• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Wolverine and the X-Men

Started by detourne_me, September 28, 2007, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

BWPS

Quote from: Previsionary on September 28, 2007, 11:44:23 PM

Link to another pic: Clickster

This picture makes me furious! Wolverine is not supposed to be 15 feet tall! Why would Professor X create a device that would help him walk using all the ridiculously amazing technology? And worst of all, many of the characters have hair that is styled differently than the one single hairstyle every X-men had in every comic book they've ever been in!

BentonGrey

You know, I haven't seen anyone in this thread react that way, so I fail to see what your point is.

style

I kinda like it. Except for the addition of other classic X-men villains (Blob, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Avalanche) they're taking a lot from the X-men movies and running with them.:cool:

crimsonquill

It seems that the pre-release hype for the X-Men cartoon has hit a slight snag when the "teaser trailer" hit the internet...

Snipped from Newsarama.com:
QuoteRolling Stone reports that the Foo Fighters are suing Marvel Entertainment, First Serve International, Toonz Animation India and First Serve Toonz for copyright infringement:

The band alleges that Marvel used “substantial excerpts” of their songs “Best of You” and “Free Me” as the music for the trailer of the new animated series Wolverine and the X-Men. You can watch the trailer here, and it’s pretty obvious that the Foos are used to soundtrack the cartoon’s preview.

The trailer hit the ‘net back at the beginning of February and has since been pulled from YouTube.

E! Online has a few more details:

Per the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, “substantial excerpts” of the tunes “Best of You” and “Free Me,” both off the 2005 album In Your Honor, were used in a teaser for the upcoming animated series Wolverine and the X-Men.

The song samples “were copied directly from the Foo Fighters’ sound recordings of those two songs” and people can watch the trailer online, the suit alleges.

The suit was also filed on behalf of Roswell Records Inc., owners of the master recordings.

Sure the teaser was probably more of an in-house promotional clip to reveal what the show was about in a typical "Big Hollywood" trailer style.. but this apparently has run them into a snag with the music industry because of using music without permission from the record company or the group itself.  :blink:

- CrimsonQuill

detourne_me

yeah, thanks for keeping it real dave... he'll just take the money and go away hopefully.

BWPS

Quote from: detourne_me on February 22, 2008, 04:32:01 AM
yeah, thanks for keeping it real dave... he'll just take the money and go away hopefully.

If you were arguably the greatest musician of all time and worked very hard, would you let people use your music without any permission?

GogglesPizanno

Quoteyeah, thanks for keeping it real dave... he'll just take the money and go away hopefully.

Don't be dissin on Dave.
Dave is awsome.

And from a legal standpoint (talking to people I know who have been in similar type of situations) You have to go after all copyright violations or else it sets a legal precedent that can come back and hurt you later as people can claim ____ used your copyrighted work in the past without permission, and you did nothing to stop them, so why cant we? This doesn't mean that there aren't people out there that are greedy and sue happy, but a lot of these lawsuits are simply legal exercises to protect the copyright from future abuses.

*EDIT: And you have to believe me now, cause I just hit Hero Status with that post...  :D

BentonGrey

I don't know, what is the exact status of that trailer?  It wasn't meant for public release, right?  If that's so, then I don't see it as that big of a deal.

detourne_me

Thanks Benton.  I thought it was just for marvel to pass around to corporate execs too, not for public release.
and believe me,  I LOVE Dave Grohl, seen Foo Fighters a few times, I own a lot of his other stuff like Eagles of Death Metal and PROBOT too.
....damn IP laws

C4

Marvel has removed the video both from the link by Prev & on Youtube.

Well luckily I saw it on Youtube before & eventough I dislike Wolvie being the star I am very happy to see a new X cartoon. I am on the fence with Rogue though. (Well her being my favourite and all I am a bit picky as you can imagine)

I did like Jean (the two seconds she was there) I hope I hope I hope to see a lot of Colossus and others and not just Wolvie all the time.   

Podmark

You know when I first saw the trailer I thought it looked different from most trailers. Plus I would have thought it would have debuted on Marvel's site. So I'm not surprised if this was a leaked clip.

herodad1

i'm a beast/colossus fan so as long as theyre in it i'm happy.

Shaboba

Cyclops needs to lose the coat. Like, now.

Storm with headpiece thing = love.

Previsionary

minor update: it seems this and the new iron man cartoon will be on nick and not WB. That's kinda odd to me since, though Nick's changed a lot, they've never been big on hero shows...specially ones with complex stories and constant violence against humanoids/robots (excluding Avatar and that phantom show)...then again, it's on a network most kids probably don't have unless they have satellite or some such. Anyway, There you go...you can catch the most legendary X-man and the robot guy Tony on Nicktoons in 2009...yay?

Source

vamp

Well, I will be watching X-men, but I will probably be avoiding the Iron man cartoon. Iron man was one of the first hero cartoons I ever say, and the pic in the source just sent it all to satan. But, I must say this is an odd move to put it on nick. It may have to do with the success of The Avatar, but they have to remember that avatar is more mythological, and he is a child, so they have more room to work with. Regardless though, I plan to give Wolvie and the X-men a shot at impressing me.

crimsonquill

Okay, folks... we have been waiting for the official release of the "Wolverine And The X-Men" trailer for some time now.. especially after the leaked version caused such a ruckus with the music copyright mess and all.

So... pull up a chair and pop some popcorn...  :popcorn2

Here we go... *plus get a pen & paper to count the cameo appearances*

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543564/bctid1539906042

[spoiler]And just to be nice.. I'll show you my list: Polaris, Scarlet Witch, Gambit, Maverick, Dust, Cannonball, Shadow King, Sentinels, Wolfsbane, Magneto, Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Storm, Cyclops, Spiral, Mojo, the Beast, Angel, Iceman, the Brotherhood (Avalanche, Quicksilver, Blob), Mystique, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Juggernaut, Domino, Random, The Reavers, Multiple Man, Pyro, Boom Boom (aka Meltdown), Senator Kelly, Vertigo, and even The Hulk as far I can tell thus far..[/spoiler]

Looks like it might really be a fun run after all..  :thumbup: .. and a worthy follow up to X-Men: Evolution...

- CrimsonQuill

BWPS

I haven't read this whole thread, but this IS a continuation of Evolution??
The trailer leads me to think this is just a fairly decent X-Men toon. Which is awesome, that's like a fairly decent coffee ice cream, it's still amazing!

crimsonquill

Quote from: BWPS on May 06, 2008, 03:18:02 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but this IS a continuation of Evolution??
The trailer leads me to think this is just a fairly decent X-Men toon. Which is awesome, that's like a fairly decent coffee ice cream, it's still amazing!

No, it's a whole new show... but the opening scene to the trailer gives you the feeling of Evolution just a few years later when most of the students have now grown up...

Maybe X-Men Evolution is more familar to the audience that will watch this series thus they used similar designs and anime feel... but a lot elements from X-Men's 90s incarnation are present as well. My guess is they are taking the best of both series and making this show a fresh start.

- CrimsonQuill

thanoson

Doooooooooommmmmmm!!!!!! Designs are bad, voices are bad, concept is bad!!!! 

What? Someone was going to say it! Sheesh!!!

thalaw2

I think it's ok.  I'm more than willing to give it a try....this is actually the route I always thought the X-Men would take if Prof-X wasn't around...Wolverine seemed like the most logical leader given all his training in military tactics and so on...and he's like really old so he should be wise...

some things aren't consistent in the cartoon, but it's a cartoon.  I don't expect this to be as good as SpSM, but should be fun.

doctorchallenger

I'm intrigued. And I think it at least plays off of evolution continuity.

BentonGrey

If it is associated with Evolution, even in the slightest possible way, I consider that a huge strike against it.  That being said, the show DOES look interesting, so I will reserve judgment until I know more.

Podmark

This show is looking awesome so far to me. I especially like the additions of Emma and Dust. Nice to add in some of the modern mythos.

Talavar

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with X-Men Evolution except for slightly similar character designs.

Previsionary

nice trailer and im glad they're not pushing emma and cyclops together right away. I still have a problem with cyke's coat and rogue's see-through hair. :P

Why would it be a strike if it's even associated with x-men evo? If they're taking elements from every x-men franchise, then evo should be fine as well especially considering it had some great stories, nice animation, and gave us female wolverine clone: X-23. :D

But be rest assured it's a new continuity. Wolverine didn't seem to know mystique and cyclops didn't seem to know emma. They all met in the 90s and they know mystique well in evo. Senator Kelly was just a principal and later running for mayor in evo...so yeah.

note: it has a similar style to x-men evo because some members of its creative team are also working on this show.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Previsionary on May 06, 2008, 09:23:32 PM
note: it has a similar style to x-men evo because some members of its creative team are also working on this show.

Yup! It has been rumored that X-23 would reappear along with some new students (I even noticed Squidboy in a Genosha scene) that might be familar with fans of the New Mutants/Academy X comics. But that is just from an animation grapevine...

- CrimsonQuill

MJB

Quote from: Previsionary on May 06, 2008, 09:23:32 PM
Why would it be a strike if it's even associated with x-men evo?

It would be a huge mistake for any new cartoon to continue after a series that ended 5 years ago.

The target demographic is probably 7 year olds to pre-teens. 7 year olds won't know anything about X-men Evo and I doubt that most pre-teens remember either. As fondly as people may think of a cartoon when they get past their pre-teen years, to be blunt, they are no longer the target audience in most cases.

-MJB

Previsionary

...i didnt even suggest that. I said why would it be a strike to even have associations with a past show if it's taking stuff from other continuity that is, to be blunt, way pass the demographic they're going for (something x-men evo also did when they were bringing in references to comic continuity that took place in early x-men history). If anything, it'd create a nostalgia factor for the people that watched that show.

Podmark

Previsionary

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/080728-WolvXMentoon.html

Review of the new toon...and I hear reports that it's playing in some parts of the world as I've seen a review for episode 4...so, has anyone seen it on their tubes? I know it was suppose to air in the UK first, but apparently it has not. But I do hear it'll air in Canada next month, so...*shrugs*

EDIT:

It's also been said that Hulk vs Wolverine is a prequel to the show and it looks like it'll be brought up in the actual show pretty early on. Yay for continuity.

|