• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Dragon Ball Z movie (live action)

Started by Midnite, April 10, 2008, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Dragon Ball Z set pics:
http://www.legroom.fr/cinema/des-pho...nball-le-film/

Let the hating begin!
I think the girl with the gun is Bulma. The actor playing Goku is the son from War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise).

Podmark

If this movie somehow manages to not be an abomination I willl be pleasantly surprised.
I was a big DBZ fan back in the day.

Alphanaut

Two things:

1) The movie appears to be based upon Dragonball and not Dragonball Z. Dragonball is based more upon Chinese mythology, and hence is a lot less ridiculous.

2) The link is giving me a 404 page because the url is ellipsed in the link. This one should work:
   http://www.legroom.fr/cinema/des-photos-de-dragonball-le-film/

What I'll never get is why they'll always seem to cast a Caucasian in a role that they don't racially qualify for. I mean, good job for Chatwin, and I always support Canadian actors, but wouldn't it of been better to have Son Goku, the lead character, played by someone of Chinese descent (or any sort of Asian descent, it seems if you go by the other people cast)?

BWPS

Can't wait to see who they get to play Vageta. Vageta. What does the scanner say about his power level?

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT 9000?

captainspud

When the aliens find the dried, dead husk of our planet, they will find Dragonball Z: The Movie posters amidst most of the rubble.

Alphanaut

Quote from: BWPS on April 10, 2008, 10:56:24 PM
Can't wait to see who they get to play Vageta. Vageta. What does the scanner say about his power level?
WHAT 9000?

No-one, because he doesn't figure into this part of the story.

House Quake

Quote from: Alphanaut on April 10, 2008, 05:24:44 PM
What I'll never get is why they'll always seem to cast a Caucasian in a role that they don't racially qualify for. I mean, good job for Chatwin, and I always support Canadian actors, but wouldn't it of been better to have Son Goku, the lead character, played by someone of Chinese descent (or any sort of Asian descent, it seems if you go by the other people cast)?

Well considering Goku is a Sayan (ie an alien) and not Chinese or any other Asian to begin with... should there really be much of a problem...?  He looks good for the role so isn't that all that should really matter?

Placebo

Quote from: Alphanaut on April 11, 2008, 06:43:21 AM
Quote from: BWPS on April 10, 2008, 10:56:24 PM
WHAT 9000?

No-one, because he doesn't figure into this part of the story.

on the subject of the villain, james marsters as king piccalo? I really dont see it working

Camma

I'm confused.  I loved Dragonball, DBZ ok but a little less, and then it jumps drastically downward from there.  But my confusion stems more from the quesiton of necessity.  Why do we need a live action movie.  Havent we had countless (and i mean that literally) hours of action (all for what maybe a dozen fights in all haha) and some straight to video movies.  So why?  Why ruin a landmark piece of animation by making it a live action movie and open up there very questions in this thread?  I will be surprised is this doesn't go the way of Super Mario Bros the Movie.

Previsionary

This "Dragonball" movie has been talked about since the 90s. I remember it being talked about in certain game related magazines and even screen shots being shown off. This isnt a DBZ movie, it's a Dragonball movie. For those that never read the manga or saw dragonball, it's not as action heavy and it doesnt have those extremely long/odd power up sequences. Also, no vegeta. This is pure Goku vs. Piccolo action. While I may not have high hopes for this movie...I do want to see how James marsters does the Piccolo voice..and by Piccolo, I mean the original dragonball Piccolo. Not his son that dominated DBZ.

Mowgli

Quote from: captainspud on April 11, 2008, 06:41:31 AM
When the aliens find the dried, dead husk of our planet, they will find Dragonball Z: The Movie posters amidst most of the rubble.

That is glorious. Thank you for the laugh. It's lamentably true, but still glorious that you pointed it out.

Podmark

Quote from: House Quake on April 11, 2008, 07:50:55 AM

Well considering Goku is a Sayan (ie an alien) and not Chinese or any other Asian to begin with... should there really be much of a problem...?  He looks good for the role so isn't that all that should really matter?

That's actually a valid point.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Marsters as Piccolo. It's like half my interest in this movie.

BentonGrey

Not to mention the fact that Goku is patently Caucasian looking in the shows.

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 11, 2008, 01:59:12 PM

That doesn't mean much. Most Animes don't stick to a distinctive asian look for their characters.

BentonGrey

All I mean is that the kid playing him looks like the animation come to life....it's sort of hard to fault that.

gengoro

Yay!  A new Power Rangers! :thumbup:

House Quake

Quote from: Podmark on April 11, 2008, 02:10:33 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on April 11, 2008, 01:59:12 PM

That doesn't mean much. Most Animes don't stick to a distinctive asian look for their characters.

While that is in all essence true... some Anime... including Dragonball do have a habit of strongly implying the ethnicity of some characters... to the point it can at times be comical.

[spoiler]
For instance... if you watched the Anime 'Bleach' as it currently comes out instead of the adult swim version... you would get a really good example of this.  At the beginning of the current story arc.. My girlfriend and I joked that the main characters had to rescue Inoue Orihime from Mexico!  Those who watch this Anime will get the joke  [/spoiler]

Previsionary

Yes, I agree with HQ. Anime may not stick to the Asian influence all the time, but they definitely point out ethnic characteristics from time to time. The only one coming immediately to mind from DB/DBZ is Mr. Popo...and that character obviously started some sort of controversy way back when. According to rumors, btb, Mr. Popo will be played by Ernest Lee Hudson

bat1987

Well, that was dissapointing.

[spoiler]Master Roshi is not an old man, and Piccollo is just...wrong![/spoiler]

BWPS

I now really doubt this movie is ever going to be released, if it is released, it should be under the title "Anime Movie".

the_ultimate_evil

now i don't know anything about dragonball, but my friend is a huge fan and says that is not piccolo, but lord piccolo so the colour is ok.  me personally as a design stand point it looks like a bad b movie vampire design

Previsionary

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on September 03, 2008, 02:51:58 PM
now i don't know anything about dragonball, but my friend is a huge fan and says that is not piccolo, but lord piccolo so the colour is ok.  me personally as a design stand point it looks like a bad b movie vampire design

King Piccolo is green so the color is still off. If the movie is good, these things are forgiveable. It is a live action universe, so I don't expect them to get...100% correct...heck, 45% would be good for Dragon Ball/DBZ considering all the crap they do. As long as they get rid of the 400 hours of charging and shouting out power levels...which wasn't done much in DB anyway.

Podmark

Well that wasn't any worse than I expected. Disappointed with their changes to Piccolo though.

Previsionary

Quote from: Midnite on October 03, 2008, 09:45:44 AM
Teaser

Yeah...that's quite an adaptation. It seems less "Dragonball" and more "martial arts movie with tons of special effects and a greenish man". If it was named something else entirely, I think it'd get a bit further in appealing to the audience.

Figure Fan

qazwsx

Regarding the whole race issue, it's true that most anime characters seem to non-asian looking most notably so in pokemon I guess(not proud of this knowledge :rolleyes:) but in dragonball they do pretty much look asian to me, and not just that, but from what I can remember, (I was like 7?) they had a very asianish culture too, they ate rice with chopsticks, dressed in funky chinese attire, and um I think the dragon was a chinese dragon aswell. Well I'm talking about the people anyway. Further adding to this point, the bloke who played the Keymaker is Goku's grandfather, but maybe they all went for some white arse from then on :lol: Let's face it, it's just because it's hollywood and they can do whatever the they want. Just look what happened to Terrence Howard. Hollywood doesn't tend to cast asians in lead roles unless it's jet li or jack chan and frankly, that would be much much much more horrible than whatever honkey is playing the role. So um, thank go for that.

Oh the film? :o Terrible idea I think, though I never read DBALLS, if it's anything similar to ZBALLS I question they're reasoning behind the need for such thing. I'd watch a live action simpsons before this rubbish in any case.

Previsionary

Dragonball is loosely based on "Journey to the West" which is a Chinese Classical novel. That explains the Chinese culture being shown so prominently in the series. Some of you may remember another Son Goku from that awesome *cough* show and cartoon known as...Monkey Magic/Monkey!