• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Nintendo DS or PSP?

Started by Outcast, July 16, 2008, 01:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you guys prefer? The Nintendo DS or Playstation PSP?

Nintendo DS
17 (77.3%)
Playstation PSP
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Outcast

I have a friend who can't seem to make up his mind on what to buy.

Which do you guys prefer? The Nintendo DS or Playstation PSP?
Which do you think is better?  :)

lugaru

DS for me... so where do I vote?

YoungHeros

MJB

Lots of factors here. What types of games do you like? Serious PS2 type games or family friendly games?

There's other factors like would he be interested in putting videos, music or pictures on his handheld? If so then the PSP has that out of the box. The DS has a 3rd party add on that can be purchased separately that will do this. The PSP also has a internet browser built in while the DS doesn't.

On the other hand the PSP has HORRENDOUS load times and a short battery life.

Our children were lucky enough to get both the PSP and the DS as gifts. Today the touch screen on the DS doesn't work right (appears to be abuse) and it still gets played more than the PSP.

-MJB

BWPS

I don't have a PSP, but DS is the system I play more than anything else. It has a huge variety of awesome games, and homebrew enables it to do a lot more (though I haven't done any of that yet). DS is one of the best systems I've ever played, handheld or otherwise.

Carravaggio

I have both, have for a while. In the end it comes down to games, and what you like. DS has a whole buncha kids stuff, Dogz, fashion designer, princess peach, barbie mermaid island :P
You can't get God of War, silent hill or Symphony of the Night on the DS.

Outcast

Well this friend of mine actually owned a PSP once but sold it to buy a mini laptop or something. He said he grew tired of the games that were available for the PSP, saying that most of them were also available for his PS2. What he liked about the DS is that there seems to be a lot of original games made for it. But he also noticed much of these games are for kids and the graphics were not as good compared to the PSP.

He did mention to me that he liked some upcoming new games for the PSP. So i dunno why he says he still can't decide which one he'll buy?  :wacko:

Here in the Philippines though, the PSP is more popular. It's probably because of what MJB said, it can do more than just play games.

Lucky for me, I have both a DS and a PSP.  :P

Lycus

There are some very good games for older audiences (Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, Age of Empires), but don't be too quick to discount 'kids' games. I am 28 years old, among the games I am enjoying right now are Pokemon Diamond, Yu-Gi-Oh: World Championship, and Ben 10: Protector of Earth.

A few more you might consider: Advance Wars (Turn-Based Strategy), New Super Mario, MarioKart, The World Ends with You (RPG), Elite Beat Agents, Clubhouse Games (Collection of over 40 games), and the Marvel Trading Card Game (DS version doesn't require you to shell out extra for boosters).

AfghanAnt

I actually never go anyone without my DS lite. I'm actually on my third one (I've given the other two away). Also if you have a ds please buy The World Ends with You it is a excellent game.

UnfluffyBunny

psp has a few benefits... ie I imported the latest bleach game and final fantasy crisis core, but aside from that, it dousnt get any use, at first I used it to check my email alot cos it was faster than loading up a laptop, but I dont even do that anymore.
had a ds for about 2 weeks now and I love it, would reccomend getting  something "puzzley", I have a sudoku game and it's great to pick up and put down while cooking or catching a bus, trauma centre is great, i got my girlfriend addicted to it, my girlfriends housemate has a ds too so we've been playing 3 way bomberman and mario party :D

BatWing

DS!
oh and ds can do stuff also.

i have a r4ds that is working good for me, i can go on the internet and stuff like right now; but typing is such a pain in the arse.
if hes a anime fan, i recommend him to get jump ultimate stars.

BWPS

Quote from: Raijin on July 26, 2008, 09:36:09 PM
DS!
oh and ds can do stuff also.

i have a r4ds that is working good for me, i can go on the internet and stuff like right now; but typing is such a pain in the arse.
if hes a anime fan, i recommend him to get jump ultimate stars.

I just got my R4DS, and ScummVM DS, so I can play Monkey Island and Fate of Atlantis and all those, which work really great. I'm also surprised by the quality of the MP3 player.

detourne_me

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 25, 2008, 08:23:00 PM
I actually never go anyone without my DS lite. I'm actually on my third one (I've given the other two away). Also if you have a ds please buy The World Ends with You it is a excellent game.
seriously, i can't recommend that game enough.
it's just so fun and has one of the best storylines i've played in any game across any console/platform.

i really liked the iron man ds game.  it's kind of like an "Asteroid" type game where you fly around and shoot at helicopters while dodging their bullets.
it's one of the few games i've beaten and am playing through again.
(i've beaten TWEWY, but i'm waiting a bit so i lose memory of the story,  when i play it through again it'll be more fun)
also i really like final fantasy IV and tales of innocence

BatWing

metal slug is coming out for ds!

AfghanAnt

Quote from: detourne_me on August 21, 2008, 11:39:15 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 25, 2008, 08:23:00 PM
seriously, i can't recommend that game enough.
it's just so fun and has one of the best storylines i've played in any game across any console/platform.

I was so surprised about how much fun I had playing this game and how addictive it was. It is so odd but when I went to buy it the guy told me I'd probably return it because it is so hard. I didn't think it was very hard at all. I really hope Square Enix does more games like that one.

BatWing

square enix games are kinda hard and challenging.
they are really fun and worth it tho.

detourne_me

i really thought final fantasy 12 revenant wings was really hard,  i've been doing pretty good with the other FF games too,  but TWEWY has so many scales of difficulty i thought it was great  (honestly i never controlled my partner much though,   usually autopilot for beat and joshua

Previsionary

Quote from: detourne_me on August 29, 2008, 11:03:27 AM
i really thought final fantasy 12 revenant wings was really hard,  i've been doing pretty good with the other FF games too,  but TWEWY has so many scales of difficulty i thought it was great  (honestly i never controlled my partner much though,   usually autopilot for beat and joshua

Hard? Get off my lawn! :P Maybe you need to play the Japanese version as it's toned down compared to the other releases of the game. ^^

AfghanAnt

I thought Rev Wings was hard too. I'm loving FF4 though, so much better FF3.

BatWing

ff rev wings is so awesome i love the battle system!

AfghanAnt

Quote from: BatWing on September 13, 2008, 07:31:30 PM
ff rev wings is so awesome i love the battle system!

That game was honestly the only spin-off FF game I've ever hated that is including the terrible Mystic Quest for SNES. I really did not like the battle system.

BatWing

AA WHY!
i really like it, its like leading an army yo fo sho!

and and!

kingdom hearts 218/2 days is coming out!
4 players yo!

Blitzgott

I've voted for Nintendo DS.