• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Wolverine and the X-Men

Started by detourne_me, September 28, 2007, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

ow_tiobe_sb

Is this a hoax?  The new title seems unnecessarily obvious...perhaps even redundant.  My impression is that, at least since the 1990s, this has always been the implication of every X-title in which Wolverine appears regularly (or irregularly): Wolverine (top billing) and X(YZ).  :P

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and The Prat in the Hat

Previsionary

Nope, not a hoax. That's been the name of the toon since it was first brought to the public a year or so ago. Yay for using the more modern design...Boo to emma...boo to cyclop's coat. :P

I wonder how they chose the cast. At the moment, it seems like the astonishing team with a little uncanny/xmen thrown in.

wiki page

BentonGrey

Well.....I HATE the idea of Wolverine, guest starring the X-Men, but the cast is almost a good thing.  Minus Emma, I'd be happy to watch a show with those characters.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Previsionary on September 28, 2007, 01:13:23 PMBoo to emma...boo to cyclop's coat. :P

ditto.....ditto....and you forgot Boo to Nightcrawler's entire look.  Is that emo hair?  <_<

zuludelta

I like the design aesthetic the artists went for... seems like a much sleeker version of X-Men: Evolution but utilizing the comic book costumes.

BentonGrey

Yeah, the designs (for the most part) are fine by me, it's the concept that rubs me the wrong way.

lugaru

Honestly except for the Wolverine top billing I'm fine with everything else and I've become a big fan of Emma Frost when she's written as an insensitive intellectual instead of as Paris Hilton.

thalaw2

Does this mean Wolvie will be the team leader?  I've always thought he would make a good leader...in the past.  It could have been such a great story angle. 

I haven't read an X-title in a long long long long time.   I don't know the Paris Hiltoninsh Emma Frost.  So I can't boo her.

Flying_Infant

*blinks* Squidboy??? Seriously?

Jakew

Yeeesh ... that looks terrible! Ultra-cheesy title, and Wolverine's physique is way off. I liked it better when Wolverine was a short, nuggety, beat-up looking guy. A lot of empty space in the middle of the poster, too.

ow_tiobe_sb

Is that Emma Frost?  I would swear to the gaoler and the hangman that was Anna Nicole Smith.  Well, all I can say is that I have more respect for Logan knowing that he was not consorting with that lot.  Still, I think 'tis a rotten dirty scheme to use those claws to skewer more pre-teen to thirty-something sales on anything from brass Canuckles to feral Underoos (which the young Bunburyist will not don in his lifetime, that you very much).

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and The Prat in the Hat

GrizzlyBearTalon

Tall Wolverine makes baby professor X cry! Please oh please just have Colossus as a main character and an ACTUAL X-man this time!

Still I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it, that title... is so stupid... it is incredibly truthful but still...

I don't see Star Wars Episodes 1 - 3 being renamed, Anakin the Whiny Wuss of the Dark Side and his Star Wars Friends Episode 1 - 3! Let us rename Star Trek as Capt. Kirk & Friends! OH what about Picard & Pals!

Viking

Eh.... coulda looked a lot worse.  At least I don't mind the look of most of the characters.

Regrettably, Wolverine looks like Bruce Wayne lamenting the unavailability of his Batman suit.  And Nightcrawler just looks... wrong.  He seriously needs to be told that he doesn't need eyeliner.  I mean, Goth is so not his style.

TheMarvell

meh, the 90's cartoon will always be the best one to me. Not really a fan of this new stuff that much. And that title is ridiculous, even if everyone knows it's true. I mean I like Wolverine and all, but really...

MJB

K, let's tell it how it is.

1. The studio isn't making this toon for comic fans.

2. Giving Wolverine top billing is going to bring in the kiddies. He is, by far, the most popular X-man.

3. The line up we see wasn't chosen from the comics it was inspired by the movie trilogy. Emma was probably thrown in for tweens to gawk over.

4. Tall Wolvie may make baby Professor X cry but Wolverine was one of the tallest X-men in the movie trilogy. That's how kids see him, as a 6 foot tall guy not the 5 foot shrimp comic fans love.

5. Cyclops' jacket may not look good to us but animators need to have something on the design that moves a little. His design is almost completely black and with no hair there is no movement. Adding that lame jacket gives them something to work with. I would say that it's more a animation design than anything.

I'm not a fan of Wolverine, never have been, never will be. My son on the other hand thinks he is the bee's knees. I'm sure he will tune in every chance he gets. By osmosis so will I. My son enjoys stuff then I take an interest. I may not like Wolvie and I may very well not enjoy watching the show but I bet I still tune in each time my son wants to watch it. :mjb:

-MJB

Previsionary

Quote from: MJB on September 28, 2007, 11:07:14 PM

3. The line up we see wasn't chosen from the comics it was inspired by the movie trilogy. Emma was probably thrown in for tweens to gawk over.

Only one problem with this statement...that is almost the exact lineup to astonishing minus Colossus isnt a main character. Also, I really don't think the toon is that influence by the movie since quite a few of those characters werent even mentioned in the movies (nor did they have huge roles). If anything, I'd assume it'd have it's own loose continuity that could easily take elements from several different sources. Quick question...is that shadowcat in the picture or X-23? I can't tell since the character seems to have claws like X-23...which would put it closer to X-men Evo which might be a good thing.

To add a little more news, there seem to be 26 episodes (which could easily be split into 2 seasons) and Greg Johnson, writer of x-men evo and all the marvel direct-to-video movies, is also working on the project.

Link to another pic: Clickster

Side note: MJB, you seem to be thinking that kids only know wolverine from the movie trilogy and I find that to be highly doubtful. Yes, he is uber popular...which means kids have a ton of sources to see wolvie in at his true size. Remember how many games he's in from the pass 4 years? Then add in all the fighting games and so on and so on...so yeah.

BentonGrey

If that guys is responsible for the X-Men Evolution show, I can't say that is inspiring news.

In that picture.....is that Professor X....walking?

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on September 28, 2007, 01:37:27 PM
Quote from: Previsionary on September 28, 2007, 01:13:23 PMBoo to emma...boo to cyclop's coat. :P

ditto.....ditto....and you forgot Boo to Nightcrawler's entire look.  Is that emo hair?  <_<

agreed, looks like he's been playing too much soul reaver  :thumbdown:

MJB

Quote from: Previsionary on September 28, 2007, 11:44:23 PM
Side note: MJB, you seem to be thinking that kids only know wolverine from the movie trilogy and I find that to be highly doubtful. Yes, he is uber popular...which means kids have a ton of sources to see wolvie in at his true size. Remember how many games he's in from the pass 4 years? Then add in all the fighting games and so on and so on...so yeah.

I don't think that kids only know about Wolvie from the movie trilogy. It is proven fact that he is the most well known and popular X-man.

Common, what has introduced these characters to the youth of America in the past so many years?

The movie trilogy you say? The same trilogy that grossed $1,163,063,674 in three films? And you wonder why he has top billing? In the 3 X-men films Logan gained more screen time in each sequential flick.

Last but not least how many games have actually featured Wolverine at his proper size? I would bet that not many have.

Comic geeks like myself know that Logan is 5 foot 5 but the general populace, that FAR outnumber us, think he is over 6 feet tall.

-MJB

Verfall

Quote from: MJB on September 29, 2007, 03:47:04 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on September 28, 2007, 11:44:23 PM

I don't think that kids only know about Wolvie from the movie trilogy. It is proven fact that he is the most well known and popular X-man.

Common, what has introduced these characters to the youth of America in the past so many years?

The movie trilogy you say? The same trilogy that grossed $1,163,063,674 in three films? And you wonder why he has top billing? In the 3 X-men films Logan gained more screen time in each sequential flick.

Last but not least how many games have actually featured Wolverine at his proper size? I would bet that not many have.

Comic geeks like myself know that Logan is 5 foot 5 but the general populace, that FAR outnumber us, think he is over 6 feet tall.

-MJB

Pretty sure his Ultimate incarnation is a 6-footer too. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if they had let Thunderbird live and had offed Wolvie instead.

kkhohoho

If I do watch this, I'm just going to try my best not to compare it to other X-men works.  I'll porbally enjoy it more that way.  However, I might not if Wolverine gets more then 3/4ths of screen time and the rest of the X-Men get minor roles, and are just there to attract a few more people.

Nymph

I am going to have to say this show is pretty much going to like butcher all the things we know and love about the X-Men.
The visuals might be nice, plot maybe be somewhat interesting but nothing more.

I have a question though......

WHAT is with all the Emma Frost HATE???
She isn't all that bad. It isn't like she is as evil as Lumi the Snow Queen (from Fables)

lugaru

Quote from: Nymph on September 29, 2007, 05:53:22 AM
WHAT is with all the Emma Frost HATE???
She isn't all that bad. It isn't like she is as evil as Lumi the Snow Queen (from Fables)

She goes against the grain. Female superheroes are supposed to be these fantasy fulfillment characters instead of the cheerleader that picked on comic book nerds. Personally I think she's great, but then again I never liked Jean Gray.

detourne_me

hear hear Lugaru.  Emma is pretty awesome.  im stoked about having her in the cast.  in fact i love this cast set up... and knowing that petey's in there too.  i could live without rogue,  and we need the professor (PS he's been walking about 1/3 of the time hes been in comics, so 1 out of 3 cartoons is just about right)

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 28, 2007, 11:49:16 PMIn that picture.....is that Professor X....walking?

Looks like he's got some sort of leg braces on, possibly cybernetic.  Worst of both worlds?  ;)

Previsionary

Prof is walking in the comics currently, but without the braces and I'm pretty much fine with it. Though, I really doubt he's been walking in 1/3rd of the comics he's been in. :P. Also, let's not forget that he also walked in the 90s tas for a couple of episodes so let's give him a chance. It could actually make him slightly more useful than he's usually portrayed.

Emma will be ok depending on how they portray her in the series. I...just don't like her and I never have. Not just because she's basically replaced jean and is tied into the phoenix story because of the Phoenix trilogy, but more of because I usually don't click with her personality. Hey, at least she's open about most of the things she does and at least they chose one of her tamer costumes...hrm...wonder if the "hellfire club" will show up at all?  :P

MJB, er...everyone knows Wolverine is popular. He was popular before the movie and he was after the movie. He has to be popular if he's the only xman to be in every xmen related franchise. Hello, the guy has been in over 30 games since 1989, so no one is disputing that and we didn't need a movie to see that. The only games that have probably not shown wolvie in his proper size in comparison to his team mates will probably be the movie related ones...that's 2 out of like 36 (not including ultimate spidey which used ultimate wolvie). No one is wondering why he has top billing in the least bit. He always had it...so I don't even know why you're trying to defend that point. Those movies did come out around the same time as the Legend games (and 5 different games with wolvie in them came out right alongside the first movie and most were crossover/cross platform fighters so there's different sources already), so there were already more than one source for the general public to find out more info for wolvie. Also, the movies may have introduced the characters, but you're greatly forgetting that kids have the power to go online and find out all this information for themselves if the characters truly intrigued them. Kids are craftier than most people give them credit for so let's not think that they got all their info from one movie franchise if they are really interested...unless they're too young to use the internet or too young to even see the last few X-related cartoons or only just went to the movie to have something to do/watch.   ^_^

Last but not least...

Mainstream Wolvie= 5'3"
Ultimate Wolvie = 5'9"

*poofs off*

MJB

Most children don't have internet access in this country. The movies have been the sole source for mass audiences to see the X-men in action.

I'm not defending Wolverine, hell I can't stand him most of the time. I was just trying to explain why a studio would name the series after him. We also have to consider the upcoming Wolverine movie. They are probably trying to make a buck off that tie in as well.

-MJB

MJB

I don't think this is the place for a discussion like that. :?

-MJB

GrizzlyBearTalon

Link to PDF with study info

74.9% of Americans living in households with a fixed line phone have home access to the Internet

Access by age group:

* 63.4% of people 55 years old and older
    * 81.7% of women between the ages of 35 and 54
    * 80.2% of men between the ages of 35 and 54
    * 77.0% of women between the ages of 25 and 34
    * 75.6% of men between the ages of 25 and 34
    * 75.0% of young adults between the ages of 18 and 24
    * 77.6% of kids between the ages of 2 and 17

Actually there are only about 60 million gun owners in the US currently. How having internet access correlates to gun ownership doesn't really make any sense at all seeing as if we even went so far as to assume all gun owners have internet access that would only be roughly >29% of the total internet using population in the US.

As there are around 233 million internet users of some kind in the US currently.

I guess it could be a statement showing that both have high penetration values in the US respectively with one having around 70% (internet) and the other about 49% (guns) at least with adults. If that is the case then the statement makes sense as a parallel. Though without any facts it looks like you are being merely argumentative and combative, looking rather silly. Honestly mentioning televisions or phones would have probably been a better idea unless you just wanted that stark image of guns compared to internent usage. Though that is rather sensationlist if you ask me.

Link to info

Quote from: ips on September 29, 2007, 02:35:15 PM
Quote from: MJB on September 29, 2007, 02:10:08 PM
Most children don't have internet access in this country. The movies have been the sole source for mass audiences to see the X-men in action.

-MJB

if they have access to guns they have access to the internet. i respectfully disagree.
Look at me I am making a statement with facts and not just saying something without backing it up!

Wait I wanna try! I am important too!

if they have access to jell-o pudding they have access to the internet. i respectfully disagree.

|