• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

need some advice

Started by C4, November 15, 2007, 11:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C4

I have a story with six heroes. it starts with the first hero narrating his origin and his first encounters as a super hero.

then the story introduce the next hero though it focuses on her for a while before she meets the first hero.
then as the story progress the full six heroes will be introduced and meet.

What would be your advice to handle the story telling from where hero 2 is introduced?

Should every hero narrate their introduction into the story then as the team are formed none of them narrate anymore?

Should the first hero narrate all the way through?

Should the first hero narrate his intro up until where he meets hero 2 then the heroes narrating stop?

or ?

Tomato

If it were me, I would keep the entire origin thing from one perspective, in this case Hero 1. Switching perspective is somewhat jarring to a reader, and if you're doing these characters one after another it would likely hurt your story more then aid it.

However, you can introduce each character in the story, then eithor slowly (Have them reference an event in there past where it's appropriate, like "Yeah, when I was in the military I defeated...") or quickly (Have Hero 1 ask Hero X how they got their abilities) introduce the other character's past. You don't have to give 100% of a character's background in a story, and it's often better to lead your reader into it.

C4

That is good advice thanks.

U see this is why it is good to get an outside perspective when you struggle.

C4

Yes I also like the idea of the player / reader hearing the thoughts of how the hero is experiencing their origin.

but then I don't want any one of them narrating once the team is formed. if this is too jarring then I guess hero one must narrate again. I do want to stick to the best way of doing it and not the easy way so yeah why I am getting some advice.

but to give more details this is what I was currently doing:
:spoiler:      :spoiler:

intro - hero one already established with a flashback triggered to his origin
mission 1 & 2 - hero 1 narrating his origin then his first experiences as a fledgling hero.
mission 3a - hero one narrating his meeting with hero 2

intro continued - hero 2 enters scene and where she and hero one already know each other and a she thinks back to the meeting of her and hero one and what created it.
mission 3b - briefing:hero 2 narrates her origin which then flows over into why she went to mission 3b: she narrates her first experience as a superhero which leads up to the same meeting from her perspective.

intro continued - hero 3 joins heroes 1+2 and it is clear that they are all working together already. he has his own flashback
mission 4a - briefing: hero 3 narrates his origin. mission4b: hero 3 narrates his first encounters up to the point where heroes 1+2 saves him.
mission 4b - the portion from hero 1 & 2 perspective including their meeting with hero 3.
and so something like this continues until where the intro leads into the current remaining story and no one narrates anymore. ie 3rd person.
:spoiler:     :spoiler:   

catwhowalksbyhimself

Why can't the different character rotate their narration after they meet?  This method has been used in stories before, although not that often, and it works if done well.