• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Watchmen Movie

Started by Jakew, July 25, 2007, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakew

Yeah, I just played it back ... it looks like the Comedian fights back in the movie rather than

:spoiler: :spoiler: :spoiler:

[spoiler]letting Veidt kill him in a one-sided beatdown.[/spoiler]

Edit: added spoiler code - BG

Verfall

Quote from: Viking on July 17, 2008, 09:04:48 PM
Visually, it looks amazing.  The costumes, vehicles, and recreation of the setting show incredible devotion to the original source material, and has been accomplished in a fashion that looks great.  It deserves kudos for those facts alone.

But I'll confess that I absolutely hated the background music that played through the video montage.  It grated on my ears.  Music should not hurt to listen to.

That music is the Smashing Pumpkins song from the soundtrack for Batman and Robin.....

Ominous no?

BWPS

A song being in a trailer is a good sign that that song will not be in the movie.

I have to say, this looks like it might be pretty good. I'm thinking that some action sequences might have been elaborated on when translated from the book to the movie. Watchmen is my favorite book of all time and I've gone from having a slight curiosity to an eager anticipation.

Also, I didn't see a single blue penis!

Tortuga

Looks nifty!  It's such a great story -- it would be a shame for it to be a lackluster movie.

thanoson

I actually liked that song. Thought it was very fitting.

lugaru

I am just now realizing this is a DC/WARNER movie, restoring some of my faith in the pairing (besides Batman I mean). I hope somebody can apply this level of faithfulness to some good vertigo titles...

Changes: instead of a bunch of jaded and overweight grownups complaining it looks like you can expect some real action, which I will admit is different from the graphic novel but if they HAVE to change something having people be badasses is not that bad.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Verfall on July 17, 2008, 09:28:52 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 17, 2008, 09:04:48 PM
Visually, it looks amazing.  The costumes, vehicles, and recreation of the setting show incredible devotion to the original source material, and has been accomplished in a fashion that looks great.  It deserves kudos for those facts alone.

But I'll confess that I absolutely hated the background music that played through the video montage.  It grated on my ears.  Music should not hurt to listen to.

That music is the Smashing Pumpkins song from the soundtrack for Batman and Robin.....

Ominous no?
Was going to mention the same thing now that I've finally seen it.  (true, it was probably the only halfway decent thing about Batman & Robin, which isn't sayng much)  Interesting choice.

Trailer looks amazing.  I'm surprised how good they made Dr. Manhattan look.  Got me interested to say the least.  Here's hoping the actual script is solid, though juding from the clips, it seems they are following (at least visually) the source material pretty well.

JeyNyce

Saw the trailer while watching the Dark Knight and I am sooooo going to see this movie.  I'm going to read the graphic novel again, that trailer was so good

TheMarvell

gotta admit, that trailer was pretty damn cool

AncientSpirit

Saw the trailer for the first time yesterday, during the previews before The Dark Knight.

That was ... incredible.

Wonder what the rating for this movie will be?

BWPS

Quote from: AncientSpirit on July 21, 2008, 10:01:42 AM
Saw the trailer for the first time yesterday, during the previews before The Dark Knight.

That was ... incredible.

Wonder what the rating for this movie will be?

Well I'd assume it would be a definite R if it follows the book at all. From stills I've seen, I'm fairly sure there will still be defile in the story and they had to cut even a mild scene of that out of Hancock for a PG-13 rating. I can't imagine a Watchmen movie being any other rating...

Figure Fan

I'm gonna say hard R, easily.

300 was, so this probably will be.

stumpy

I am pretty sure it's R. See http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/17/exclusive-zack-snyder-reveals-secrets-in-watchmen-trailer/

Also, there is an amusing note in that piece that, to make the trailer PG-13 or whatever, they had to edit a one-half second shot where an assassin points a gun at the camera. Apparently, TPTB think that would freak people out. :rolleyes: So, they edited it into a walkie-talkie.  :lol:

Carravaggio

Quote from: BWPS on July 17, 2008, 09:41:04 PM

Then you didn't look hard enough  ;)
Its in there.

Can anyone tell me what the name of that song was on the trailer? I'd like to buy it.

UnkoMan

Quote from: ips on July 22, 2008, 05:38:09 AM
Quote from: Jakew on July 17, 2008, 09:06:32 PM
Yeah, I just played it back ... it looks like the Comedian fights back in the movie rather than

thanks jake. (read b4 the mod edit)

I'd argue that that isn't a spoiler at all, since it's the very action that sets off the entire story.

The trailer looked alright, yeah. We'll see if the movie holds up.

Figure Fan

Quote from: UnkoMan on July 23, 2008, 09:20:57 AM
Quote from: ips on July 22, 2008, 05:38:09 AM
Quote from: Jakew on July 17, 2008, 09:06:32 PM

thanks jake. (read b4 the mod edit)

I'd argue that that isn't a spoiler at all, since it's the very action that sets off the entire story.

Actually, Unko, it kind of is, because they never show the killer's face in that part. It is only revealed at the very end of the story, because you arent supposed to know who set this giant plan in motion.

Just sayin'..

TheMarvell

Quote from: Carravaggio on July 23, 2008, 06:36:23 AM

Its in there.

Can anyone tell me what the name of that song was on the trailer? I'd like to buy it.

I believe it's called The End of the Beginning of the End (or something close to that) and it's by the Smashing Pumpkins. From what I've read, there's a couple different versions of that song, one is faster, and the slower one featured on the trailer here is also featured on the Batman & Robin soundtrack (believe it or not...)

BatWing

i'm pretty sure everyone has seen this when they were watching the dark knight.

JeyNyce

Quote from: TheMarvell on July 23, 2008, 06:36:05 PM
Quote from: Carravaggio on July 23, 2008, 06:36:23 AM

Its in there.

I believe it's called The End of the Beginning of the End (or something close to that) and it's by the Smashing Pumpkins. From what I've read, there's a couple different versions of that song, one is faster, and the slower one featured on the trailer here is also featured on the Batman & Robin soundtrack (believe it or not...)

There's 2 version:
The slow version is called the Beginning of the End
The fast version is called the End of the Beginning

(I think that's right, it could be reverse?)

Figure Fan

Here are some awesome new promotional posters for the movie:

http://www.omelete.com.br/cine/100014038/Watchmen.aspx

:cool:

Podmark

I have to confess, I haven't read Watchmen yet (a problem I'm going to soon remedy). But this trailer looks amazing! I totally want to see this.
Also I love the song they chose. It created such a prefect atmosphere for the trailer.

udasu

It's a haunting gn, and that Pumpkins song seems so perfect. I find myself watching the trailer every other day or so... In HD of course..

C4

This looks really cool.

Protomorph

So many of the scenes from the trailer were ripped right off of the page!

bredon7777

And now, we may not get to see it:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17752

Quote from: Nikki Finke
In February of this year, Fox filed a lawsuit to prevent the WB project from going forward, claiming Fox had the exclusive rights to develop, produce and distribute a film based on the hugely popular DC Comics graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Warner Bros. motioned for a dismissal of the lawsuit, and U.S. District Court Judge Gary Allen Feess denied WB's motion last Friday. No decision has yet been made regarding Fox's desire for an injunction of the entire WB project.
A Fox source told Finke, ""While the Judge's opinion is preliminary and his views could change in the course of the litigation, his current take on the facts is consistent with our position."

JeyNyce

Rumor has it that Alan Moore didn't want the movie to be made.  Anybody else heard this?

JKCarrier

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 20, 2008, 06:58:02 AM
Rumor has it that Alan Moore didn't want the movie to be made.  Anybody else heard this?

Moore doesn't want anything to do with any of the movies made from his books. He doesn't want his name in the credits, and lets the artist have all the royalty money. This is due to his falling out with DC Comics in general, plus some bad experiences he had with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie. He talks a little bit about it here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/12/movies/12itzk.html

UnkoMan

Quote from: Figure Fan on July 23, 2008, 09:22:41 AM
Quote from: UnkoMan on July 23, 2008, 09:20:57 AM

Actually, Unko, it kind of is, because they never show the killer's face in that part. It is only revealed at the very end of the story, because you arent supposed to know who set this giant plan in motion.

Just sayin'..

Oh, oops. You're totally right. I glazed over that he said who did what. Whoops.

Anyhow, what's this Fox business? I gosh darn better be able to see this movie. They would be dissapointing so many people I would have to assume it would even cause their business to suffer somewhat.

And, yeah, Moore hates Hollywood AND DC. It's really a darn shame how they jerked him around so much. You'd think they'd treat one of, if not the greatest writer in comic book history with a little more respect. It's true that some things he doesn't like are him being a bit whiney, but come on. He's just such a fantastic talent you should really do anything in your power to keep him happy.

BWPS

Alan Moore is a great writer, but he even admits to being really selfish. And weird, whiny, and oh-so-very creepy.

Podmark

|