Apparently the random themes challenge and the Amalgam challenge are popular with you guys (and gals). I will definitely revisit them again. However, I'm pretty sure that if I just alternated random themes and amalgam from now on it will start to get stale. So I have created this thread to get some challenge ideas. Also, below you will find the list of themes from the random themes challenge. Perhaps some of you can offer additional theme ideas to add to that list.
Note: The description provided is only meant to explain the assignment title.)
1) Horror: Your character has been or is transformed into a creature of darkness.
2) Western: Your character came to be during the height of the Old West.
3) Ultimate: Reimagined for a gritty modern world. This isn't your 616 kind of hero!
4) Child: Any age from baby to teenager. Your character started his adventures at an earlier age.
5) Pirate: Forget modern times, your character existed durring the age of pirates.
6) Post-Apocalypse: Some sort of disaster has ruined the world. Despite that, your character continues to survive. Conversely, perhaps the character came into being in this harsh new world instead.
7) Alignment Swap: Good becomes evil. Evil becomes good. What would your character be like if he played for an opposing team?
8) Movie: Due to the success of a related comic character's movie, you've been given the task of redesigning this character for a mainstream movie audience.
9) Medieval Fantasy: Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, etc. You know the drill. The character exists in a medieval world of magic & monsters.
10) Space Opera: Aliens, Space-age knights, Smugglers, etc. Your character exists in a sci-fi fantasy universe or perhaps just a galaxy far far away...
11) Old: The character is just shy from living in the home of retired superheroes. Perhaps this is at the tail end of the character's existence, perhaps how he/she would look on his/her last mission...
12) Robot: The character was built, not born. It's abilities are completely artificial, perhaps being a robot, cyborg, android or other construct.
13) Next Generation: A new person has taken on the mantle of the character. Maybe the character is related, hired, or perhaps just following in the footsteps of a legend...
14) Gender Swap: Make a female version of a male character or vice versa. Not crossdressing but rather what if your character was born of the different gender? Or what would someone else look like if they were mimicking the style? Think Superman/Supergirl or even Captain America/American Dream.
15) Silver/Golden Age: Totally retro. The character existed in comic's past. Part camp, Part innocence, all hero.
16) Pet/Furry: Lycanthrope (Captain America as Wolf), animal hero (Underdog) or perhaps just the character's faithful companion (Krypto)...
17) HEROES: This is a world where the ordinary are extraordinary and vice versa. Just regular people who come upon powers. What would their job be like? What would they look like in a world where the heroes aren't musclebound beefcakes and their identity takes precedence over their abilities?
18) Evolved: The character's abilities have been increasing and adapting. Think how over the years some comic characters gain new abilities or mutate into new forms. Perhaps their powers are forced into overdrive making them freaks among freaks...
19) Magic/Supernatural: All heroes in this world derive their abilities from a magical or supernatural source. Magical items, deals with demons, magical spells, etc.
20) Pro Wrestler: The world has no superpowered people. But the luchadors are the most popular form of entertainment. When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room... It's for fun...
21) Historic: The catchall category for other historical time periods not covered in other categories. Ancient Greece, the Rennascaince, Ancient Egypt...
22) Steampunk: Victorian era sci-fi adventure ala Jules Verne, Alan Quartermain, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
23) Megalomaniac: Not just a villain, but the uberpowered bast**d that destroys the world's supers for their cause. If you get this theme and a megalomaniac, just try and push the envelope further.
24) Fascist: Cold and imposing. Where heroes are enforcers and villains are dictators. Everything you'd expect for a Cold-War Soviet Union, 1984, Logan's Run, V for Vendetta, Equilibrium, etc.
25) Failed Clone: Whether the result of genetic experiments, a duplication machine or a magical bolt of energy, the character was duplicated. Only it didn't turn out so well. The character may be underpowered, overpowered, or just plain ugly.
Disclaimer: I will consider every idea posted in this thread. I will also consider everyone's feedback on those ideas. I can't guarantee all of them will be used, however.
Edit: Added in some of the randomizer themes suggested in this thread. 5-06-07