Community Forums > Posting Games

Paranoia-By-Post

(1/22) > >>

BlueBard:
Happiness is Mandatory.  Trust No One.  The Computer is Your Friend.  Trust The Computer.

I think there was sufficient interest in a Paranoia-based game that I'd like to run one at some point.  I'm in the process of developing a quick and dirty PBP system based loosely on Fudge-type game mechanics.  The goal is interesting character development and fast-paced play.

The original Paranoia allowed for little in the way of choice for character generation; everything was random.  This version lets the players do a little customization.  However, certain truisms still apply:

- Everyone is a clone.
- Mutations are treasonous.
- Everyone is a mutant.
- Secret Societies are treasonous.
- Everyone belongs to a Secret Society.
- Commie mutant traitors must die.
- The Computer is still Paranoid.  Trust The Computer.

For those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about, or why dying is fun, please visit the Wikipedia entry for Paranoia.  Then you should immediately report yourself for treasonous activity and proceed to the nearest Termination Booth.

This game is not going to start tomorrow, or probably anytime soon.  After I hammer out some basic game mechanics, I have to put together a Paranoia mission.  But I have managed to throw together a basic framework for character creation and I'm interested in finding out who wants to play.  Knowing which players and their characters will be involved will probably suggest the mission.

The nice thing about a Paranoia game is that it can be short, self-contained, and entertaining.  Missions don't have to be long, drawn out games to be fun, which lends itself to posting games.  Paranoia thrives on secrecy, which is easily taken care of with PM's and Spoiler tags.

And the best thing about Paranoia is...

[ text deleted for security reasons ]

Viking:
As a Happy and Loyal Citizen, I point out that I am the first to volunteer in Service to the Computer!  All Hail the Computer!

I look forward to being a Troubleshooter!  If I find Trouble, I will Shoot it!

BlueBard:

--- Quote from: Viking on May 11, 2007, 12:10:54 PM ---As a Happy and Loyal Citizen, I point out that I am the first to volunteer in Service to the Computer!  All Hail the Computer!

I look forward to being a Troubleshooter!  If I find Trouble, I will Shoot it!

--- End quote ---

Your loyalty and dedication are duly noted, Friend Citizen.  Please accept this voucher for one allotment of Bouncy Bubble Beverage as a token of appreciation.  It may be redeemed at any PLC depot simply by turning in the voucher, filling out form BBB-1-42608-LL, and then cross-filing form 1N-Y0R-DRMZ.

BlueBard:
Just in case it needs to be spelled out...

Players with no sense of humor and lacking creative response to frustration need not apply.

There is no L00t, nearly everything in the game is more powerful than you are, and your character is going to die more than once.

Ubermunchkins make great laser-cannon-fodder.

Alaric:
I've been curious about this game for years.

Wait... does that mean I need to proceed to the nearest Termination Booth?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version