• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

I'm A Skrull!

Started by Mowgli, April 02, 2008, 01:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowgli

Just read "Secret Invasion" and I thought I should come clean. I mean, what better way to infiltrate the government at a high level than to pose as a Disney character on an internet forum? I'm sure you see the brilliance of my plan.

Anyway, That was a pretty cool start to the story, but I have no idea where it's headed...
(Spoilers Below...)

Those heroes that got off the skrull ship... who seemed to believe that they were really the original heroes? Are they? Or are they brainwashed like the Captain Marvell storyline is alluding to with his return? And Hank Pym is a somewhat major character to have been replaced. So kudos to a decent start... and hoping that they don't screw it up.  :blink:

Podmark

Pym's replacement could easily have occured twice in the last year over in Avengers the Initiative, so I'm not too surprised.

Talavar

Some key people revealed to be skrulls, but nobody too major yet...

[spoiler]

Interesting that Jarvis, Dugan and Hank Pym are skrully, but all those heroes that got out of the ship can't be the real versions; there's just no way that that much of the Marvel cast has been skrulls for the length of time implied by their appearances.

[/spoiler]

Previsionary

Interview with Bendis about this event. I didn't catch most of it on tv, but you might find it interesting: G4tv interview

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on April 03, 2008, 10:36:13 AM
Interview with Bendis about this event. I didn't catch most of it on tv, but you might find it interesting: G4tv interview

Marvel Summer event of 2009: Wolverine eats a really good pie.

I can't wait! :D

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on April 03, 2008, 11:37:45 AM

LOL yeah I laughed at that too. I kinda want it to happen. Maybe just a page or panel :D

daglob

Quote from: murs47 on April 03, 2008, 11:37:45 AM

Then he gets roped into solving all the mysterious happening that occurred around town a few years previously. Then the FBI gets involved, and giant wood ticks, and...

Mowgli

Heh. Heheheheheheheheh he heh heh. Ooooooo. Ehem.

Did Brian Michael Bendis just say, "I don't retcon?"  :blink:

murs47

Quote from: Mowgli on April 03, 2008, 12:52:16 PM
Heh. Heheheheheheheheh he heh heh. Ooooooo. Ehem.

Did Brian Michael Bendis just say, "I don't retcon?"  :blink:

Yes. Yes he did. I wonder what dictionary he's got lying around his house, cause it's definitely not Webster's?

Previsionary

Crazies! He doesn't retcon. He simply enhances the past in such a way that it makes much more sense and the story turns out much better. Y'all better stop the "hateing"!

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on April 03, 2008, 01:42:44 PM
Crazies! He doesn't retcon. He simply enhances the past in such a way that it makes much more sense and the story turns out much better. Y'all better stop the "hateing"!

:lol:

cmdrkoenig67

Isn't Jessica Jones/Jewel a big ole retcon? 

Dana

Mystik

Protomorph

Jessica Jones isn't a retcon, just a new character slipped and woven into the past, just like Cable and Apocalypse.

Talavar

Quote from: Protomorph on April 04, 2008, 07:15:28 PM
Jessica Jones isn't a retcon, just a new character slipped and woven into the past, just like Cable and Apocalypse.

I think some people would consider all of those ret-cons, because they are "retro-active continuity," after all.  A little different from the other sort of retcon, where events from the past are dramatically altered with the revelation of previously "untold" information, but whatever.

herodad1

well i just read invasion #1 and hope some things will be answered.in put please.1.)if the characters coming out of the ship are the originals....the REAL captain america is back. 2.) always liked the blue gorilla beast over the current lion king look 3.) thor?what about what's going on in his new series?i think theyve got alot of explaining to do!

Podmark

Quote from: herodad1 on April 04, 2008, 09:17:48 PM
well i just read invasion #1 and hope some things will be answered.in put please.1.)if the characters coming out of the ship are the originals....the REAL captain america is back. 2.) always liked the blue gorilla beast over the current lion king look 3.) thor?what about what's going on in his new series?i think theyve got alot of explaining to do!

Captain won't be the real one. Bru won't compromise his story for something like this. I also doubt Thor will be the real one.

I put decent odds on Jewel and Hawkeye being the true ones.

AfghanAnt

I really think all the characters shown to come out of the pod were all the character who aren't Skrulls.

First we know that Beast will still have his cat-form in Ellis' Astonishing. No way are they going to make Emma Frost a skrull, she is the new Wolverine of the X-books. Thor was recently reborn, Bendis loves Luke, Hawkeye, and Jessica Jones very much. Captain has been confirmed dead and I think it is going to stay that way for a while. Also Wolverine and Spidey couldn't be Skrulls because of the stuff going on in their titles.

Also if they have Phoenix and Scarlet Witch levels of powers they wouldn't need to hide. They could just change the world and everyone would be a skrull.

thanoson

So, I did call Jarvis right. Woot! But what does "He loves You" mean. Who is he?

B A D

It means they are cylons. Which is where this plot was lifted from.

Talavar

Quote from: B A D on April 05, 2008, 02:22:11 PM

Well, come on.  Undetectable alien invaders that replace humans in order to take over is hardly unique to the new Battlestar Galactica (when did the first Invasion of the Body Snatchers come out again?), but yeah, the religious-y overtones are probably from there.

Here's a thought, could be completely out there, but what if...

[spoiler]

the "he" in these statements, and part of the motivation for trying to conquer earth, is Young Avengers' Hulkling?  He is the heir to the Skrull Empire, and is seen as something of a saviour-figure among some skrulls at any rate.

[/spoiler]

Podmark

Actually Bendis has said the Cylons are part of the inspiration for this story.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Talavar on April 05, 2008, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: B A D on April 05, 2008, 02:22:11 PM

Well, come on.  Undetectable alien invaders that replace humans in order to take over is hardly unique to the new Battlestar Galactica (when did the first Invasion of the Body Snatchers come out again?), but yeah, the religious-y overtones are probably from there.

Here's a thought, could be completely out there, but what if...

[spoiler]

That would be very amazing if that was true.

the "he" in these statements, and part of the motivation for trying to conquer earth, is Young Avengers' Hulkling?  He is the heir to the Skrull Empire, and is seen as something of a saviour-figure among some skrulls at any rate.

[/spoiler]

Outcast

A little bit confused. Why are they suggesting that Hawkeye could possibly be a Skrull? Isn't Hawkeye still Ronin? Or did he return to being Hawkeye?

If it turned out that Hawkeye is a Skrull, how would this affect his character? Does this mean the current Clint Barton under the guise of Ronin is a fake? Thereby, making it possible for the real Hawkeye to return? :wacko:

Protomorph

If the Avengers on the pod are the genuine article, (and have been since the 70's, during the Kree-Skrull war) then so are the other versions genuine. When they died fighting Onslaught and were recreated by Franklin, he obviously wouldn't know this and remade them in their genuine forms (just like Teen Tony Stark and Insectoid Wasp were corrected in this way).

As for the X-men, Luke, Jessica and Spidey...they seem to be fair game, but I don't recall when they would have been swiped.

I would like it if they used this to explain how Normon Osborn came back after his impaling.

Podmark

I think its unlikely that Norman or any of the Tbolts are Skrulls. Thunderbolts Mountain was one of the Skrulls's first targets.

Some on the pod will be the real deal, least thats what Bendis seems to hint in an interview, but I'll bet ya most are a trick.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Talavar on April 04, 2008, 07:33:30 PM
Quote from: Protomorph on April 04, 2008, 07:15:28 PM

I think some people would consider all of those ret-cons, because they are "retro-active continuity," after all.  A little different from the other sort of retcon, where events from the past are dramatically altered with the revelation of previously "untold" information, but whatever.

Um...I don't see a difference...Jewel/Jessica Jones-Cage is a super hero, who apparently tried to join the Avengers years ago...We never saw this (except in a flashback in her own series).  She has been pretty much shoe-horned into Major (meaning the Avengers) Marvel Continuity (as has Sentry).  A retcon is a retcon is a retcon.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Podmark on April 11, 2008, 01:12:59 PM
I think its unlikely that Norman or any of the Tbolts are Skrulls. Thunderbolts Mountain was one of the Skrulls's first targets.

Some on the pod will be the real deal, least thats what Bendis seems to hint in an interview, but I'll bet ya most are a trick.

If that's the case, I'm guessing the Hawkeye on the ship is real and the New Avengers Clint Barton/Ronin is a sleeper Skrull, maybe also the Beast(I could be totally wrong, though).

So many of the other heroes from the ship are so long out-of-date (First appearance Wolverine, Original costume Ms Marvel, Scarlet Witch and Vision both in old costumes), I can't imagine there would be many more real heroes there.

clownprince

when i read the bit about i love you i thought about

[spoiler]thanos[/spoiler] but i did like it and that surpise me more than anything.  :P

Alaric

Quote from: Protomorph on April 11, 2008, 07:44:27 AM
If the Avengers on the pod are the genuine article, (and have been since the 70's, during the Kree-Skrull war) then so are the other versions genuine. When they died fighting Onslaught and were recreated by Franklin, he obviously wouldn't know this and remade them in their genuine forms (just like Teen Tony Stark and Insectoid Wasp were corrected in this way).

Sorry to dissapoint you, but those aren't the Kree/Skrull War era Avengers emerging from that pob (not least because Clint Barton was in his Goliath identity durring the Kree/Skrull War, and only re-assumed his Hawkeye identity right after the War- in a very different costume, I might add). Those are, instead, the David Michelinie Avengers, from around the year 1980- although the exact lineup is hard to pin down (Hawkeye's with the team, as are Ms. Marvel and Thor, while neither the Falcon nor Jocasta are in evidence- and, oddly enough, the Beast is wearing glasses, which he never did as an Avenger). (Note- I don't own the Secret Invasion comic, myself, but I looked at it earlier today. My memory of the image in question may be a little off.)