Author Topic: Watchmen Movie  (Read 10167 times)

Offline Jakew

Re: Watchmen Movie
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2008, 04:31:55 AM »
Synder made a lot more changes than he let on, apparently.

25 Minutes of Watchmen
WatchmenComicMovie.com was at the press event that screened several scenes of the movie

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/100708-watchmen-movie-footage.php

A few things in the article which made me sigh in exasperation a little. I knew they were probably going to happen but still ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Something I did like:

Offline House Quake

« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »
I'm kinda glad I haven't read the book... or tried to read too many of the spoilers here.  :(

I'm not trying to be argumentative... but geez guys... is there EVER going to be a movie you don't nit pick or turn into negative Nancys on before it even comes out?

One thing I believe most of you miss... 95% of the people who may see this movie will have never read any comic about this movie prior.  80% will have never picked up a comic in thier life.  While comic based movies often throw in enough to cater to the fan boyz... they have to be more conscious about catering to the masses.  And in most cases... what worked in the comic doesn't translate well into what will work on film.. or what most people may enjoy.

Sure we want them to stay true to the characters and storylines... but producers, directors, screen writers, etc aren't always just trying to re-create a carbon copy of what some one else has done already with out any of thier own creative input involved.  They want to take what was previously true and add thier own wrinkles to it so they can surprise and give people something new. 

The only times you get movies which stay true to thier source material is when the person who made the source is directly involved... and even then that is only seldom ly true.

Offline bredon7777

« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2008, 12:11:46 AM »
Sorry, you don't get to change Major Plot Points.  I knew there were going to be minor changes, and I was ok with that (for example the naming of the team, 'The Watchmen'), but that ending (if true, and I refuse to believe its true until I see the finished product) is a complete and utter deal breaker.

You want to make a change like that? Go write your own <bleeping> novel and film THAT, instead.  If you're adapting something, your job is to stay as close to the source material as possible. Period. End of Story.

(Yes, this is a bit ranty, but this has gotten on my nerves for years - especially after the first Harry Potter movie proved just how possible it was to do exactly what I thought an adapatation should do)

Offline MJB

• Moderators
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2008, 12:36:44 AM »
You are comparing The Watchmen to Harry Potter?! Eww...

-MJB

Offline BWPS

« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2008, 12:40:30 AM »
Yeah why would you compare a film adaptation of one of the coolest books of all time to one film adaptation of the coolest books of all time?

Offline MJB

• Moderators
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2008, 12:57:42 AM »
Let me say this in closing, before this gets off subject, my "ew" is my opinion. It is neither wrong nor right. I say this because I feel that way, not to influence anyone.

Let us not derail this subject any longer. Back to talking about the Watchmen...

-MJB

Offline TheMarvell

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2008, 01:36:36 AM »
the first Harry Potter movie actually almost put me to sleep, which proves, to me at least, that even the most faithful of adaptations can still make for poor movies.

So where is the best place to get a copy of Watchmen? Is the one on Amazon a good one?

Offline MJB

• Moderators
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2008, 01:57:30 AM »
Wherever you can find a copy of the complete series on the cheap is a good place.

-MJB

Offline Podmark

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2008, 02:00:45 AM »
So where is the best place to get a copy of Watchmen? Is the one on Amazon a good one?

I bought mine from Amazon a month or so ago. About $15 Canadian. It's the normal current paperback volume, but the hardcover should be out now or soon. There's also the expensive Absolute Edition.

Kinda wish I'd gotten a hardcover version if only because my cat bit my paperback  :(

Offline ow_tiobe_sb

« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2008, 10:38:34 AM »
Sorry, you don't get to change Major Plot Points.  I knew there were going to be minor changes, and I was ok with that (for example the naming of the team, 'The Watchmen'), but that ending (if true, and I refuse to believe its true until I see the finished product) is a complete and utter deal breaker.

You want to make a change like that? Go write your own <bleeping> novel and film THAT, instead.  If you're adapting something, your job is to stay as close to the source material as possible. Period. End of Story.

(Yes, this is a bit ranty, but this has gotten on my nerves for years - especially after the first Harry Potter movie proved just how possible it was to do exactly what I thought an adapatation should do)

Quote from: Juvenal
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ego mos non, si illa vicissitudo subsisto.

ow_tiobe_sb
Bunburyistis Phasmatis et Fossor Oriens

Offline BentonGrey

« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
Very clever tiobe.

Offline bredon7777

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2008, 08:50:47 PM »
Bravo, tiobe.  Well said.

Offline thanoson

« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2008, 01:33:37 PM »
Ok, translation for those of us without big brains?

Offline Jakew

« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2008, 08:34:57 PM »
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Who watches the watchmen?

Ego mos non, si illa vicissitudo subsisto
I will not , if you wish that change to stand

ego partis idem eadem idem sensus

Also, a new Total Film article regarding the previews:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/first-reaction-watchmen

Offline The Enigma

« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »
It did upset me the way that they were referred to as "the watchmen". One of the best bits is that it's constantly implied in the graphic novel, but never outright said (save in the title). The Crimebusters meeting proved how all the heroes are too different to work together, especially The Comedian and Rorschach (more so later on for the latter) and although the Juvenal graffiti appears all over the place, it's never shown in its entirety. We as comic readers come to the text with preconceived notions about hero teams and, after X-Men etc., so will film audiences. I think to cater to what people expect (random heroes with powarz get together because they have powarz and the plot demands it) is oversimplifying what Moore was trying to do.
What I expect we will see is Watchmen as Zack Snyder reads it and thinks about it. This will not be Watchmen as I read it and think about it and may or may not overlap with my view or with yours. That does not preclude it from being a good film. Peter Jackson's LotR films were good films, even though they were far from how I read and think about the book (especially the latter two) and I enjoyed them for what they were. I will try and do the same for Watchmen, knowing always that I can go back to the text whenever I need to.

Offline the_ultimate_evil

« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »
i just finished the book, so if the alien has been changed have we been told what it's been changed too?

Offline Podmark

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2008, 11:28:40 PM »
i just finished the book, so if the alien has been changed have we been told what it's been changed too?

Offline Jakew

« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
New trailer / Comicon footage ... we see Moloch, Janey Slater, Dollar Bill, Silk Spectre I, etc

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/watchmen/comic-con-footage

This looks great ... easily the best trailer so far. I think this trailer was designed to keep the fans onboard after Trailer 2 (which showed a few major alterations to a film that had been hyped as a faithful adaptation of the comic).

Also, this is the new French trailer ... we see Roscharch as a kid, Archie in Antarctica, some more action, etc.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/International-Watchmen-Trailer-11194.html

Offline Mr. Hamrick

« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »

Offline Podmark

« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »

Offline BatWing

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »
omg i cant wait to see this movie!

Offline the_ultimate_evil

« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2008, 04:08:04 PM »
moore is just against anything and everything, i get the feeling he takes that stance now cause people expect it of him

Offline Jakew

« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2008, 05:05:52 AM »
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/110608-watchmen-movie-video-journal.php

Interview with Silk Spectres 1 & 2. Both of the actresses are gorgeous.

Offline JeyNyce

• Moderators
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2008, 04:20:52 PM »