• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold

Started by Midnite, April 03, 2008, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on October 27, 2008, 08:35:20 AM
I don't know...I soooo loved Batman TAS (Adventures of Batman and Robin, etc...) and the Justice league (& JLU)....At least it looks better than that horrible The Batman series.

Dana

I feel ya', Cmdr.  I'd kill to have JLU continue, or even spin-offs in the same universe.  I would TOTALLY watch a Question series...or a Green Arrow/Black Canary series....or....really, anything. :P  An Atom series could be cool, exploring subatomic worlds and all that....

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, they may do the delayed When Worlds Collide JLA movie.

But, yeah,a spin-off series would be cool, but I doubt we'll see one.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I really hope they manage to put that out.  (Heck, they need to, Marvel's got tons of direct to DVD stuff coming out)  JLA vs. Crime Syndicate would just be SOOO awesome.  If they base it off Syndicate Rules, we might even get some Aquaman action as well. ;)  But, I have no illusions about the possibility for a resurrected JLU show, of any stripe.  I simply wish. 

Previsionary

bah, DC/WB needs to release the TT movie already. I wouldn't call their New Frontier movie all that kid friendly, but they felt content to release it and show it on tv. I think WB could go the PG route and release many more direct movies. I long for the days where we got TAS bat movies and said movies weren't dumbed down or very kiddy at all. How times change!

Oddly enough...only Batman seems to get the PG+ ratings...and I guess he lends himself to that...

Talavar

I really think the Timm-verse of DC shows is, sadly, done.  Timm's doing other projects for DC that are unrelated, and most the other important members of his shows' creative teams have scattered to other shows or projects.

The best we can really hope for (aside from that Crime Syndicate DTV) is that new animated versions of these characters will be good. _The_ Batman I have no love for, but I hope Batman: Brave & the Bold will be better than I expect.

Midnite

The Hitman

Waitaminute... Dietrick Bader is voicing Batman?! The guy with the moustache from Office Space!? I dunno...

BWPS

Quote from: Previsionary on October 27, 2008, 11:31:09 AM
Oddly enough...only Batman seems to get the PG+ ratings...and I guess he lends himself to that...
Superman: Doomsday was actually PG-13.

QuoteWaitaminute... Dietrick Bader is voicing Batman?! The guy with the moustache from Office Space!? I dunno...
He's really funny. I guess this show is going for camp, so maybe the people who prefer campy Batman to cool Batman will like it. My guess is that Oswald/Rex/Lawrence will be doing his best Adam West impression. I wish they'd just try something different from the old campy stuff, it's funny, but not something I'd be eager to watch every week.

The Hitman

QuoteWaitaminute... Dietrick Bader is voicing Batman?! The guy with the moustache from Office Space!? I dunno...
He's really funny. I guess this show is going for camp, so maybe the people who prefer campy Batman to cool Batman will like it. My guess is that Oswald/Rex/Lawrence will be doing his best Adam West impression. I wish they'd just try something different from the old campy stuff, it's funny, but not something I'd be eager to watch every week.

Y'know, it's funny. I re- watched Napoleon Dynamite last night, and if Bader does a voice similar to the one he used in that movie, it'll be a good fit.

Dr.Volt

Has anyone seen the trailer for Batman:  The Brave and the Bold?  It looks really good!  Apparently Bats teams up with a classic DC hero each week against classsic DC villains.  It has a definite Silver age look to it which is most excellent, imho.  Apparently it is based on the comic series (though I'm not familar with it).  The show is said to be lighter hearted than the comic series.  Which is way cool to me as a change of pace.   Some of the superheroes mentioned include (but not limited to):  Blue Beetle, Plastic Man, Aquaman (oh yeah!  Aquaman!!!), Black Canary and Green Arrow.  Green Arrow has a more old skool Silver agey look (no gotee)...yet Aquaman has a beard (hmmmmmmmmm...not sure what I think about that).  But they all look great!

Well, here's a few links:

Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=16757649

Trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXSPJZr65s

The trailer has some cool 60's back ground music that is again a nice Silver age homage.

Well, please chime in on this! What think ye???

danhagen

Looks like great fun. I could use some lighter Bat-fare after the excellent but relentlessly grim "Dark Knight."

Previsionary

Dr.Volt

Oh man!  :doh: I searched for it and didn't find that thread.  Well, my apologies!

Dr.Volt

Quote from: The Hitman on October 29, 2008, 10:24:53 AM

Y'know, it's funny. I re- watched Napoleon Dynamite last night, and if Bader does a voice similar to the one he used in that movie, it'll be a good fit.

I agree Hitman, I think Bader can pull it off for sure given the possible campi'ness of this series.  I personally like the animation style and the quasi-Silverage feel.  So yeah, I'm still going to give this show a chance.  My fellow fanboy son Noah and I will probably sit down with some pop corn and enjoy it.  It's not like costs anything...except for time...and mental health I suppose.  Lol!

randyripoff

BentonGrey

Thanks Randy!  Anyway, the review isn't exactly encouraging to me...but color me hopeful, none the less.  I won't pass final judgment until the Aquaman episode airs. 

danhagen

My nominee for best Batman voice ever is (drum roll please) Jeremy Sisto in "New Frontier."

BentonGrey

Quote from: danhagen on November 08, 2008, 11:59:14 AM
My nominee for best Batman voice ever is (drum roll please) Jeremy Sisto in "New Frontier."

Kevin Conroy is Batman...it's that simple.

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 08, 2008, 04:10:29 PM
Quote from: danhagen on November 08, 2008, 11:59:14 AM

Kevin Conroy is Batman...it's that simple.

Yeah it never sounds right whenever I hear anyone other than Conroy. Though I actually thought Rino Romano did a decent job.

Talavar

Though I have to say, hearing Kevin Conroy's voice coming out of some of the different stylistic versions of Batman on the Gotham Knight DTV was kind of jarring at times.  Nothing like hearing an elfin, anime styled Bruce Wayne talking with Kevin Conroy's voice.

Previsionary

Didn't the show premiere today? Did anyone actually catch it?

BWPS

I watched most of it this morning. It was way better than I expected but still nothing I'm too excited about. It reminded me a little of Ben 10 Alien Force and Teen Titans. It was kinda weird how it opened up the series with Batman and Blue Beetle fighting aliens in space (Batman had a small face mask which enabled him to breath in space. LOL.). I didn't catch the beginning. Blue Beetle was cool, especially his suit and not so much his retardedness. Diedrich Bader's voice wasn't bad, but it still made me laugh because his voice is familiar. I still don't like the animation and the goofiness and Batman was kinda lame, overall I'd definitely say it's "Not Bad". Maybe a 6/10?

chuckles

I watched it, it had a "retro" look to the art that I liked.
The early scenes with Green Arrow were not too bad, the escape bit was a little too corny, even for me.
Of course the original GA was a welcome sight, but I'm not a fan of that version of Blue Beetle.
Now that that episode is over, I can totally see me watching it.

Characters I'd like to see Batman team with:
Atom
Doctor Fate
Vigilante
Spectre
Hawkman
Plastic Man

among others of course.

danhagen

Plastic Man is the next, I understand, with Bats on Dinosaur island.
Cool.

Dr.Volt

Quote from: chuckles on November 15, 2008, 03:24:18 PM
I watched it, it had a "retro" look to the art that I liked.
The early scenes with Green Arrow were not too bad, the escape bit was a little too corny, even for me.
Of course the original GA was a welcome sight, but I'm not a fan of that version of Blue Beetle.
Now that that episode is over, I can totally see me watching it.

Characters I'd like to see Batman team with:
Atom
Doctor Fate
Vigilante
Spectre
Hawkman
Plastic Man

among others of course.

Is Hawkman planned???  I didn't see him in the list.  If so....that rocks! 

I watched the first episode.  I really liked it.  I just view it as an alt universe version of Bats.  I am having trouble viewing Bats as this comical.  And he's a little low on martial skills and his super-duper...near whackiness gadgetry (like the mask and the pop up rocket wings) are a tad out of character for me.  I definitely agree that the stand out character from this episode is the Blue Beetle.  And not being overly tied to the comic version...I like this version just fine.  I did like Green Arrow quite a lot as well.  I definitley hope we see more of him.  I also did like the occasional voice over commentary from Bats.  Lastly, I like Bader just fine doing the voice of this version of the Dark Knight.  Again, it seems entirely appropriate for a comical Bats to be done by Bader. 

So, yeah, I'll be watching the show.  The kids and I had a blast!  Bring on Dinosaur Island and Aquaman!!!

BentonGrey

Yeah, it would be really nice to see a Hawkman guest star in a series that didn't suck and was the classic version of the character (as the JLU one, while being cool, broke my heart).

Podmark

Saw the first episode today. I'm going to refrain from a true opinion for now, let a few eps go in. When Clone Wars started I wasn't really impressed but the by now I think it's great - the same may happen here.

Blue Beetle was kinda annoying. I've never read his solo title but I've read him in TT and a couple other places and he never seemed so well useless. Still I love his design and it was cool to see him in the show. Ironic that they just canceled his comic.

BentonGrey

Well, I'm sick as a dog and can't sleep tonight, so I tracked down the first episode of this show.  I have to say...it isn't horrible, but I definitely am not impressed.  The writing is pretty weak in places, the little cute 'laugh moment' bits with Blue Beetle doing double takes and stuff were sometimes cringe worthy, and Bader does NOT work as Bats in any way shape or form.  BB got annoying quick, but Kanjar Ro was at least a semi-threatening villain.  I liked their design for him.  Some of the action was pretty good, but the anime-style still frame action shots...yeah, I hate those.  All in all, if they tone down the cute, get a bit more practice with their writing, and have some better guest stars (the last one at least looks promising) it could be alright.  I just REALLY hope they replace Bader.  He just sounded way too much like himself.  I kept having visions of Oswald in a Bat costume.  Kevin Conroy could SO have done this, and the show would have more weight (while still being fun) for his inclusion.

Silver Shocker

I saw it this week and I didn't really mind it. It wasn't great, and it probably won't be my favorite show every week, but I thought it was somewhat entertaining. The animation was good even though I'm not a fan of the animation style and design for Batman. I actually didn't have a problem with the voices, I thought Bader's Batman was a little better than I expected, at times he actually reminded me a bit of Conroy. I'd definitely rather have Conroy in the role though.

danhagen

Saw it for the first time and loved its Silver Age homage. Plastic Man, the Bat Plane, bat gadgets, Dinosaur Island, Grodd the Super Gorilla, zippy theme music — all great fun. A cartoon for Freedom Force fans if there ever was one.

|