• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

FFX Requests

Started by yell0w_lantern, April 14, 2007, 07:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimethee

Bumping the thread, so people with requests can post them here (hint to Benton ;) ).

BentonGrey

Whoops!  Haha, I suppose this would be the appropriate thread that I didn't see.... :huh:  Ha, sorry guys!  Well, here are the two ideas/requests I mentioned in the other thread:

I've been thinking of FF for the last couple of days, and something occurred to me last night.  I'm sure you all know how much I despise the energy system at work in FF2.....I hate it with every fiber of my being, and I thoroughly believe it takes away from the game's enjoyability.  Well....I was thinking about how for battery powered, we get an energy bar that is something on par with the capacity from the original game through the magic of FFX.  I was just thinking...if we can do that, why can't we bring back something akin to the old energy system.  If there was some way for the energy in battery powered to recharge, and perhaps we could choose different grades of it, like invulnerability....well...we'd never have to curse the design of FF2 again!  Plus, those that actually LIKE the current system could keep using it, since this would have to work as an attribute.  What do y'all think?  If we could figure out how to make them continuosly use a power on command, it would be absolutely perfect!

Anyroad, one of my other thoughts was, the fact that IR left knockback from thrown objects out of FF2 really limits any ground-pounder type character.  Where as Colossus or Aquaman could knock a flier out of the air with a well placed car in FF1, not so here, unless they just happen to KILL them with it.  I remember seeing a discussion on a possible way to fix this with FFX, and I just wanted to add my vote for this to be an objective for the next version of FFX.

Thanks Em!

Epimethee

> I suppose this would be the appropriate thread that I didn't see....
It was indeed well hidden by dust and spider webs.  :P

Energy system change: Just to be certain, what you particularly loathe is the limited number of grades? So, increasing the maximum energy would simulate having a more finely-grained energy selection system, right?

Note that I probably won't be the one doing it, in part because I'm getting very leery (spelled C.H.I.C.K.E.N) when it comes to changing character stats, as it can cause all sorts of bugs. And energy points might be the worse. Unless I'm mistaken, there are still a couple of bugs popping in old attributes using them. Of course, the ideal would be to rewrite/test most of the existing energy-related code to make it more abstract. :ph34r: But then again, there are other, more courageous members in the FFX team, thankfully.

As for knockback, I'm too tempted and I'll have to try, unless someone beats me to it. :) If it works, I'll ty to make it a plugin or at least a preference so people can disable it.

BentonGrey

Thanks Em, it's good news just to hear that you're still thinking about the second part.  To clarify the first point, I find myself thoroughly enjoying playing with characters with battery powered, as I feel more like I'm playing FF1...I don't have to stop doing anything after using a power three wopping times at best.  If there were a constant fire key, I'd be in heaven.  My hope is that something can be worked out to simulate FF1 energy systems, even if we can't simulate the power cost levels.

Epimethee

> I don't have to stop doing anything after using a power three wopping times at best.
Good point.

> If there were a constant fire key, I'd be in heaven.
You mean something like the "f" key in FF1? :S (I miss that one badly too.)

> My hope is that something can be worked out to simulate FF1 energy systems, even if we can't simulate the power cost levels.

While this isn't perfectly convenient, as USAgent mentioned in your original thread, custom characters can be set to use the old values using a hero editor. And you could quite probably use Stumpy's DATFiles on built-ins (cf. the FFX documentation).

Lunarman

Right here's an idea. If the energy costs are still there in the engine then the must be someway to harness them. It's not really FFX but we could build it into the FFX editor. So if you compare an FFVTTR hero file and a FF hero file hexadecimally the must be a difference between the way the power costs are stored. The FFX control center could have this built in so when you customize a hero file you also set the power costs in more detail. And since prestige is calculated on startup there shouldn't be any balancing problems.

And, for our resident Aquaman, the thrown object knockback should be doable surely. What about regging when an object's picked up then applying knockback when the same object enters foes proximity. To bad there isn't a detect collision event sink.

Manfred

Another cool one would be "connected"

I guess it would be like a summon, but a hero could call forth police patrolmen to arrive and help with a fight, and a villain could call more henchmen.

I haven't played too in depth lately, so these might already be in-game options.

yell0w_lantern

I'm going to request this one again:
Limited Shape Change
Basically, a version of shape shifter that either requires expenditure of a hero point or has a side-effect like Zap Energy and the other ones from the Boost attributes. I would finally have a satisfactory Hourman!
Alternatively, if the option of a side-effect were just available for regular shape shifter that would be great too.

Multiple Accidental Change(s)
Regular flavor shape shifter allows you to have up to 8 forms. It would be great if Accidental Change could have a different form linked to different conditions so that you turn into form 'X' when enraged but turn into form 'Y' when irradiated. Multiple shapes set to one state would give a percentage of changing into each form under a certain condition so that enraged might cause form 'X' 50% of the time and form 'Y' 50% of the time.

Epimethee

Great suggestions everyone.

Quote from: Lunarman on July 11, 2007, 11:55:50 PM
If the energy costs are still there in the engine then the must be someway to harness them. It's not really FFX but we could build it into the FFX editor. So if you compare an FFVTTR hero file and a FF hero file hexadecimally the must be a difference between the way the power costs are stored. The FFX control center could have this built in so when you customize a hero file you also set the power costs in more detail.
The way I understand it, the power level format didn't change; IG simply removed the interface allowing us to enter the FF1 values. Thus, this part shouldn't be overly preblematic. However, setting this in FFX basically means creating a full-fledged hero editor. While this has always been the long-term plan, at this point it's nothing more than a faraway wish. We'll have to be able to release a new Control Centre with existing functionalites first, and this is very far from done! Beside, there is a lot of new code still needed before being able to edit hero files using Python.

[/i]
QuoteAnd, for our resident Aquaman, the thrown object knockback should be doable surely. What about regging when an object's picked up then applying knockback when the same object enters foes proximity. To bad there isn't a detect collision event sink.
Nice idea on the proximity. There are also a couple of MLOG event modules which should be useful (damage and activation); hopefully the overhead and latency won't be too much.

Lunarman

Sry for the necropost, but this should be a perm thread :)

Anyway: Would it be possible to make a state swap for tripping up. You know how the ice patch power makes people trip up, would it be possible to make a state swap that always causes the foe to trip up when it hits them. I know you could do it with knockback but then it's all relative to weight, as it very low knockback might trip up a thug but won't do anything to a gangster, I rather like the way that all characters fall over on an ice patch.

This would be useful for bolas or nets and suchlike. (or the paralysis causing darts fired by Blackout ;) )

BentonGrey

I think Vertigo sort of already does this, Lunarman.  It makes your enemies fall down and sometimes stumble in random directions.

Epimethee

This is no necropost LM; the thread shall live as long as people have ideas. :)

As for the trip up power, if Vertigo doesn't fit because you only want a one-shot attack, maybe you could try throw or pull using a low value source power such as Weaken to reduce the intensity?

BentonGrey

BloodRed

What about a cross between assimilator and body armor? With the armor value depending on the material type.

My first post at FR, and I'm glad to use it to bump this. Infact, joined just so I can.

Epimethee

I'll let Stumpy tackle the interesting Assimilator/Body Armor idea, but welcome aboard! :)

stumpy

Greetings BloodRed.  :cool:

Do you mean that the protective rating of the body armor would go up or down depending on the wearer's material type? Like a flesh character who got BODY ARMOR (10) would start with ten points of protection and a metal character might have twenty?

Or do you mean the character could pick an object and assimilate its properties into body armor that would have a rating based on the material chosen?

Or the character could have body armor whose nominal value changes as he walks around, every so often the game picks a random nearby object and uses it's material as the base.

The first two ideas, I would be tempted not to do, just because of costing issues. I wouldn't want a stone character getting better protection than a rubber one without paying more for it. For the second variation, my guess is the the character would just figure out which of the available materials gave the best protection and always choose that. Although maybe it could wear off after it was chosen and how long it lasted would be in opposite proportion to how "good" the source material was...

I would think the third idea works, play-wise. The only thing is, the change would seem almost random to the player. And, if that were the case, a body armor scheme with a random protection rating (changes every ten seconds or so) would probably be just as good, though I am not sure what sort of character concept would make use of that...

BloodRed

The second is what I had in mind. The way I was thiking, it wouldn't have multiple grades, and would maybe build up points to a certain max. Also, and this I just came to me, maybe instead of the armor blocking the damage unless it's greater then the armor, the damage is taken out of the armor, and any left over damage hurts the character. For example, if someone with 10 armor points gets hit with an attack that does 15 damage, then they lose the armor and take 5 points of damage.

Maybe only one material type at a time, and can only be used if the character doesnt have any armor yet. Low values ,and the fact that the character would have to turn their back on the enemy to get more armor, might help nerf the attribute some.

yell0w_lantern

Okay, I finally found this thread again! Now that FFX 3.3 is underway, I thought it would be a good time too reiterate a few requests:

1) Accidental Change with multiple forms each related to a different state. Now that I think about it, a percent chance of changing into one of several forms with the same trigger would be cool too.

2) Limited shapeshifter requiring a hero point or maybe a token system of some kind (charges? cans of spinach?)

3) Dependant - a character you have to protect from harm/KO (Jimmy Olsen, Aunt May, Scrappy Doo, etc.) that has a percent chance of showing up during a mission (like nemesis)

4) More slots for Summoner and private Army

5) Grades of Vulnerability - grade 2 has 2 vulnerabilities, grade 3 has 3 vulnerabilities, etc.

Epimethee

I like these, YL. :) Some of them have been on my to-do list for a few years... so hopefully someone else will tackle them faster than your truly. :P

But of course, keeping this list alive helps a lot. 4 and 5 should be quite easy to do.

Epimethee

Cross-posting Benton Grey's http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=46662.msg652010#msg652010

QuoteThis may not be the right spot for this, but I have a suggestion for a new FFX attribute.  What about a "King" or "Controller" attribute, one which would give you a custom command that would allow you to take charge of the ambient characters in a level.  For example, you are playing a certain sea king on a level populated with fish and other aquatic beings set up as police, let's say.  He uses his custom command, and the various sealife comes running to him, and respond to basic commands like private army.  Would this be possible or viable?

TaskMasterX

Yeah, I agree with EP, these are some great ideas, guys. YL, I included the update you did to Private Army to have six slots in FFX 3.3. But, pre-release testing has basically finished on FFX 3.3 and the manual is now being worked on, so theses great ideas will have to be in a post-FFX 3.3 release.

BentonGrey

Whoops, I suppose the cleverly disguised title threw me off. :P

Cyber Burn

I request a "Ninja" attribute. One that combines jumper, nimble, crackshot, and disciplined.

Epimethee

You ca do combination attributes yourself, Cyber Burn (cf. the FFX manual). However, only FFX attributes and the few default ones which can be simulated in FFX can be combined. Nimble and Disciplined can be simulated OK; Jumper can only be very poorly approximated by Clumsy Jumper; Crackshot cannot at all.

Indigo

I just want some new game modes for FFX...

The on-patrol game mode was good but when you finish all your chosen enemies, the game still continues with thugs instead...perhaps this can be fixed to make the game end when you defeat them all.

The custom skirmish game mode spawns 4 different enemies at random to attack you, but I always get attacked by the strongest one over and over again.  Can it be fixed so that you will be attacked with all the enemies you've actually chosen and not just repeat with the same strong enemy?

Can there be a new game mode that you get to fight one character at a time, then the next one comes along as soon as you beat him/her?

An Evil Plasma Sculptor attribute for Sinestro (because I can't seem to make the yellow color swap to work)

Valendar's weapons pack for the Plasma Sculptor 'Give Weapon' so we can have an axe or a spear instead of light posts. ^_^

Lastly, I wish GogglesPizanno's FFX Plugin Pack #1 and Ren's MapPack01 are officially included for FFX. :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Your third request can very easily be done in about two seconds with EZScript.  Just open up one of the samples and create your own Hunt encounters.  You can do pretty much anything you want! ^_^

You can do the evil plasma sculptor thing yourself, as well, since it's a matter of art assets, and not FFX.  Request the yellow objects and skins from your fellow FRers, and then just add them into FFEdit.

BentonGrey

Hey IPS, you're talking about one of my two biggest pet peeves with FF2, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in!  I believe in the last discussion we had about this, it was determined that a scripting work around was indeed possible, and an idea was actually put forward.  I definitely think this should be the priority for the next version of FFX (whenever it may appear).

Xenolith

There was a fellow whom made some pretty clever mods a few months (years?) ago.  I'm not sure where he went, and I forget what his name was.  Anyway, his rumble room mod had some pretty neat features.  What especially interested me was that it had a feature which would print out characters who had entered the map, and ones that had been defeated.  That was kind of fun.  It would be even better if it said, Hulk defeats Wolverine, for example.  Also, would it be possible to have a list of who defeated who? 

Also, I tend to watch the battles and not play them, so it would be very nice if there was a way to zoom to rumble room contenstants instead of searching all over the map for 10 minutes trying to find them.  Of course I'm thinking of Tommyboy's new maps.  I'll be looking forever.

There was also a eye-level camera mod...is that still available and compatible?  I think it was by the first guy I mentioned.

Thanks.

Edited to fix double "also" in text.

Previsionary

Quote from: Xenolith on July 25, 2008, 11:06:53 AM
There was a fellow whom made some pretty clever mods a few months (years?) ago.  I'm not sure where he went, and I forget what his name was.  Anyway, his rumble room mod had some pretty neat features.  What especially interested me was that it had a feature which would print out characters who had entered the map, and ones that had been defeated.  That was kind of fun.  It would be even better if it said, Hulk defeats Wolverine, for example.  Also, would it be possible to have a list of who defeated who? 

Also, I tend to watch the battles and not play them, so it would be very nice if there was a way to zoom to rumble room contenstants instead of searching all over the map for 10 minutes trying to find them.  Of course I'm thinking of Tommyboy's new maps.  I'll be looking forever.

Also, there was also a eye-level camera mod...is that still available and compatible?  I think it was by the first guy I mentioned.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're describing kuertee's stuff (seems everyone forgot who he was even though he brought some good stuff to the table). All his stuff is still available and Im sure his thread is still around here somewhere. He also has a googlepage which you can access. Just be glad FRP is back or all that stuff would be lost forever!!!!

Xenolith

That's him!  Yeah, some of that stuff was just plain great.

|