mean that Singer is out and the sequel to Superman Returns scrapped? Not likely.

As I mentioned earlier, Bryan Singer has already signed on to do The Man of Steel and his team is reportedly already working on the film. I find it hard to believe that the studio would be willing to lose the money that will have to be paid to Singer if they decide to drop the project. I just can't see that happening.

Our sources have confirmed earlier reports that the Justice League of America film will consist of at least Superman (Clark Kent), Batman (Bruce Wayne), Wonder Woman (Princess Diana), The Flash (Barry Allen), Aquaman and the Green Lantern (John Stewart) and will follow the OMAC storyline and also feature Maxwell Lord.

Within a few weeks, George Miller should be confirmed as the director and casting should commence immediately. The priority for the studio will have to be to figure out what they are doing with Superman and Batman.

It would be a mistake on Warner Bros. part to recast Superman, Brandon did a fine job and under Miller's direction he could do great, besides I hear that Warner Bros. really dug Bryan Singer's take for the sequel and Michael Dougherty is already working on the new script.

Bottom line, Justice League of America will start shooting early 2008.

Stay tuned to the IESB as we bring you the latest Movie News!

QuoteNews

Reynolds on Flash in Justice League Movie
Source: MTV
August 20, 2007

MTV caught up with Ryan Reynolds, who has been mentioned often as a frontrunner for The Flash. In the quotes, he leaves the door open that he might be involved with the Justice League of America movie instead of a standalone flick:

I don't really know how much I'm allowed to talk about that stuff. But I'm sure they'll figure out something. It's no secret that they have a JLA script and it's a project that's in development – the contents of which, who knows. We'll see."

Visit the link above for more on this.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/08/20/breaking-ryan-reynolds-says-hes-up-for-justice-league-film/

GhostMachine

I'd hate to be the casting director. Especially if a Wonder Woman movie doesn't get off the ground first and they decide to use the Big 3. I've been in on about three different discussions regarding casting Wonder Woman at 2 different boards (One of them had two separate discussions about it, several months apart), and the consensus at one of them is that they'd have to go with an unknown for the part or make some compromises that would royally suck. To fit the role, you'd need a tall, athletic, drop-dead gorgeous woman either in their mid-20s or able to pass for being around that age. At one of the boards, someone mentioned Katie Holmes had been rumored to be one of the candidates; knowing Hollywood, I wouldn't be surprised, but if that's true, I hope whoever made her a candidate gets the psychiatric help they so obviously need.

UnkoMan

Okay, here's my little opinion. I don't want to see a Justice League movie. I really don't. Why? Too big. It's just too big. In an individual character's movie you get to see their whole story. A movie like this would probably end up glossing over a lot of people. Most would become basically scenery, while one or two stand out (Like say Wolverine in the X-Movies). Now, it'd be cool for them all to have individual movies first, then a huge JLA movie (with Darkseid as the villain, obviously people) that is epic in scope. But like that would happen. Don't be crazy.

Anyhow, blah blah, whatever. I'm too tired for more writing.

BatWing

i'm speechless
it'll probaly be like the x men or fantastic four

Jakew

I think the Satellite era League or Giffen's League would translate best.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Apparently the script is now finished, and the execs are very happy with it.

GogglesPizanno

Quote...and the execs are very happy with it.

The same execs that were happy with Superman Returns??
Ugh....

Midnite

Who do you prefer for the live action role of the Flash? Ryan Reynolds or Michael Rosenbaum?

GogglesPizanno

Live action?
Ryan Reynolds....

Xorn

It seems it won't be "live" action but all-cgi "photo-real" motion capture....  I feel like this at the moment...  :banghead:

See the article at the link below:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6235

yell0w_lantern

That's interesting... I wonder how they'll motion-capture the Flash or Green Lantern approaching the speed of light.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteI feel like this at the moment...   :banghead:

I concur.
Lame.

Sword

apparently, both Christian Bale and Brandon Routh have declared that they will not take part in a League movie until their trilogies are over.