• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The Thrilling Exploits of... (Game has started- see other thread!)

Started by Alaric, April 30, 2007, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Alaric

Okay, okay... I said I'd consider running a RPG here... I also said what I was thinking of was super hero-ish. Well, I've kind of changed my mind about the last part. Over the past week or so, a different idea has been slowly forming in the dark corners of my mind. An idea I had to call...

The Thrilling Exploits of...

(mostly because I couldn't think of a better name...)

Here's how it works:

1: Theme

This game combines science fiction, fantasy, horror, humor, adventure, and many other kinds of escapist fiction. Virtually anything can happen- within the rules of these forums, of course.

2: World

The world in this game is a fictional version of Earth, in an indeterminate time period that combines aspects of every time from about 1760 to about 1960, with some aspects earlier or later. The people who populate this world are completely unaware of the various anachronistic and contradictory aspects of their existence- they just accept the world as it is, in that regard. That does not mean that they feel the same way about the various science fiction and fantasy elements of their world, however- although some may in fact. Basically, this is a world that exists to be a setting for adventures.

3: Character Creation

Anyone who wants to play should PM me with their character ideas (do not post these character ideas here). These posts should include the following information about the characters;

1: Character name

2: Character description (appearance and personality)

3: Character background- It's okay to give your character an interesting background, but try not to make him or her too historically important at the begining of the game. Note that, if I aprove your character's background, it will affect the in-game world, and the game, in various ways.

4: An occupation- This should be a single occupation (even if the character also does something else on the side). It should include a general occupational category (scientist, law-enforcement, athletics, etc.) and a specific sub-category (biology, undercover cop, baseball player, etc.).

5: A hobby- This can be anything your character is skilled at, naturally talented at, or otherwise has going for him or her. It may or may not be related to his or her occupation. Again, as with occupation, htere should be a general category and a sub-category. Remember, to begin with, you only have one hobby.

6: A Gift (capital "G")- This is somespecial gift the character has, above and beyond what most people a capable of. Being Gifted in something is different from simply having something as an occupation or hoddy- being Gifted in science, being a scientist, and having science as a hoby are all different (and, yes, you can have all three on one character if you want). Possible Gifts include, but are not limited to: Science, Athletics, Mad Science (mad scientists are skilled at using scientific techniques to do things normally considered scientifically impossible, but aren't always so good at conventional science), Magic, Psychic Powers, Half-Alien, Luck, Heroism, Villainy, Goodness, Evil, Courage, Beauty, etc, etc. As with occupations and hobbies, the character should have one general category of Gift (such as the ones listed), and one sub-category, such as Physics, Strength, Reanimation, Necromancy, Precognition, etcf, etc.

7: Optional- Disadvantage(s)- If you want, you can give your character one of more disadvantages (subject to my approval). Disadvantages will speed up your character improvement a little- and, no, I won't explain about that.

Finally, you should list the character's equipment. Equipment can include any normal items you would assume most people could have, as well as items related to your character's occupation, hobby, Gift, and background. The altter CAN include special, unusual, or even unique items, so long as I approve them- nothing that would drastically overpower the game, of course. For especially powerful, unusual, or mysterious items, it might be best to list the item without explaining what it does, and leave the latter to me...

Note: While you should include items you have with you, as well as items you keep at your residence, you don't have to list everything- I'll assume most people own plates, for example, and any sort of item that your character probably should have given their occupation, etc., likely doesn't absolutely have to be listed. If you don't list it, though, it will be up to me whther you have it or not.

Note 2: It is possible, in the course of the game, to improve your character. I'll let you know when you have the opportunity to do that.

After you've sent me your character, I'll read it over and respond by PM. I may simply approve the character, I may make some minor changes and send the character back with approval, I may send back some suggestions, clarifications, and/or questions, indicating that you need to make some changes for approval, or, in very rare cases where the entire concept is, in my opinion, unworkable for this game, I may reject the character.

If there are, in my judgement, sufficient approved characters in one week, I'll begin the game.

Onward- to adventure!

(Oh, and if anyone has a better name for this game, please let me know...)

Uncle Yuan

Hm . . . interesting.  I'm very interested in getting in on this, but I find the setting description a little vague.  Can you give any concrete examples about what does and does not exist?  Or is the entire point to let the players define the setting through their character design?  (For example, if my character is an engineer that designs and builds derrigible luxury liners then derrigibles will be an important part of the world.)

Alaric

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 01, 2007, 02:33:29 AM
Hm . . . interesting.  I'm very interested in getting in on this, but I find the setting description a little vague.  Can you give any concrete examples about what does and does not exist?  Or is the entire point to let the players define the setting through their character design?  (For example, if my character is an engineer that designs and builds derrigible luxury liners then derrigibles will be an important part of the world.)

That's part of the point- admitadly, I don't think I was very clear about that. Things you include in your background, subject to my approval, can help shape the world.

On another note, one person so far has submitted two possible characters, and asked me to choose between them. That's actually not a bad idea. I'm not going to require it, but if people do submit two possible ideas (preferably in one post), it will help me balance the group a little (for example, if character A is interesting, but a little two close to another character someone's already submitted, I might go with character B).

BlueBard

Heh.  I see you decided against keeping things simple...  :lol:

I am interested, but I'd like to know what kinds of adventures are common in this world of yours.  What are the biggest/most common threats?  What's big news in the newspapers of this world?  Doesn't have to directly relate to the adventure you have in mind, just needs to spark an idea.

I take it that there are no super-heroes, per se, so I'm trying to figure out what sort of concept is relevant enough to play and interesting enough to keep my interest high.

Alaric

Quote from: BlueBard on May 01, 2007, 07:40:49 AM
Heh.  I see you decided against keeping things simple...  :lol:

I am interested, but I'd like to know what kinds of adventures are common in this world of yours.  What are the biggest/most common threats?  What's big news in the newspapers of this world?  Doesn't have to directly relate to the adventure you have in mind, just needs to spark an idea.

I take it that there are no super-heroes, per se, so I'm trying to figure out what sort of concept is relevant enough to play and interesting enough to keep my interest high.

Heh... Seemed simple, until I started writing it down...

I'd rather keep the exact nature of the world a little vague for now, in part because I'm trying to encourage a certain amount of imagination, and perhaps originality, in the characters' designs. Also, as mentioned in my previous post, the characters' backgrounds may have some impact on the world they live in. Pretty much any adventure, escapist, or fantastic fiction of any sort (short stories, novels, movies, comic strips...) from the 200-year-or-so range I mentioned above should give you some idea of the possibilities, though. So far, those people have have sent me cahracters have gotten the spirit of this perfectly. If you're unsure, you could PM me with some possible thoughts, and I'll let you know if they're workable.

Most superheroes probably wouldn't fit, you're right. Pulp heroes are another matter, though. Also, Golden Age heroes, at least the less powerful ones, might possibly work. Not looking for a team of costumed heroes, though.

UnkoMan

I'd like to express interest in this. It looks like it could end up very entertaining.

Now, I've never RP'd before, and I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to, but I will definately be watching this thread with gusto.

Alaric

I'm just sending out my first batch of approved characters, and I thought I should explain a few things;

1: You'll notice that your approved character info is in the form of a "character sheet". After the game beings, I may from time to time send you an updated sheet for your character. Don't worry too much about what the numbers (not that there are many) mean.

2: You also may notice some minor changes I made- although, so far, none of the characters submitted to me have required more than very minor chnges, usually to fit them to the format a little better, or to clarify something.

3: For those of you who submitted multiple characters, just because I chose one doesn't mean I didn't like another. I'm trying to put together a varied group, which has a lot to do with the choices I made.

4: I've been very impressed with all the submissions I've recieved so far. Great work!

Note: If you've sent me a submission, and haven't recieved an approved character back, please let me know.

Spam

I'm terribly interested. I'll be PMing you shortly with two character ideas.

This will be very interesting. :)

FORIAMSPAM!

Alaric

Okay, so far, six people have submitted character concepts. Considering that this is my first attept at running a forum-based RPG (and it's been a while since I last ran any kind of RPG), I don't want to have too large a group, but I will accept one or two more submissions. The game will start on Monday.

I want to thank people for submitted multiple characters- it's made it a lot easier to end up with a varied, interesting group (no offense meant to the one person who didn't- that the first submission, and was before I made that request, anyway, and its a great character concept). The only problem is, I really like all of the concepts I didn't end up choosing, as well. It's also been interesting to see the different formats people chose for their submissions.

Looks like this could be... interesting.

(Anyway, I have to say all the nice stuff now, before I put on my evil GM hat :twisted: )

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 02, 2007, 05:20:01 AM
The only problem is, I really like all of the concepts I didn't end up choosing, as well.

Heck, that's no problem at all.

Kill off the first batch of characters halfway through and then let the players run the alternates.  Best of both worlds.

What?  You said you were gonna put on your evil GM hat.

Alaric

Quote from: BlueBard on May 02, 2007, 06:43:20 AM
Quote from: Alaric on May 02, 2007, 05:20:01 AM
The only problem is, I really like all of the concepts I didn't end up choosing, as well.

Heck, that's no problem at all.

Kill off the first batch of characters halfway through and then let the players run the alternates.  Best of both worlds.

What?  You said you were gonna put on your evil GM hat.

I said the hat was evil, not me.

Spam

Alaric

For the moment, until further notice, I'm not accepting any new character submissions. If you've already sent me something, and I haven't approved it yet, you're still welcome to submit additional ideas or redone versions of already submitted ideas; I will not at this time be accepting sumissions from new people.

So far, we have six approved characters, one "in negotiation", and one person I haven't gotten back to yet, but will soon.

Alaric

Okay, all the current players have been sent their approved character sheets. The game will officially begin on Monday. However, I will be PMing each of the players sometime over the weekend with some additional information about their characters, things they know, current situations, etc. I'll start a new thread on Monday for the actual game; I've decided to keep this thread open, for "out of game" discussion of the game, for example, if people who aren't playing want to comment on the game- also, so if I decide to allow more players later, or have to replace some of the current palyers, I'll have a place to announce that.

If anyone sent me one or more character submisisons and never got an approved character sheet back from me, please let me know.

Just one more question for my players- should I change the name of the game from "The Thrilling Exploits of..." to simply "Thrilling Adventures"? I think the latter has a better ring to it, but also seems a little more generic...

kkhohoho

Quote from: Alaric on May 03, 2007, 09:18:10 PM
Okay, all the current players have been sent their approved character sheets. The game will officially begin on Monday. However, I will be PMing each of the players sometime over the weekend with some additional information about their characters, things they know, current situations, etc. I'll start a new thread on Monday for the actual game; I've decided to keep this thread open, for "out of game" discussion of the game, for example, if people who aren't playing want to comment on the game- also, so if I decide to allow more players later, or have to replace some of the current palyers, I'll have a place to announce that.

If anyone sent me one or more character submisisons and never got an approved character sheet back from me, please let me know.

Just one more question for my players- should I change the name of the game from "The Thrilling Exploits of..." to simply "Thrilling Adventures"? I think the latter has a better ring to it, but also seems a little more generic...

You did say that the RPG's world was a setup for adventures. ;)  I say "Thrilling Adventures".

Glitch Girl

How about "Tales of Thrilling Adventure"?  Seems to fit the genre a bit more.

BTW: can I ask who the players are or is that going to be a reveal once the game begins?

Alaric

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 04, 2007, 06:19:34 AM
How about "Tales of Thrilling Adventure"?  Seems to fit the genre a bit more.

Y'know, I had been thinking of a title starting with "Tales of..."...

BTW: can I ask who the players are or is that going to be a reveal once the game begins?

Heh... I haven't decided yet... I may post the "cast" here later today, or I may wait for Monday, when I'm definitely including "cast credits" in the game opening...

BlueBard

How about "Tales of Thrilling Adventure"?

I like it.  It has a ring to it.

Well, not -that- Ring.  Different adventure.  I mean the audible kind.  Not like the telephone kind of ring.  A kind of pleasing to the ear ring.  No, no, no... not earring... a ringing in the ears.  No, that's not right either. {sigh}

I like the sound of it, okay?

Uncle Yuan

Yes, sounds very pulp-fictioney.  But more like Bruce Willis, not Micheal Clarke Duncan.  Because I wouldn't like to play that game at all.

Alaric

Note: The game will be starting today, probably this afternoon.

BlueBard

When? When? When? When? When? When? When? When? When? When? When? When?

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

(I find that my capacity for patience shrinks as I get older...  It has currently regressed
to somewhere at or near adolescent level, I believe.)

Glitch Girl

And thus, before the game even begins, BlueBard's charcter falls into the grinder of the Happy Pet Cat Food company and is later devoured by a rampaging herd of rabid weasels.
;)

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 07, 2007, 11:05:09 AM
And thus, before the game even begins, BlueBard's charcter falls into the grinder of the Happy Pet Cat Food company and is later devoured by a rampaging herd of rabid weasels.
;)

The weasels die of indigestion.

Next character!

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: BlueBard on May 07, 2007, 10:56:11 AM

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

(I find that my capacity for patience shrinks as I get older...  It has currently regressed
to somewhere at or near adolescent level, I believe.)

It's all the hanging out with children - you are simply lacking in postive role models.

BlueBard

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 07, 2007, 12:17:52 PM
It's all the hanging out with children - you are simply lacking in postive role models.

So... I can blame it on fatherhood?  Hm.  Interesting role-reversal.

Viking

Quote from: BlueBard on May 07, 2007, 12:03:21 PM
Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 07, 2007, 11:05:09 AM
;)

The weasels die of indigestion.

Next character!

BlueBard creates a Mad Scientist, who is in the process of researching how a herd of rabid weasels can be attracted by the presence of cat food.  He plans to discover how to prevent the weasels of dying from indigestion, so that they may be further trained to work in conjunction with cats as an elite animal crime-fighting force.  Brilliant!  Brilliant, I tell you!

Glitch Girl

Viking

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 07, 2007, 01:01:29 PM
Oh, this is going to be a fun game.  :D

You mean we haven't started already?  I mean, heck!  We could probably make a parallel posting game just out of the seed that you planted, GG...

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Viking on May 07, 2007, 01:05:22 PM
Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 07, 2007, 01:01:29 PM
Oh, this is going to be a fun game.  :D

You mean we haven't started already?  I mean, heck!  We could probably make a parallel posting game just out of the seed that you planted, GG...

Would that be titled "The Bizarro Exploits of...."?  And if there's gonna be any killing done by small, furry critters around here, I think it should be hamsters.  I'm just sayin.

*psssst*  I got the plug in, boss.  Can I have the bonus now?

BlueBard

My new character creates a rock band called "The Raging Weasels".  It becomes a huge hit in England, thus overshadowing the budding careers of four musicians in Liverpool and changing history forever....

|