• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

What's in a name? New posting game.

Started by Uncle Yuan, June 30, 2007, 06:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

In addition to song lyrics, I occasionally get random words stuck in my head.  I don't think there's anything significant about the actual word beyond the fact that the sound appeals to me.  The meaning or the context is totally beside the point.

Anyway, this made me think of a (maybe) interesting posting game.  It's played in rounds, and the round leader supplies an unusual, rarely used, but legitimate English word.  Everybody else supplies what they think the definition should be based solely on the "feel" of the word alone.  (In other words, this is a creativity and humor game, not a use of a dictionary game.)  After a suitable period of time (up to the round leader) the round leader closes the round, supplies the "correct" definition, declares a winner and that person leads the next round.  Obviously the scoring system is entirely subjective, and playing to the judge is perfectly acceptable.

So here's the first word:

vecuronium (VEK-yu-rohn-ee-um)

The Phantom Eyebrow

Vecuronium:  A hypothetical element (if they can but get a sufficent number of protons, neutrons and electrons to live happily in the one nucleus) that, if made, would exist in a large crystalline form of great beauty, such that supervillains the world over would be compelled to devise devious and diabolical schemes to steal it (preferably from right under the nose of the hero or heroes entrusted with guarding it).