• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 24, 2007, 08:27:30 PM

I'm going to wait a bit to make sure the guy is gone.  Then I'm going to take off my trenchcoat, wrap that canister up in it, and walk away in the opposite direction holding it cradled in one arm.  Then I'm going to find someplace safe to hole up.

I momentarily consider turning the thing over to the police and reporting what I saw and heard, but I have no desire to become prime suspect number one if there's a murder involved.  I need to look that canister over and figure out how it ties in to this, if I can.  If I can't, I'll have to find someone else who can... someone I can trust... but who?

You retrieve the canister and walk on. You find yourself on the street where the diner you left is located.

Alaric

Hertzy, Ray, Lizzie, Ashi:

You hear a knock on the door, and hear Patch's voice saying "Doc?  Seems like you've got a visitor.  Do you want to get it, or have one of us let him in?"

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Alaric on May 25, 2007, 06:27:51 PM
Steve:

When you say you leave the office, do you mean you go out the front door, or something else?

OOC: Front door, of course.  Someone has to move this plot forward! :D

catwhowalksbyhimself

"I'll be right there," he replies.

Turning back to the other three, he says, "I think we can at least agree that there is more to this world than most people care to admit.  You haven't convinced me yet, Ashi, but we'll wait and see.  In the meantime, you'll still need the help of adults.  I mean those were look like adults, if you tell the truth.  No one's going to take you seriously looking like that, nor will you be allowed to get into placed by yourself that you might need to go.

"Anyway, come back here toward the evening and you can stay at my place.  Call me a family friend your staying with while you're in America.  And if you have to go anywhere dangerous--er--maybe Ray could go."

Not waiting for the response, Hertzy steps outside to answer the door.

kkhohoho

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 25, 2007, 09:20:59 PM
"I'll be right there," he replies.

Turning back to the other three, he says, "I think we can at least agree that there is more to this world than most people care to admit.  You haven't convinced me yet, Ashi, but we'll wait and see.  In the meantime, you'll still need the help of adults.  I mean those were look like adults, if you tell the truth.  No one's going to take you seriously looking like that, nor will you be allowed to get into placed by yourself that you might need to go.

"Anyway, come back here toward the evening and you can stay at my place.  Call me a family friend your staying with while you're in America.  And if you have to go anywhere dangerous--er--maybe Ray could go."

Not waiting for the response, Hertzy steps outside to answer the door.

Hm...Well, I suppose a free place is better then paying money at a hotel.  I won't need to stay long.  I can't stay long.  I need to see if there's any demons here for the next day or two, and then I have to search elsewhere.   Perhaps they have demons in Roswell...  I take a look at a nearby reflection.  I also need a new wardrobe...

Glitch Girl

Lizzie

I slip out the door right after Hertzy.

"Well, that seems settled," I remark.  "Guess I should be going too.  I can check in with y'all again later, unless y'all need me for something else."

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 25, 2007, 06:31:00 PM
Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 24, 2007, 08:27:30 PM

I'm going to wait a bit to make sure the guy is gone.  Then I'm going to take off my trenchcoat, wrap that canister up in it, and walk away in the opposite direction holding it cradled in one arm.  Then I'm going to find someplace safe to hole up.

I momentarily consider turning the thing over to the police and reporting what I saw and heard, but I have no desire to become prime suspect number one if there's a murder involved.  I need to look that canister over and figure out how it ties in to this, if I can.  If I can't, I'll have to find someone else who can... someone I can trust... but who?

You retrieve the canister and walk on. You find yourself on the street where the diner you left is located.

I have no idea where to go.  But I need a couple of minutes out of the public eye where I can look at this thing.  I find a convenient alley to duck into, then examine it more closely.  I don't want to take long, just enough time for a quick examination.  Then I'll decide what I'm going to do with it.

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 26, 2007, 01:23:05 PM

I have no idea where to go.  But I need a couple of minutes out of the public eye where I can look at this thing.  I find a convenient alley to duck into, then examine it more closely.  I don't want to take long, just enough time for a quick examination.  Then I'll decide what I'm going to do with it.

You duck into a nearby alley (a different one form the one you were just in, obviously) and look at the canister. It's made of a silvery metal, cylindrical, about 8 inches long and about 2.5" in diameter. There seems to be a rounded lid of sorts, which lifts up but doesn't come off, exposing small holes around the lid. The lid is currently in the "open" position. The canister appears to be hollow, and seems to be empty. The thing seems remarkably clean, considering that it was lying in a dirty alley, although there is one recent-looking smudge of some kind of sauce.

Alaric

Everyone Else:

As Steve opens the door to leave, he finds himself face to face with four men. One man says, "You Dr. Hertziwitz?" "That's not him!" says another. "Hey is Dr. Hertziwitz in there?"

Uncle Yuan

Steve

Rather lost in thought, this is about the last thing I expect.  Without even really glancing up I reply, "Sure, fellas, this is his office.  Waiting room's right through there!"

catwhowalksbyhimself

The Doctor here's the conversation as he emerges from the waiting room.

"I am Dr. Hertziwits, may I help you?"

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 26, 2007, 03:11:12 PM
Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 26, 2007, 01:23:05 PM

You duck into a nearby alley (a different one form the one you were just in, obviously) and look at the canister. It's made of a silvery metal, cylindrical, about 8 inches long and about 2.5" in diameter. There seems to be a rounded lid of sorts, which lifts up but doesn't come off, exposing small holes around the lid. The lid is currently in the "open" position. The canister appears to be hollow, and seems to be empty. The thing seems remarkably clean, considering that it was lying in a dirty alley, although there is one recent-looking smudge of some kind of sauce.

Frank's Story:

Well, I'm at a loss.  At closer inspection, this doesn't look all that interesting after all.  I have no idea what it's for, or what it might have to do with a dead body.  Nor do I have any notion of who I might tell, at least nobody off the top of my head.

But...

The man in the alley is the second man today who seemed to think I might be involved somehow.  And it's not just that I'm a big ugly guy... the first man told me to 'go back to my Master'.  There's only one explanation I can think of that fits that, and it scares the heck out of me.

He couldn't be involved in this... could he?

And that doctor they tried to abduct earlier.  He seems to tie into this somehow, but not willingly.  Maybe I was too hasty in parting ways.  It's beginning to sound as if at least one person has died over whatever is going on.  I wouldn't like for that gentleman to be body number two.  I feel a sense of responsibility for him now.

Guess I'd better try to look up Dr. Herziwits.

I wrap the canister back up in my trenchcoat and go back out into the street.  I look for a phone booth.  I'm going to call Information to try to get the good doctor's phone number.

As a last resort, if I can't locate the doctor I'll take my story to the local precinct and hope they don't decide I'm guilty of something.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie

I take a look at the men who are coming in before I head out.  Anyone look familiar?

Panther_Gunn

oog:  Trying not to necro- too much, just throw in a few reactions.  GM, feel free to remove any sections that mess up the flow too much.

Ray's Story:

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 24, 2007, 01:20:31 PMI stare incredulously at Ray over the top of the coffeecup. 

I'm kinda having a hard time believing the load of bull you've dumped on us so far, I think but don't actually say out loud.  The expression probably says it all though.

Being an academic, and a college professor, not only does Ray not even bat an eye at the obvious look of disbelief, he probably didn't even notice or register it, as he tends to get that quite a lot.  ;)

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 25, 2007, 07:44:21 AM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 25, 2007, 05:52:45 AM
Quote"Mr.Hertzy...There are many things in this world I have seen that are deemed impossible by many but...ignoring the laws of physics without the aid of magic or demonic abilities?  I always thought that science followed a strict set of rules.

Hertzy grins.  "I've always thought science to be a bit restrictive.  It can follow the rules if it wants to, but they're a bit inconvenient for me.

Lizzie stares at the doctor and inches a little bit away from the two men and a little bit towards the door.

Quote"Of course, I follow them when it comes to medicine.  I won't risk a patient's health.  Mechanical devices are another matter."
"Of course," I say with a weak smile.  (inch inch)

"Not to malign your skills, Doctor, but for your invention to work so differently than you had intended, it's possible that it or you were influenced by some outside source during the process.  It's not unheard of for new devices to be meddled with, for less than beneficial purposes, by those that take an interest in such things."

Ray's gaze switches back to Lizzie (whether drawn by her motion or of his own volition, who can say).  "There are quite a few psyche's that cannot grasp or handle certain esoteric concepts, or the existance of things that science demands are impossible.  If you feel too uncomfortable with all of this, Miss, you would probably be safer far away from all of this.  Unfortunately, for some of us, it's far, far too late."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 25, 2007, 09:20:59 PMHertzy steps outside to answer the door.

Quote from: Alaric on May 26, 2007, 03:44:53 PMAs Steve opens the door to leave, he finds himself face to face with four men. One man says, "You Dr. Hertziwitz?" "That's not him!" says another. "Hey is Dr. Hertziwitz in there?"

Ray's attention snaps up to the commotion going on in the outer office, one hand gripping his cane, the other going to his chest.

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 26, 2007, 08:47:10 PMGuess I'd better try to look up Dr. Herziwits.[/i]

I wrap the canister back up in my trenchcoat and go back out into the street.  I look for a phone booth.  I'm going to call Information to try to get the good doctor's phone number.

You find a classic "Clark Kent"-style phone booth. You have trouble fitting in it, and need to leave the door open. You have some difficulty with the operator, thanks to your speech impediment (if you want to play that out, playing both sides of the conversation, be my guest), but you are able to get the number.

Alaric

Everyone else:

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 26, 2007, 04:52:45 PM
Steve

Rather lost in thought, this is about the last thing I expect.  Without even really glancing up I reply, "Sure, fellas, this is his office.  Waiting room's right through there!"

One man looks at another. "Think we should-?"

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 26, 2007, 05:10:44 PM

"Yeah, Doc, we gotta consult you about sum'pin."

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 28, 2007, 06:56:15 PM
Lizzie

I take a look at the men who are coming in before I head out.  Anyone look familiar?

Lizzie- [spoiler]No, none of them look familiar to you. From experience, you suspect that they're not exactly "law-abiding citizens", though you can't be sure.[/spoiler]
Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 29, 2007, 04:38:44 PM
Ray's attention snaps up to the commotion going on in the outer office, one hand gripping his cane, the other going to his chest.

Noticing the number of people in or emerging from the doctor's office, the men seem a little unsure. One whispers somethign to the others briefly, and two of the men back up a little, keeping watch on anyone who emerges from the office.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Alaric on May 29, 2007, 07:27:25 PM

Hm?

Hearing those words, I suspect that whoever it is talking to the Dr. may not be freindly.  I exit the room and see four men.  I have previously put my swords away, but I get ready to make them appear again if need be.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie

Quote from: RayRay's gaze switches back to Lizzie (whether drawn by her motion or of his own volition, who can say).  "There are quite a few psyche's that cannot grasp or handle certain esoteric concepts, or the existance of things that science demands are impossible.  If you feel too uncomfortable with all of this, Miss, you would probably be safer far away from all of this.  Unfortunately, for some of us, it's far, far too late."

Quote from: Narrator on May 29, 2007, 07:27:25 PM
Quote from: Hertzy on May 26, 2007, 05:10:44 PM

"You got a good point there," I quietly say to Ray as I eye the newcomers, "But in a moment.  I'm not quite finished with my coffee yet."

Noticing the number of people in or emerging from the doctor's office, the men seem a little unsure. One whispers somethign to the others briefly, and two of the men back up a little, keeping watch on anyone who emerges from the office.

"Looks like you got a busy day ahead of you, Doc," I murmur, still sizing up the visitors.

Uncle Yuan

Steve

"Oh, um, yes he's right in through there . . ." I trail off as I note the suddenly crowded waiting room.  I step off to the side and pull the mechanical pencil from my shirt pocket and begin to rather nervously figit with it.

::OOC: What do these guys look like?::

Spam

Envoy

I'll just sit back and listen to all of the people who are coming in, and for all the people coming out of the examination room. I don't really want to be noticed by them, so I'll just remain seated and not move a muscle.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote"Yeah, Doc, we gotta consult you about sum'pin."

Doc glances at the men for any obvious medical emergency.  If he doesn't see anything, he says,

"There doesn't appear to be any emergecies.  I have some appointments coming up today and this gentleman," he said, nodding at Patch, "needs to speak with me on behalf of the police.  You are free to set up an appointment sometime later this week.  What's your medical complaint, and who has it?"

The doctor will step behind the desk and draw out his appointment book and a pen as he speaks.

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 29, 2007, 07:19:00 PM
Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 26, 2007, 08:47:10 PMGuess I'd better try to look up Dr. Herziwits.[/i]

You find a classic "Clark Kent"-style phone booth. You have trouble fitting in it, and need to leave the door open. You have some difficulty with the operator, thanks to your speech impediment (if you want to play that out, playing both sides of the conversation, be my guest), but you are able to get the number.

Frank's story:

Calling Information for a phone number when you have a speech impediment is quite an ordeal.  A phone book would have been better, but pay phones never seem to have one intact.  I had to try to spell out a name I've never seen before.  Thankfully, the operator was able to figure out who I was looking for.

I dial the number.  It rings.

"Kuh-come on... P-pick up," I mumble.

Viking

Patch's Story

Patch looks at the four newcomers carefully.  To his mind, their manner of speaking and acting suggests that they are would-be kidnappers who were surprised to find so many visitors in the doctor's office.

[spoiler]Patch is on high alert.  He's not visibly producing his gun, but he's ready to draw at the first sign of violence.  Meanwhile, he's carefully eyeing the four strangers so that he can give a detailed description to the police, if it comes to that, and he's checking to see if any of them are acting like they're carrying concealed weapons.[/spoiler]

Alaric

Everyone but Frank:

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 29, 2007, 09:30:45 PM::OOC: What do these guys look like?::

They're all wearing fairly non-descript jackets and fedoras. Nothing about their appearances really jumps out at you.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 30, 2007, 05:04:02 AM
Doc glances at the men for any obvious medical emergency.  If he doesn't see anything, he says,

"There doesn't appear to be any emergecies.  I have some appointments coming up today and this gentleman," he said, nodding at Patch, "needs to speak with me on behalf of the police.  You are free to set up an appointment sometime later this week.  What's your medical complaint, and who has it?"

The doctor will step behind the desk and draw out his appointment book and a pen as he speaks.

Hertzy- [spoiler]You see absolutely no medical problems among the men, at least at first glance.[/spoiler]

Before any of the men can answer, and just as Hertzy has stepped behind the desk, the phone rings.

Patch- [spoiler]The way all the men are acting leads you to beleive that it's very likely that they are all carrying guns, and all ready to use them at a moment's notice.[/spoiler]

Spam

Envoy

I scan the new group of men very carefully, as it already looks like their rather unhappy.

[spoiler]If anything might happen, like some sort of random act of violence, then I'll pull their attention towards me. It wouldn't be the best thing to do, but at least it would be someway I could help. Also, if I could, I would try to get them angry at one another, trying out Steve's idea. Of course, I've never tried it before...[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hertzy's (reluctant) Story

"Excuse me a moment, gentlemen."

Picking up the phone, he says, "This is Dr. Hertziwits, how may I help you this fine day?"

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

While all of this is going on, Ray will be looking over our new "guests", in case anything obvious sticks out.

GM:
[spoiler]I'll also subtly (so as not to be noticed) cast the same detection spell as I did earlier, focusing first on the four new gentlemen, and then sweeping my gaze over our other friends (besides Hertzy.....got him already  ;)).[/spoiler]

Alaric

Everyone:

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 30, 2007, 04:11:28 PM
Hertzy's (reluctant) Story

"Excuse me a moment, gentlemen."

Picking up the phone, he says, "This is Dr. Hertziwits, how may I help you this fine day?"

The men glance at each other, but then look at Patch. The two who followed Hertzy completely into the office start whispering to each other.

Hertzy, Frank, you're on the phone with each other.

Envoy- [spoiler]You ready yourself, just in case. If something does happen, which will you try first, attracting attention to yourself, or making them mad at each other (without knowing if it will work)? You don't feel like you can try both at once.[/spoiler]

Ray- [spoiler]Ashi seems to emit some sort of strange, dark energy, but it's not quite like anything you've seen before- it somehow "feels" different. No one else, including the new arrivals, shows anything.[/spoiler]

The two men outside seem poised to intercept anyone who tries to leave.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie
I make a mental note of objects like paperweights, letter openers, and anything else that might make a good imporvised weapon.  Hand is casually near my gun as well.

Viking

Patch's Story

Patch keeps a calm expression as he slowly pulls his pen and notepad from his pockets, and starts writing inside.

[spoiler]If any of the four thugs demands to see what he's writing, it's just a simple grocery list.  However, Patch is also palming a business card so that he can write on the card while it is hidden by the notepad.  The writing on the business card is simple:  "GUYS WITH GUNS - CAREFUL!"

If he gets that much done before action starts happening, we'll see if he can actually pass the card along to someone...[/spoiler]

|