Started by Midnite, June 12, 2008, 03:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Punisher: War Zone Teaser Trailer

They stole that mobster dinner scene from Batman Year One.  :(

lugaru

I guess I'll take the first stab at it.

As a comics nerd:

It looks a lot cooler than the last movie. I really liked Thomas Jane but Ray Stevenson looks like he just stepped out of a Tim Bradstreet cover. I wish he wasent wearing that much armor in every frame but It makes sense. It also looks like they are rolling back his origin to the shootout in the park instead of that insane "family reunion massacre" they went with in the first movie.

Movie Nerd Side:

It Screams Luc Besson (Very much Leon: The Professional) but instead it's directed by Lexi Alexander, who looks kind of cute as per IMDB. Aparently she's a martial arts afficionado and has directed some violent movies before so more power to her. The one thing I didint like are her color paletes, too much neon color filters. I've never understood why people keep using those colors in comic book movies, seriosly, what do tacky 90's color palettes have to do with comics?

GogglesPizanno

It looks less like a sequel and more like a re-do of the dolph lungren version to me... It just screams 80's Cannon Films.

Though i do miss Thomas Jane... I really liked him in the first one (even if the film itself was fairly weak)

Jakew

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/First-Punisher-War-Zone-Trailer-9151.html

Oh dear. This looks crap.

I was expecting something moderately realistic, ala Punisher MAX (since they are using a lot of MAX characters), but this looks even more cartoony than the Thomas Jane Punisher.

The "mobster dinner scene"/birthday is from the first Punisher MAX arc ... just not as cool  :(

Figure Fan

Aeegghhhh..

Hm.

I've got nothing at the moment. I kind of like the colors, actually. *shrugs*

Kommando

Punisher: War Zone - Getting Neutered?

According to LatinoReview Lionsgate is now looking to sterilize the 'Punisher War Zone' movie to a PG-13 cut.

Click the link for the full story...

GogglesPizanno

I read this yesterday which is totally silly because

A) Its a punisher movie, what exactly were they expecting??
B) Given the whole crappy vibe eminating form the entire production from (horrible script, no Thomas Jane, Director being fired during editing etc...) the only real buzz worthy thing it had going for it was that Red band excessively violent trailer that supposedly at least got the violence of the character right...

Not that this was gonna make any money realistically speaking (at least theatrically), you'd think they wouldn't want to be alienating the core fan base...

zuludelta

That LatinoReview article has got to be a joke of some kind. Who the hell wants to see a PG-13 Punisher movie?

Part of the upcoming Punisher movie's appeal is the wholesale violence... it's like watching a slasher movie except with the guy from Rome playing the "undying killer" role and mobsters instead of half-nekkid cheerleaders playing his victims.

Figure Fan

Anyone know what happened with Lexi Alexander???

I've never heard of a director being fired. Seems..crazy.

Talavar

Quote from: Figure Fan on August 15, 2008, 07:40:21 PM
Anyone know what happened with Lexi Alexander???

I've never heard of a director being fired. Seems..crazy.

It happens from time to time - they don't call it getting fired though, but they're occassionally replaced in the editing room - or sometimes earlier.  There's still no official word that Lexi Alexander is off the project though, so finding out why would be difficult I imagine.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteAnyone know what happened with Lexi Alexander???

Shes been missing for weeks because shes been on her "honeymoon" -- official studio statement.

Rumors started circulating about the disagreement between studio and director when she was verbally outspoken about how she didn't like the first trailer, and had no say in it and how it wasn't representative of the R rated movie that she made.

So whether she is off the film or not is still unclear, but the studio is definitely taking some of the creative control over it if they are wanting a PG-13.

Jakew

Ray Stevenson as the Punisher is the only thing in this film which interests me at this stage ...