• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Star Trek (2009)

Started by udasu, March 01, 2007, 07:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

udasu

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/45415.html

I hate this retro stuff. Why can't they continue on with the post-Dominion era of SF?

BentonGrey

Well, look how well it worked for Star Wars..........ohh......wait......

udasu

The remastered Trek is actually tasteful and cool, I think. But this franchise is like watching a trainwrek, then the wreck falls off a cliff, then maybe into a volcano..

BentonGrey

I am really enjoying it whenever I see a remastered episode on TV, and I'll probably buy the set one day, but the movies.......ha.

Talavar

I like some of the movies, but a prequel with young Kirk and Spock?  No thank you.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The problem is that no one is willing to do anything new and fresh with Star Trek--at least not in the right way.

Several fan productions have done so.  The audio Section 31 files, for example, have a plot the bests anything Star Trek has done for years.

But instead, this next movie may very well be another flop, and Paramount will insists once again that Star Trek is dead.

GhostMachine

Agreed, cat.

If they wanted to do a new Trek movie, they should have done something combining cast members from previous Trek series, since a feature film introducing a new crew would be a bad idea. A movie featuring characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager joining forces would rock - as long as there are no Borg in sight and Captain Janeway isn't the commanding officer, that is.

I know I won't be going to see this movie, or catching it on cable or dvd, if it happens. Its a seriously bad idea, just like the Enterprise tv series was.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, they were talking for a while about doing a movie with a whole new crew and ship made just for the movie.  I thought that would be an excellent idea.  The characters and situation could then be made to fit the needs of the plot and of movies in general and would force the writers to hopefully do something original with the franchise.

But once again, they took a great fresh new idea and just discarded it.  People in suits should not control the way art is made.  Not unless they happen to be artists who ware really snazzy dressers, that is.

udasu

The "Shatnerverse" books, though they focus on Kirk, do a good job of combining all of the crews in the post-dominion era. It follows the lead of the various 24th Century series.

BentonGrey

I have a friend how is a really big Trekkie, and he has a lot of good things to say about those books.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Although Shatner doesn't really write them.  Ghost writers, you know, who has since gone on to write on their own.

style

With All the other revamps with Star Trek, in the words of Puff, "You know they had to do a remix!"
This looks good:
http://trekmovie.com/2008/10/15/more-star-trek-images-enterprise-crew-nero/

BWPS

Sylar Spock is just too awesome. I'm excited about this.

Podmark

MJB

I'm sure there will be a LOT of negativity towards this flick in the many months until it's release. The only thing I have to say thus far is... WTF is Kirk doing wearing a solid black uniform? I'm down with changes that progress the story but I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the fact that Kirk is wearing a Black uni.

-MJB

JKCarrier

Quote from: MJB on October 17, 2008, 12:57:32 AM
I'm down with changes that progress the story but I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the fact that Kirk is wearing a Black uni.

Supposedly, there is a "story reason" for the black shirt, so I guess we'll see. The most important question remains unanswered: Will Uhura be wearing a mini-skirt?  :D

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, in the orignal series, Kirk does wear all sort of different and often casual looking uniforms, so this hardly bothers me.

Talavar

In one of the crew shots that have been released a woman is wearing a mini-skirt - I'm not certain its Uhura, because I don't know who the actress is playing Uhura.  I'm personally of the opinion that women in a futuristic space agency/military having mini-skirts as part of their uniform is moronic, but your milage may vary.

I don't necessarily think this is going to be a good movie, but I understand why they've decided to do it (ie. remake the original crew): Star Trek fandom alone can't make a movie a hit.  The Trek movies that did the best financially were the ones that crossed over the most to casual SF fans, or people who aren't Trek fans at all.  Those people might have seen the odd episode of TNG, and probably none of DS9, Voyager or Enterprise; they don't know who the Dominion are, are any of the crap that festooned Voyager - but they all know Kirk, Spock & McCoy.  Now, pissing Treck fandom off is a bad way to go as well, there's nothing like giving a movie a poisonous buzz before a trailer's even been released, so it's a tightrope they've got to walk.

A Star Trek movie with a totally new ship & crew would have no reasons to be made.  Even Star Trek fans wouldn't know the characters, so you might as well ditch the setting and just make an original sci-fi movie.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteA Star Trek movie with a totally new ship & crew would have no reasons to be made.  Even Star Trek fans wouldn't know the characters, so you might as well ditch the setting and just make an original sci-fi movie.

Personally, I think that would be a great idea.  I don't see any problem with continuing the universe with a new set of characters that can be suited to fit a movie format and take advantage of the big budget better.  Personally, I would have preferred it.

BentonGrey

I'm mildly interested in this.  Kirk and Spock are awesome characters, so there is a slim chance this could be good.

cmdrkoenig67

I'm not in any way, a Trekkie, but I have enjoyed some of the series and films.

Maybe the Star Trek franchise is stagnant because they've been so obsessed with nearly every series and film having to be tied somehow to an "Enterprise"?  It just seems like they're constantly trying to reinvent the original.

ST: Voyager was more in the vein of the original, yet it chose a different ship and crew to do the exploring (probably a better way to go).  Star Trek: Deep Space 9 wasn't really a "Star Trek", was it?  More of a "Star Base" kind of show.   

Hopefully it will be well done...We'll see. 

Dana

Podmark

I'm actually really excited about this movie. I like JJ Abrams, I think Zachery Quinto is a great choice for Spock, and I think this could be a cool remake. Now I am too young to have watched the original Trek when it was on so I don't have huge feelings for the original crew compared to the later series so that's probably part of it.

Voyager and Enterprise tore Star Trek down with boring repetitive stories, I'm ready for something different.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 17, 2008, 10:09:11 AM
QuoteA Star Trek movie with a totally new ship & crew would have no reasons to be made.  Even Star Trek fans wouldn't know the characters, so you might as well ditch the setting and just make an original sci-fi movie.

Personally, I think that would be a great idea.  I don't see any problem with continuing the universe with a new set of characters that can be suited to fit a movie format and take advantage of the big budget better.  Personally, I would have preferred it.

The problem is that it's got a tiny built-in audience, the thing that motivates studios to develop franchises, and adapt books, comics, tv shows, etc.  Without much of a built-in audience, there's very little motivation for a studio to make it, and no reason at all to give it a big budget.  The only reason a studio would take that kind of gamble would be if a creative type with a lot of buzz or influence wanted to push it through - like JJ Abrams has with this prequel/reboot - but most creative people with that sort of clout would rather play in the established sandbox - ie, using the well-known characters.

Just the Star Trek setting alone, without any well-known characters would draw in some people, but probably about as many as having the 'Star Trek' title in the name would immediately turn away - because there people, even fans of other types of sci-fi, who are immediately against all things Trek (don't ask me why, I think it's pathological).  And Star Trek fandom is incredibly fractured.  Ask a group of Star Trek fans what they think of the setting after Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise, and you'll get some wildly varied and rabid responses.  

I personally hated Voyager with the fury of a thousand suns, and any Trek movie based on developments from that show would get zero interest from me.  DS9 was great, but it was never a terribly popular show, and in a lot of ways lost some of the feel of Star Trek - a movie based on developments from it would be totally unfamiliar to a lot of people who'd consider themselves moderate fans, let alone the general public.  It would also receive zero interest from a component of the core fandom.

cmdrkoenig67

Well...maybe some of the people that are "against all things Trek" are so, simply because it isn't their cup o'?  I don't think it has to be pathological...Just a question of preferences.

I myself, am more of a Space:1999, Outer Limits, Aliens fan.

The same fractured fandoms can be found in <insert name of sci-fi series or film franchise> fandoms too.  Example: Some fans of Space:1999 will only watch Year One and some refuse to admit that Year Two even exists...Seriously (not me, but some do). 

Dana

House Quake

I consider myself a trekker/trekkie to a moderate degree.  I'm really not too excited about this movie.  Like others I really wish they would just created a new ship... new crew... based in the trek universe  after the last movie... but with few ties to the other series an movies.

People don't have to be familiar with the characters all ready.  At some point all the characters were new.

Talavar

Quote from: House Quake on October 17, 2008, 07:20:05 PM
I consider myself a trekker/trekkie to a moderate degree.  I'm really not too excited about this movie.  Like others I really wish they would just created a new ship... new crew... based in the trek universe  after the last movie... but with few ties to the other series an movies.

People don't have to be familiar with the characters all ready.  At some point all the characters were new.

True, but there's no draw to making it 'Star Trek' if all the characters are new - the creators are taking a lot of baggage on board (continuity, a critical fanbase, others) but not getting much for the trouble beyond the name of an ailing franchise above the title.

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on October 17, 2008, 12:39:49 PM
Well...maybe some of the people that are "against all things Trek" are so, simply because it isn't their cup o'?  I don't think it has to be pathological...Just a question of preferences.

I myself, am more of a Space:1999, Outer Limits, Aliens fan.

The same fractured fandoms can be found in <insert name of sci-fi series or film franchise> fandoms too.  Example: Some fans of Space:1999 will only watch Year One and some refuse to admit that Year Two even exists...Seriously (not me, but some do). 

Dana

I can understand people just not liking Star Trek if they've watched a few episodes, maybe from a couple of the series - but those aren't really people I meant when I said pathological.  I've known people who won't even look at it if they hear Star Trek; they've made up their mind what that means without ever actually watching an episode or a movie, and have decided it's bad.

Other fanbases are fractured too, but most of those other fandoms aren't counting on the fanbase to stake a feature film on - which is what the studio would be doing if they made a Trek movie that had limited appeal beyond the fanbase.

Bujin

Recently, I was dragged to an indie film called "Bottleshock".  It was surprisingly good, and the lead actor was Christopher Pine, who plays Kirk.  I think he'll be great in the role, and I agree that Quinto will be a terrific Spock.

I'm excited for this version of Trek.

jtharris86

Not really a star trek fan but I always love what they do with the movies and I'm liking the few pics they have revealed

Midnite

Podmark

Sylar as Spock is just prefect. Really looking forward to this.