• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Artistic Challenge 17: Powersets - Assignments Given!

Started by Pyroclasm, May 23, 2007, 09:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroclasm

Here is the new Artistic Challenge thread!  We're doing something new this month.  Each participant will be designing a brand new original character from a randomly assigned powerset.

1) Sign up by describing a powerset.  A powerset is two to four powers for one character.  It doesn't matter if the powersets are from existing sources or brand new off the top of your head, but they should not include origins, flavor text or character names.  See the spoiler tag for an example of a proper powerset listing.  Please follow the format so I don't have to edit them when I assign them.
[spoiler]Power 1: Teleportation
Power 2: Camoflauge
Power 3: Adherence to Vertical Surfaces
Power 4: Superhuman Agility

As you may have guessed, the above description was derived from Marvel's Nightcrawler.  Notice there was no mention of how he teleports, or that his "camoflauge" is melding into shadows.  There was also no mention of him being a mutant, having a demonic father or anything else that would force someone into making a specific design.
[/spoiler]

2) On June 1st I will randomly reassign the powerset descriptions to each signed participant.  Participants can add powers to their assigned set, but should avoid removing a power.
3) Start posting as soon as your image is done.  "Bonus points" for coming up with a cool origin to go with the design.

This challenge ends on June 30th.  If you want join this challenge anytime in June or finished and want another go, just ask to sign up and I will give you a powerset from a backup list.  After June 30th, I will not give out new assignments for this challenge.

IF you want the added difficulty of being told a random art style to attempt, please indicate so in your signup post. (This may include but is not limited to Kirby, Timm, Anime, etc.)
Also...
IF you want to be given a random theme from the randomizer, please indicate so in your signup post. Niether option is mandatory.

Rules:
1) It must be your art.  No editing of other people's art.  (This includes recolors, collages, sprite edits, etc.) A change for the sprite editors: You can use a base that is not your own, but you cannot "frankenstein" or "bash" your creation from other people's sprite edits.  Obviously it's an honor system, but you don't wanna get called out on it and end up ruining it for others.
2) Nothing from Freedom Force or City of Heroes/Villains.  (Both have their own sections on FR.)
3) Although technically not a work in progress thread, you can update the image in your post at any time.
4) Forum rules still govern subject matter.

Remember this is open to artists of all levels and all styles!

gdaybloke

I'm hip.

Um... powerset... let's go with...

Water control
Marine shapeshifting
and just for the hell of it, Laser Eyes

Revenant

I'm in too!

(somebody had to do this one)

• Time Travel
  • Teleportation
  • Warp / Stop Time

UnkoMan

Oh, now this is an interesting one. I'm up for it.

Here's a fairly basic sort of powerset.

• Incredible Intelligence
  • Advanced Agility
  • Super Strength

Glitch Girl

What the heck, I'm almost done with the last one and so far this has been the only Poser art I've done since December.

Powerset:
- Intangibility
- Illusion
- Teleportation

juancho

i am in
thanks pyro

Power 1 ; Freezing ability (ie iceman ice blast subzero , etc)
Power 2 : Spellcasting
Power 3 : Technokinesis ( the ability to control and create gadgets from tecnology trash and stuff, does this count??)
Power 4 : Precognition

Reepicheep

Okay, this sounds like a Reepish sort of task.

Power 1: Poison
Power 2: Invisibility
Power 3: Plant control

Enjoy!

Edited: Changed the entry :)

Pyroclasm

daglob

I'll give it a go:

Absorption (Power Duplication)
Regeneration
Physical Toughness

Pyroclasm

*bump*
Last day to get your powerset in the assignment pool!

captainspud

One power, which can be lots of different things:

-Ability to control loose dirt + rocks

Alaric

Eh, okay. Against my better judgement, I'll gather my meager artistic "talents" and enter, too.

Powers:

Prehensile tongue
Water absorption
Regeneration
Malleable bones

The Hitman

Pyroclasm

Click the Spoiler link for the complete assignment list.
Please note that some powersets were edited to match what was requested.
[spoiler]Gdaybloke:
Power 1: Water Absorption
Power 2: Regeneration
Power 3: Elasticity

Revenant:
Power 1: Poison
Power 2: Invisibility
Power 3: Plant Control

Unkoman:
Power 1: Intangibility
Power 2: Illusion
Power 3: Teleportation

Glitch Girl:
Power 1: Superhuman Speed
Power 2: Self Duplication

Juancho:
Power 1: Superhuman Intelligence
Power 2: Superhuman Agility
Power 3: Superhuman Strength

Reepicheep:
Power 1: Earth Control
Power 2: Superhuman Toughness

Daglob:
Power 1: Cold Manipulation
Power 2: Sorcery
Power 3: Technokinesis (Power over machines)
Power 4: Precognition

Captain Spud:
Power 1: Time Travel
Power 2: Teleportation
Power 3: Temporal Manipulation

Alaric:
Power 1: Water Control
Power 2: Shapeshifting
Power 3: Laser(s)

The Hitman:
Power 1: Power Duplication
Power 2: Regeneration
Power 3: Superhuman Toughness[/spoiler]

Remember:
1) Name, Appearance, Origin, Methods are completely up to you.
2) Incorporate the powers in your design as best you can.  (Obviously, some passive powers may not have overt visuals, but can influence the character's theme.)
3) You can add any power to the set you think will round out your character.
4) If you finish early and want another go or missed the signup and just want to join the fun, just ask.  I will assign you a powerset from a backup list.

Good luck everyone. (Especially Daglob who got probably the most eclectic mix of powers on the list.)

Post them when you're done!

daglob

>>Good luck everyone. (Especially Daglob who got probably the most eclectic mix of powers on the list.)

>>Post them when you're done!

Eclectic? That looks like one of my Champions villains.

Pyroclasm

Reepicheep

I may not be underlined, but I sure am happy with my selection. Cool stuff.  :thumbup:

Pyroclasm

Quote from: Reepicheep on June 01, 2007, 09:12:53 AM
I may not be underlined, but I sure am happy with my selection. Cool stuff.  :thumbup:
Fixed.

UnkoMan

I think this is one of my favourite challenges yet. I love all the different power sets here. I also love how the one I got totally feeds a sort of "super-obsession" of mine, but you'll see when I'm done. Except, it will actually be a bit AFTER I'm done, since my computer is on the fritz right now. It should be by the end of the month, but I'm just giving a heads up.

Looking forward to seeing these, folks!

daglob

Okay, I've never done ths before. What do I do when I get finished?

Pyroclasm

Scan your picture, upload it to an image host, and post it in here so everyone can see it.

daglob

Okay:

Origin/whathaveyou:

:spoiler:
[spoiler]Background/History: Gerald Elias watched on the security monitor as the men in the black coveralls and ski masks herded his co-workers into the break room at the points of several guns. It had been pure chance that he was in the "cold room" making some adjustments to "the chair" when the invasion happened. He had no idea who these people were, but he knew what they wanted: the implants. So far they had succeeded in giving the implants to several rats, a dog, and a chimpanzee. All had survived the initial surgery and the "freezing down" process, and had definitely shown signs of increased intelligence. It was still being debated as to why they committed suicide within a few days, but Gerry did not believe that the same things would happen if they were able to graduate to human testing. The chair was designed for that eventuality. No human had hands steady enough to insert the implants into the correct places in the brain. All that was going to be done by a computer. Once the implants were in place, they would be chilled, along with the brain, to a temperature well below the freezing point of water. It happened so fast that the water in the brain cells didn't have time to form ice crystals and damage the cell walls. Then, the implants, the backpack unit, and the brain were all part of a linked superconducting computer. Of course, the process could not be reversed (the crystals WOULD form during the thawing process), but that would be a small price to pay for the enhanced intelligence and reasoning power the system would have. He turned away from the monitor when the gunmen began to hose his coworkers down with bullets. He turned toward "The Chair". Somewhere he was sure that the gunmen had teammates who were trying to rob the computer of its secrets. That he couldn’t do anything about... at least not right now. He removed his protective gear and walked toward "The Chair". He wondered what a super-cooled cyber-organic supercomputer could come up with.
   The door to the so-called “cold room” had a lot in common with the door of a bank vault. It took the invaders quite some time to open it without endangering the valuable prizes inside. There was one big difference, though: when the invaders broke in, they had someone waiting for them. He reached out with his mind and blew up all the laser sights on all he guns, made all the batteries in all the watches discharge at once, and caused what minor damage he could. The few bullets that were fired in his direction just slowed down as hey approached him, falling to the ground a foot or so away from him. A nimbus danced around his head and suddenly the machines in the outer office melded together into something like a dinosaur and proceeded to chase the invaders. One man pulled the pin on a grenade, and Gerry held out his arm. Cold seemed to flow down his arm, and strike the grenadier. The man froze in place; literally. The being that had been Gerald Elias walked out of the "cold room". A quick survey showed that none of his co-workers had survived, and that all he files that remained had been destroyed. He reached out with his mind again and found d the network server's hard drives just being loaded into a helicopter. He could "see" through the outside security cameras. He quested with his mind a little more, and took control of the helicopter's engine. He spun the turbine up faster and faster until the engine reached critical failure, and turbine blades went flying through the helicopter and all its inhabitants. Just for good measure, Gerry set off the rockets that were mounted on the 'copter. The last invader fell to the claws of the "dinosaur". Gerry sat down and took stock of the situation. The process had several unexpected side effects that, while Gerry did not mind, would have to be eliminated if the process was to be done on a wider scale. Gerry sighed. He still had a lot of work to do. He gathered up some equipment and found an old hat and topcoat. His car was still outside in the parking area. He loaded in the equipment and, without a backward glance, drove away.

Personality/Motivation: Frostbyte is primarily driven by curiosity. He wants to see how far the experiment can progress, how cold he can get, and how smart he can get. To that end, he will do just about anything. His loss of an emotional base hasn't made him where he doesn’t know right from wrong, he just no longer cares. He will sometimes oppose criminals, especially if the criminals are dressed in black coveralls and ski masks or the like. He usually has some kind of excuse, such as they weren’t esthetically pleasing, they were distracting him from more important work, or they caused him to make a mistake in a quadratic equation he had been working on. He will oppose heroes if they try and stop him from obtaining some piece of equipment he has determined he needs. He will aid in opposing large-scale threats, such as acts of terrorism or even natural disasters, but these actions are not altruistic: he is trying to survive.
   In general, he does not believe that killing is a good solution to a problem. This does not mean that he will NOT kill, but that he is unlikely to.

Quote: "Your constant attempts at subduing me are not based on logic. However, my response to those attempts is."

Powers/Tactics: The super cooled implants in Frostbyte's brain do exactly what they were intended to do: increase his intelligence. He has modified the system several times, improving the unit from a large, bulky backpack and connector leads almost two inches in diameter, to a form-hugging device barely bigger than a laptop computer attached to leads that protrude only a quarter of an inch. His intelligence has given him the ability to create science that is so far beyond the present that it appears to be magic. In addition, he once made a study of so-called "magic users", and insists that he has determined how they use their minds to control their environment. He says he now controls his environment the same way. His "magic spells" all seem to involve machines and cold, so it may just be science after all. The implants are also sensitive to what passes for thought “processes" among computers as well as advanced robots and androids. Frostbyte can overload these systems and control them. At some point, either through magic or science, he began to control even non-computerized machines (although you might be surprised how many modern devices have what passes for a computer in them). Frostbyte can, and has, created "machine golems" from automobiles, home appliances, computers, military and construction equipment. He will task these with delaying pursuit allowing him to get away. He can also "wish" up robots, but that seems to be a lengthy process and doesn't do that on the spur of the moment. The last thing he seems to be able to do is control the cold that leaks from his super cooling system, and fire "beams" of cold (actually, he drains the heat energy out of a target, as well as the heat from the air between the two of them). He can freeze the water vapor out of the air and make walls, shackles, entangles, or cages, and can actually flash freeze the air out of an area, causing an implosion.

Appearance: Wrapped up in a hat and coat, Frostbyte looks normal enough, but he still can't hide the aura of cold that his freezer unit develops. Water within a meter of him will freeze within an hour, and if he holds it the process is almost instantaneous. People who touch him without some kind of protection will suffer serious frost bite, and those who maintain contact with his body can even have severe tissue destruction. In humid environments, the moisture in the air will condense out into a chill mist or even freeze into snow. He wears a form-fitting blue and gray uniform with silver bracers, waist-pods, and backpack unit. From the unit snake the implant leads that seem to be attached to his skin. These leads go up the back of the neck and connect to the twelve or so implants spaced over his cranium. Frostbyte's completion is pale, and he no longer has any body hair. This last is something he did to himself. It is supposed that he has made other changes in his body as he has figured out "how". It is believed that his eyes, which look like featureless white orbs, are replacements for the originals.

Note: The newspapers have called him Technomage, Cryomancer, and Frostbyte, with the latter being the most popular. If you ask him what to call him, he will answer “I used to be Gerald Elias. You may call me that if you wish.” [/spoiler]

I built him as a Champions character first. While typing the effects of his Damage Shield, I was suddenly posessed by the urge to calll him Frostbyte.

Pyroclasm

The tags didn't work in the first post as it looks like the left bracket is missing from the IMG command.  Challenge threads shouldn't have anything from City of Heroes or Freedom Force.  You can just use the "edit" command to fix your post, rather than reposting.

Oh, and nice drawing.  :thumbup:

Reepicheep

Daglob, thats amazing! Can really see that strange mix of powers work well there.

Awesome work.  :wub:

Pyroclasm

bumpity bump
About halfway through the month.  Anyone else working on theirs?

Glitch Girl

Reepicheep

Only just picked up the time to make a start on this. It'll definately be around soon. :)

gdaybloke

juancho

i gues ill be finishing mine this weekend if i dont have to bring work home, i am almost done, but i need some key things on the design

psychopanda

I've started sketching again and have never signed up for one of these. Is it too late to get in?

If so, I think this is the info you needed:

Power set:
Pyrokinesis
Density control
Eidetic memory
Environmental adaptation

I would like random art style and random theme as well.