• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Watchmen Movie

Started by Jakew, July 25, 2007, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

captainspud

I can live with Nite Owl, but Ozy looks ridiculous. That's a friggin Schumacher rubber suit.

It has nipples, for FSM's sake!

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: captainspud on March 06, 2008, 09:39:30 AM
I can live with Nite Owl, but Ozy looks ridiculous. That's a friggin Schumacher rubber suit.

It has nipples, for FSM's sake!

You should also take a gander at that "nether eye," as Chaucer might say. ;)

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

the_ultimate_evil

i can see peoples point, i havn't read the book only just started it. but i get the feeling that the comedian and Rorschac are more street level hence the gritter look. where as ozy seems like a poster boy for all thats good in superheros, kinda a punisher/ superman comparison.

Jakew

I like the costumes. They could NEVER make the costumes identical to the comic book, because they simply wouldn't work / look intimidating in real life ... Nite Owl II and Silk Specter being the two main offenders. I think they've fixed this nicely in the movie, and also made spot-on verions of Roscharch and The Comedian.

But, I do agree that the black sculpted plastic Ozymandias doesn't look that good ... his original purple and yellow costume wouldn't have been a winner either. I was hoping they'd just get the actor really muscular and then put a tunic on him ... ala Rambo, where he wore a shirt for the entire movie, but you could tell he built like a powerhouse.

Verfall

Yeah Ozy's costume is the only one that throws me off. The guy looks tiny, when he should be a huge buff Arnold type physique. Have to say Silk Spectre's is my favorite of the "new" versions. Nite Owl should have, like was mentioned, a gut. He's supposed to be out of shape and middle aged, not ripped like an athlete. Hopefully it's only the costume making him look like that, and outside of it he's a bit flabby. Comedian and Rorschach are pretty much dead on to the comics, and I assume the bad wig is just bad photoshopping.

But so far, this movie looks like it'll be passable. It'll be damn near impossible to translate the book, but if they come half as close as Sin City did, it'll be worth my money.

Also, did anyone else hear something about the "The Black Freighter" being released as an "animatrix" type animated movie?

Jakew

Yep ... Gerard Butler is doing the voice-over of the main guy.

BentonGrey

They all look pretty good, except for Ozy.  The Owl isn't perfect, but his is much less wrong than Ozy's.

bredon7777

Nite Owl looked pretty buff in costume in the book as well.  Honestly, people I dont think Ozy is THAT bad.  Is it as good as it could've and shouldve been? No.  But it wasn't anywhere near as bad as they couldve done it, so I'm ok with that.

MJB

The pic of the Comedian blew my socks off.

As for Nite Owl, this may be how he looks in one of the flash backs. The reason I say this is look how clean Archie looks. Either way I like the design.

I don't understand why Ozymandias torso has a Schumacher design. Eww. Just eww. Brings back too many painful memories. That beign said, I can deal with it.

Rorschach? Perfect from what I can see and from the other couple images that have been relesed.

Silk Specters costume is obscured by the lame/cheesy pose so It's hard to say for sure. It does have elements of the original, the black "bikini" type suit is still there and the yellow is present. The yellow isn't a sheer fabric draped over a swim suit but it does look familiar.

Overall, Meejub like.

-MJB

Figure Fan

Ok. I like it.

The Comedian looks really good, but I'm surprised they went with the eye mask. I wonder if we'll be seeing his full-headed mask? In my opinion, the eye mask should have been omitted. But it looks good, and you can't deny its similarity to the source material, which I suppose could be considered a plus.

Rorshach looks really, really good. He is a hard one to screw up, considering you could purchase his costume for under $20 at any thrift store on the planet.

I really, REALLY like Nite Owl. I was hoping they'd have him be in a little better shape, and have a tech suit. This makes me happy. It reminds me of one of his rarely used suits down in his basement. They did a good job with it. Archie looks pretty snazzy, too.

Silk Spectre looks awesome. It takes quite a bit from the original, but makes it more practical. She practically didn't have clothes on in the book, and those shoes were a potential hazard. I like that she's decked out in shiny black gloves and leggings. The straps from the gloves lead up to a choke-like collar, I'd be willing to bet. I hope she has a little skull on it. They could do away with the "S" earrings and give her skulls instead. That'd work. Still, they pulled off her outfit. Kudos to them. The hair looks good too, though a little on the wacky side. Still, 80's hair was pretty wacky..

Ozymandias is probably one of the most difficult to translate, but I think they did pretty good with it. I like that they used a grey-black for the armor. The purple and gold accent pieces are a nice nod to the original. It is very ornate looking, very much like an Egyptian tomb. I don't know about the headband, but anymore of one on his forehead and you've got a tiara, so I'm glad they stopped. Ozy is a character that I need to see in action before I comment any further. He's one of those characters..

This has been a good first look. I like that we are seeing some changes. I want this to be different from the book to a degree, and it looks like we're getting it in the costume department. I do have difficulty keeping in mind that this movie is set in the 1980's. I wasn't even born until 1988, so I don't have quite the same perspective some of you do. Another thing to remember is that this movie is likely to see some sepia-ish work in post-production, so you won't be seeing half of these characters in true daylight.

I'm excited!

Mr. Hamrick

correct me if i am wrong, but didn't Ozymandias dress in a superhero costume similar to that "back in the day" in the comic.   by "back in the day" i mean when they were actually all super-heroing.  not the present day time of the comic.  (that make sense?)  If that is the case then I am rather happy all things considered.

As for Night Owl, again there were two Night Owls and I could see this being the "generic" look for the character as oppose to the actual costume. 

just a thought

The Hitman

Hrmmm...

Costumes OK. Rorchach's perfect, Comedian pretty good (hoping for gimp mask for scene or two, not long), close a Silk Spectre's gonna get (half- nekked in book).

(Like my Rorchach impression?)

Owl's suit is probably holding the gut in. It better be. Other than that, I'm kinda torn. He needed a more "tech" suit, but he looks too much like Batman from Batman Begins. I dunno why, but he gives off that vibe to me.

Ozy... hrmmmm... I can understand... I can understand why they went with this look, I just... hrmmmm... I'm glad he's not all beefy. Oz was lean and acrobatic, the way I read him.

Keep in mind, though, I'm not a fan of this movie being made. I just don't think it can be done successfully. But I've said that before, I'll keep an open mind, and I'll reserve final judgement for when I see it.

crimsonquill

*blows dust off thread*

It's been awhile since anyone posted any news from the set of Watchmen...

But I came across this link from the main website which goes into details about the costumes for the movie.

And you do get to see various superhero costumes designs toward the end.. including the villians.

Go take a look: http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1551055138/bclid1551048139/bctid1552694732

- CrimsonQuill

Jakew

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watchmen-Video-Journal-Number-2-8825.html

It's cool ... you can see clips featuring the original Silk Spectre, the Topknots, Big Figure and his two thugs, etc. Veidt looks particularly slick.

Jakew

Pictures of the Minutemen all posing together during the Christmas  party.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36885

You have to admit, it's pretty cool, although .... Eddie is no longer a teenager when he tries to

:spoiler:

attack Sally Jupiter.

RTTingle

And I have a new desktop.

RTT

laughing paradox

EDIT: WORKING LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3orQKBxiEg

The trailer for the Watchmen. It is unbelievably phenomenal. Enjoy!

Figure Fan

I was going to say--

No one posted this yet??

I've been watching it repeatedly. My thoughts will be posted at a later date.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteNo one posted this yet??

All the original posts were yanked a couple of hours ago so a lot of the links that people had went dead, they supposedly will be "officially" reposted tomorrow... I knew someone would get it to YouTube eventually though.

Im just gonna wait and watch it tonight with the Dark knight on the big screen... I'll scrutinize it tomorrow online.

Figure Fan

Wow, I've been watching it on Empire Online, which was supposed to be the official release site of the trailer.

It was working not even 10 minutes ago, and now it's down.

Looks like someone made a woopsy..

Gremlin

WOW.  That looks awesome.  THis is gonna be fun! :thumbup:

GogglesPizanno

QuoteLooks like someone made a woopsy..

If by woopsy you mean the studio leaked it online early for a couple of hours then pulled it to generate a fever pitch of buzz and word of mouth?

Then yes, I would agree it was an woopsy...  ;)

MJB

Panther_Gunn

Jakew

It's impossible not to be excited by this. It looks epic! (although I hope the guy doesn't overuse the slo-mo like in Dawn Of The Dead and 300).

My only query is: the guy punching a chunk out of the wall ... what is that supposed to be from?

bredon7777

Am cautiously optomistic that they might not have screwed this up.

Was worried about the costumes..but that trailer..wow.

MJB

Quote from: Jakew on July 17, 2008, 05:42:06 PM
My only query is: the guy punching a chunk out of the wall ... what is that supposed to be from?

That's a scene from the beginning of the book. It's where the Comedian is attacked by someone.

-MJB

**EDIT**

The official trailer is now online. No more hunting for it on youtube. :P

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/

billdamn22

This looks amazing. I can't wait to see the end product.

Viking

Visually, it looks amazing.  The costumes, vehicles, and recreation of the setting show incredible devotion to the original source material, and has been accomplished in a fashion that looks great.  It deserves kudos for those facts alone.

But I'll confess that I absolutely hated the background music that played through the video montage.  It grated on my ears.  Music should not hurt to listen to.

|