• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Paradox Patrol Discussion (Time-Travel SG)

Started by BlueBard, November 27, 2007, 09:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which server should the time-travel SG live on?

Infinity
6 (46.2%)
Virtue
3 (23.1%)
Freedom
3 (23.1%)
Guardian
0 (0%)
Liberty
0 (0%)
Champion
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

BlueBard

Opening up a discussion on creating a new Time-Travel Themed SG and/or VG to run new I-11 content.  This would be open to all characters with backgrounds involving time travel or temporal displacement.  We can have cavemen and knights fighting alongside samurai and advanced androids.  We're going to want to add as many members as possible to take advantage of the Prestige Grant on Dec 10.

Items on the Agenda:

* Which server?
* SG Name?
* Start from Scratch with New Toons, or Open Enrollment?

Post your comments and opinions here!

BlueBard

So far, the motion is to base the SG on Infinity, with Virtue as a possible alternate.

No name has been settled on, but I like names based on the concept of characters pulled from their own times and 'shards' and stranded in the present.  Proposed names have included Time Drifters, Heroes In/Of Time, and I'd like to propose Crosstime Castaways as another possibility.

Also, we can start the whole thing from scratch with new toons, or bring in established characters (depending on server).  If we bring in established characters, I'd vote for Virtue as the home server.  For all-new characters, I'd vote Infinity.

Please discuss and comment.  I may start polls to nail things down more, if there's interest and diversity of opinion.

BlueBard

Just for reference's sake, all members of the SG would be encouraged to do Ouroboros and flashback missions when they get to the appropriate levels.  Here's the relevant info on how to get them:

[spoiler]
QuoteHOW DO YOU GET TO OUROBOROS?

To get to Ouroboros on your own you must be level 25 and "Entrusted with the Secret." "Entrusted with the Secret" is a badge that you get whenever you find out that time travel is possible, usually by fighting some villain who is trying to change the timeline. To get this badge naturally, you need to have at least one of the following, as confirmed by Positron:

* Hero Badges: Time Machinist, Temporal Agent, Arachnophobic, Wrangler, Poltergeist, Sandblasted, Shark Hunter, Justiciar, Globetrotter, Raganarok, Temporal Fighter, Last Stand, Saved The World, Peerless, Diplomat, Time Traveller
    * Villain Badges: Time Machinist, Temporal Agent, Usurper, Archvillain, Oppressor, Destroyer, Dead-eye, Interrogator, Breakneck, Uppercut, Blackguard, Globetrotter, Raganarok, Temporal Fighter, Last Stand, Saved The World, Time Traveller
    * Hero Souvenirs: Letter From Requiem, Blue Clockwork piece, A shattered Shadow Seed, The PsychoChronoMetron, The Real Faultline -by Dr. D. Stein
    * Villain Souvenirs: An old drawing of you, Lord Recluse's Helmet
    * Gladiator: 5th Column Gladiator

The "Entrusted with the Secret" badge comes with a permanent "temporary power" called Ouroboros Portal. It summons an immobile pet called an Ouroboros Portal (or, as most players call it, the "O-portal"). Clicking on the circle on the ground takes you to Ouroboros base. This power may be used every five minutes. The portal disappears when you leave the zone (including logging out or using the portal yourself) or after at most five minutes. Yes, you may use the Ouroboros portal anywhere, including in PvP zones, arena matches, cooperative zones, and Pocket D. Yes, villains may use heroes' O-portals and vice versa; however, this takes them to their own Ouroboros base, not the other side's.

If you did not uncover "the secret" on your own by earning one of these badges or souvenirs or that gladiator, the only way for you to be "Entrusted with the Secret" is to find someone else who has been "Entrusted with the Secret" and ask them to open an Ouroboros Portal for you. Step through it, and find the hidden Exploration badge ("Chrononaut") at the very top of the Ouroboros Base structure. This will also grant you the "Entrusted with the Secret" badge and your own Ouroboros Portal power.

HERO CONTACTS IN OUROBOROS (No Spoilers):

* The Pilgrim gives a normal level 25-50 story arc, called "Ouroboros Initiation," consisting of four missions. Warning: You will be auto-exemplared to below your current level for at least one of these missions, and there is no NPC in Ouroboros base to adjust your difficulty.
    * Twilight's Son sends you back to the recent past to prevent the Circle of Thorns from destroying the world, in "Smoke and Mirrors." This is a level 25-34 task force with a minimum team size of one.
    * Mender Lazarus sends you a little further back in time to make sure that the 5th Column is defeated by The Council, in "Rise of The Council." This is a level 30-39 task force with a minimum team size of one. Warning: This task force was not designed to be soloed. You can try, but you will almost certainly fail in the 2nd mission.
    * Mender Silos sends you back to fight alongside Freedom Phalanx and the Vindicators against Lord Recluse and his minions in Siren's Call, in "Trading Places." This is a level 46-50 task force with a minimum team size of one.

VILLAIN CONTACTS IN OUROBOROS (No Spoilers):

* The Pilgrim gives a normal level 25-50 story arc, called "Ouroboros Initiation," consisting of four missions. Warning: You will be auto-malefactored to below your current level for at least one of these missions, and there is no NPC in Ouroboros base to adjust your difficulty.
    * Mender Tesseract sends you back to 1964 to assassinate President Marchand of the Etoile Islands for Lord Recluse, in "A Spider Spins His Web." This is a level 25-34 strike force with a minimum team size of one.
    * Mender Lazarus sends you a few years back in time to make sure that the 5th Column is defeated by The Council, in "Rise of The Council." This is a level 30-39 strike force with a minimum team size of one. Warning: This task force was not designed to be soloed. You can try, but you will almost certainly fail in the 2nd mission.
    * Mender Silos sends you back a couple of years to fight alongside Lord Recluse's minions against Freedom Phalanx and the Vindicators in Siren's Call, in "Trading Places." This is a level 46-50 strike force with a minimum team size of one.
source info here.

I'm guessing the most straightforward way to get "Entrusted with the Secret" is to run through the Faultline missions (?)[/spoiler]

Thunder

I vote for new characters.  I plan on a dual blades character..I created him on the Test Server and really like the way he played out.  Infinity's cool with me, so is Champion.  I have a 25 toon on Champion from the future. 

For a name, how about:
Tempus Fugitives

*edit* Umm.. I voted for Champion..and it's not there? oh well...must've hit the wrong button

BlueBard

Quote from: Thunder on November 27, 2007, 11:35:33 AM
I vote for new characters.  I plan on a dual blades character..I created him on the Test Server and really like the way he played out.  Infinity's cool with me, so is Champion.  I have a 25 toon on Champion from the future. 

For a name, how about:
Tempus Fugitives

I like that name!  I think it would work better for a VG, though.  We could have a 'flipside' version of the SG for basically the same purposes.

And sorry the server poll doesn't have all of the servers on it... it's limiting me to 6 options.

BlueBard

The server poll has been reset.  Go ahead and recast your vote, Thunder!

catastrophe

i like Tempus Fugitives too.

id prefer new chars, makes teaming ez :)

voted: inf

BlueBard

Quote from: catastrophe on November 27, 2007, 01:27:14 PM
id prefer new chars, makes teaming ez :)

Can't argue with that... and it will let all the new DB/ and /WP folks get right into the thick of things.  New characters it is.

So far Infinity is in the lead as far as servers go.  I plan to start levelling up Thurs night, though possibly Wed night, on whichever server is in the lead.  As soon as I get to 10, I'll start it up and reserve the name.  Which still hasn't been settled.  Keep the suggestions coming!  If we get a few good ones, I'll start another poll.

'The Rifted'?, 'Crosstimers'?, 'Chronic <something>'?, 'Paradox Patrol'?

I'd like to keep the name Tempus Fugitives reserved for a possible VG on the same server, anyone want to do that?

We can plan on running the sewers in Atlas Park if we can pull together a team to level up together.  Who else plans to be on Wed/Thurs night and wants to participate?

Thunder

I like Paradox Patrol.   I'll be on tonight as: The Star-Stalker, Fugitive Hunter from the future.

BlueBard

Quote from: Thunder on November 28, 2007, 12:19:51 PM
I like Paradox Patrol.   I'll be on tonight as: The Star-Stalker, Fugitive Hunter from the future.

What AT/Powersets?  (Just FMyI)

I'm undecided as to what I'm going to build, so far.  Might do a tank, might not.  I'm probably going to try to be creative and come up with some anachronistic heroes.  But that's just me... guys create whatever characters float your boat.

Thunder

I glombed onto the DB/WP powerset.  Had to try it.   BTW he's on Infinity  Global: @Thunder Prime

Uncle Yuan

Not that I'm looking for a place to park alts, but I have placed a personal moratorium on new characters so I'm putting my marker down for Freedom.  I have the server nearly full of mid-teens and only one fifty.  I'm reluctant to move on to another server and wind up repeating the process . . .

BlueBard

That's actually an argument against putting it on Freedom.  Most of us are in the same boat, having filled up our slots on Freedom for one thing or another.

Now I'm not paying for a server move, and don't want to delete any of my existing alts to make way for new ones.  At least not yet.  I figure everyone else will feel more or less the same.  So... no room on Freedom means they gotta live elsewhere.  Unless a good chunk of the potential participants agree Freedom is the place to be.  Which isn't happening so far.  At the moment, Infinity appears to be the place.

Not intending to shut you out, UY.  Just trying to make the idea work.  By all means, if you can convince me and everyone else that Freedom is the best choice, I'd go with the majority.  I just won't have a lot of character slots to play around with.

On a totally unrelated note, the utter lack of any sort of tri-corner or feathered hat is really limiting some of my character designs.  Cuts out a large chunk of history, in my opinion.  There's nothing suitable for an archer, or Victorian-era gentleman, or musketeer.  Darn it, they've got a musketeer mustache, why not a hat to go with it?!?

I'll discuss my experiences with Dual Blades elsewhere...

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: BlueBard on November 29, 2007, 06:48:02 AM
On a totally unrelated note, the utter lack of any sort of tri-corner or feathered hat is really limiting some of my character designs.  ... There's nothing suitable for an archer, or Victorian-era gentleman...
I respectfully beg to differ, sir.
[spoiler]
This top hat suits the Phantom Bunburyist admirably (though the suit jacket and chest options leave something to be desired, i.e., no coattails or cravat available, AFAIK :().[/spoiler]

I'd be game for this SG, if the invitation is open to occasional and not just career players.  Additionally, I believe I have room on Infinity, so it received my vote.

I must say, I am rather keen on this issue.  I've already generated one DB scrapper and one shillelagh-wielding war mace tanker named Peep O' Day Boy. :twisted:

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and The Prat in the Hat

BlueBard

My mistake... of course the top hat works for Victorian era. :) 

And I fully agree with you on the dreadful lack of coattails and a cravat.  The best I can do with my swashbuckler-type character is a decidedly piratical look.  Why, there aren't even any decent friar's robes!  (Although with a baggy top and a mono-colored battle kilt you can get reasonably close)

The invitation is wide open to any character you want to fit into the time-travel theme.  As far as I know right now Infinity is going to be its' home.  I'd really like to see the Tempus Fugitive VG make its' home on the same server.  I haven't bothered to generate a suitable villain yet, so I leave that for someone else.

The more I think of it, the more I am really liking the Paradox Patrol name.  I hope it will still be available.

ow_tiobe_sb

Here are a few possible SG names I conjured up (admittedly, not my best thoughts ever recorded): "The AnachroGnostics," "The ERAtics," "Intercontinuum Inc.," "Chronexus Corps." *shrug*

ow_tiobe_sb

Viking

Since I love the concept of Tempus Fugitives being a corresponding villain group, I'll work on getting a villain to the requisite levels.  That'll also give me an excuse to make a Dual-Blades character without horribly overlapping stuff hero-side.

What to call him, though...

Ronin the Barbarian?

If I make a hero-side character, it will probably be an archery-themed character, possibly a Defender, named Reign of Arrows.

BlueBard

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on November 29, 2007, 08:27:25 AM
Here are a few possible SG names I conjured up (admittedly, not my best thoughts ever recorded): "The AnachroGnostics," "The ERAtics," "Intercontinuum Inc.," "Chronexus Corps." *shrug*

Anachronauts could work as a possibility.  So could ChronoCorps.  (Just to tweak your suggestions a bit...)

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: BlueBard on November 29, 2007, 09:39:41 AM
Anachronauts could work as a possibility.  So could ChronoCorps.  (Just to tweak your suggestions a bit...)

Nice tweaking.  :thumbup:  I very much prefer your suggestions and slap myself thoroughly for not thinking of them myself.  :doh:

ow_tiobe_sb

BlueBard

Quote from: Viking on November 29, 2007, 09:25:30 AM
If I make a hero-side character, it will probably be an archery-themed character, possibly a Defender, named Reign of Arrows.

I like it! :D

And thanks for volunteering to head up Tempus Fugitives.

Okay, names...  We have:

Time Drifters
Rifters
The Castaways
The Crosstimers (or Crosstime Corps)
Heroes Of Time (H.O.T.)
Heroes In Time (H.I.T.)
Paradox Patrol
Anachronauts
AnachroGnostics
Intercontinuum Inc.
ChronoCorps
Chronic Adventurers (just threw that one in, but it's kind of lame too)

Or variations of the same.  My personal vote at this point would go to Paradox Patrol.  It sort of embodies the idea of a group of crosstime adventurers banded together for a common purpose, in my mind.  And the name has an anachronistic flavor to it, like something out of pulp or Golden Age comics.  Anachronauts might be my alternate choice, followed by Crosstime Corps or ChronoCorps.

Do we need to take a poll?

Thunder

I really like Paradox Patrol.   

Now I've gotta get a villain ready for Tempus Fugitives.

BlueBard

Something to think about...

It might be kind of fun if some of the characters had alternate versions in the opposing group.  Sort of like, "this is how so-and-so would have turned out if <some past event> had been different."

Viking

Hah - if you wanted true lameness for a Heroic SG name, you could always call it "Gilligan's Timestream."  A bunch of chronic castaways that each went out for a "three hour" tour, which went seriously awry.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the person who envisioned the themed group in the first place gets the naming rights.  Of course, I also happen to like Paradox Patrol, so it doesn't make much difference in that regard...

BlueBard

Quote from: Viking on November 29, 2007, 10:07:06 AM
Hah - if you wanted true lameness for a Heroic SG name, you could always call it "Gilligan's Timestream."  A bunch of chronic castaways that each went out for a "three hour" tour, which went seriously awry.

:lol:

Not gonna do it, but amusing nevertheless...

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: BlueBard on November 29, 2007, 10:03:41 AM
Something to think about...

It might be kind of fun if some of the characters had alternate versions in the opposing group.  Sort of like, "this is how so-and-so would have turned out if <some past event> had been different."

Grand idea!  I'd gladly go along with this theme. :)

On an unrelated note, has anyone else noticed that one of our CoX worthies, Verfall, seems to have joined the ranks of the standard smileys next to :doh:?  I was not aware that this was one of the important updates made to the forums recently. :blink:

ow_tiobe_sb

Kommando

I started a toon last night on Infinity, named Chrono Commando who like everyone else yesterday, weilds dual blades.  I was on about 3 PUGs with nothing but dual blades.  Needless to say, we were levelling fast.  Now I just gotta fast track "The Secret" on him.  I'll be scouring the COH forums for the quickest route.

BlueBard

Fun as dual blades are, I'm thinking I might want to start a more conventional character for this group.  Be nice to have something besides Scrappers and Tanks.  You know, like for support?

I might do an alternate version of my Maxwell Miracle character.  The mystery in his background might be that he's actually a time-traveller.  Still thinking about it.  I've tried several variations on Grav/Kin in Hero Builder and not satisfied with that.

Kommando

I generally play scrappers anyways, which also makes soloing easier.  If the need arises, then I could make a troller for team play.

Thunder

I forgot I have a Lvl 24 time-travelling blaster: Golden-Star.  I could reserve the name of the team.  I'm no good running a SG, I'd turn the reins over to someone else after we make the group.

BlueBard

Quote from: Thunder on November 29, 2007, 04:09:20 PM
I forgot I have a Lvl 24 time-travelling blaster: Golden-Star.  I could reserve the name of the team.  I'm no good running a SG, I'd turn the reins over to someone else after we make the group.

Go for it!  The sooner we reserve the name, the better.  Paradox Patrol.