• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Blasted Pirate Ships!

Started by Lunarman, August 13, 2007, 02:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunarman

I'm trying to hex a pirate ship for use in one of the maps in my mod. It needs to be a building and people should be able to stand on it in order to fight.

I'm converting it from a character object to a static object, what needs to go? Do buildings need bounding boxes/oiltanks/weapons?

Thankyou very much

Lunarman

Lunarman

Having bashed at this all morning and got nowhere, I'm now sending out a plea for help to those with a better hexing mind.  :cry:

Basically, I've got a pirateship character mesh which I enlarged and modified with nifskope. I want it to be a building which characters can stand on (just like any other building) but at the moment they just fall through it.  In the middle of the ship there is a tiny square of land that characters can stand on but for some reason nowhere else works.

Click to download my attemps here

If anyone please can make the pirateship into a building that characters can stand on I would be your slave for a year (well, not really :P).

This is Lunarman's biggest beg  :lunarman:

Please can anyone help?

Thankyou ever so much

Lunarman

p.s. make sure you savour the grovelling tone of this message ;)

Boalt92

Don't know if you've tried these ideas (or even if they'll work), but...

1) set the "flyover" attribute to "0"(?)

2) try to find another object (or objects) that you can stand on,  'scope it (resizing as needed), and place it just below the surface level of the ship.  For example, note how people took the Robot Factory MP map from FF1 and covered the pit with a building mesh.  The Cuban Military Guard Tower and/or the German Radio Slab might make good candidates.

Just some suggestions.  By the way...cool ship!

B92

GogglesPizanno

Im at work right now so I cant do anything with it, but it sounds like an issue i had on converting some FF1 maps. You might try using nifskope to add a bounding box to the main model.

This may require some trial and error.

1. open up the ship model.
2. open up an object that has a bounding box node
3. copy the boundingbox node and paste into your pirate ship.
4. expand out bounding box node on the pirate ship
5. Find the "NiTrishapedata" branch and remove it.
6. Copy the "NiTrishapedata" branch from the main ship model (the mesh that you want people to walk on) and paste it
7. Make this new node you pasted a child of the bounding box node.

So in essence what you are doing is pasting in a bounding box, removing the geometry of it, and replacing it with the exact geometry of the ship model. I've had this work several times in the past with models that characters just ran through.

Lunarman

Sorry people still no good :(

Tiobe sent me a modified ship with a bounding box of the correct shape but people still couldn't stand on it, although they seemed to have more difficulty getting out from under it (they get teleported underneath at the moment)

Still, the middle bit of the ship (the tiny square) still worked. It's really weird.
edit-----

BTW, you can place objects on the deck of the ship when in level edit mode, but it's when you're actually playing that you can just walk straight through :banghead

ow_tiobe_sb

In that case, I suspect that this might be remedied through FFEdit and the template for the object in question.  Did you set the class of the object to "GAME_OBJ_BUILDING" in FFEdit? (probably a dunderheaded question)  Do you think the fact that the object's pivot places the bottom of the mesh slightly below ground/water level makes a difference?  :unsure:

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and The Prat in the Hat

Lunarman

Might have got it!!!
Previously I had tried placing objects under the deck for your chars to walk on but it just made the pirate ship disappear. This time I tried much smaller flat objects and it worked (when on top). I'm just about to try it with the panels sunken into the deck and I've added another few nifty features. This is going to be one hell of a boss battle if I can get it done, woot :)

Thankyou for all the help everyone (and a big thanks to Toibe for the meshes he's been sending me :D )

Conduit

In my experience, buildings do not need bounding boxes.  I honestly don't see why this wouldn't work.  Your idea of placing flat objects under the deck should work, though.  I know I've used that technique succesfully in a mod I'm working on.