• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Star Wars: The Force Unleased

Started by Mr. Hamrick, May 25, 2007, 07:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

The concept sounds so stupid and out of continuity that I don't know if I could get interested.  Yeah, the graphics engine is amazing, but secret apprentice of Darth Vader?  Who came up with that idiotic idea?

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 25, 2007, 09:30:58 PM
The concept sounds so stupid and out of continuity that I don't know if I could get interested.  Yeah, the graphics engine is amazing, but secret apprentice of Darth Vader?  Who came up with that idiotic idea?

some guy named George Lucas and the people that work for him at Lucas Arts

Volsung

The plot is incongruous.But hopefully we're talking about a game.
Gameplay prevails!

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 25, 2007, 09:30:58 PM

Tao, Hethrir, Rillao, Lumiya and Flint.
Vaders first 5 apprentices.
that in mind, a sixth REALLY dousnt sound very idiotic does it.

(edit: I should actually look at the article, tho I presume the storyline will be about the same as the novel and the comic they're also bringing out.*snip I had some wrong info here so I took it out*)

Reepicheep

UFB once again proves that arguing is useless unless you know everything. Ever.

I'm excited about this game. I love the jedi knight series - and their stories are nothing to boast about at all - and this sounds like its gonna be on those lines. I've been following it for a while

Edit: That image on the first link looks like something Ink would do, doesn't it? Definately close to his style.

thalaw2

JKII was one of my favorite games of all time.  I was disappointed when JKIII didn't match or beat it in terms of multiplayer.  I'm not so much interested in linear story as I am in the multiplayer capabilities.  If they can bring back the awesom sniping of JKII then I'm sold!

captainspud

Sigh, another overanxious implementation of Euphoria.

Euphoria is a neat dealie for animation, wherein instead of manually animating everything in the game, you plug in basic movement variables and examples and then TELL the program, "Alrighty, he should punch that guy" and the game figures it out on the fly. It's easier to do and gives a new animation every time. It's great in theory, but unfortunately, the technology is still its infancy, and for now, it looks really bad. Current versions are a toy or a crowd scene filler, not a practical full-game engine.

Lucasarts already previewed one game that I know of with the Euphoria engine-- some Indiana Jones game they're developing. Great concept, but the animations look awful. I read a first impressions article from a sitdown one reporter got, and he absolutely hated it. Indie moves like a drunk mannequin.

Euphoria isn't ready to be used this way. The Indie game proved that (and no new Euphoria version's come out in the interim that I'm aware of). Basing an entire game concept on it in the way that this one does is a recipe for a bargain-bin turd. Masters of Teras Kasi, anyone?

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteTao, Hethrir, Rillao, Lumiya and Flint.
Vaders first 5 apprentices.
that in mind, a sixth REALLY dousnt sound very idiotic does it.

All six sounds idiotic.  What dumb book or comic or game did that debut in?

Quotesome guy named George Lucas and the people that work for him at Lucas Arts

It was a retorical (sic) question.  If Lucas is going to contradict himself in this manner, than I will pretend that I never heard of him.  This is the same guy that made Episodes I and II you know.

UnfluffyBunny

ok cat, i'm just gonna regard you in the "i've seen star wars 4,5 and 6 and therefore I cant be wrong" catagory
if you actually tried reading, and not just standing by what you as an individual believe, you'd come across far less ignorant.

Reepicheep

I think that Cat is referring to how the extended universe has brutally murdered Star Wars as it purely was.

In some cases I agree, in others I don't, but I don't think he's making an ignorant statement.

captainspud

Quote from: Reepicheep on May 27, 2007, 06:00:10 AM
I think that Cat is referring to how the extended universe has brutally murdered Star Wars as it purely was.

In some cases I agree, in others I don't, but I don't think he's making an ignorant statement.

ig·no·rant      /ˈɪgnərənt/ Pronunciation Key -[ig-ner-uhnt]
–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man. 
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. 
3. uninformed; unaware. 
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement. 

No, Fluffy's right.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm referring to how this is contradicting the universe as established in the six movies.  Vader having any apprentices does not make sense, given revelations about the nature of the Sith in the episodes 1-3.  (While episodes 1-2 were not very good, they did at least expand upon the universe of 4-6 and explained a lot of things very well)

I can understand the extended universe not fitting in well before these movies, but there's no excuse for a game coming out now to do so.  Besides, the whole concept sounds so absurd to me.  And not just to me, by the way, there's a large number of Star Wars fans who had the same reaction.

Quoteok cat, i'm just gonna regard you in the "i've seen star wars 4,5 and 6 and therefore I cant be wrong" catagory
if you actually tried reading, and not just standing by what you as an individual believe, you'd come across far less ignorant.

So I'm not allowed to have my own opinion?  I believe this is whole game concept is stupid.  I have given you some of my reasoning.  If you disagree, fine, but don't call me ignorant because you don't agree with me.

Spam

Okay, I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but here I go for it anyways...

This game, will more then likely just give LucasArts more money, but it may not succeed as a very good game. It still has potential (You gotta admit, throwing a guy in the air, shocking him with lightning, then throwing him down to the ground in a huge explosion DOES sound cool...), but it may not acceed beyond that, so there really isn't that much to fight about... Not unless if you LIKE to pwn someone by telling them something they didn't know about Star Wars...  :huh:

I mean, its just another Star Wars game that'll make rich people more rich, and make fanboys more giddy about the series. By now, who in the world cares?

Until I see something else that could impress me about the game, I may look into it further. But until then... Yeah...

*puts up anti-everything shield*

FORIAMSPAM!

crimsonquill

I'm a pretty good Star Wars fan... not an uber fan but this game just gives me a 'Eehh!' feeling because it's another game trying to force me to buy a PS3/XBOX360 for another platformer when I rather save my cash for the inevitable Lightsaber Star Wars game for the Wii.

Plus I hold the Extended Universe stuff in the 'Elseworld' catagory because not all of the games, books, RPGs, comics, and action figures mesh together perfectly without fudging some history as they add more stuff from year to year. Heck, even the rumored TV show between Episodes III and IV shall bend all kinds of storylines around to just get more tie-ins for cameos by movie actors.

- CrimsonQuill

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 27, 2007, 10:16:05 AM
So I'm not allowed to have my own opinion?  I believe this is whole game concept is stupid.  I have given you some of my reasoning.  If you disagree, fine, but don't call me ignorant because you don't agree with me.

you said it was idiotic.
I gave information to show some actual depth to it
you said that my info was idiotic with no actual knowledge of the characters or the settings of said character
I state your reply makes you sound ignorant (for reasons aforementioned) (and note, I said you come across ignorant, I in no words said "you are ignorant", dont put words in my mouth)

I gave atleast a basis for my comments, you tried to shoot me down because you dont agree with me.

GogglesPizanno

Cant we all just get along???
I mean, 20 years ago, these were the types of arguments that made Star Wars fans mock the Star Trek guys...

I was a fanboy for a good many years.
But the idea of "cannon" for Star Wars at this point is like talking about what's "cannon" for the IRS tax code.
Its evolved and expanded into something totally convoluted and beyond these types of arguments.

As for the game?
Most game plots are silly and ridiculous and cliche'/dumb, regardless as to whether based on an existing property or not.
It's either gonna be fun or its not.

Glitch Girl

Okay, I looked at the footage.

It might be a cool game, but it doesn't FEEL like a Star Wars game, no matter what the LucasArts people say.  That may be just me though.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 28, 2007, 07:00:34 PM
Okay, I looked at the footage.

It might be a cool game, but it doesn't FEEL like a Star Wars game, no matter what the LucasArts people say.  That may be just me though.

I'm prone to agree, although I've never played a star wars game, so I'm a poor judge.  This just seems a bit ueber to me . . .

BentonGrey

I don't know....if it were Luke post ROTJ, when he had become the greatest master and all that...I could see this.  I remember in Dark Empire when he took out that AT-AT with just the force....so awesome.  Still, just some young punk sith?  I don't think so.  I'm pretty decently versed on the expanded universe stuff, and I have to agree that I don't like the premise much, but then again, I've always wanted more games where you actually get to play with Luke and Co.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI gave atleast a basis for my comments, you tried to shoot me down because you dont agree with me.

I wasn't trying to shoot you down.  You were just the messenger, and I don't shoot the messenger.  I was just saying that the concept of Darth Vader having an apprentice was idiotic, in context of the movie storyline, and I don't care much for who came up with the concept.

captainspud

The Player Character

Well, at least one part of the game is grounded and dignified.

:rolleyes:

Someone call Leeloo, her gauzekini's been stolen.

UnfluffyBunny

The player character is Vaders apprentice, all we know about maris is that she's a zabrak force user born after the jedi purge

(further proof to people that not all zabraks are covered in markings like darth maul was!)

Verfall

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 29, 2007, 05:13:33 PM
QuoteI gave atleast a basis for my comments, you tried to shoot me down because you dont agree with me.

I wasn't trying to shoot you down.  You were just the messenger, and I don't shoot the messenger.  I was just saying that the concept of Darth Vader having an apprentice was idiotic, in context of the movie storyline, and I don't care much for who came up with the concept.

Why is it idiotic? There is 19 years between the end of episode 3 and the start of episode 4. Doesn't it make sense for Vader to be training an apprentice in case he gets the chance to take down Palpatine? He tried to do the same thing with Luke in episode 6. And Dooku, who was technically Palpatine's apprentice, had Assaj Ventress basically as his apprentice. The sith are all about the treachery, and it is part of the "rule of two" that Vader always be trying to take down Palpatine, otherwise he is too weak to be his apprentice.

And all this information can be found in the 6 movies and the Clone Wars episodes. One doesn't even need to delve into the expanded stuff.

Lucas considers the 6 movies, the Clone Wars and anything that has to do with Shadows of the Empire to be the highest canon when it comes to his creation. Vader having an apprentice in the 19 year period before Luke came around fits easily into the mix.

And considering that the game is part of another "Shadows of the Empire" type multimedia project, there is a good chance everything included in that will be considered canon by Lucas himself/

Lunarman

George Lucas keeps it all in order and has an input in all the SW stuff we know. It's his only income right now ;)
What is in those comics/episodes/games/books is his law.

MJB

The demo has been on Xbox Live and PS Network for a few days now. Anyone else download this and try it out? It's so much fun. My 9 year old is playing through the demo now for the 5th time. :)

-MJB

catwhowalksbyhimself

MJB

Leave it to Cat to respond to a remark from almost 15 months ago. :P

-MJB

JeyNyce

Okay I believe the game comes out this week.  Buy it, Rent it, Watch/ Read the reviews and then post your comments.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteLeave it to Cat to respond to a remark from almost 15 months ago. tongue

I didn't realize this topic had been suddenly resurrected.  I think I mixed up this old discussion with an ongoing one on another forum.