• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Hero Clix as we know it is a thing of the past

Started by cripp12, March 22, 2007, 06:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sword

Great, and here I am having sold off my collection. Time to swing back into it.
The cover art on the Avengers boosters is some beautiful stuff.

captainspud

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding it, but I see character cards as being a terrible, terrible idea. Back when I played, I stored all my Clix as a huge jumble in a bin. Having to match up a stand with a card means I would have to keep them all organized, which I'd never want to do.

It's a good thing I quit, or else I'd totally quit. ;)

cripp12

I could be wrong but my understanding is one card for every sculpt, no matter how many there are for the same character.

BlueBard

Here is the part I'm trying to figure out:

QuoteMoving the experience level of a piece from the figure to the character card allows us to increase the depth of each set. HeroClix will now feature 60 individual characters per set instead of the previous 40. That means that instead of seeing three Iron Man characters, each with a different color ring, you'll see just one Iron Man and one experience level on the character card. This allows us to include an additional 20 different characters for you to collect. Avengers will have the deepest character pool of any HeroClix set ever released.

I don't want to -have- to fool with character cards any more than Spud does.  So I'm trying to figure out if they are optional or not. 
And how the heck are the dials for each experience level going to be represented if there's only one figure?

If I have to match up a character card with a figure in order to play that figure at all, I'm going to be disappointed.

gdaybloke

I imagine the experience levels will be handled in the same manner as big figs - each dial will have three potential starting points indicated on the dial.

As for the difficulty of matching up figures with cards, Star Wars Minis and D&D Minis seem to do it just fine.

cripp12

There will no longer be experience levels. i guess they will designate the amounts.
1. The character card is a mini-PAC that shows you what the powers on the dial mean. Aside from the new Special Power (read: character specific feat) some figures will have, the powers will remain the same as the ones currently on the PAC.

2. The dials will continue to have colored powers on them.

3. You may get several different Iron Men in a set or they may only release one. There are no more R/E/V's -- there are only rarity levels. You will not have to buy booster after booster to get the card that comes with  Iron Man -- he will come packed with his own card, as will the other figures in the boosters.

4. You do not need the character cards to play your figures. I'm not 100% on whether or not you'd need the card to be able to use the Special Powers, though.

Sounds simple enough.

BlueBard

Quote from: cripp12 on March 22, 2007, 09:58:18 AM
There will no longer be experience levels. i guess they will designate the amounts.

3. You may get several different Iron Men in a set or they may only release one. There are no more R/E/V's -- there are only rarity levels. You will not have to buy booster after booster to get the card that comes with  Iron Man -- he will come packed with his own card, as will the other figures in the boosters.

There will too be experience levels.  The experience level will be on the card.  They said so.

So in order to get R/E/V Iron Man, I still have to buy booster after booster to get all three levels of Iron Man cards, if that holds true.  The figure itself will have a 'rarity level' that I assume will be different for the different experience levels and dials for that figure.

This isn't about making the game easier or more fun to play, it won't change the idea that you're still buying booster after booster trying to complete a set, and it won't reduce the number of duplicates.  This is about making HC somehow 'more collectible' and 'more interesting'.  I can't blame them for that, really; it just doesn't impress me a whole lot.

I can't be terribly upset.  I haven't played HC in ages as the local venue sucks and I haven't picked up many new boosters in awhile.

cripp12

There will not be 3 different sculpts for each character.

"Moving the experience level of a piece from the figure to the character card allows us to increase the depth of each set. HeroClix will now feature 60 individual characters per set instead of the previous 40. That means that instead of seeing three Iron Man characters, each with a different color ring, you'll see just one Iron Man and one experience level on the character card. This allows us to include an additional 20 different characters for you to collect. Avengers will have the deepest character pool of any HeroClix set ever released."

Sounds like as long as you have one you have them all.

lugaru

Sounds great to me AS LONG s they use the cards to break the rules. Seriosly, this would be awesome. That would mean characters with unique powers that better model their skills much like with D&D minnies. Im looking foward to it and almost wish they would of done it already for Origin.

Pyroclasm

They developed the character card model for Horrorclicx.  It's a great mechanic and one of the more popular additions to a clix game.  Apparently when the demo referree at DragonCon told me it was being tested for Heroclix, he wasn't kidding.  I've been told Heroclix and Horrorclix work together well, so this must be the next step to making them work seamlessly.  Guess I'm gonna have to get back into Heroclix and send some Avengers against the monsters.

cripp12

Quote from: lugaru on March 22, 2007, 03:20:16 PM
Sounds great to me AS LONG s they use the cards to break the rules. Seriosly, this would be awesome. That would mean characters with unique powers that better model their skills much like with D&D minnies. Im looking foward to it and almost wish they would of done it already for Origin.

Your wish is my command.  No special powers but here is the list of key words for Origins. They will be releasing them for all sets. This Themed team thing looks cool.   
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/documents/OriginKeyword.pdf

Spam

This pack will more then likely put me back into HeroClix.  :wacko:

Right when I thought I had stopped...  :unsure:

FORIAMSPAM!

Xenolith

Hmm.  I'm interested in collected HeroClix so I can repaint them and use them for Super System 2 or Mutants and Masterminds.  I hope the new wave of figures have better looking figures.  The DC clix are normally pretty good, but some o' dem Marvel ones are kinda iffy.

Mr. Hamrick

I'm still wishing to get rid of a bunch of mine . . .

cripp12

BlueBard

Quote from: cripp12 on March 22, 2007, 12:56:48 PM
There will not be 3 different sculpts for each character.

I never said there would be.  In fact, past figures used mostly the same dang sculpt for all or most versions of that character in the set with only the dials themselves being different, so that's not new.

I'm just going to wait and see what they do.  No point in arguing about it.

BentonGrey

You know, if I had a son, I would deffinetly get involved in Heroclix.  I can't really justify it now though, no one I know plays, and I'm pretty sure that my wife would laugh herself silly if I started buying them ;)

cripp12

honestly I have never played a game with them. I have 2 5 year olds that I modified the  game to.

Dweomer Knight

I hope they improve/modify the Team Ability concept.  From the outset it was, IMO, one of the weakest aspects of the game.  Some TA's just plain suck and they weren't very thematic or individual.  Why do the Avengers and Brotherhood have the exact same TA but the X-Men (more thematically similar to the Brotherhood) don't.  The Defender and F4 abilties made some thematic sense but the rest just seemed a random ability that may or may not require a teammate.  I also hate the Wildcards.  It's stupid that the Legion of Superheroes is strongest when they don't fight together.  And it's also stupid that someone like Spiral can duplicate any team ability but Dr. Strange can't.  Wildcards, if you're going to use them at all, should have been restricted to sorcerous and cosmic powered characters where it would have made sense for them to be able to do that; not Black Cat and Saturn Girl.

I worry about the "one sculpt, 3 cards idea".  I don't want to get stuck with 27 Iron Mans but only have the Rookie card.  That would blow chunks.  I want to see less fig duplication, not more.

I'm also leery of trying to fit a full REV of a toon on a single dial.  A dial only has 11 useable clicks on it and even weak characters have 6.  That doesn't leave a lot of room for variation.

DK

cripp12

DK,
I don't know to much about the team ability but to answer your other questions, every fig you get in a box will be accompanied with its card.
Also, they are not fitting all of the characters experience on one dial. They will decide which level the sculpt will be and iclude the appropriate card for that sculpt.  They may decide to have just one level of Ironman in the whole set and the card that comes in the box will say what level it is.
This will allow for more choices but it does not mean you will not get tons of one character like the past. It all depends on its rarity:
White = Common
Green = Uncommon
Silver = Rare
Gold = Super Rare
So expect to see alot of Whites.

Dweomer Knight

cripp12:  Thanks for that info.  I wonder how this will affect distribution.  I got out of clix for a while because I got tired of paying $200-$300 for a case only to have to crank out another $100 to get the 8-12 REV's and 4 U's that I didn't get.  However, this was still more monetarily efficient than buying individual boosters.  After Armor Wars, if you bought a sealed case, you got the whole set of REV's and U's; that got me back into it.  I really don't want to go back to the old way. 

Star Wars minis have both rares and ultra rares and it's rough trying to get an Ultra if you don't pull one.  Even a mediocre Ultra goes for $30+ and the good ones for over $50.  On average, you would pull an Ultra instead of a normal rare about 1/3 or 1/4 of the time.  Even worse is Mechwarrior which has Common, Uncommon and then 5 different levels of Rare.  The only good thing was you always got some type of rare in every booster; Heroclix has never done that.

So I'm slightly nervous about the "Super" Rare idea.  I guess it'll come down to how many rares and super rares are in each set and what are you guaranteed to get by buying a brick or case.  If it goes back to the old way, I'm probably out again.  The cases are too expensive to not get a full set and individual boosters don't offer good pulls (no auto rares in HC; hell, you were't even guaranteed an uncommon.  I pulled many boosters filled with nothing but rarity 1's and 2's).

DK

cripp12

I read they are making alot of changes. 
- More places will have them like Walmart type stores.
- there will now be 5 figs in a box.
- Each position in the box will have contain a different rarity. 2 commons, 1 uncommon, 1 rare (or super-rare) and the 5th slot could contain any of the above. (comon super-rare)
The fifth can be a duplicated rarity. 

Here is a pic
http://wizarduniverse.stores.yahoo.net/apr075221.html

here are 15 names so far.
Red Skullw/Cosmic Cube
Taskmaster/original costume
Black Panther
Bucky
Captain America
Citizen V
Giant-Man
Spider-Man
Moon Knight
The Colonel
Ultimate Falcon
Ultimate Iron Man
Ultimate Hulk
Wasp
Wiccan

There are also pics of two of the legion sculpts as well...
http://wizarduniverse.stores.yahoo.net/apr075222.html
BTW Lobo is coming

Pyroclasm

Also note that in HorrorClix, the cards are posted online for download.  So it stands to reason that the cards for HeroClix will also be posted.  So if you lose a card, or simply son't want to damage it, you can just go online and print it out.
Also, in HorrorClix, they sometimes have two different sets of abilities on a single card.  For example, a character might start off human, but once they do something that triggers it, you can flip the card and get the "monster" version's powerset.
Another way to use the two sides is to give the character two modes of play.  For example, they have a priest that on one side he's Holy, while the other side he's Unholy.  The character's stats are the same (they're on the dial) but the corresponding colors refer to different powers.  You just choose which he is at the beginning of play.

Both methods will probably be used in HeroClix.  The first is easily for a Hulk-type transformation character, and the second works well for characters that have varied abilities, or sometimes play both sides.

Dweomer Knight

Having the cards online would be nice.

A case of Horrorclix gives you the whole set but Horror doesn't have Super Rares either.  Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Figure Fan

I'm excitied about this! I like the fact that they are personalizing the powers. It gives the game some extra flavor. I hope they introduce some new powers as well, because lately many of the figures aren't as unique as they used to be.

thanoson

Arise! I will give you life. The cards work good with the game. I had to get used to it, but it helps lots. The special "white Power" (is Captain Nazi around?) have some cool things. As I have noticed, they are not releasing multiple lvls per set. At least not in the Avengers set. I'm ok with that, I guess. Some that I liked were Piledriver and Taskmaster. That Tasky is a bad mofo. Not sure why Piledriver is more powerful than the Wrecker, but it's nice to have the full team.

Oh, and Terrax comes out next week. Woot.

steamteck

The cards are nice they model the characters better. I just wish power level creep didn't make the newer figures hard to use with earlier figures.