• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Street Fighter IV

Started by gengoro, October 17, 2007, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

The game does have pretty good graphics, but I'm waiting to see what the meat of the game-the actual gameplay- entails.

gengoro

Like the graphics too.  Seems like it will play sorta similar to the street fighter ex series which was also 2.5D.  Also wish theyd add depth too but it doesnt seem to likely, especially if the purists are concerned. 

kkhohoho

Quote from: gengoro on December 07, 2007, 02:10:35 PM
Like the graphics too.  Seems like it will play sorta similar to the street fighter ex series which was also 2.5D.  Also wish theyd add depth too but it doesnt seem to likely, especially if the purists are concerned. 

SFIII added parrying, and most were happy about that.

Previsionary

Dunno if anyone has seen this, but it looks pretty cool.

Note: It's not gameplay video, but a trailer. If you don't wanna play with flash, youtube it

And while, I'm here...anyone else think that capcom is planning on reviving the series with a new art style/direction? I mean, new game, new movie that focuses on chunli instead of ryu, guile is having cameo roles in games rather than ryu/ken/akuma. Could it be a new age of street fighter? *shrugs*  ;)

murs47

Awesome trailer! Even though I expected a cool hadoken at the end it still gave me chills.

zuludelta

First gameplay footage!

http://kotaku.com/338643/first-footage-of-street-fighter-iv

I like what I hear int he interview, the revenge meter sounds like a good idea and rewards players for being defensive but the interaction of the revenge meter with the "special" meter means it will cut down on turtling.

Pyroclasm

and if you just want to see the footage without interruption, go here: http://kotaku.com/tag/street-fighter-iv/

MJB

That trailer makes me sad that I don't own a next gen system.

-MJB

lugaru

I love the facial expressions... it's a totally 'team fortress' aproach to street fighter. Makes sense, some games are all about the play experience and dont need to be ultra realistic, just ultra fun.

gengoro

Liked the vid.  Especially the facial expressions during hits.  Even though Im excited, I hope this aint just another damn sf2 remake.  Really want some new moves, characters and stages.

kkhohoho

Quote from: gengoro on December 31, 2007, 12:13:20 PM
Liked the vid.  Especially the facial expressions during hits.  Even though Im excited, I hope this aint just another damn sf2 remake.  Really want some new moves, characters and stages.

Even so,  I hope that characters other then Ryu, Ken, Akuma, or Chun Li return.  The first 2 are a given, and it's likely that the other 2 will make it in.  Here's some other characters I'd like to see in no particular order:

1.It's unlikly Eagle would show up, but I'd like to see him anyway. (With his CVS2 outfit, not his SF1 outfit)
2.Sagat
3.Honda
4.Zangief
5.Dhalism
6.Guile
7.Alex
8.Yun
9.Yang
10.Necro
11.Ibuki

I'd also like to see Ryu, Ken, and Akuma if he's in the game get noticeable upgrades.  By SFIII: Third Strike, Ryu only had 4 moves.  He still had his Red Fireball, since it was changed to EX Hadouken, but the only other addition was that attack where he kicks the opponent back. That, and the Denjin Hadouken Superart, were pretty much it for him.  Ken had his 4th special from the final SFII update removed, leaving him with 3 specials, but his command moves(moves like F+K or DB+P) somewhat made up for it.  Gouki had a new special that had followups, which was probably more updates then what Ryu or Ken got.  I'd like to see Ryu, Ken, and Akuma have at least 6 specials each, along with command moves, and the new specials would be unique to each character.  I'd pretty much like to see most characters have at least 6 specials each, with as few clones as possible.  For chars like Guile, if there are any, 4 specials at least.  I'd also like to see very few freaks, with only one or two showing up to broaden the character variety. Some people nicknamed SFIII: Third Strike "Freak Battle 99'." <_<

zuludelta

More new pics over at the Famitsu site:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1213478_1124.html

Me, I'm just glad that they kept the "ample" proportions of Chun-Li's thighs  :thumbup:

Previsionary

oh, zulu...what will we do with you?  ^_^

Those pics look pretty good and it looks like most of the original fighters are returning (hopefully all since I just learned that tekken 6 has 40-42 characters and goes across the full series). I do hope the graphics are tightened up a bit since I'm not a huge fan of the bright look and dhalsim's face kinda scares me a bit in some scenes.

Outcast

It's really hard to adjust to the graphics. It looks hand drawn,rough and dark. Maybe i just gotten to used to the 3d style graphics done in the Tekken series. I still think the graphics in Tekken looks much better. So i'm not sure if this new Street Fighter game would be a big hit.  :unsure: Just my opinion.

bat1987

Yay! Guile is back!

Who`s the girl with sunglasses?

TheMarvell

Quote from: Outcast on February 09, 2008, 01:42:21 AM
It's really hard to adjust to the graphics. It looks hand drawn,rough and dark. Maybe i just gotten to used to the 3d style graphics done in the Tekken series. I still think the graphics in Tekken looks much better. So i'm not sure if this new Street Fighter game would be a big hit.  :unsure: Just my opinion.

Yeah, I'm a bit torn on the art style too. I would have preferred something more realistic.

Pyroclasm

Quote from: TheMarvell on February 09, 2008, 01:23:03 PMI would have preferred something more realistic.
I'm actually on the opposite side.  I'm really glad they steered clear of trying to be the latest ultra-realistic rendered fighter.  Street-Fighter II pioneered the animated/cartoon fighter.  It's only proper they continue their evolution in that direction instead of trying to play catch-up with the rendered fighters.

GhostMachine

I'll have to actually see the game before I make any real judgements.

However.....

Tekken series > Street Fighter series

gengoro

Quote from: GhostMachine on February 10, 2008, 11:34:23 PM

However.....

No no no.  Its Virtua Fighter Series >= Street Fighter > Tekken >= Soul Cal >= DOA >>>> Mk.  Kof is in there somewhere.  Its a scientific fact. 

Sort of. :unsure: 

Okay, I dont know what Im talking about.

zuludelta

Quote from: bat1987 on February 09, 2008, 03:15:32 AM
Yay! Guile is back!

Who`s the girl with sunglasses?

New character, apparently named "Crimson Viper" or something to that effect. She's being touted as having a fighting style that's totally new to the franchise. 

GhostMachine

Quote from: gengoro on February 11, 2008, 01:47:31 PM

However.....

No no no.  Its Virtua Fighter Series >= Street Fighter > Tekken >= Soul Cal >= DOA >>>> Mk.  Kof is in there somewhere.  Its a scientific fact. 

Nope. Its Tekken > KoF > Virtua Fighter > Street Fighter > Soul Calibur (except III) > DoA > Soul Calibur III > MK

Soul Calibur III I count separately because a couple new characters are mega-cheap and the game only has one level of difficulty.

Mortal Kombat is mega-cheap and without the fatalities would be just another generic fighting game. However, I think Jinpachi from Tekken 5 and Abyss from Soul Calibur III are easily the cheapest bosses out of any fighting games I've ever played.

Previsionary

I agree about jinpachi except he's pretty easy once you learn his attack pattern and you can sidestep most of his attacks. Heck, Cyber/Shin akuma and god rugal (and a few SNK bosses in general) gave me a tougher time in the versus game, CVS2 in particular, than Jinpachi has on my worse day.

gengoro

Quote from: GhostMachine on February 11, 2008, 09:01:16 PM
Quote from: gengoro on February 11, 2008, 01:47:31 PM

However.....

Nope. Its Tekken > KoF > Virtua Fighter > Street Fighter > Soul Calibur (except III) > DoA > Soul Calibur III > MK

Soul Calibur III I count separately because a couple new characters are mega-cheap and the game only has one level of difficulty.

Mortal Kombat is mega-cheap and without the fatalities would be just another generic fighting game. However, I think Jinpachi from Tekken 5 and Abyss from Soul Calibur III are easily the cheapest bosses out of any fighting games I've ever played.

I think I was cursing up a storm at namco when I got Tekken 5.  Those damn unblockables of his were annoying.  But like Previsionary said snk bosses(or snk boss syndrome) are tough if not the toughest.  Id say Magaki from king of fighters 11 is probably the cheapest boss ever.  He literally has projectiles attacking you from ALL sides.  And when you do manage to get near him, he'll counter attack you, go intangible, or teleport.  I mean,there were entire matches where I spent the entire time crouching in a corner dying from chip damage.  I know they want to make a challenging end boss but Damn!

*breaks down into tears*

Zippo

Quote from: GhostMachine on February 11, 2008, 09:01:16 PM
Mortal Kombat is mega-cheap and without the fatalities would be just another generic fighting game.

Hey, any game where I can tear out my enemy's heart or brain 3 times before removing their torso from their legs is fine by me.

Also, I'm reeeeaaally digging the graphics for this new Street Fighter. Better graphics aren't always about getting more realistic (and really shouldn't be in a game with weird green electric guys like Blanka and people who can shoot Ki jimmies at one another). They really capture the hand-drawn look of the previous ones, which I'm totally for. 

Mowgli

LOL! All this... Tekken>Street Fighter, etc.

None of those other games would not exist if not for Street Fighter.

Of the 3D fighters (made possible by SF success), I do agree that Virtua Fighter>Tekken. Tekken allows for a lot of button mashing, and beating up people as the get up and knocking them back down. Eh.

Is there any kind of release date rumored yet?

Pyroclasm

Quote from: Mowgli on February 15, 2008, 03:24:05 PM
Is there any kind of release date rumored yet?
According to the 1up.com link gengoro posted, it's 6/15/2008.

zuludelta

Quote from: Mowgli on February 15, 2008, 03:24:05 PM
Of the 3D fighters (made possible by SF success), I do agree that Virtua Fighter>Tekken. Tekken allows for a lot of button mashing, and beating up people as the get up and knocking them back down. Eh.

I'd probably rate Tekken higher than Virtua Fighter in terms of "pick-up-and-playability" and presentation (I'm thinking of Tekken 3 and VF4 in this context, they, in my mind, represent the best of what each series has to offer). Of course, Tekken's greatest strength is its greatest weakness in a competitive environment: the more forgiving "just-frames" and intuitiveness of the controls means that novices can and do beat experts a lot of the time, so for the hardcore fighting game enthusiast, mastery has a less satisfying pay-off. Virtua Fighter, on the other hand, becomes exponentially more rewarding the more time a player devotes to learning the intricacies of the fighting system, but for many casual players, that requires a larger time and effort investment than they're willing to accord a fighting game.   

GhostMachine

They hold Tekken World Championships every year using the most recent game (I don't know if they did one using Tag or not, though) and I'm not up on all the past champions but one year the Champion won using Paul Phoenix, and apparently didn't Deathfist at all, which is the main reason to use Paul in the first place - yeah, its the cheapest move in the game other than a few of the Laws' moves and Heihachi's uppercut (SF RIPOFF MOVE!!!), but most of the other fighters are a lot more versatile than Paul. I can't imagine a player who is good at using King, Lee, Nina or Bryan, for instance, losing to a Paul player no matter how good they are. With the exception of Bryan, those characters could combo Paul to death.

Previsionary

IIRC, tekken tag is held in high regards because of its cast list and it's seen as the most balanced (again, iirc). People still play and rave about that game today. Anyway, if Jinpachi was uber annoying (personally, I was more annoyed with Ogre in the mini game than him), then I think the tekken 6 boss might out uber him from the descriptions I read. Also, Tekken 6 is really pretty.

Threadjack over after this link:

Asuka vs. King

As for street fighter, I wonder how many moves carried over as I thought most of the alpha attacks were awesome. Chronologically, the alpha story takes place first so it'd make sense if those moves carried over into SF4. The same thing should apply to Ryu, Ken, and Chunli regarding SF3 though Chun li's new fighting stance in that game really threw me off. All I can say is, thank the heavens they finally updated everyone's sprite/image because the old sprites were really showing their age.

|