• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Who will survive the online war

Started by Mike B, July 20, 2008, 03:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike B

Ok so is there room in the mmo universe for 3 superhero based games.
City of Heros,Champions Online,and dc comics online.Oh and by the way dc now has a my space page with updates and trailers http://www.myspace.com/dcuo.
I might add the artwork fr dcuo looks preety darn good(well batman does anyway).
there are 20million people(at last count) that play mmo's of which 12million of those play wow(damm them).
So can and will the world of mmo's support 3 superhero based games,and if not who do you think will survive.
As of right now COH hasthe advantage but CO is coming up fast and might even be able to pull some of the die hard COH players over to there side.
And last but not least let us not forget DC,they have the name,fan base(comic readers)and the big green moolas to back them up.
I think and i could be wrong it will end up like this
1:DC(just cause of name and comic history)
2:right behind DC will be Champions(they have history also with board game)
And last COH(sorry to all you COH players,no offense meant)
So what do you think will happen in the superhero online war for players and who might not survive

Alaric

I don't see why there can't be several successful super hero-based MMORPGs out there- I mean, how many fantasy-based ones are there now? It's just another genre- and one with, potentially, an enormous amount of variety. I think the key to mutual survival will be the ability of each game to play to its strengths and differentiate itself from the others. I think the CoH team have already started thinking this way- they no longer see their game as THE super hero game, which has to be what everyone wants from a super hero game, and instead they're trying to improve the game within its own context. As long as each game does this, they should all be able to coexist.

As for which game will do best, I think it's too early to tell. I should point out, though, that both DC and Marvel have had several different pen 'n paper RPGs on the market without actually dominating said market, so the name/comic history thing won't automatically put DC on top. Also, CoH already has a thriving community of players, which does give them some advantage, and they have the added advantage of being the first successful super hero MMORPG- much as Champions has always had the advantage of being the first successful pen 'n paper super hero RPG.

Personally, I have the feeling that I'm going to like Champions Online best, though. I'll probably try to keep my CoH account active long enough to get the 5-year vet reward, then deactivate it.

UnkoMan

I've got my eye towards CO for similar reasons.

I'd also like to mention that, generally, DC games are fairly bad. I liked Batman Returns on the SNES, but mostly? Pretty bad.

The Dream

Im not sure how COH will continue doing well. From all that I have read Champions has all of the good qualities that COH has and they are going to implement the things that we always wanted to see in COH (power customization). I agree with Alaric that Champions will probably be the game I would most enjoy, but I am realling hoping that I am wrong and DC ends up being the better product. As I have said before, already owning a PS3 and an outdated laptop computer DC would be the most practical for me personally. I really dont want to purchase a new computer just to play one game. But I am really concerned that DC will rely heavily on their name recognition and not have much depth in their game.