• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Skins/mesh installation

Started by Cdub, May 05, 2008, 09:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdub

No matter how many guides, FAQs, walkthroughs, and rants I read can't seem to figure out how to install any freaking skins/meshes!  :banghead:

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone would take time out of their busy schedule to help. And if you could give my a step by step process that'd be wonderful. (you can also PM me if you would like)

By the way, great forum!  :thumbup:

Jakew

I'll use an example.

In your "Character" file, you place characters ... eg, a folder called "Superman_REN".

In this "Superman_REN" folder, there is typically a character.nif (mesh/body), keyframes.kf (animations), and a folder that says "skins" (skin for the body).

Clicking on "skins", you should see another folder called "standard". If you have another skin you want to use, drop it in the "skins" folder, alongside (not in) "standard".

A good place to find complete meshes/skins/keyframes all in packages together is www.renegadetoybox.com

If you're still having trouble, post what you're doing step-by-step.

daglob

One thing Jakew left out was where the character folder was located. I'm not at home or I'd be more certain, but it should be in the FFv3R folder under Data, Custom, Library, Art, Characters (or something like that-I hope I'm not messing you up further). Once you find it, I would suggest that you put a link to your desktop (you'll use it).

In the character folder, a single mesh folder should look something like this"

Plasticman_tj
                 |_____Skins
                                 |____daglob
                                 |____elongatedman
                                 |____elongatedman2
                                 |____jigsaw
                                 |____Mr_Fantastic
                                 |____mr_gum
                                 |____Plas
                                 |____plasticman_ROS
                                 |____plasticman_sa
                                 |____shape
                                 |____standard

Under the character mesh name (plasticman_tj) are keyframes.kf, character.nif, and the skins folder.

Cdub

Thank you very much. I'm going to go try what you guys said. I'll edit my post when I do.

stumpy

Here is another example with tommyboy's Blok mesh, just to clarify the hierarchy in the Custom folder.

Cdub

I managed to dowloaded: Captain AMerica REN 1, Captain America GA REN, USAgent Omega, and  The Patriot, but USAgent and The Patriot just stand there. And I checked, there IS keyframes in both of there folders. Any help?

Jakew

By "just stand there", do you mean they have no animations (keyframe problem)? Or that they don't run over and attack baddies (AI problem)?

Cdub

Nevermind. I managed to find their keyframes. I was wondering why some meshes are just a white box with a black X on it? (And does anyone know where to find alot of good FX? [like for Carnage])

Jakew

GogglesPizanno

QuoteI was wondering why some meshes are just a white box with a black X on it?

I believe that usually happens when the game cant find the mesh in the expected location. Any characters you have that are like that you should check:

A) that the mesh is in the proper place within the folder structure (i.e. see the above posts and how to set up meshes and skins)

B) Open up the hero file in Alex's EZ Hero tool and make sure that the hero file is pointing to a mesh file that exists and that the path is correct. If you created a hero and then moved or renamed the mesh it's using, it would show up like you described.