• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Obscure Heroes

Started by Green Hornet, March 13, 2007, 07:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Green Hornet

Has anyone made a mesh or skin for the Inferior 5

kssaints

Well Merriman has been done by Tommyboy. I am hoping to do the rest. They should be easy to hex. The only one I have started was the Blimp. Cause there ain't enough fat guys in the superhero biz.
Kssaints

detourne_me

righteous!  wasn't he one of booster gold's pall bearers?

FLASH_22798

Actually, I think Kenn X hexxed/skinned the Inferior 5 awhile back.   You may want to contact him for their location.

Green Hornet

:thumbup: excellent Blimp!

Green Hornet

Has the Blimp been released yet? :unsure:

kssaints

Hey there Hornet,
Blimp hasn't been released yet. I was hoping to nifscope the rest of the team and release them all together. I just haven't had time to finish them yet. But I haope to finish them in May sometime.

Green Hornet

:) Thanks kssaints for the update.  no hurry I don't want to rush you.

Green Hornet

Has anyone done The Spider or The Arrow or Major Victory?  :rickbm 

BatWing

anyone could do the arrow easily
just need a archer mesh with a hood
and color bam!

GhostMachine

The screwy thing is, on the cover of The Spider that Green Hornet posted, that's not what the character actually looked like! The company that put out the magazine thought that the character's real appearance was too ghastly, so they usually used a cover featuring him as a masked hero, when he actually has no mask, long (for the 30's-40's) hair and spider-like fangs.

http://www.thepulp.net/realspider.html?photo=1

tommyboy

Depends which "the spider" you mean.
If its the Archer connected to the Shade/7 soldiers of victory, I've meshes and skinned him as hes a major playable character in my E2:Elseworlds at War Mod*.*(as yet unfinished/unreleased)
If you mean some other "the spider", dunno.   

detourne_me

thanks to Irrational games allowing kitbashing,  i've cobbled together this skin/mesh. hopefully it's a good placeholder until someone with talent comes around.  i gave him fangs and a mask.  cause well, i like masks.

GhostMachine

Nice job on the kitbash, detourne_me. :) Pulp_versatile hex?

Quote from: tommyboy on July 12, 2007, 05:53:48 AM
Depends which "the spider" you mean.
If its the Archer connected to the Shade/7 soldiers of victory, I've meshes and skinned him as hes a major playable character in my E2:Elseworlds at War Mod*.*(as yet unfinished/unreleased)
If you mean some other "the spider", dunno.   

Nope. Not Alias the Spider, but a pulp character that predates it.

To me, the premise of the Spider has always sounded weak, even for a forties character. He pulls out a pair of fake fangs and sticks them in his mouth and throws on a cape, and that makes crooks scared of him. Puhlease. The masked version usually used on the cover actually looks scarrier than the no-masked fanged version in the stories.

HumanTon

Quote from: GhostMachine on July 12, 2007, 01:39:46 PM
To me, the premise of the Spider has always sounded weak, even for a forties character. He pulls out a pair of fake fangs and sticks them in his mouth and throws on a cape, and that makes crooks scared of him. Puhlease. The masked version usually used on the cover actually looks scarrier than the no-masked fanged version in the stories.

In the stories, the Spider didn't wear the facial makeup, fangs, and a fake hunchback (!) just to frighten criminals--he also wore them permit his allies to easily substitute for him when necessary, and to distract the police from his true identity (they were after him because he killed criminals right and left....I think that's what made crooks so afraid of him.)

As you said, the publishers never used the gruesome hunchback look on the pulp's cover paintings and instead went with a much more conventional masked Spider insted.

On paper the Spider doesn't sound all that interesting, and indeed at the start he's just another Shadow ripoff. But if you read the Spider stories written by Norvell Page they're some of the best of the hero pulps. The Spider's adventures are more action-packed, epic and superheroic than any of the Shadow or Doc Savage stories. And they're slightly better written, too, with a touch more character developement. For example, the Spider's true identity is a millionaire playboy who is close friends with the police comissioner, who is sworn to bring in the Spider. Nothing new there--except that here the comissioner is 95% certain his millionaire friend is really the Spider, he just can't prove it. So there's a tension in their scenes not present in, say, Bruce Wayne's conversations with Comissioner Gordon.

I'm reading a cool collection of Spider stories right now called Robot Titans of Gotham. The first story, from 1939, has the Spider fighting a horde of giant robots rampaging through Manhattan. The scene that stood out as a FF fan is the one where a giant robot picks up a traffic light and starts swinging away while the Spider's bullets bounce uselessly off its metal hide...  The second story deals with the Spider's confrontation with the Bat Man, a mysterious figure who dresses like a bat (and this is from 1935, four years before the first Bruce Wayne story), has artificial wings on his back that allow him to glide ... and who also raises thousands of ravenous vampire bats with poisoned fangs that he uses to kill hundreds of people. And that's just for practice, mind you.

GhostMachine

HumanTon, if you click on the link in my initial post, you can find some pics of covers to The Spider where they actually did use the version that appeared in the story on the covers. However, they only used the in-story version on the covers a handful of times.

I completely forgot about the fake hunchback part of his schtick, but that's understandable since I've only read about 2 Spider stories, and that was a few years ago.

As long as we're bringing up a few obscure heroes, I'd like to toss out a request for a skin of....The Avenger:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/a/avenger2.htm
http://www.capitalcomics.com/covers/01519.jpg

Not sure what mesh he'd go on, but it would likely require a hex, as he HAS to have the gun and knife (referred to as "Mike & Ike").

HumanTon

I second the nomination for a proper Avenger hex/skin. I've wanted a Shadow/Doc Savage/Avenger/G-8 squad forever. (I'm not sure how to manage G-8, what with the biplane and all...)

detourne_me

The avenger could be done on a val_helsing or Taskmaster hex, easily

and Renegade made a toy bi-plane nif,   it could be hexed into a larger size maybe.

Green Hornet

Another cover with the Spider

kssaints

Hey there everyone,
I too always liked the Avenger and Justice Ink. So I started a skin even though work wore me out today. If there is noone else going to tackle him. I'll do Avenger. What suggestions for a mesh or hex do you have. I just put it on a tom_versatile stripped down to basic. I generally use Tommyboy's stuff for my hexes. But am open to ideas or help. Well anyway here's a peak at the beginnings of the Avenger skin.

GhostMachine

Looks cool! Is that C6's costume base?

As for a mesh, a cordless Taskmaster hex (so he can do the rope swing thing) with the hair from another mesh hexed on might work. Just ditch all the weapons except the gun and replace the sword with a dagger.

daglob

What Human Ton forgot to mention is that the reason crooks were scared of The Spider wasn't the fangs or the firght wig or the cloak and hat and hunchback, but it was the fact that he was so efficient at killing them by the droves. He was also totally ruthless: once when he needed a human head (someone had offered reward for The Spider's head, and he was using his), he went out and found a criminal and relieved the felon of his (figuring that the crook wasn't putting it to good use anyway). He made The Execution or The Puunisher look like sissies.
The stories often started in the middle going at full speed, AND THEN THINGS GOT MORE HECTIC! People were murdered by the score, men and women disfigured and mutilated by Evil Death Devices or torture from the Diabolical Mastermind. The Spider is ALWAYS outnumberd, always outgunned, but never outclassed. He seems a little paranoid sometimes (okay, a lot of the time), but, my god, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE OUT TO GET HIM! But usually only once.

He also wasn't that obscure a character, once upon a time.

They aren't for everyone (got a strong stomach?) but I like 'em.

I've done a Spider skin for Gni's Question mesh. There's nobody with the floppy hat and the stringy hair (you could live without the hunchback), but I like the one above. The only thing I would change is make the fangs stick out from the bottom lips.

I'd love to see meshes for The Avenger, The Moon Man (who is described more like a cross between the original Crimson Avenger and Mysterio than he is shown in the books), all Doc's men (I've been trying to turn a male heavy into a male short legs ape arms) and Doc himself (I had a Bama-based Doc skin for male muscular tall, but I haven't been able to find it). I'd like to see a black bat mesh where the fins on his gauntlets work into his cape, like they did originally (Came close on a male alpha mesh). And do you have any idea how many villains a Fu Manchu mesh would sub for? Besides Fu there's Dr. Yen Sin, Wu Fang, Shiwan Khan, Hanoi Shan... the list goes on. And I've never seen a picture of The Octopus, but he's supposed to have some kind of tank or exoskeleton with tentacles...

The thing is, all the heroes (except Doc)need guns. This limits you to what existing mesh you can put them on.

Meanwhile, I'll try and turn Iron Fist into Dr. Evil, and see if I can turn Blackhawk into Captain Action...

GhostMachine

I'm not as familiar with the Spider as I'd like to be. I've read only 2 or 3 stories, and that was a few years ago. None of them are accessible online unless you pay for them, which is a darn shame. You can't find the Shadow or Doc Savage stories online for free, either, but I used to be able to before Conde Nast clamped down on the sites that were posting the old stories for free in .pdf format a couple of years ago. And unfortunately, I found them right around the time the clamp down happened......

*edit* And yes, I know about that company that's released some of the Spider pulp stories in novel formats.

HumanTon

Quote from: daglob on July 14, 2007, 07:37:20 PM
What Human Ton forgot to mention is that the reason crooks were scared of The Spider wasn't the fangs or the firght wig or the cloak and hat and hunchback, but it was the fact that he was so efficient at killing them by the droves.

I did mention it, really I did (tho' not very clearly....)

The Punisher is actually a direct descendent of the pulps. The Punisher was ripped off inspired by The Executioner paperback novels by Don Pendleton, and Pendelton was consciously resurrecting the shoot-first vigilante from the pulps (tho' more Race Williams than the costumed crew.)

The stories often started in the middle going at full speed, AND THEN THINGS GOT MORE HECTIC!

That's what I love about the Spider stories. They make other pulps look positively tame by comparison.

I'd love to see meshes for ... Doc himself.

Afghan Ant did a PV_Doc_Brass hex for Axel Brass from Planetary. Doc Brass is Doc Savage for all intents and purposes, so that's what I use (with the holster hexed off, naturally)

HumanTon

Oh, and kssaints that skin is looking sweet! Have you considered male_sideclose_jacket for the mesh?

YokoBeast

Did anyone make grasshopper?

Green Hornet

New obscure heroes Yank & Doodle, Mysta, Black Owl  :rickbm

GhostMachine

Black Owl has been done, a long time ago by Vigilante, for the male_cape mesh.

http://members.tripod.com/originalvigilante2/page1.htm

daglob

Here's a first take on Major Victory. I've tried to make the suit wrinkly, but it just comes out looking funny. I'm not happy with the collar, either; the stars show up on both sides, and the ones near the points are distorted. I wonder about using a Captain Marvel Mesh instead? May have to try that.  I am also wondering if that suit is suppose to be gold instead of yellow. That would make a lot of difference in the way it's handled.

UnkoMan

I'm just going to say, this thread is wonderful. Hopefully it produced many fantastic skins, hexes, or even meshes.

And detourne, what's that crazy hex? OConner with a cape? I need that. Need.

|