• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

A poorly organized, not very original rant about anime

Started by captainspud, April 10, 2007, 03:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volsung

I loved Metropolis^^ And that's such a coincidence,I watched it again last week.

Toxic_J

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 16, 2007, 09:32:47 PM
Well...I mean, obviously DM found something to like, but my friend and I who watched it found it utterly terrible.

Agreed, but as with everything else people have different tastes.

So Raijin, to really know if you like Metropolis, you're going to have to see it. ;)

BentonGrey

I would suggest seeing the Fritz Lang silent film of the same name, still one of the greatest of all cinema masterpieces.

UnfluffyBunny

I also liked metropolis, gonna list some anime i'd consider "classics"
Beserk (Griffith ftw! :P)
Guyver (my guyver collection is the original 12 vhs set)
Akira
city hunter
escaflowne
cowboy bebop (radical edwards rules :P)
fist of the north star (series... NOT the movie ¬_¬)
lupin the third
ninja scroll (very first anime I ever saw)
monster city
devil man
Gundam Seed
vampire hunter D
hellsing
sky blue
spirited away
ghost in the shell (I reccomended this to someone and laughed for a very long time when he accused it of ripping off the matrix)
full metal panic
getbackers

my mind's gone pretty blank there, but I will add recently i've been enjoying bleach and full metal alchemist, adn the only reason they werent in my list is because (atleast here) they're incomplete

thanoson

I have a copy of Casshern on dvd. It is visually, quite stunning. The fight scenes are well done and I love the costumes.

Midnight

Quote from: captainspud on April 11, 2007, 01:07:08 AM
I think we're getting a little off-track here... I was trying to start a flame war.

:angry:

I think you're losing your touch.  :blink:

I enjoy mindless big robot anime. The big robots hit each other and it makes me happy.

:)

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: Midnight on April 19, 2007, 06:07:20 AM
Quote from: captainspud on April 11, 2007, 01:07:08 AM
I think we're getting a little off-track here... I was trying to start a flame war.

:angry:

I think you're losing your touch.  :blink:

I enjoy mindless big robot anime. The big robots hit each other and it makes me happy.

:)

I feel the same way about Kaiju (Giant Monsters)!

GO GO GODZILLA!!!

Volsung

kaiju and the only ones who can face them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GYcr3ad4M

I love this extreme uncontrollable (and uncontrolled^^) violence

(But Midnight probably talked about Mazinger or Getter's crew.)

JeyNyce

I'm ols school when it comes to anime.  Most of my collection is on VHS tapes, but here are the stuff I like:

Zillion
Zillion: Burning Knight
Cat Girl nuku nuku
apple seed
Street fighter the movie
Street fighter: the series
Ranma 1/2 ova
Robotech
Battle of the planets (G-Force)
Blood the last Vampire
Vampire hunter D
Angel Cop
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the shell
Arkira
and that's all I can think of right now......

thanoson

Ahh..... Godzilla vs Destroyah. Now, did Godzilla survive that, or was that his kid in the end of the movie?

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: thanoson on April 19, 2007, 03:11:00 PM
Ahh..... Godzilla vs Destroyah. Now, did Godzilla survive that, or was that his kid in the end of the movie?

The answer you seek lies below... MASSIVE SPOILERS!  :lol:

[spoiler]Big G bites the big one in a huge meltdown after taking out Destroyah (with a nice assist to stop Destroyah's escape courtesy of G-Force). Godzilla then begins to meltdown but is bombarded with ice bombs to prevent  his melt down from taking out the Earth, the theory was that if he melted down it would be such a massive one that his remains would eat their way to the center of the Earth and destroy the planet. The freezing bombs seem to work but the massive radiation means much of the area (all of Tokyo basically) is now permanently uninhabitable.

Or is it? See, the reason Big G even bothered to go after Destroyah was that he attacked Little G (SON OF ZILLA!) and apparently killed him. In a rage Godzilla slays Destroyah just before his big melt down. Anyways suddenly the radiation levels go back to normal and a roar is heard. Little G is alive, he rises up and we see him in a new adult form very near identical to his Father.  Godzilla as he died gave up his remaining energy and life essence to his progeny reviving and empowering him.

Coincidentally Destroyah was created by the Oxygen Destroyer that slew the original Godzilla in the first film.[/spoiler]

thanoson

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 19, 2007, 08:33:11 AM
I'm ols school when it comes to anime.  Most of my collection is on VHS tapes, but here are the stuff I like:

Zillion
Zillion: Burning Knight
Cat Girl nuku nuku
apple seed
Street fighter the movie
Street fighter: the series
Ranma 1/2 ova
Robotech
Battle of the planets (G-Force)
Blood the last Vampire
Vampire hunter D
Angel Cop
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the shell
Arkira
and that's all I can think of right now......

I cant believe I forgot about appleseed @_@

(GAH!!! forgot about robotech too!!! shoot me!!!)

GhostMachine

Quote from: thanoson on April 21, 2007, 02:07:56 AM
Ok, so is it Little G or Big G in Final Wars?

Godzilla continuity is all screwed up. The movies following Godzilla vs. Destroyah all take place in alternate universes from each other, except Godzilla x Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S. (aka Godzilla x Mothra x Mechagodzilla), which tie in (the latter being a sequel to the former). Final Wars is more or less an updated version of Destroy All Monsters, with Godzilla's son from 60's movies and a few new monsters (Monster X, Kaiser Ghidorah, Zilla (aka the Tri-Star Godzilla!)) in it in addition to classic ones.

I've seen every Godzilla movie except the last two. Mainly because I can't find either for sale here (did find Final Wars for sale once, but didn't have enough money, and the store doesn't stock it anymore), and I'm probably going to end up ordering them online.

thanoson

Monster X is Gigan or Ghiderah? I know the other is Monster Zero. If you haven't seen it yet, Zilla is dispatched very quickly. Very. There's a scene in the movie where it seems it is Big G doing the stomping. He goes to a japanese town out of revenge.

GrizzlyBearTalon

Monster X is Ghidorah, some say he is actually a chrysalis for Kaizer Ghidorah in Final Wars. Making them in a way totally separate monsters possibly.

Quick Godzilla Timeline!

Original Series (1954-1974):

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
   2. Gigantis, The Fire Monster
      (a.k.a. "Godzilla Raids Again")
   3. King Kong vs. Godzilla
   4. Godzilla vs. the Thing
      (a.k.a. Godzilla vs. Mothra)
   5. Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster
   6. Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
   7. Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster
   8. Son of Godzilla
   9. Destroy All Monsters
  10. Godzilla's Revenge
  11. Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster
  12. Godzilla vs. Gigan
      (a.k.a. "Godzilla on Monster Island")
  13. Godzilla vs. Megalon
  14. Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster
      (a.k.a. "Godzilla vs. The Bionic Monster")
      (a.k.a. "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla")
  15. Terror of Mechagodzilla

"Heisei" Series (1984-1995):

16. Godzilla 1985
  17. Godzilla vs. Biollante
  18. Godzilla vs. King Ghiodrah
  19. Godzilla vs. Mothra
      (a.k.a. "Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth")
  20. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (II)
  21. Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
  22. Godzilla vs. Destroyer

"Alternate Reality" Series (1999 -2001):

23. Godzilla 2000
  24. Godzilla vs. Megaguiras
  25. GMK: All Monsters Attack

New Generation Series (2002 - ):

26. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (III)
  27. Godzilla vs. Mothra vs. Mechagodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
  28. Godzilla: Final Wars

American "Godzilla" Movie (1998):

* "Godzilla"

The Hensei series is the best in my opinion, though Godzilla Final Wars is really really awesome!

Special Thanks to Barry's Temple of Godzilla for the list!

Toxic_J

A few more that I liked and hopefully weren't mentioned yet:

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (as if there's someone out there who didn't see this one yet :P)
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (incredibly silly but... Ok yes I enjoyed it, I admit it! :lol:)
Wonderful Days
Monster
Millennium Actress (Didn't think I'd like this one but it surprised me as a very touching movie... I... I think I have something in my eye...)
Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa (Castle in the Sky, older movie but really nice)
Last Exile (Another surprise as I didn't figure this as watchable to me but it turned out to have quite a nice story)
Elfenlied (Was a bit different from the rest but I was curious... probably not for a younger audience)
Scrapped Princess
Chrno Crusade (They dragged me into the story and I enjoyed it until they lost me a bit with some lesser episodes near the end, but I think it is still worth seeing)
Trinity Blood
Shakugan no Shana (Not the best I've seen and she got on my nerves alot but worth a try)
Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade (Not a happy ending, so be warned...)
Gantz (Hmm what to say... Bodyparts flying around, lots of blood and a weird story)

General Jerky

Alphanaut

You should probably check out Afro Samurai. It's very short (only 5 episodes), so you know it's got to be to the point, and the english version features Samuel L. Jackson!

Viking

First anime I ever saw were the first eight episodes of Ranma: 1/2.  I loved the humor, mostly because the utter ridiculousness was delivered with great sincerity and seriousness.

|