Author Topic: Hellboy 2  (Read 2785 times)

Offline BWPS

Re: Hellboy 2
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 08:16:18 PM »
This is one of the greatest movies ever. I found NOTHING bad about it and the fight scenes and special effects were mindblowing awesome!  A HUGE improvement on the first flick which I did like!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Talavar

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
As someone who liked the first film, I don't think it needed a ton of improvement.  The biggest problems, in my opinion, with the first were the underwhelming final battle, the sudden absence of supporting characters in the final act of the movie (Abe), and the shoe-horning of the explanation-character, Meyers.  All were corrected in the sequel.

Offline ow_tiobe_sb

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
As someone who liked the first film, I don't think it needed a ton of improvement.  The biggest problems, in my opinion, with the first were the underwhelming final battle, the sudden absence of supporting characters in the final act of the movie (Abe), and the shoe-horning of the explanation-character, Meyers.  All were corrected in the sequel.

Don't misunderstand me, Talavar.  I, too, enjoyed the first film a great deal, and I currently believe that the screenplay (or editing) for the first film might have been more satisfying (to me) than the one for the sequel.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

Offline captainspud

• Calender2006
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 08:54:55 AM »
Overall grade: C

Offline TheMarvell

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 04:07:20 AM »
finally got a chance to see the movie now that it's out on DVD, and I definitely enjoyed it. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I think it's really about on par as the first one, which I really enjoyed. The only part I thought was kinda dumb was the forest god, which was just way too similar to the cthulu-inspired squid monster at the end of the first one. And yeah, the baby part was unnecessary. But other than that, it was a really fun movie to watch.

Offline Dr.Volt

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »
Saw it last Friday night.  I give it a solid B+.  And I actually liked it better than the first one....which I happened to like as well.  The fx were amazing and the story really decent.

Offline Jakew

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 07:55:48 PM »
I actually thought this film was average up until the scene where Hellboy & co found the canary-eating troll using the special glasses. From that point onwards, I thought the film was great ... wonderful FX, action, and some surprisingly good acting by everyone (except for Selma Blair).

Offline ow_tiobe_sb

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »
I actually thought this film was average up until the scene where Hellboy & co found the canary-eating troll using the special glasses. From that point onwards, I thought the film was great ... wonderful FX, action, and some surprisingly good acting by everyone (except for Selma Blair).

After watching the DVD approximately three times, I can say that there are many subtle motifs at play that are often eclipsed by the various action sequences.  I won't bore anyone with my more detailed thoughts here, but suffice it to say that the movie wears better after repeated viewings.  If you saw it in the theatre, I recommend renting the DVD and watching it at least twice before returning it.  There are still a number of irksome groaners that prove impossible to ignore, but there are other diamonds in the rough worth spotting when one has the luxury of hitting the PAUSE and REWIND buttons.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

Offline BentonGrey

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
I loved this film absolutely unrepentantly!  I thought it was utterly fantastic, way better than the first one, which I did like (I just felt like it was a bit rushed).  I really enjoyed all of the character moments with Abe and Hellboy, and I thought the villains were cool.  The special effects........my goodness the special effects.....every filmmaker who wants to make an effects laden film should be REQUIRED to watch this.  The live action and CGI were really blended well, and there were tons of physical effects.  I know the story had some weaknesses, but just like with Ironman, they were complete non-factors to me.  The film was just plain awesome. 

Tiobe, I would definitely be interested in your analysis, but then again, I am in the field, after all.