• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Does Wolverine have lightsabers in his forearms?

Started by captmorgan72, October 25, 2008, 10:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

if you cut wolverine right down the middle, would the 2 halves regrow, and you then have 2 wolverines?  would that explain all his guest appearances over the years?

Bujin

Quote from: thanoson on November 05, 2008, 10:19:56 PM
So, nobody that hangs with Logan should ever starve. He can just cut off some flesh off the arm, add some seasons and cook it up on the stove. I wonder what he taste like?

Furry, I'd imagine.

thalaw2

Remember folks...this is a family friendly forum...suggesting cannibalism to help the starving might be crossing the line.... :D :D

Zippo

Hmmm, if people are going to get technical when it comes to Wolverine, one really has to ask how he gets around the law of conservation of mass.

Talavar

Quote from: Zippo on November 06, 2008, 08:26:02 PM
Hmmm, if people are going to get technical when it comes to Wolverine, one really has to ask how he gets around the law of conservation of mass.

Yeah, but that's hardly a unique concern to Wolverine - the Hulk, all giant-growing heros and all shape-shifting heros don't really worry about it either.

herodad1

i'd just like to have ALL supermans abilities explained.he throws scientific explanations right out the windom.this would be another good thread.

Zippo

I recommend you read "The Physics of Superheroes". It does a good job of explaining how, if at all, the powers of various superheroes would have to function to possibly work.

qazwsx

They'd simply have to eat a lot. Like I mentioned earlier. Though wolverine doesn't seem to do this, I think remember the Ang Lee Hulk movie having a go at something like this. And when the Hulk turned back into Banner, there'd be a massive pudle of (green)protein forming around him :P Feeding wolverine to people is stupid though, since indigestion is incomplete, and not fully efficient either. For every person fed, he'd probably have to eat two of them back, with his metabolism :mellow:

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI recommend you read "The Physics of Superheroes". It does a good job of explaining how, if at all, the powers of various superheroes would have to function to possibly work.

Yes, a good book.  I found it at my library and quite enjoyed it.

i'd just like to have ALL supermans abilities explained.he throws scientific explanations right out the windom.this would be another good thread.

His original set of abilities, however, do work scientifically.  It's only when they started adding new ones on just to make him more awesome that it stopped making sense and they had to change the source of his powers.

(For those who don't know, he originally just came from a high gravity planet and just had normal human physical abilities that were just a bit stronger.)

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 16, 2008, 12:05:50 AM
QuoteI recommend you read "The Physics of Superheroes". It does a good job of explaining how, if at all, the powers of various superheroes would have to function to possibly work.

His original set of abilities, however, do work scientifically.  It's only when they started adding new ones on just to make him more awesome that it stopped making sense and they had to change the source of his powers.

(For those who don't know, he originally just came from a high gravity planet and just had normal human physical abilities that were just a bit stronger.)

Except that doesn't work either.  If a human grew up on Mars after spending a brief part of their childhood on Earth, they wouldn't be any stronger there - the body adapts to low-gravity, and pretty fast.  Also, the amount of gravity required to allow Superman to do the feats even early-Superman could do would require a planet of prohibitively high mass to exist.  Bringing real science to superheroes is generally an exercise in futility.

Alaric

Quote from: Talavar on November 16, 2008, 11:33:43 AM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 16, 2008, 12:05:50 AM

Except that doesn't work either.  If a human grew up on Mars after spending a brief part of their childhood on Earth, they wouldn't be any stronger there - the body adapts to low-gravity, and pretty fast.  Also, the amount of gravity required to allow Superman to do the feats even early-Superman could do would require a planet of prohibitively high mass to exist.  Bringing real science to superheroes is generally an exercise in futility.

Actually, ini the early Superman stories (as shown especially in the comic strip, published simultaneously to the comic book, which went into much more detail about Superman's origin), Kryptonians had super powers on Krypton, as well as on Earth. It had nothing to do with the gravity of their home planet; Kryptonians simply were much stronger, faster, etc. than Terrans.

Talavar

Quote from: Alaric on November 16, 2008, 01:22:59 PM
Actually, ini the early Superman stories (as shown especially in the comic strip, published simultaneously to the comic book, which went into much more detail about Superman's origin), Kryptonians had super powers on Krypton, as well as on Earth. It had nothing to do with the gravity of their home planet; Kryptonians simply were much stronger, faster, etc. than Terrans.

True; I'd forgotten about that.  Superman's powers (and those all the early Kryptonians had) wasn't due to any difference between Earth & Krypton, but because Kryptonians were more "advanced" than humans both technologically and biologically - ie. products of superior evolution, which is also garbage science.  That's why one of Superman's tag lines is "Man of Tomorrow" after all, suggesting, as it does, that humans could be like him at some point in the future.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteActually, ini the early Superman stories (as shown especially in the comic strip, published simultaneously to the comic book, which went into much more detail about Superman's origin), Kryptonians had super powers on Krypton, as well as on Earth. It had nothing to do with the gravity of their home planet; Kryptonians simply were much stronger, faster, etc. than Terrans.

You're not going back far enough.  That was explanation #2.  The original one was that they evolved on a high gravity planet, and thus had to be faster and stronger just to survive.  They were, I suppose, strong even on Krypton, but the original reasoning was that they had to be because of Krypton's gravity.

But they WOULD be stronger than a natively evolved Martian creature.

Alaric

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 16, 2008, 02:58:28 PM
QuoteActually, ini the early Superman stories (as shown especially in the comic strip, published simultaneously to the comic book, which went into much more detail about Superman's origin), Kryptonians had super powers on Krypton, as well as on Earth. It had nothing to do with the gravity of their home planet; Kryptonians simply were much stronger, faster, etc. than Terrans.

You're not going back far enough.  That was explanation #2.  The original one was that they evolved on a high gravity planet, and thus had to be faster and stronger just to survive.  They were, I suppose, strong even on Krypton, but the original reasoning was that they had to be because of Krypton's gravity.

Um, no. This is from Superman's first appearance, in Action Comics #1; no mention of high gravity at all. He has super powers because he comes from a superhuman race.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 16, 2008, 02:58:28 PM

But they WOULD be stronger than a natively evolved Martian creature.

There's no reason to suppose that.  It might seem logical, but it's pure speculation.  In the absence of stronger gravity, a human being will have a weaker skeleton, which greatly limits the muscle load that can be placed on it.  Supposing a near-identically evolved Martian humanoid, after a relatively short time in the low gravity an Earth human would be no better off physically.

BWPS

guyz goko ssj1 traind on a planet with superhi gravtity and he got super strong strong enuff to taek freeza down and thats hella stron i bet he cud taek supes if he needed to there should be a dbz/dc show man thatd be tite well im out peace

Talavar

Quote from: BWPS on November 28, 2008, 04:46:36 PM
guyz goko ssj1 traind on a planet with superhi gravtity and he got super strong strong enuff to taek freeza down and thats hella stron i bet he cud taek supes if he needed to there should be a dbz/dc show man thatd be tite well im out peace

What?

Rubberbandman

I'm not Candadian, but I will defend their beer.

Off topic remark, anybody remember the movie Canadian Bacon?

To stay on topic, I love bashing the unreality of many comic books and sci-fi and action movies, but don't let this confuse into believing that I don't enjoy the genres.  Realistic when super strong characters pick up a bus to throw at another character, they should be driven into the ground like nail driven into a piece of wood.

To try to answer the problem with the length of Wolvie's claws, I always assumed the were telescoping, but they weren't drawn that way for aesthetic reasons.  After all, comics are a highly aesthetic medium.