• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Doctor Who - Season 4 GUMBOTRON FIESTA!!!! OLE!!

Started by B A D, April 07, 2008, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bredon7777

Sorry BAD

[spoiler]
I've seen way too many spoilers for the final 3 episodes.  It's Rose, all right [/spoiler]

GM:
I thought the Adipose one was better than the Pompeii one, but not by a lot (though both were MILES above PotO); I will admit that that may just be due to how cute the little Adipose babies were.

Since season 5 doesn't come out till 2010, it'll be a while before we see if you get your wish.  I can tell you this, though [spoiler]
Redesigned cybermen show up in the 08 Christmas day special [/spoiler].  Take it for what its worth.

kkhohoho

Quote from: B A D on May 04, 2008, 05:07:17 AM
2 things about the Pompeii Episode:1) I much prefer Donna over Martha. She's funnier, much more reactive, and not under the Doctor's heel like some love sick puppy. The Doctor needs someone who's going to punch him in the Jimmies once in a while.2) The prophecy "She is Returning" is supossed to make us think that its directed at Rose. I don't . I believe thats a bit of misdirection and that   [spoiler] its the Ranni, not Rose thats' returning. Im not even sure that we saw Rose at  all in the first Ep now. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Ranni who?[/spoiler]

the_ultimate_evil

Quote from: B A D on May 04, 2008, 05:07:17 AM
2 things about the Pompeii Episode:1) I much prefer Donna over Martha. She's funnier, much more reactive, and not under the Doctor's heel like some love sick puppy. The Doctor needs someone who's going to punch him in the Jimmies once in a while.2) The prophecy "She is Returning" is supossed to make us think that its directed at Rose. I don't . I believe thats a bit of misdirection and that   [spoiler] its the Ranni, not Rose thats' returning. Im not even sure that we saw Rose at  all in the first Ep now. [/spoiler]

yep as bredon says sorry

[spoiler] the big bad this season is everyone's favourite half and half davros[/spoiler]

B A D

Well, since its not her, its not a Spoiler. The Ranni is another time lord. Think the Master with boobies.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteThink the Master with boobies.

I'd much rather not, thank you very much for introducing that image.

Kommando

Quote from: B A D on May 04, 2008, 02:41:56 PM
Well, since its not her, its not a Spoiler. The Ranni is another time lord. Think the Master with boobies.

They're Etheric Beam Locators.  :p

bredon7777

Wow, that was BAD. Just downright awful. :( :( :(

And I had such high hopes when I heard the Doctor was going to meet Agatha Christie (my all time favorite writer) this season.

What a letdown. :(

B A D

I think you're running on BBC time, Bred. I just saw the first parter to the Sontaran Invasion and Martha returning and I couldn't be happier with it. Especially Russ. "Come on now. We like Russ." Completely reminded me of old Sergeant Benton.

bredon7777

Hrm, don't know how everyone else is getting them, but yeah I get them around 7- 8 pm (our time) on the day they air in Britan.  I normally dont watch them till the next day, but I made an exception and stayed up till 230 to watch this one, and it was such rubbish I really wished I hadn't.  Rubbish with a few clever bits, mind you, but rubbish nevertheless.

Still, I thought that he meets Agatha Christie was pretty well known, so I didn't spoiler it. Apologies.

Haven't seen "The Poisoned Sky" or "The Doctor's Daughter" yet?..you're in for a treat then. The  Sontaran 2 parter and "The Doctor's Daughter" are the best episodes so far this season.

Season rankings:
"The Doctor's Daughter"
"The Sontaran Strategem/The Poisoned Sky"
"Partners in Crime"
"The Fires of Pompeii"
" The Wasp and the Unicorn"
"Planet of the Ood"

Talavar

Now that's how you do a Doctor Who episode!  Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead were the first episodes of this season that are actually good, rather than just "okay."  Hope this bodes well for Stephen Moffat taking over as show-runner, since he penned these episodes.

bredon7777

You're a little harsher than I am, Talavar- I thought The Sontaran Strategem/The Poisoned Sky and The Doctors Daughter were pretty good.

Not as good as Silence of the Library/Forest of the Dead(Which in and of themselves were not as good as Blink)- this two parter is easily the best of the season to date.

I cannot wait till Moffat takes over in 2010!

[spoiler]
I am a huge sucker for confrontation scenes like the one in the puter core.  "I am the Doctor, and you're standing inside the biggest library in history. Look. Me. Up." [/spoiler]

GhostMachine

For anyone who doesn't know, the cool thing about "The Doctor's Daughter" is that the actress playing Jenny really IS a Doctor's daughter; her father is Peter Davison, the Fifth Doctor.  :ph34r: :blink: :thumbup:

bredon7777

Quote from: GhostMachine on June 08, 2008, 03:04:30 PM
For anyone who doesn't know, the cool thing about "The Doctor's Daughter" is that the actress playing Jenny really IS a Doctor's daughter; her father is Peter Davison, the Fifth Doctor.  :ph34r: :blink: :thumbup:

An added bonus on top of being extremely cute. And blonde. :)

Kommando

Quote from: bredon7777 on June 08, 2008, 03:38:10 PM

You missed the other half of her lineage.  Her mother is Sandra Dickenson, who played Trillian in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Also, she is currently dating David Tennant.

bredon7777

Quote from: Kommando on June 08, 2008, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: bredon7777 on June 08, 2008, 03:38:10 PM

You missed the other half of her lineage.  Her mother is Sandra Dickenson, who played Trillian in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Also, she is currently dating David Tennant.

Heh. He used to date Sophia Myles (Reinette from "The girl in the fireplace"). The man does have a soft spot for pretty blondes.

That said, and not to threadjack but I thought the original Trillian was awful.  Zooey Deschanel did a much better job- one of the few things the movie did better than the tv version.

B A D

David Tennant  is the man. And he would be moronic to leave the Doctor at the height of his popularity. Quick, somebody make him read David Caruso's bio .

bredon7777

Calm down. The man is committed through 2010, making him one of the longer Doctors to stay in the role, assuming he leaves at the end of the '10 season.

B A D

But he said in an offhanded comment 3  years  ago that  he wanted to beat Tom Baker's run! Im holding him to it!

the_ultimate_evil

do not open this unless you want the series spoiled i, repeat do not open this unless you want the series spoiled

[spoiler][/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

That's been rumored for a while, so I'm not surprised.

GhostMachine

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on June 10, 2008, 11:17:03 AM
do not open this unless you want the series spoiled i, repeat do not open this unless you want the series spoiled

[spoiler][/spoiler]

One little problem with that:

[spoiler]Last time Davros was seen, he was reduced to just a head in a Dalekanium casing. So is this Davros from a point in time before his last appearance, an alternate universe, or what?[/spoiler]

Kommando

Quote from: GhostMachine on June 10, 2008, 05:07:32 PM
Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on June 10, 2008, 11:17:03 AM

[spoiler][/spoiler]

One little problem with that:

[spoiler]Last time Davros was seen, he was reduced to just a head in a Dalekanium casing. So is this Davros from a point in time before his last appearance, an alternate universe, or what?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think it may have to do with Dalek Caan, last of the Cult of Skaro, pulling Davros from another point in history.  If some of the weirder rumors are true, then its possible that Harriet Jones (former British Prime Minister) may be complicit in the creation of the new Dalek race, and its been said that she appears within the casing of a red dalek.[/spoiler]

B A D

Yar, there are all kinds of floaty rumours out there regarding How Rose and Company go back and forth, the Medusa Cascade, and the predictions recieved by Donna and  the Doctor in the Pompeii episode. One in particular was so detailed, its either serial killer fan fiction or the  real deal.

GhostMachine

Quote from: B A D on June 11, 2008, 08:08:09 AM
Yar, there are all kinds of floaty rumours out there regarding How Rose and Company go back and forth, the Medusa Cascade, and the predictions recieved by Donna and  the Doctor in the Pompeii episode. One in particular was so detailed, its either serial killer fan fiction or the  real deal.

The rumor I've heard the most is...

[spoiler]They're bringing Gallifrey and the other Time Lords back

And is anyone else sick of the Daleks and hope they don't use them at all next season? (Which will be specials instead of a regular season, since Tennant will be doing Shakespeare on stage)[/spoiler]

bredon7777

Episode 10,  Midnight while technically well done, is the most bleak and depressing thing I have EVER seen come out of Dr. Who; and it portrays human beings in the worst possible light I have ever seen on this show.

You have been warned.  Now, I have to find a bar and start drinking myself to death.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Next episode is supposed to heavily feature Rose.  In fact, the Doctor will barely be in it at all, just Rose and Donna.

Talavar

Quote from: bredon7777 on June 15, 2008, 06:46:37 AM
Episode 10,  Midnight while technically well done, is the most bleak and depressing thing I have EVER seen come out of Dr. Who; and it portrays human beings in the worst possible light I have ever seen on this show.

You have been warned.  Now, I have to find a bar and start drinking myself to death.

Midnight was a brilliant episode.  That makes the last 3 aired the best of the season so far.  And before you judge humans too harshly...

[spoiler]
It was a human who sacrificed herself to save the Doctor, after all.
[/spoiler]

Kommando

catwhowalksbyhimself

I should add the Kommando's link does contain spoilers.  Serious spoilers.

bredon7777

Quote from: Talavar on June 17, 2008, 08:29:00 AM
Quote from: bredon7777 on June 15, 2008, 06:46:37 AM

Midnight was a brilliant episode.  That makes the last 3 aired the best of the season so far.  And before you judge humans too harshly...

[spoiler]
It was a human who sacrificed herself to save the Doctor, after all.
[/spoiler]

*sneaking in a comment before the trip* 

See, that's my main problem with Midnight- I'm generally already convinced that most humans will act crappily in a crisis.  I watch Dr. Who to see the Doctor convince humans that they are BETTER than that, not to see that view validated.

|