• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Wolverine and the X-Men

Started by detourne_me, September 28, 2007, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

MJB

:blink: :unsure: :blink:

Back on subject... what's the deal with re-designing Nightcrawlers duds? His original costume was near perfect IMO. One of the best designs out there.

-MJB

lugaru

Quote from: MJB on September 29, 2007, 09:56:05 PM
:blink: :unsure: :blink:

Back on subject... what's the deal with re-designing Nightcrawlers duds? His original costume was near perfect IMO. One of the best designs out there.

-MJB

Honestly I've seen that design before in the comics and it's not a bad one but it just makes him stand out too much and like you said, he's seen some really great costumes so no need to use a so-so one. I can only asume this will be an extra emo nightcrawler with lots of religious angst.

BentonGrey

I've always loved the religious aspect of the character (it's what made him one of my favorites), but it was the peaceful reassurance of his faith, as evidenced in his TAS episode that really appealed to me.

MJB

His religious side has always been a plus in my book. It's what makes the character interesting. I just really prefer the original Cockrum costume, that's all.

-MJB

detourne_me

why are people getting so uppity about his hair?   I admit i prefer the spiky hair,  but calling it emo hair?  Kurts an OG emo if you ask me. He's always surprised when people can stand his appearance, ever since he first met Kitty.  he's a predeccesor of current goth and emo trends in fiction.

I have a feeling that they designed him with long hair in order to five him a darkened brooding look.   it will give some shadow to his face,  and in a bright cartoon,  shadows need to come from somewhere,  so it makes sense in his case.

MJB

Agreed. Get off the "emo" bandwagon.

:bandwagon

-MJB

UnfluffyBunny

if nightcrawler's gonna have long hair it should have curls, like he used to have, not be dead straight, the straightness makes it bad, and the dark rimmed eyes >_>

lugaru

Actually I love his religious side too and it is a big appeal twards the character. What I mean is that he's going to be extra angsty and religion was always a big part of it, together with the fact that he's a mutant that cannot hide his mutation without high tech gadgetry.

Panther_Gunn

Ya know, I must have missed out on the whole "finding Jesus" part of Kurt when I dropped out of comics.  And to be honest, I think I prefer it that way.  I *much* prefer him in his fun-loving, swashbuckling personality than being too serious & inrospective.  And I prefer Cyclops to *not* have to use a finger trigger for his visor, instead using the mentally activated one that was developed by him, Prof X, & Jean.  And I prefer Wolvie short.  :P

zuludelta

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on September 30, 2007, 07:37:39 PMAnd I prefer Cyclops to *not* have to use a finger trigger for his visor, instead using the mentally activated one that was developed by him, Prof X, & Jean.

I must have missed the issue where he got a mentally activated visor. I always assumed that he was still using the remote triggers found in the palms of his gloves, sort of like the one that Spider-Man uses for his webshooters (except these remotely triggered his visors).

Kommando

Well considering I don't bother reading the comics anymore unless I find a comic with a self contained story, then I am inclined to give this a shot.  Besides, how about overlooking Wolverine's height for a moment and uh, I dunno, have him voiced by a Canadian for once?  I realize its a stretch to (pardon the height pun) to expect his nationality to be defined by anything more than random stereotypes here and there.   It will be interesting to see if there is any characterization, rather than walking power sets.  Emma could be interesting if done right.

herodad1

i'd like to see a cartoon based on the original team.back when they all had matching outfits and the beast wasnt covered in fur.i'm a marvel fan.always was and will be but marvel always seems to choke when it comes to animation.some of their stuff's been ok but none comes close to dc's justice league series.it seems like they always throw something in that kills it.example:the newest FF cartoon...why does the thing have a 4 painted on his chest?the one good thing about this new x-men series...the beast.one of my favorite characters.

MJB

Quote from: ips on October 01, 2007, 10:06:03 AM
the visual style of the animation will hinder them because of the detailed character designs. it will slow them down trying to produce the animation quickly. that's one of the reasons jlu etc have been successes. with the simpler animation style it is much easier to complete an episode.

I don't see how one could call those designs "detailed". It's a promo pic so it could have some more shading than the cartoon itself will have.

-MJB

Podmark

Yeah it's definitely a evo-ish style, and I like the use of more current costumes. But Beast looks like a bit of a mess, but on the other hand thumbs up if Charles is walking in this series, I always prefer that to the chair.

BentonGrey

I gotta' say, it weirds me out to see Charlie walking, all of my experiences with the X-Men have him in the chair.  It doesn't bother me, per se, but I do thin it is weird. 

The actual ART of Evo didn't really bother me (I like the TAS style better, but I can live with it), but I really didn't care much for the whole 'high school' nature of the series.  Then again, it wasn't really aimed at me, I suppose.  I don't think it would have really bothered me if they had done it with the original X-Men...it would have made sense to me, since they were that age when they started out.

gengoro

Hope Wolvie actually cuts someone thats not a robot.  Just a little scratch is all I ask.

Bujin

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on September 29, 2007, 11:32:39 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on September 28, 2007, 11:49:16 PMIn that picture.....is that Professor X....walking?

Looks like he's got some sort of leg braces on, possibly cybernetic.  Worst of both worlds?  ;)

According to the wiki, Forge is a confirmed character, so I guess it makes sense that he would make a mechanism for the Professor to walk.

lugaru

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 01, 2007, 02:32:42 PM
I gotta' say, it weirds me out to see Charlie walking, all of my experiences with the X-Men have him in the chair.  It doesn't bother me, per se, but I do thin it is weird. 

Charlie has walked a few times in the past. That's why it sucks to be him. Some big event restores his ability to walk and a few weeks latter he gets clipped by a bike messenger and is paralyzed again. Dude has the worse luck, he's lost his ability to walk like 5 times.    :P

Silver Shocker

Quote from: GrizzlyBearTalon on September 28, 2007, 10:14:08 PM
Tall Wolverine makes baby professor X cry! Please oh please just have Colossus as a main character and an ACTUAL X-man this time!

Still I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it, that title... is so stupid... it is incredibly truthful but still...

I don't see Star Wars Episodes 1 - 3 being renamed, Anakin the Whiny Wuss of the Dark Side and his Star Wars Friends Episode 1 - 3! Let us rename Star Trek as Capt. Kirk & Friends! OH what about Picard & Pals!

Think more close to home:

-Spider-Man
-The Incredible Hulk
-Superman
-[The] Batman
-Wonder Woman
and most importantly

-"Spider-Man and the Amazing Friends"

Most superheroe comics are named after either the hero or the team.

QuoteShe goes against the grain. Female superheroes are supposed to be these fantasy fulfillment characters instead of the cheerleader that picked on comic book nerds. Personally I think she's great, but then again I never liked Jean Gray.

If that's a reason it's only half the reason. A lot of people also hate Emma because she is both a rhymes-with-witch, but also because she doesn't follow the X-Men's code of ethics. Personally I think both the fact that Cyclops stays with her and that she's allowed to continue to be an X-Men is insulting. During Claremont's classic run of Uncanny Angel left the team in anger because of Wolverine being allowed to stay on the team, I loved that little touch.
But Emma is worse than Wolverine.

Previsionary

For those who care to see, a trailer is out (Thanks UE):

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/77/26277.php

Someone has it out for old chuck. The guy *dies* left and right. Maybe he's linked to the phoenix forces too.  :rolleyes: But based on the trailer, looks nice and it makes some references to the comics. I'm unsure on some of the art though (rogue), but it might grow on me.

crimsonquill

Wow... I'm actually impressed by the trailer. Definitly have some shades of the movies and Evolution mixed in with the old Fox Cartoon as well. Might actually have a chance put along side Spectacular Spider-Man and Fantastic Four for a Marvel Animation block on Saturday Morning or even a prime time slot on Cartoon Network.

I'm even amused that Kitty has a bit of Shadowcat/Sprite mixed together and that Iceman/Pyro have the teen prankster/angst roles rolls filled in. Plus with Xavier missing and Wolverine forming the new team then it makes more sense to call it "Wolverine And The X-Men" then just him highlighted over the team for marketing value. I did like having the Astonishing X-Men moment between Cyclops and Wolverine but something tells me that Jean and Xavier were probably saved by the Phoenix Force.

- CrimsonQuill

Podmark

That looked really good. But didn't see see pics with a walking Xavier?

zuludelta

Wow, colour me impressed. The animation itself seems like your standard, slightly higher-quality Saturday morning stuff (on the level of say, the current Batman show, but nowhere near as fluid as Avatar: The Last Airbender or even Teen Titans). But it looks like they nailed the soap opera-meets-teen drama-meets superheroes appeal of the X-Men.

BentonGrey

Well, this could be decent, it may even be good.  There's no way it will be as good as the original, but it looks interesting.  I hate some of the character designs (Mystique) but most of them are pretty good.  I REALLY like the Angel being involved, and if he is actually on the team, I'd be able to overlook a great deal.

Ohh....and what the heck is up with Rogue's see-through hair?  That's a bad design choice.  Also, did it bother anyone else that Quicksilver, the hero, the man who was a morally conflicted member of the Brotherhood ONLY to pay the debt he felt he and his sister owed to Magneto, seems to be running the game with an evil enthusiasm? 

Previsionary

If it's a mixture of several sources plus some new stuff, then the quicksilver thing might not be a big deal. Depends on how they play it out as quicksilver for most of xmen evo didn't have a problem being on the evil side. Also, current quicksilver isn't really a 'hero' anymore. I don't know how to classify him at this moment except as lost.

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 04, 2008, 06:55:33 PM
Also, did it bother anyone else that Quicksilver, the hero, the man who was a morally conflicted member of the Brotherhood ONLY to pay the debt he felt he and his sister owed to Magneto, seems to be running the game with an evil enthusiasm? 

Not really, I'm used to evil/crazy Quicksilver these days. Plus this isn't the comics. It's a new universe and an opportunity to try some new things. Honestly seeing him seemingly in charge was one of the coolest things about the trailer to me. That and Angel (yay Angel!)

vamp

I was worried at first, but the trailer looks pretty nice. The name sucks, but it doesn't seem half bad. My favorite part was cyclops blasting wolvie. On a art note, Logan looks a bit weird were his side burns or whatever you want to call them jut out.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Previsionary on February 04, 2008, 07:05:53 PM
If it's a mixture of several sources plus some new stuff, then the quicksilver thing might not be a big deal. Depends on how they play it out as quicksilver for most of xmen evo didn't have a problem being on the evil side. Also, current quicksilver isn't really a 'hero' anymore. I don't know how to classify him at this moment except as lost.

Ohh........it makes me very sad inside to hear this.

billdamn22

Seeing as they show Colossus for a split second, I will check it out. I also liked the brooding Cyclops. I like the idea of Quicksilver running things. Of course it will only be a matter of time until daddy shows up.

Glitch Girl

Interesting hearing some familiar voices from Evo in there.  Animation looks pretty solid, and except for Rogue, the designs look good.  (I was surprised not to see Nightcrawler in there even though he's pictured on the promo art)  Title does make more sense in context.  Color me curious.

|