• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Fallout 3 is out!!!

Started by Verfall, June 05, 2007, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GogglesPizanno

People have been talking about how you can hammer though the main Story pretty quickly (and I know a few who have) but that misses a lot of the fun stuff. I've been alternating between main story missions and some of the side quests and there is a lot to do. I also like how most of the side quests are kind of morally linked to each other and the choices you make are often dependent on some of the missions you have done beforehand. Without going into spoilers there were a couple of missions that I did in a certain order, whereas a coworker who played the game did them in a different order. As a result of that, The way he chose to accomplish a mission was totally different than mine, yet each of us felt we had done the "right" thing.

That's the kind of stuff I liked.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Talavar on November 09, 2008, 10:15:47 AM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on November 08, 2008, 08:51:43 PM
I don't know anything at all about this series but was looking at this one and thinking it looked very interesting. Do I have to be versed in the last two installments or not to really enjoy Fallout 3?

In fact, it's probably better if you aren't.

As I understand it, the storyline of Fallout 3 is not a sequel to those of Fallout 1 & 2.  It shares the setting, but is an unrelated story that is not a continuation.  This is only from what I've read and heard though; maybe there is some connection to the original Vault Dweller or his descendants that I'm unaware of.

There is no real connection to the descendants of the original Vault Dweller, though, ye do get to wear his original Vault suit and ye do run into quite a few of the people and hera about other people that played major roles in the first two games.  So it's kinda a continuation of the setting and universe but not of the Vault Dweller storyline.

lugaru

And seriosly I think the system is a huge improvement over the tactical one, and I have played a TON of tactical shooters (1,2,tactics,x-com,jagged alliance, shadow watch) I always felt that the system for Fallout was way off balance, for the first half of the game was taking turns with raiders shooting at each other with neither ever hitting, the second half of the game was instantly pulverizing every foe you ran into. The sequel lacks very little of the charm but feels like a much better game.

lugaru

The one thing I was afraid of was bugs and I already ran into a few. First I'm getting a lot of crashes during load screens but also there was one town where I was supposed to repair some robots and they where simply not there. Good news is that I was not the first so I found a wiki that said how to generate those robots via debug and I got through the quest.

Also I cant wait to see the mods! I'm thinking of actually getting into this one and putting together an open ended spin off that lets you start as either a raider, tribal, wastelander or vault dweller, each with a starting Perk and narrative hook.

Also I always wanted to do a Latin America post apocalyptic revolution mod for half life with 90's ethnopunk as the radio track and if I can create radio tracks I might finally put it together in half life 3.

UnfluffyBunny

for random fun i've been recreating some of the guns in secondlife, once I have a small collection i'll post some pics somewhere, lol

Midnight

The Phantom Eyebrow

This game is awesome to the max.   :D

captmorgan72

I hate comparing games to each other, but how does the graphics measure up to Gears of War 2? I'm about half way into Gears and the graphics are blowing me away. I defiantly love the post nuclear war theme though, been looking at getting this one for awhile now.   

Xenolith

I'm about halfway through the game.  Pretty fun.  I know I'm missing lots of random buildings and things, but I don't want to waste my precious ammo on random encounters.  Still, very good game even if it does crash quite a bit.

GogglesPizanno

One thing to note is that when you finish the main quest, the game is basically over...
You don't jump back into the world to finish stuff it's just -- the end.

So I saved often and when I finished the main story, I reloaded a game just prior to the last mission and went back to explore all the side quests and stuff... and there is still A LOT of stuff that I'm still finding and exploring. Its huge...

tommyboy

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on November 29, 2008, 02:33:54 PM
One thing to note is that when you finish the main quest, the game is basically over...
You don't jump back into the world to finish stuff it's just -- the end.

So I saved often and when I finished the main story, I reloaded a game just prior to the last mission and went back to explore all the side quests and stuff... and there is still A LOT of stuff that I'm still finding and exploring. Its huge...

Yes, if you only do the main quest you are probably only seeing 1/4 or less of the 'world'. I think it's best played as an exploration first, then do the main quest when you've seen enough apocalyphria (ha! I made up a new word).

lugaru

I ignored the main quest for the longest time and when I finished the game I still hadent done a ton of stuff you can do. It's amazingly deep, although I just dont like that ending. Oh well, all more the reason to mod, no?

GogglesPizanno

While I myself have the 360 version, when it drops down in price with the inevitable GOTY version for PC I may pick it up cause the Editor tools are now available.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/geck.html

lugaru

Check out my first mod!

It doubles the rad values and health of most foods. Canned foods now provide more healing too but cost more. Lastly purified water reduces your rad count by 10.

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1447

Deaths Jester

The Geck is finally out..go get it...mod to ye delight...do it!  DO IT!!!!  DO IT!!!!

thalaw2

My laptop can't handle fallout 3 and i don't wanna purchase a new desktop right now.  Anyone thing going old skool with Fallout 2 is good?

lugaru

Sure, although be warned that it is pretty old at this point. You can get it from good old games or gametap for cheap and with little hassle.

lugaru

|