• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

A modest proposal...

Started by Alaric, December 02, 2007, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric

A thoguht just occurred to me- with the SG pretige grant coming up, and all the various advantages belonging to even a relatively inactive SG can have these days, why don't we, as a community, try to set up at least one generic (non-themed) sg, and one vg, on each server, and invite any community members' sg-less cahracters on that server into the group? I can see a lot of advantages to doing this- don't have time to detail them right now, unfortunately. I currently have two sgs set up on non-Freedom servers that would work for this- the Invincible Guardians, on Guardian (contact Power Maid), and the Dreamers on Protector (contact the Unknown Hero). These would not be intended to replace any "theme" groups on these servers (actually, I have characters I'd like to get into both the time-travel and evil toys groups), but I just thought it might be a good idea to have "semi-official" generic groups on each server, as well.

Any thoughts?

Midnight

Sure. I've got DOZENS of level 10 and below toons on all the servers with no SG.

Thunder

That's a fun idea.   I have toons on just avout every server as well

BlueBard

Dweomer Knight

I know I have some long unused toons on Guardian.  When's the best to catch you Alaric?  I'm not on every day but I can usually arrange to be on at a given time if needed.

DK

BlueBard

Full disclosure:

I have homeless heroes on Freedom, Virtue, Guardian, and Liberty.  I have vagabond villains on Freedom, Pinnacle, Triumph, and possibly another one I'm forgetting at the moment.

It might not be a bad idea to have a standard name for the SG's/VG's across the various servers... that way we always know which group to apply to on each server.

Alaric

Quote from: BlueBard on December 03, 2007, 01:26:54 PMIt might not be a bad idea to have a standard name for the SG's/VG's across the various servers... that way we always know which group to apply to on each server.

I thought of that, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea. For one thing, it would mean making sure that there is no already-existing group with that name on ANY of the servers. Also, I'd rather not create the impression of some big, multi-server-spanning mega-group- that may just be a personal prefference on my part, of course. In any case, you don't have to know the name of a group you're applying to- just the name of the character you're going to get the invite from. Still, I'm not completely against the idea, I guess.

I figure there should be a stickied list of the SGs, who to caontact, and which server they're on, eitehr in the SGs forum or the general CoH forum. That should help a bit- and global chat should help a lot, also.

Quote from: Dweomer Knight on December 03, 2007, 11:22:50 AM
I know I have some long unused toons on Guardian.  When's the best to catch you Alaric?  I'm not on every day but I can usually arrange to be on at a given time if needed.

DK

I'm on at lots of different times, and it varies a lot... I'm on most weekday nights (except Wedsndays, and sometimes very late than, as well). You can always keep an eye on the FR/NRF channel to see if I'm on, or gloabl frieends- can't remember whether you're on my gf list or not.

Once we have things worked out a little more, I'll probably set up some specific time when I'll just be doing invites- note that I don't have to be the one to found all the groups, though. As I said, I've got groups on Guardian and Protector, ready for members, and I could set up a few more, but other people are welcome to set up groups for this purpose, as well- just post the details here. In the meantime, I'd be happy to start inviting if people let me know they want in.

Alaric

Well, three of the groups have at least gotten off the ground (thanks to BlueBard, Midnight, Valandar, Kommando, Verfall, and anyone I may have forgotten for helping get this thing going). I've now created heroic SGs on every server except Infinity and Virtue (where I have no 10+ level heroes), and Freedom (where this really isn't needed). Haven't created any villain groups- I think the only 10+ non-Freedom villains I have are already members of groups. I'd be happy to move any non-affiliated non-Freedom villains, or hereos on Infinity and Virtue, into someone else's SGs.

I'm going to make a seperate post listing the groups, and a post in CoH General connected to this idea, as well.

Remember, if we want these groups to be able to take advantage of the coming prestige gift, we only have 5 more days. Of course, I'll be more than willing to invite people anytime after that, as well- give players a potential "home away from home", if you will.

Dweomer Knight

Crap.  I was going to get on last night but things came up and I admit that I just forgot.  Who has invite rights to these groups?  I should be home by 6:30 EST tonight, will anyone be one then or later (though after 11 EST is pushing it).

I need to get more people on my Global Friends list.  The problem is that my Global friends would periodically get wiped out (except for Tort, he was the only one to ever remain.  I assume his hard protective shell made him immune to whatever, or maybe he just has good "bling" I don't know).  I bugged it at least half a dozen times and always got the "We'll look into it" response which, apparently, never did anything.  It's been over half a year though, I guess I can take another stab at it.

As an aside, there's an open SG on Virtue (SuperHyperMechaUltraTeamForceGo!) that I got control of by attrition (someone from here made it but I can't remember who); no theme (there was one originally but who cares).  If anyone wants control of it you're welcome to it.  I don't play on Virtue much though I'm reconsidering that as, after Freedom, it appears to be the easiest server to get teams on.

DK

Midnight

Alaric

I'll probably be on and available for giving invites most of the day (Sunday).