• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Containment Crew - All Controller SG on Virtue

Started by Tortuga, April 25, 2007, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tortuga

Hey all,

About a year and a half or so ago, I had an idea for an all controller SG called Containment Crew.  I think it still exists on Virtue.  FI and I were the only members, because he was the one willing to help me discover that one controller's immobs/holds gives other teammate controllers the Containment bonus.

Until this afternoon, I more or less forgot about it.

I know there are other all-controller SGs out there (kinda like Buffer Overrun, etc.).  But the idea behind Containment Crew is to classify members into tactical functions.  Like the following:

Group 1) Containers -- characters whose role it is to get Containment bonuses going.  Some controller sets are better at this than others. -- Grav, Earth, Ice, etc.

Group 2) Debuffers/Buffers -- characters whose role it is to boost his/her teammates and debuff the enemies -- Rad, Kinetics, Sonic, FF, etc.  These characters would take Leadership power pool.

Group 3) Damage dealers -- The two sets that come to mind the most are Fire and Illusion.

So first of all, is there any interest in something like this?  Many people stay away from controllers, b/c they hear they're tough.  I think this idea allows people to try out a controller and realize how awesome they are.  Also, anyone have power set ideas for any of these three groups?

Thanks,
Tort

CONTAINMENT CREW ROSTER:
Updated: 04/30/2007
Atomic Pyre - Fire/Rad - B A D
Psykotronic - Illusion/Sonic - El Condor
Baseline - Earth /Rad - Tortuga
Faeryn - Fire/Storm - Spud
Facula - Fire/Storm - Ephy
UR-532 - Earth/Rad - Middy
Ngalyod - Earth/Storm - Gday
Mr Newton - Grav/Kin - Adamence
Geospiker - Earth/Rad - MikeB7
Radar- - Grav/Sonic - MJB
Cold Beer Fusion - Ice/Rad - Viking
Mind Your Mother - Mind/Sonic - Stoppy
Maxwell Miracle - Illusion/? - Bluebard
Foxy Nefretiti - Ill/Sonic - Train Wreck
Psilynx - Mind/FF - Verfall
Shacklebolt - grav/kin - Texas Jack
Time Titan - Grav/Kin - Time Titan
Cajun Cookin - Fire/Empathy - Camma
Cool Arrow - Ice/Arrow - FP
Lunar Girl - Grav/Rad - Alaric7
Oklo - Earth/Rad - Ephy
Moon-Blossom - Fire/TA - Train Wreck
Snowbore - Ice/FF - MikeB7
Entropy Incarnate - ?/? - Mondy
Mister Mysterious - ?/? - Direwolf

Camma

Sounds interesting, and i have never gotten into controllers both cuz of the slower start and they are defenders' older bullying cousin who takes our stuff :lol:

But i do have an Illusion troller on freedom who doesnt have a home.  Now you mentioned virtue, would this stay there or are you coming to freedom with this?

gdaybloke

I'm game, if only cos you know how I don't have enough toons already needing attention ;)

BlueBard

Maxwell Miracle is a 17th level Illusion/Empathy Controller who is currently homeless on Virtue.  I'd be interested in putting him in there.  He's not much of a damage dealer... but Phantom Army is right around the corner.

If on Freedom, Astragirl is currently without an SG -- she's a level 20 Gravity/Kinetic Controller.

Judging from the number of Controllers in the pick-up teams I've been getting, I'd say there's enough controllers out there to give it a try.

El Condor

I'm psyched about this idea because it would just be another twist on playing the game - another facet of the prism to look through, as it were.  Plus, my guess is that a good combination of controller types could make a team downright bad (to put it in Cali & Soulshriek terms)!

My only 'troller is on Freedom and newly hatched, so I'd be the more famiilar kind of bad. :P  But I'd be happy to join up.  I'd be willing to roll a new controller on Virtue if need be.

EC

Funeral-Pyre

I have Photon-Storm on Freedom who is illusion/storm and is currently at lvl 19.  If you do this on Freedom, I would be glad to include him.

captainspud

I can't do it on Freedom, no slots left.

On Virtue I have three trollers-- Fire/Kin at 12, Grav/Storm at 15, and Ill/Sonic at 25. I'm also happy to roll another one if we're starting lowbies.

As for build advice...

-We really only need one Kin. The set is godlike for Trollers, but it stacks very poorly with itself.
-Rad has the best self-stacking of all the sets.
-For damage dealing, we'd need a few Fire trollers. It has the earliest, and most consistent damage of all the sets. That said, it's a massive endurance pig. Tech origin is basically mandatory so you can slot Faultline EndRedux SOs at level 10.
-One Illusion person would be helpful to let us tank AVs. Plus they do damage past 32.
-I'd recommend one Force Field person for the status protection (sonic would work too, but I *believe* you wait longer for the bubble). Troller toggles tend to have longish recharge, it's very annoying to have them mezzed off. It also just slows down the wrecking ball.
-Empaths will be fairly worthless. Almost everybody will have mitigation or healing of some sort, so we don't need dedicated healers. The buffs arrive way too late to be useful to us.
-Containment people can be Ice, Earth, Grav, or Fire. Of them, Grav has the lowest AoE immob endurance cost (and so can spam it more easily), and Fire has the best radius.

For the defender sets, the general guideline is to look for AoE powers. Troller teams specialize in demolishing groups, so sets with AoE debuffs (Rad, Storm, uh... others...) are better than ones that do mostly single-target (Kin). Sets that don't touch opponents (Emp, Force Field) should be included in very limited numbers. The idea is to get powers that are Force Multipliers-- +DMG and +ACC to the whole team, or -RES and -DEF to enemy clusters. Once this team gets going, single-target powers simply won't be of much use.

(I'm assuming this alt project will fizzle after 20 levels or so, so I'm looking at powers and builds that are available by then)

Midnight

Quote from: captainspud on April 26, 2007, 10:01:44 AM-I'd recommend one Force Field person for the status protection (sonic would work too, but I *believe* you wait longer for the bubble).

Nope. :) Sonic Dispersion and Dispersion Bubble both come at 20.

captainspud

Mmkay. In that case, I'd recommend a Sonic over a Force Field, because they have the resistance debuffs.

That said-- I've been playing a Sonic, and it's kinda boring. :/

B A D

I could Do a  Grav/Rad  - Atomic Gravity has a nice Ring to it.

gdaybloke

I've done very little with Controllers to date; Gdaysheila was originally Illus/Kin before she got wiped, Icepack's Ice/Emp. That's about it.

I wouldn't mind dabbling with an Earth controller of some sort.

Tortuga

Here are the controller sets:

Primary:
Earth Control - good containment
Fire Control - great dmg, containment
Gravity Control - good containment
Ice Control  - good containment, slows
Illusion Control  - great dmg, aggro
Mind Control - not sure where it fits

Secondary:
Empathy - heals, buffs
Force Field - buff-mania
Kinetics - buff-fest
Radiation Emission - debuff king
Sonic Resonance - buff-o-rama
Storm Summoning - some dmg, debuffs
Trick Arrow - debuffs

After looking at the power sets, it may not be so easy to 'categorize' the roles of the team.  I guess you could think of it as 2 groups: dmg/debuffers and containment/buffers. :unsure:

As for which server, I dunno.  I just made Doc Tectonic (Earth/Rad) on Freedom.  He's currently in WBP and I wouldn't mind keeping him there.  Virtue would work -- it's a fun server and I already have the SG made there.  With global channels it's doable to step away from Freedom. :)

captainspud

Enant's fantastic troller guide:

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=5642571

Personally, I'd prefer to do a Fire/something if we're doing new rolls. I've already done a Fire/Rad, but it was so much fun I wouldn't mind doing it again. Fire/Storm might be kinda cool... my Fire/Kin is kinda boring, but that's "so far". It'll change later. Plus it'll be better on a big team.

Ephemeris

I have an unaffiliated level 1 fire/storm troller on virtue.  I haven't really decided if it will remain fire/storm or change to fire/rad.  I've never played fire control and have only dabbled in radiation emission and trick arrow.  I'd prefer to stay away from the FotM, and trick arrow (bleh) conceptually makes no sense for this character.

Midnight

Earth/Rad looks interesting. My Earth/Emp on Liberty was a blast with the old pentad.

captainspud

I've never had more fun with a toon than I have with a Fire/Rad. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Fun, powerful, and not a FotM since the "real" FotM people all play Kin. And both sets stack exceptionally well, so even if multiple people roll the same toon, we'll reap full benefits, instead of capping out as you would with Emp or Kin.

BlueBard

Quote from: captainspud on April 26, 2007, 10:01:44 AM
For the defender sets, the general guideline is to look for AoE powers. Troller teams specialize in demolishing groups, so sets with AoE debuffs (Rad, Storm, uh... others...) are better than ones that do mostly single-target (Kin). Sets that don't touch opponents (Emp, Force Field) should be included in very limited numbers. The idea is to get powers that are Force Multipliers-- +DMG and +ACC to the whole team, or -RES and -DEF to enemy clusters. Once this team gets going, single-target powers simply won't be of much use.

Ah!  Except for the holy grail of Fulcrum Shift... if you can get a Kin up that high, you're gold.

(I'm assuming this alt project will fizzle after 20 levels or so, so I'm looking at powers and builds that are available by then)

You're always so optimistic...

Tortuga

If it's on another server other than Freedom I expect it to fizzle even sooner  :P  That's just the way it goes.  No harm done.

I realized my troller on Virtue is Ice/Trick Arrow heh.  I think I'll reroll Aunty Gravity if the name is available.  She's Grav/something.

Anyway, invitations on Virtue have started to happen.  Join when you wish!

[edit]Right now I've got Tyalopi (Ice/TA), Aunty Gravity (Grav/FF) and Red Aunt (Fire/Rad) in the group.  Not that I plan to play them all...I might just bring Doc Tectonic over.  :wacko: [/edit]

B A D

captainspud

QuoteAh!  Except for the holy grail of Fulcrum Shift... if you can get a Kin up that high, you're gold.

Sure, but you don't get that until 2/3 of the way through your hero career. Kin is really slow and underwhelming for the first 37 levels... and even then, you need Fireball at 41 to really DO anything with all the extra damage. And then you need to slot it, etc etc.

Fire/Kins make great level 50s, but they're pretty awful to get there.

Verfall

I've got a mind/FF troller at 7 on Virtue I can toss into this mix.

MJB

Here is my guy(Radar-). He's a Grav/Sonic Controller.

I'll be on the lookout for you guys...

-MJB

El Condor

Quote from: MJB on April 27, 2007, 12:47:32 AM
Here is my guy(Radar-). He's a Grav/Sonic Controller.

I'll be on the lookout for you guys...

-MJB

He so sexy!  ;)

EC

gdaybloke

I made a Controller last night

In Australian Aboriginal legend, much of Australia's landscape was formed by the movement of the Rainbow Serpent, Ngalyod. As it moved across the otherwise flat landscape, its body carved valleys and shoved up mountains and the like. Ngalyod's also associated with rain and storms, so the earth/storm combo of powersets fit the theme.

While Ngalyod is (in my experience, at least) usually referred to as "it", there's a rock formation called the Devil's Marbles in the Northern Territory. According to legend, they're the eggs of the Rainbow Serpent - that'd make the giant snake a female.

Thus, I made Ngalyod - a very tall (the serpent was enormous) female earth/storm controller. She's Australian Aboriginal, so dark skinned, but i tried to bring the Rainbow aspect by having colours starting from red hair, and working down to violet boots. I'd post a screeny, but... I didn't take one. Heh.

Dunno if I'll stick with this concept, but it's something to work with for now at least.

MikeB7

I've got a lvl 7 Earth/Rad controller (Geospiker) I made in like the first six months of owning the game, lol.  He's a troll that was abandoned as a child in a radioactive area of the Hollows, rescued and raised by an ex-Crey scientist couple on the run.  So he's got the mad-on for both Trolls and Crey.

El Condor

Based upon what I've seen so far, I think I'll go Illusion/Sonic.

EC

Midnight

Made an Earth/Rad on virtue last night, UR-503 or somesuch. I'll drag him out of outbreak when I've got time.

Alaric

I now have a 1st level Grav/Rad controller on Virtue- not sure that I'm really into the whole "one AT sg" thing, but I'm willing to give it a try.

gdaybloke

So much for Earth being one of the least common primaries (*chuckles*)
Looks like Ice and Mind are going to be the least represented... I'd make a mind one, but I already have a Mind/ForceField on Freedom...

Midnight