• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Spud's Art - (Updated August 17th: Caregiver)

Started by captainspud, February 26, 2008, 07:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainspud

MJB

The Beta Ray Bill pic looks awesome. I really like that one Spud.

The Cap pic however, it's really hard to tell what's going on. Looks like he's lifting a lamp while using his laser eyes. :?

-MJB

captainspud

He's just grabbed Mjolnir. And apparently, he's worthy.

EDIT: I clarified the hammerhead edges a bit.

juancho

woah Spud
I don't know as much of art as many of the guys here, but I can tell you you can color me astonished, and you can count me on oyur fan club list now!!!
This master pieces are wayy to awsome, I am glad you decided to psot them

Mowgli

I like the Cap piece, but I did have to read the description of what it was about. I like that idea though. It must be Steve... I don't think Cap Version 2.0 could weild mjolnir.  :blink:

captainspud

Mowgli

It might, but to be honest, I'm not used to seeing mjolnir glow. The enhanced edges definitely helped from the first image though. I still like the image though.

captainspud

The Thor stuff is done (I started a few others, but they didn't turn out well), so I'm moving on to the next set: X-Statix.

First up: The Orphan.

Previsionary

What a colorful piece and a unique character. I'm not up on X-statix history, but he's the suicidal mutant that went by Mr. Sensitive as well, no? Either way, I like it.

MJB

I like it and the image stays true to the series. Awesome.

Perhaps you should add a logo to the bottle? X-Cola or something of the like?

-MJB

captainspud

Not 100% happy with the colour scheme, but otherwise I like it. :D

Blkcasanova247

El Condor

Quote from: captainspud on March 13, 2008, 07:55:43 PM
Not 100% happy with the colour scheme, but otherwise I like it. :D

Me too!  I like how the girl hanging the poster is very feminine, but not "bionic-babe" like you often ubiquitously see in comic art.

EC

captainspud

That's always been something that bugged me-- there are a lot of characters who have absolutely no reason to be in that good a shape. Iceman, for example. Most women, for another. Granted, it's a lot easier to draw defined musculature than an "average" build, so maybe it's just institutional laziness. But personally, I try to avoid too much beef/cheesecake unless the character actually warrants it.

captainspud

captainspud

X-Statix is done (I wanted to do one more, but ran out of time), and now we're on to Sentinels. :)

Bolivar Trask

I am officially adding "contrasting secondary light source" to my list of things that I will no longer be impressed by... it took like twenty minutes to add. It's a really cheap effect. ;)

UnkoMan

I wouldn't say "cheap effect" so much as "something you should just add anyway for visual interest."

I haven't said anything here yet, but you've got some nice looking stuff here. The Beta Ray Bill really caught my eye. Very dynamic. I like your experiments with digital painting. I've wanted to try it more but have just been too lazy.

I quite like this newest piece, too. Although I just noticed... are both his legs completely together? My mind had been assuming he was in a more natural stance, with weight equally distributed, but now that I've seen it I can't help feeling like he just fell onto the rail or something.

captainspud

The legs are supposed to be crossed slightly, just above the ankles.

captainspud

Tower of Terror

I did this one really fast to take a break-- I've been working on a very detailed one the last couple days (I hate detail so much...) and just couldn't look at it anymore. :)

captainspud

Sentinels are done. This week's theme: Iron Man.

The Mother of Invention

Still goofing around with the "two contrasting light sources" bit. I think I went a bit too heavy on it in this one.

Mowgli

Spud! Sorry I have been out of this thread for so long. My bad.

The X-Statix: I don't know who they are, but they sound like an X-Men title (which would explain me not knowing.) I really like the almost "Lichtenstein" feel you gave them that brings back the nostalgia of comics. I particularly enjoy the one of the girl hanging the picture. Well done.

The sentinels. The giant head is cool, but the full figure with the magenta light source behind him is fantastic. It has  a very moinous feeling about it and a great sense of scale. I like that one the most in he thread, so far.

Tony Stark: There is something slightly off in the eyes/face area that is bothering me. Maybe the eyes are too big, or the head is, I'm not sure. I love the wires hanging from the glove. The light source on them is very believable.

What is this project that has you doing weekly themes (sorry if you already mentioned it)?

captainspud

Weekly card design article for Gday's blog. (sort by the "How I'd Do It" category on the right to see them). Most of the ideas I have for cards can't just be slotted in with "any old art", so wherever I have a very specific need, I draw it myself. Meejub's started helping, too. :)

Oh, and the problem with Tony's face (at least, one of the problems) is that his eyes are crossed. His right iris is too high and too far in. It needs to be dropped. I noticed it this morning, I'm gonna fix it tomorrow before I publish. :)

Blkcasanova247

Hope I'm not nit picking but the nose is a little off center and the left nostril is a little big. :(  ^_^

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on April 01, 2008, 02:35:26 PM
the left nostril is a little big.

That's probably because Tony forgot he had the gauntlet on before he tried to pick a winner!  :lol:

style

You GOT MADD SKILLS!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: We need a comic by you. Man Love all of them but the poetry shines through on the Bolivar Trask Pic! He has that Henry Ford, Preston Tucker look to him 'The man and his dream'. The look on his face is like he has no true ill will or malice in him and he really feels that what he is doing is right. A True Villian! 

style

Quote from: style on February 28, 2008, 02:37:50 PM
Quote from: Mowgli on February 28, 2008, 12:41:06 PMStyle: "...Marvel needs to let you pencil Thor for them they need help!....Bad!" Bwu-huh? :huh: Are you talking about Thor's solo book? I think the current artist on Thor is doing terrific job. He's one of the reasons I buy it.

I just hope he wasn't the one to come up with Thors new costume in simple words ...I hate it! :thumbdown:

I always felt a Thor comic should have that old cabin look like Spud gave him. :thumbup:

Somebody was listening:

And hey Spud this looks eerily similar to your sketch, doesn't it?

captainspud

A surprisingly fun theme for this week: Starro the Conqueror. I'm about half-done the next one too, I should have it up sometime tomorrow.

Spawning Pool

Wait 'till you see some of the stuff Meejub's got in the can for this week... ;)

Placebo

I really like this one, infact I like all the work you've shown here, but I find this one an interesting mix of your style, previously in the thread you've done some smooth shading with subtle linework, or heavy inks will a kinda cell shaded effect, this seems to be a combination of the 2 and works effectively :)

MJB

I don't know what it is but the combo of that ink style with those colors looks freaking fantastic.

Awesome job Spuddles.

-MJB

Mowgli

Normally I would say that a spwning pool for the starro things was a boring idea. But you drew it at an angle and put those tentacles in the foreground to bring the viewer into the picture. You made it work. Kudos to you for that! Nice pic!  :)

|