• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Hellboy 2

Started by TheMarvell, December 20, 2007, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarvell

check out the new teaser trailer:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15870

I think it looks pretty good. Just as good as the first one anyways. A lot of people I know, both fans of superheros and not, find Hellboy lame though, claiming, at least for the movie, it was too hard to suspend their disbelief. What's the general consensus on this board though? Fans of Hellboy?

I've never heard of him until the first movie came out, which I'll admit, I thought looked ridiculous, but decided to give it a chance after it got decent reviews and was pleasantly surprised. Most of my friends disagreed though and thought it sucked. This sequel looks pretty good though.

steamteck

Looks cool! I liked the first one. What'd so much harder to believe than lots of similar films? His hand?

Figure Fan

Umm..

The first Hellboy movie was amazing, and very much grounded in reality.

This one looks much more like the comic, and feels more 'mystic' and 'supernatural', which are two main aspects of the source material.

Ajax

Quote from: Figure Fan on December 20, 2007, 06:13:19 PM

I hope that is a joke. O.o

Figure Fan

Quote from: Ajax on December 20, 2007, 08:32:06 PM

Uhh..no, it isn't.

The first movie was set in realistic time periods (both past and present), dealt with real world events like WW2, and featured numerous characters who were like regular people. Sure, it dealt with magic and supernatural characters too, but it was still predominantly based in a contemporary reality; our reality.

Adamence

Quote"The Spear of Longinus, recovered from Hitler in 1958."

"You mean '45. Hitler died in '45."

"Did he now?"

Yes, completely grounded in reality :P

I'll admit I laughed at the time, but realism it ain't. 

Previsionary

Quote from: Figure Fan on December 20, 2007, 10:40:25 PM
Quote from: Ajax on December 20, 2007, 08:32:06 PM

Uhh..no, it isn't.

The first movie was set in realistic time periods (both past and present), dealt with real world events like WW2, and featured numerous characters who were like regular people. Sure, it dealt with magic and supernatural characters too, but it was still predominantly based in a contemporary reality; our reality.

Actually FF, Hellboy isn't grounded in reality. It's fantasy (I'm not certain of the sub-genre because I'm not thinking about it, but people seem to forget that fantasy can reference history and such). Being set in a time period does not make it more realistic. That's equivalent to saying Captain America is realistic because he was in a war. If anything, it's alternate history...another sub-genre of fantasy.

TheMarvell

well, whatever you want to call it, most of my friends had a harder time suspending their disbelief with Hellboy because of the makeup. Most see Ron Pearlman with red body paint, a goofy glove, and trench coat, followed by a fish man (which I'm still a little lost on. I'm only familiar with Hellboy because of the movie and it didn't really explain who or what Abe was) and they decide the movies fantasy elements are just a bit too much, especially given the fact it's pitted in realistic time periods.

But I enjoyed it. It's not the best superhero/comic book movie adaptation I've seen, but far from the worst.

detourne_me

check out the cartoons too, they're really well done!

Pyroclasm

Loved the first one.  Looks like this one is going to be great.  Definitely will see it in the theatre!  Thanks for the link, TheMarvell.

billdamn22

I also loved the first one. Ron Perlman was such a fine choice of actor for the role. I can't wait to see this one!

GogglesPizanno

The first one had to grow on me.
Something felt off when I first saw it...
Upon subsequent viewings I like it a lot more.
The second one looks like more of the same only emphasis on the "MORE" So I'm looking forward to it.

Thats said, no amount of time has fixed the abruptness and underwhelming sense of "Thats it?" that the first films ending brought. Thats still my biggest gripe. I'm really hoping they don't fall into that trap with the second one.

And I will second the opinion that the new animated movies they've been putting out are really good...

As an aside, is it just me or does the villain in the new trailer seem a lot like the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis

the_ultimate_evil

the whole ending takes place in my backyard

NORTHERN IRELAND BABY WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

sorry i think its cool

Figure Fan

I want to see more of Mr. Krauss  :cool:

steamteck

Quote from: TheMarvell on December 20, 2007, 11:50:01 PM
well, whatever you want to call it, most of my friends had a harder time suspending their disbelief with Hellboy because of the makeup. Most see Ron Pearlman with red body paint, a goofy glove, and trench coat, followed by a fish man (which I'm still a little lost on. I'm only familiar with Hellboy because of the movie and it didn't really explain who or what Abe was) and they decide the movies fantasy elements are just a bit too much, especially given the fact it's pitted in realistic time periods.

But I enjoyed it. It's not the best superhero/comic book movie adaptation I've seen, but far from the worst.

I really hope your friends aren't that mentally unadaptable. It seems they couldn't handle  almost anything I would enjoy. The makeup I understand( disagree with people are way too anal about this sort of thing) but the mixture of realistic and fantastic elements so common in almost every fantasy/comic/supernatural movie. If your a fantastic movie fan my sympathies to you.

Reepicheep

I gotta admit, I wasn't as thrilled by the first movie as I hoped I would be, but I never was particularly up to date with Hellboy in general. I really haven't summoned up the will to see it again, though I might after seeing this new trailer.

I enjoyed Hellboy as a character in the film, but I just felt like all the other aspects didn't quite match up.

Maybe its just me.  :wacko:

catastrophe

looks cool, i still have mixed opinions on the first one but i i enjoyed the movie overall...

TheMarvell

My friends aren't mentally unadaptable. They really enjoy fantasy movies of almost all genres. But Hellboy just didn't do it for them I guess. Most of them said that the looks of the characters made it really difficult to take the movie seriously, added with some of the cheesy one-liners specifically from Ron Pearlman.

I didn't feel the same way as they did, obviously, but I could see where they were coming from.

lugaru

I just re-watched the first one with some friends last night and while it has it's flaws (horrible dialog, bad use of color, moments of awkward CGI) it is a really fun adventure movie with a whole slew of nerdy fantasy sci-fi elements.

The sequel (judging from the trailer) seems to suffer the same problems but it really looks like a big step forward. Honestly I cant wait, this will be a ton of fun.

herodad1

hellboy is a fun movie.sometimes i'll watch a movie and i dont get it but the second time i watch it it connects.i think it will be just as enjoyable as the first.i guess abe is just some kind of mutant like the fire chick.hellboys movie was better than the ghostrider attempt.

UnkoMan

For the longest time all that was known about Abe Sapien was that he was a fishman found in a tube in Washington DC. There was a piece of paper attached to it with the date of Abe Lincoln's assasination on it, thus the name. That's all you needed to know, really.

Hellboy is essentially about a bunch of blue collar everymen, who happen to be weirdo monstery people, who fight a bunch of more mystical type folk, and more monsters, and nazi heads in jars with robot gorilla henchmen, and old gods that men were not meant to know.

The first movie... was an alright action movie. It wasn't super great by any means, but it wasn't hard to suspend disbelief, and Ron Perlman was the perfect man to play Hellboy. He pretty much looks like that anyhow. If it wasn't about Hellboy (I'm a fan) and sweet monsters, but instead conventional action movie fare, then I wouldn't have liked it at all.

This second movie, though, looks like it could be better. More fantasy type elements can mean more fun. Or it could mean they try too hard and it comes off like Underworld or something like that.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: UnkoMan on December 26, 2007, 11:19:54 PMThis second movie, though, looks like it could be better. More fantasy type elements can mean more fun. Or it could mean they try too hard and it comes off like Underworld or something like that.

If this comes true, you'd better run far and fast to avoid a severe beating from the rabid fans.....and the casual fans, alike. :evil:

;)

BentonGrey

I love the Hellboy comics, and I'm a big fan of the character.  I really enjoyed the first movie, and although I know it had its flaws, I found it a great take on the character, with more hope than usually find its way into Mignola's stories.  I'm REALLY looking forward to the next one!

Jakew

I actually thought the first film was ok, aside from a bit of a rushed climax.

Previsionary

BUMP!

this comes out soon and it's getting great reviews so far. It was at 100% on RT, but a single review knocked it down to 92% and it doesn't sound too credible, so bleh. This seems like a good year for superhero movies, no?

Zippo

I'm super stoked on this movie.

The first one is in my top 3 favorite movie adaptations of comic characters (beats the heck out of all 3 Spider-man and X-Men movies, IMO), and this one looks to be even better.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I'm getting excited about this one too!  The previews just look INCREDIBLY cool.  Does anyone know what comic stories it is drawing from?  I couldn't recognize anything in the preview, but they adapted pretty liberally in the first one, so that doesn't mean anything.

Talavar

I don't think it's pulling from any specific Hellboy stories.  Mignola and Guillermo Del Toro have both talked about a desire to keep the movie continuity and comic continuity fairly separate.

That said, I'm super-stoked to see this as well.  The first Hellboy movie was a lot of fun, and the sequel looks, and the early buzz on it, like it will be better.

Some have complained about the climax to the last film being underwhelming or rushed, but that was largely an issue of budget and production time.  Given the success of the first Guillermo Del Toro's increased clout after Pan's Labyrinth, and he seems to have been given more money and support by the studio.

Talavar

Anybody else see Hellboy 2 this weekend?  I did, and really enjoyed it.  It's increasingly divergent from the comics that spawned it in terms of plot, but the characterization is so well done that I don't care - and the storyline they've gone with instead wasn't bad at all either.

I don't feel like doing a big, spoiler-filled review or anything, but it was good, and well-worth your movie-going dollars.

ow_tiobe_sb

I saw this film today.  Beware the extreme spoilers!  Look away!  Look away!

[spoiler]My initial reaction is a tad "Meh," but I think I need to meditate on this sequel more before I pass final judgment on it.  It's definitely worth seeing at the matinee price, but I'm not convinced that Hellboy II: The Golden Army is a remarkable improvement on the first film.  In terms of special effects and action sequences, of course, this film is a huge improvement (no man-in-an-ill-fitting-monster-suit characters in this film, to be certain), but the story (which had too much to cover in too little time), the sing-along (aye, I chuckled at it, but now I wonder why), the expectation of children (which could have been explored for its interracial(?)/interspecial(?) implications, but wasn't to any appreciable degree), and the underutilisation (not to mention strange attitude shift) of Tambor's character (gotta love the Tambor ;)) left me with "Meh."  There were some very good moments, however, and I hope to post about them later.[/spoiler]

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning