• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Heroes Season 3

Started by Glitch Girl, May 09, 2008, 06:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

thalaw2

I saw Ep 4 and I was....unimpressed.  It just bothers me that Peter is so foolish. [spoiler] Why doesn't he just stop time and take care of business?  Why does he need to "feed" if he can copy anyone's power just by being around them?  Sylar's power is supposed to be knowing how things work and how to put pieces together...so wouldn't that mean that Peter can just unlock abilities he may not even know he has?[/spoiler]

Tortuga

Quote from: MJB on October 08, 2008, 02:38:45 PM
The full episode and a quick 2 minute recap are available at NBC.com.

-MJB

Not to viewers outside the US, it seems.  :angry:

Podmark

Quote from: Tortuga on October 08, 2008, 08:16:41 PM
Quote from: MJB on October 08, 2008, 02:38:45 PM
The full episode and a quick 2 minute recap are available at NBC.com.

-MJB

Not to viewers outside the US, it seems.  :angry:

As Adamence pointed out you can catch it on Global's site: http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/globalshows/heroes/video/index2.html

MJB

Whatever you do don't point out that Adamence is "right". He just can't handle that kind of pressure.

If anything say that you think Adamence could be right but he is so fundamentally wrong that you don't believe that to be the case.

In any respect I hope that Tort can find his video.

-MJB

MJB

Quote from: thalaw2 on October 08, 2008, 05:37:56 PM[spoiler] Why doesn't he just stop time and take care of business?  Why does he need to "feed" if he can copy anyone's power just by being around them?  Sylar's power is supposed to be knowing how things work and how to put pieces together...so wouldn't that mean that Peter can just unlock abilities he may not even know he has?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I feel that the "Peter needs to feed" plot is a poor attempt at character development.[/spoiler]

-MJB

Tortuga

Huzzah!  Thanks for the tip about Global.  We'll watch that later tonight.

bredon7777

Quote from: MJB on October 09, 2008, 01:14:41 AM
Quote from: thalaw2 on October 08, 2008, 05:37:56 PM[spoiler] Why doesn't he just stop time and take care of business?  Why does he need to "feed" if he can copy anyone's power just by being around them?  Sylar's power is supposed to be knowing how things work and how to put pieces together...so wouldn't that mean that Peter can just unlock abilities he may not even know he has?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I feel that the "Peter needs to feed" plot is a poor attempt at character development.[/spoiler]

-MJB

[spoiler]
No, the 'needing to feed' is another mistake they've made in handling Sylar.  It was a mistake to make him a regular, it was a bigger mistake to give him Claire's ability, and now they're compounding their mistake by attempting to "redeem" him; "Aww, poor Gabriel - it wasn't his fault. 'The Hunger' made him do it - even saintly Peter Petrelli nearly killed his own brother because of 'The Hunger'".   

Where's that barfing smiley?

There needs to be a knock-down, drag out between Sylar and Peter, and then Sylar needs to GO AWAY. For at least a full season, probably longer. You don't have to kill him, (though I'd prefer it if you did; or at the very least make him interesting again by having someone else get stuck inside his body), but these people need to find other challenges.

That said, I do like that they've expanded the power somewhat- it appears that Sylar can use his abilities to see not just how powers work, but how people work- what they intend to do, and what the consequences of their actions will be.  And Zach Quinto is a heck of an actor - he almost sold me on this storyline (despite my firm conviction that Sylar is a tired and massively overexposed villian). [/spoiler]

BWPS

Quote from: bredon7777 on October 09, 2008, 07:44:02 PM
Quote from: MJB on October 09, 2008, 01:14:41 AM

-MJB

[spoiler]
No, the 'needing to feed' is another mistake they've made in handling Sylar.  It was a mistake to make him a regular, it was a bigger mistake to give him Claire's ability, and now they're compounding their mistake by attempting to "redeem" him; "Aww, poor Gabriel - it wasn't his fault. 'The Hunger' made him do it - even saintly Peter Petrelli nearly killed his own brother because of 'The Hunger'".   

Where's that barfing smiley?

There needs to be a knock-down, drag out between Sylar and Peter, and then Sylar needs to GO AWAY. For at least a full season, probably longer. You don't have to kill him, (though I'd prefer it if you did; or at the very least make him interesting again by having someone else get stuck inside his body), but these people need to find other challenges.

That said, I do like that they've expanded the power somewhat- it appears that Sylar can use his abilities to see not just how powers work, but how people work- what they intend to do, and what the consequences of their actions will be.  And Zach Quinto is a heck of an actor - he almost sold me on this storyline (despite my firm conviction that Sylar is a tired and massively overexposed villian). [/spoiler]

[spoiler]That may be the problem that causes his overexposure. HRG and Sylar are by far the best actors on the show, followed probably by Hiro and Ando but it's kinda hard to tell with them because they have accents and speak Japanese a lot. They probably write him into the show so much because he's the best actor on the cast.[/spoiler]

My Pops told me that he knew Linda Crow in college, who plays Claire's mom and is married to the guy who played The Exploding Man in real life. Of course he's always saying stuff like that "I was in Norma Rae! See that guy in the brown shirt walking in the background? That's me! I won an Oscar." "Dad, just because you were an extra in the movie doesn't mean you get to share the Oscar." "Shows what you know! I was GOING PLACES back in the late 70s!" "Dad, you work security for a fiberglass plant." "Shaddyup you, I'll cane you good, Boy!" "You don't even have a cane!"

stumpy

bredon7777

Ok, the level of sheer WTF-erey is getting almost too high even for me, here.

Podmark

[spoiler]Did - Did Hiro just KILL Ando?!  :([/spoiler]

kkhohoho

Quote from: Podmark on October 13, 2008, 08:13:57 PM

I think it's just an act.

bredon7777

Quote from: Podmark on October 13, 2008, 08:13:57 PM

[spoiler]
I'm fairly sure he's rationalizing "I can go to the past, and make sure Ando lives."; despite SWEARING never to go into the past again three episodes ago.
[/spoiler]

Mr. Hamrick

[spoiler]try adam's blood healing ando.  that is if Ando is still gonna be around.[/spoiler]

cmdrkoenig67

Um...I may not be up to speed on this series (I've only seen a very few episodes), but none of these people strike me as heroic...I'm getting the feeling the series is mistitled.  I saw an episode tonight and it didn't make much sense to me...But everyone was trying to kill each other or thinking about killing another character...Not very heroic.

Dana

stumpy

Quote from: bredon7777 on October 13, 2008, 07:01:28 PMOk, the level of sheer WTF-erey is getting almost too high even for me, here.

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on October 14, 2008, 12:47:40 AMnone of these people strike me as heroic...

Well said, on both counts.

I am trying to think if there is a single person I actually even like at this point in the season... Joan, but she's been gone for most of it. At least Sylar/Gabriel is somewhat interesting.

[spoiler]BTW, I think Hiro did kill Ando. It's utterly out of character. Properly written, Hiro wouldn't be able to go through with the act of physically killing Ando, even if he did think he could retcon him back.[/spoiler]

I am really hoping they start to turn this around.

So... When is Lost back on the air?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just saw this episode, and most of it I like.  Most, I do have the same major problem as most of you.

[spoiler]
Maury Parkman as behind Linderman is a good revelation. I makes sense and it works.  The revelation that Mr. Petrelli is behind the whole thing is interesting too, and works.

Not so sure I like what they've done to Mohinder.  He was our everyman, our brilliant professor, and the person other characters could go to.  Now he's some kind of super-powered freak.  Why destroy a good character so needlessly?

I'm fine with Sylar's reform and Peter's struggles, but I do think Peter should not become a straight out villain.  Also, this adds the further problem of the two biggest powerhouses in the Heroes universe not being against each other, but the writers seem to have solved this problem by making them both oddly vulnerable to the weakest opponents.  Bascially, whenever they seriously outclass anyone they are going against and are supposed to have a fight, they suddenly become grossly incompetent, only to be seen as madly powerful the next scene over.  I mean, in earlier episodes Sylar takes on three of the badest villain around without even trying, then loses to one of them by himself a few scenes later.  What?

Hiro's stabbing Ando really takes the cake, though.  Hiro would never, ever do that.  Even the suspiciousness he's shown for Ando would never lead him their.  He'd say something about how heroes never sacrifice innocents or something of the sort.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying this in spite of some misgivings, and am interesting in what happens with Parkman/Petrelli's supergroup.
[/spoiler]

JeyNyce

Does anybody like the fact that/ or How do you feel about:

[spoiler]They fact that some of the Heroes/ Villains got their powers from experiments instead of being born with them?  If I getting this right, the first generation of heroes (adam, Parkman,peter & Nat's parents) were born with their powers and from there they try to recreate powers in their kids from experiments? [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Not exactly.

[spoiler]Mrs. Petrelli's revelation to Nathan indicates that their children sometimes, or maybe even usually, did inherit powers, just that he didn't.  Also, the formula hasn't been used for some time, so the younger powers are all natural.[/spoiler]

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 14, 2008, 10:02:11 AM
[spoiler]Mrs. Petrelli's revelation to Nathan indicates that their children sometimes, or maybe even usually, did inherit powers, just that he didn't.  Also, the formula hasn't been used for some time, so the younger powers are all natural.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]To be more precise about the inheritance of powers vs. giving them. The only people who we DO know were experimented on were Nathan and the Sanders sisters.[/spoiler]

I think there will be a lot of "switching sides" this season.  It's be said in interviews by the creators and even in the preview at the start of the season that all of the regular characters will be exhibiting "heroic" and "villainous" qualities.  Furthermore, I suspect that Angela and Arthur Petrelli are going to be the respective heads of two rival factions and by time volume 3 ends that there will be a lot of clear lines drawn between several characters that we have not expected before.

USAgent

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on October 14, 2008, 12:47:40 AM
Um...I may not be up to speed on this series (I've only seen a very few episodes), but none of these people strike me as heroic...I'm getting the feeling the series is mistitled.  I saw an episode tonight and it didn't make much sense to me...But everyone was trying to kill each other or thinking about killing another character...Not very heroic.

Dana

Well this season's series IS titled "Villains"

catwhowalksbyhimself

No, the first half of this season is "Villains."  We're halfway through that.  Volume 4 is the second half, and it is title "Fugitives" which sound like something's going to change at the end of Villains which ain't going to be so fun for some of the characters.

BWPS

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
[spoiler]WHY HIRO WHY?

I'M well aware that dying is meaningless in the show (unless you get vortex'D, but that will probably not happen very often now), YOU seem to of suddenly figured out that dying is meaningless in your show, BUT YOU CAN'T ZARKING STAB ANDO!
Why would he do this? Surely saying that he doesn't want to kill his partner isn't going to completely give away that he can't be trusted. And that fear-strength guy who has the worst powers ever isn't going to be even close to a match for him. I hope we're not supposed to believe that Hiro was so worried that Future Ando would kill him that he seriously stabbed Ando with no plans to bring him back. And I don't think that he was under mind control. So basically that was just stupid and out of character. Way to fail at writing Hiro, Writers. A good episode other than that. Though it kinda sucks that we don't have even ONE white knight character. Everyone either was evil, is evil, is being tricked by someone evil, did something evil, or will become evil in the future. In a show like this, I like to have someone that I can totally pull for because they're powerful, but always good, like Batman or Superman or Rorschach. Usually Hiro and Peter filled this role, and while it's interesting to see a dark side to them, now Sylar or Nathan is the nicest person on the show. [/spoiler]

Podmark

[spoiler]Hiro and Ando make the show for me, this was really evident in season 2 when they were separated for so long, so I'm very concerned about the latest development. Plus it's widely out of character on a few levels.

I actually don't have a problem with all the characters being bad to some degree as long as it's interesting, but Hiro just doesn't work as a bad guy. He's just too innocent and pure hearted.[/spoiler]

cmdrkoenig67

I agree...To me, Hiro seemed the most heroic of every character (besides the police officer) among the cast...I guess not so much now.

Dana

USAgent

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 14, 2008, 08:46:40 PM
No, the first half of this season is "Villains."  We're halfway through that.  Volume 4 is the second half, and it is title "Fugitives" which sound like something's going to change at the end of Villains which ain't going to be so fun for some of the characters.

[spoiler]Ah, never the less this season is still meant to be anything but heroic.

I did enjoy the fact that Linderman didnt really come back to life or has some other power to talk to people evev though he is dead, and having Parkman Sr. behing the Linderman illusions was a good idea. Since he can read minds he might be the only one that can communicate with Mr.Petrelli (other than Angela in her dreams) who seems to be in some kind of awake coma and can't function.  Its going to be interesting to see how or who put Petrelli Sr. in that state.  And speaking of Parkman we found out that Matt also can get people to think what ever he wants them too as well.

I was dissapointed to see Vortex guy leave, he was actually the only one that showed goodness in him in this episode (well and Claire). He really made me nervous with that type of power he has, he seems extremly powerfull and can do in about anyone.  I hope he can pull himself out of his own vortex, he seems like someone who will come back and save the day sometime.

Ando and Hiro? Its gotta be some kind of trickery.  Not enjoying Mohinder's story line right now, I crindge every time I see him and I can't believe Miya's death filed couldnt take him down once he attacked her.

And is Nathan and his with divorced? Because for a guy who claims to have found and talked with God he sure has a cheatin heart! hmm...I wonder if his two sons were ever tampered with after they were born as well???[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
QuoteI wonder if his two sons were ever tampered with after they were born as well???
Um, no. It's quite clear that the formula has not been used for a very long time.  I think it's safe to say that anyone much younger than Nathan was not experimented on.
[/spoiler]

House Quake

Wow... am really finding some of your comments to be quite interesting.  I'm so far really enjoying this season and the pace. 
[spoiler]
- Well for those of us who don't follow all the extras out side of the show... the suspicions that the big baddie was papa Petrelli is good to know.

- I don't believe for one moment that Hiro would just kill Ando.  I'm certain that they are faking it... having already known what would happen.

- There was always speculation about how the company knew that Claire (and a couple others) would develop powers before they did makes sense now.  I'm also pretty sure that in one of the episodes this season that the future conflict between the 'supers' was divided between the ones who were natural and the ones who were made.  So I'm going to assume everyone who was on the side of Claire and speed girl were all 'made'.  Also... any one who Petrelli goes after as well.  As it seams that he may have been the main person behind the experiments in the first place.

- The creepy fly story line is... well... freaky and IMO actually an interesting subplot.  It shows how a desire for power can really go wrong... tragically so. 

- I don't believe Peter will become a villain... he is just going through some... issues.[/spoiler]

MJB

Was anyone else ticked off at the fact that NBC ruined the shock ending of last weeks episode with their promos?

-MJB

thalaw2

This was  really good episode except...

[spoiler]I didn't like the ending.  Visions of Linderman?  That just seems like they're doing something really terrible.  I always suspected Papa was alive so it wasn't a huge surprise because he's mentioned too much to not be added into the story.  However, the way his powers seem to work could mean that Parkman is the 4th brother or at least a cousin..sigh! 

This show is getting too complicated and it really may have been better if they had just given the fans a showdown between Peter and Sylar insteod of all these twists and turns.[/spoiler]

|