• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Spud's Art - (Updated August 17th: Caregiver)

Started by captainspud, February 26, 2008, 07:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainspud

Whoo-hoo! 3 pages. :)

Mindtaking

"But Spud, there's no way an arrow could catch up to the Flash!"

I want to do one more for this series, but I'm not sure I'll have time. We'll see. :)

Uncle Yuan

Nice one!  (In a creepy, sad sort of way . . . )  I especially like the GL "tentacle" - nice little detail.

MJB

Nice job Spud. Something about it has been bugging me since you showed me the original sketch. I couldn't put my finger on it but earlier tonight MJB_jr figured it out on his first look.

You drew the Flash's symbol backwards. :P

Other than that I like it.

-MJB

captainspud

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: captainspud on April 14, 2008, 04:35:55 AM
I also put Hal's ring on the wrong hand.

For that matter, I think Ollie's firing from the opposite hand, as well.  Did an image flip for more dramatic presentation?

captainspud

It's just how it seemed to work well. Characters moving from left to right are seem as good/positive/happy/etc, characters moving from right to left are seen as bad/sinister/worrying (to any audience with a left-to-right written language).

Therefore, making the good guy run right tells people he's the good guy before they even figure out that the other two figures are bad.

captainspud

I hate to leave the Starro theme behind (it was a hoot to work on), but another week brings another subject. Ah well. :)

This week I'm only doing one large piece. I'm taking two real-life people and making them into Green Lantern alien-dudes.

Difficulty: I've never drawn a convincing likeness in my life. :)

So, yeah. Here's about an hour's work on the first one. Once I settle on a decent likeness and pose, I'll alien him up a bit more. The concept with this one is going to be a very gangly four-armed monkey-ish alien.

Comments? Crits? I want the likeness to be as good as possible, so feel free to be harsh. I know the nose isn't quite right (I suck at noses), and I need to move his hairline back a smidge.  Anything else?

Uncle Yuan

I dunno - he's definitely recognizable.  The nose looks pretty close, and the chin, the lips and the shape of of the face look good.  His upper lip is way too tall, though, and his eyes are either too large or too heavily shaded - either way they look too prominent.  The hair line needs to be rounded out rather than raised per se - the front is too low, but the sides are right.

MJB

Good call on the upper lip Mr. Yuan. The way it is now he looks a bit "Hulkish".

-MJB

captainspud

captainspud

MJB

captainspud

I was more or less satisfied with the likenesses, so I went ahead and sketched out the whole drawing. Cliff (the big one) is in black and green armor, and Squire (the monkey guy) is in a fairly standard GL suit. They're flying away from Oa in the background.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever posted full process shots for anything before. I usually work too fast for it to be worth it. So, yay for my first time. ;)

And yes, everything I draw starts out as a complete and utter mess like that. :D

MJB

captainspud

Tentatively done Cliff. The likeness got a little drowned out (I jutted the jaw out a bit too much), but I think it still mostly holds up. Disregard the green-- it's a colour overlay to help me tell tones apart more easily.

I'll try to get Squire done tonight.

captainspud

Figure shading's (tentatively) done.

Next I'll detail the background, and then start on colours.

captainspud

MJB

I've enjoyed seeing your process. The end product looks good Spuddly.

-MJB

Glitch Girl

I love seeing the process that goes into creations.  Great looking stuff Spud, thanks for sharing how it evolved. 

(now I need to go back and go through the rest of the thread and see all the stuff I missed)

captainspud

A fun theme this week: the Inhumans. I'm going to be trying to mimic the general feel of Jae Lee's art from the MK launch miniseries-- pools of shadow, and fine lines.

And given the obscurity of some of these characters, I'll be providing links to some pictures. ;)

First up: Carthus, leader of the Inhuman Genetics Council

I think I'll add a backlight to the pic to help pick out the forms a little better... I'll try it tonight and see how it looks.

Dr.Volt

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on April 12, 2008, 04:41:38 PM
Nice one!  (In a creepy, sad sort of way . . . )  I especially like the GL "tentacle" - nice little detail.

Agreed!  I really dig this work, Spud!  Actually I love your overall style.  I hate seeing Flash take an arrow like that.  But it's a cool work none the less!  And I like the star fish aliens as a theme.  Hmmmmm...actually I wouldn't mind seeing a supes, a GL, or some other JL member skin with a star fish over their face.  Ahhhhh...but that belongs in another thread....

Also, I'm diggn' the other GL pieces!

Well, keep up the good stuff, Cap!

Alaric

I've always loved your work, Spud. It's fun to see you get more and more versatile.

That Carthus picture is just... amazing.

I wish I could draw like that...

captainspud

Karnak
[spoiler][/spoiler]

This took, like, 25 minutes. Hence why it sucks. :D

captainspud

Timberius

Timberius' brother was killed by some human mercenaries, but the royal family wouldn't let him get vengeance, so he snuck out into the woods and resolved it on his own. It was my favourite scene from the MK miniseries. :)

captainspud

Starting on a longer-term theme this week-- three weeks of Invincible.

Omni-Man

This was my warm-up today, completed in about 45 minutes. I'm about half-done today's main piece, but I'm unsure about the pose (the anatomy looks kinda funny), and I want to fix that before I post anything.

Much, much more still to come.

MJB

Looks awesome but where are his eye brows?

-MJB

captainspud

IT'S NEVER GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU

*sobs*

FINE! HERE'S YOUR STUPID EYEBROWS!!

*storms off, bawling*

Uncle Yuan

Nice eyebrows!

And nice piece, per usual.  I can't wait to see the rest.  (Are you going to do eve?  You have to do Eve!)

captainspud

Yaknow, 50 issues later, I still don't know what Eve's powers are. I know she shoots pink stuff... is it an energy blast? A GL-type thing? I have no idea.

Uncle Yuan

It's supposed to be matter transmutation and manipulation.  She made the house in Africa from . . . other stuff.  Makes food.  I think the pink stuff is her transmuting air into solid structures.  But I do agree her powers are pretty nebulous.

Whatever her powers are I want you to do a pic of her because she's hot.  Love them red heads!

|