• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Leaked Wolverine Trailer

Started by GogglesPizanno, July 28, 2008, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Well, obviously you can't have a big guy with a mink wrapped around his neck, dressed in orange spandex, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have done SOMETHING to indicate that hey, this character is the same one from the comics.  Just making him look a bit more hairy and...I don't know BLOND!   :P

GogglesPizanno

Much as a lot of people had issues with gambit... Im gonna go the other way and be the guy who doesn't have a problem with sabertooth.  :D

I do still have an issue with cramming in every character and X-men in-joke known to man. It just fills up a movie with winks and nods and usually just detracts form the those lesser things like story and plot (ie. X3). Dont get me wrong it looks like a cool comic book type of movie, Im just really hoping it doesn't suffer from the X3 problems.

docdelorean88

I too have a problem with sabertooth. The man is a big grizzly hairy thing. This guy isn't. Whatever, i guess if his humungous hair growth is scienctific mutaion related then i hope they show it. I probably wouldn't have such a problem if they hadn't already esablished him in the other movies as a man bear wolve tiger cat thing. I mean if they don't show it, they will have one heck of a time trying to write it to work up to the preceding future storylines! Just think while the first showing is going on, somewhere around the world, somone is watching X1 and suddenly, sabertooths beard/fur/coat(?) dissapears! This change could alter the very fabric of time itself! Talk about paradoxial(here comes the Doc Brown Lingo. This is heavy! Now Marty McFly?! Great Scott![It's a vicious cylce :lol:])!

Gambit. A personal favorite if only for his romantic French-Johnny Reb accent! I think he is well cast. If there is anything i wish was in it is the same as every one else. that great comic book/90's cartoon suit he wore.

I'll say this for it. It certainly has a different vibe. I think it will be a good different though. At the very least it will lead to better movies no related to the X-Franchise. Think WWII...

That's right, The First Avenger: Captain America. Lets not forget Wolvie and Cap were WWII budies!
Quick side note: In The First Avenger: Captain America, Logan could easily even as a cameo establish a role as caps best friend. Find a reason for cap to be frozen, show logan talking to govt officials about caps freezing/logans work, cap is on ice at the end, and in the begining of the Avengers movie he is thawed.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteAt the very least it will lead to better movies no related to the X-Franchise.

Oh I beg to differ... if this thing makes a bunch of money you will see "X" films being greenlit out the wazoo,.

Previsionary

for comparison sake so people can stop assuming that Sabretooth always looked like one of his various iconic looks, this is how he looked when he first showed up in comics:

As you can see, he wasn't always a huge, hairy mongrel. And now I'll go back to ignoring this thread. ^_-_o

BentonGrey

Umm........sorry Prev, but I've gotta' say he doesn't look that much different than iconic Sabertooth.  He still looks big, feral, hairy, and BLOND.  He's even still got the 'fur' on his suit.  Heck, the least they could have done was given the actor an orange shirt to wear... :mellow:

Previsionary

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 16, 2008, 09:11:54 PM
Umm........sorry Prev, but I've gotta' say he doesn't look that much different than iconic Sabertooth.  He still looks big, feral, hairy, and BLOND.  He's even still got the 'fur' on his suit.  Heck, the least they could have done was given the actor an orange shirt to wear... :mellow:

He was beefed up considerably once he became Wolverine's rival and his backstory was fleshed out.

And since this is the movie verse, I don't think he has to look 100% like his comic/toon counterparts, but then again, I wouldn't find a reason to complain about it anyway unless I couldn't tell who the character was or it was set AFTER X-men 1-3. *shrugs*

Also, this is set in Weapon X...he wouldn't be wearing orange at that time. He was wearing black...or that's how I remember it. :P

BentonGrey

Yeah, he does look beefier in that shot, but still he looks like a relatively big guy in the first images.  Now, don't get me wrong, like we've talked about before I don't want to see comic accurate costumes.  I just want to see something that looks like it MIGHT not be street clothes.  As for not being able to tell it was Sabertooth, well to tell you the truth, if I hadn't KNOWN that Sabertooth was in that trailer, I might not have recognized him.  As it was, I still didn't know until he opened his mouth and had fangs.  I don't want to see ANYONE in orange spandex in real life, but it would be nice if they made some effort to make him recognizable as that character.  I just don't buy into the all-or-nothing mindset that seems to be the established relationship of fans to studio.  To make it realistic you don't have to remove all aspects of the characters visual representation.

Podmark

For the record Sabretooth has sported looks that do not include fur and such.

For example his AoA/Exile look:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/79723-171323-sabretooth_super.jpg

And his Weapon X look:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/187435-124849-sabretooth_super.jpg

Also I think they're purposely avoiding relying on costumes for this film. It's not that kind of story.

BentonGrey

Still-big, blond, hairy.  Ha, once again, I'm not saying that they should be dressed in spandex, and they don't have to RELY on costumes, but they could provide visual cues that would blend seamlessly into their setting and be completely unrecognized by non-fans, but which would show that they do care about the characters visual portrayal (arguably almost as important as their characterization in the books they populate). 

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on December 16, 2008, 09:41:14 PM
For the record Sabretooth has sported looks that do not include fur and such.

For example his AoA/Exile look:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/79723-171323-sabretooth_super.jpg

And his Weapon X look:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/187435-124849-sabretooth_super.jpg

Also I think they're purposely avoiding relying on costumes for this film. It's not that kind of story.

Indeed...and as I said, before he became a full time villain...he wore "black". Not orange and fur (since you mentioned he should wear an orange shirt...silly). This goes all the way back to Team X up until Weapon X, iirc my timeline correctly. So, if they're going off the comic timeline, the look is fairly accurate. Heck, he could get bigger in the movie too since, ya know, Weapon X might experiment on him. There's no info to say whether or not that happens, so until more info on that is thrown out, I think it's fair to hold off on the constant complaining about it. So, it leaves me wondering how one can complain about not honoring the character visually just because they're not taking cues from his iconic looks. Fair question, tis it not? What visual cues do you want other than blond hair and a massive size? He has teeth. He'll have his claws (most likely). He'll be psychotic...what more do you need? And him wearing a bunch of street clothes is in-character for him and Logan otherwise he'd be wearing tons of leather with a bunch of attachments. :P

Also, I'm confused on your usage of hairy. Are you speaking body hair or what? It seems to change depending on the image posted.

BentonGrey

The hairy part was mostly facetious.  I have ceded the point about orange given the Weapon X setting (although I have to say that it is a color infinitely associated with the character), but from what we know about the story and what I can tell from the scene where he and Logan square off, that certainly seems to be POST Weapon X.  Note, Wolverine has his claws.  This is, admittedly, a somewhat dubious assumption, but I don't believe I'm being wildly outlandish here.  I also am not speaking only about Sabertooth in my desire for something resembling costumes.  The conversation has focused on him since I find his character design in the movie to be rather disappointing (as do others), and I'm afraid my defense of that view has now given the impression that I'm 'constantly complaining' about him.  Nevertheless, I would really have liked it if they had at least cast a blond actor (also, one who was big enough to be physically imposing when put next to Wolverine).  That kind of thing irks me a great deal.

Previsionary

just to point out, I didn't clarify you as constantly complaining. It was a generic comment. Keep it generic please. :P

Podmark

Yeah I'm not impressed visually based off the trailer with Sabretooth. He doesn't look tough enough...or maybe it's menacing enough. Something seems off.

Gambit I liked, he's got the look - hair, coat, cards, staff - but in something that fits what I think the film will be like.

Deadpool though, you gotta do better than just a red t-shirt (and I expect they will). I probably sound a little hypocritical because I'm ok with street clothes for everyone else, but without something more resembling his costume it just doesn't get across the charm of Deadpool.

GogglesPizanno

Who wants to see Prev in an orange spandex body suit with a fur collar??

*RAISES HAND WILDLY*

BentonGrey

Ha, alright Prev, I just wanted to make clear that I haven't been posting about Sabertooth for the last dozen posts because I was so zealously devoted to his costume, but because I was trying to defend my original statement.  

Pod, I agree.  Gambit doesn't look bad (from what little I've seen) and I am just happy that he's got the coat.  From the all-to-brief scenes in that trailer, I think that he works as an excellent example of what I'm talking about.  What is Gambit's classic look?  He wears a brown trench coat, purple shirt, and black pants.  As far as I could tell, he was wearing a brown trench coat and a purple shirt, albeit not a spandex one.  That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  He's instantly recognizable AS the character he is playing.  Heck, at least he's got brown hair and is about the same build!

As far as Deadpool, if they've got the mask and a tac-suit with some red, I'll be happy.  They claim that he WILL have something of a costume, although "they" also claimed that Galactus wouldn't be a big, amorphous space-cloud, 'cause hey, they had a MUCH better idea than that!

(I think he may deserve that, Goggles...)

murs47

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on December 16, 2008, 10:36:38 PM

*RAISES HAND WILDLY*

*jumps in the air* Me! Me! Me! I'll bring the one dollar bills!

Anyways, I have no problem with Sabretooth's movie attire. In fact, I like it more then his comic book cave-man look. As long as he hates Wolverine, snaps people's necks, and tells people "scream for me" before un-necessarily killing them, I'm satisfied. It's about character, not clothes...leave that stuff to Joan Rivers.

Previsionary

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on December 16, 2008, 10:36:38 PM

*RAISES HAND WILDLY*

I'll totally do that! The same day you have 6 baby wolverines and 2 baby sabretooths (at the same time) and Benton denies his love of Aquaman and declares his devotion to Namor. This all has to happen on the same day though. Why 6 wolverines, you ask, Shirley? Duh, it explains how he can appear so often. Now...if you both can get that done...I'll actually consider this costume thing...

and promptly deny it.

As for gambit, yes he may be recognizable, but he's only worn 3-4 costumes most of his career. There's not much to choose from there. And his costumes (if you want to call 'em that) are street based, so it's not a tough find for him. Other than the build/hair for Sabretooth, they wouldn't really be able to pull off his iconic looks unless they went ultimate...which is street clothes and a lot of leather. :P

BentonGrey

The Sabertooth issue is size, hair color, and all-around intimidation, not really clothes.  Also, I take back everything I said about Gambit.  I just watched the trailer again, and he's got a black trench coat.  Come on, is it that hard to give him a brown freakin' coat?  I know that is REALLY minor, and it wouldn't bother me except for what I just finished typing.  His looks translates so well to live action, why NOT just translate it directly?  Bah, that won't affect the movie, nor my enjoyment of it, but it just reestablishes something that I already knew...Hollywood is full of idiots.

Podmark

I don't think it was even a trench Benton. They seem to be going for a very sauve aspect of the character, which I like. The grimier version is so 90s.

Mystik

sabertooth always looks big in the comics because wolvies a midget and hugh jackman is 6'1 or something like that

secondly the look for sabertooth is presumably inspired from the weapon x comics
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/e/e5/CoverWeaponX1.jpg/300px-CoverWeaponX1.jpg

GogglesPizanno

As Mystik brought up... you remember back when X-Men came out and everyone was like Hugh Jackman? Who's that guy? Hes like over 6 foot... that sucks... this blows... worst casting decision ever.... etc... etc....

Podmark

Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine. He's not the prefect representation of the comics but he's still very enjoyable.

And yeah Jackman's height does make casting a large Sabretooth a little harder.

thanoson

I always wondered if Danzig could have pulled of Wolverine given the chance. He was tailormade for that role. If only he could act.

BWPS

Interview with will.I.am from superherohype.com

Quote from: Ariticle
CS/SHH!: How does acting compare to performing?

will.i.am: It's surreal, man. I'm a musician, and I love to perform live, but being part of this movie is such a big deal to me. I do get to rhyme a little in the movie though.

CS/SHH!: You rap in the movie?

will.i.am: Yeah, for a couple minutes I break out with some hip-hop. I thought it'd be a good idea to put some of that in for the fans, and [Hood] was like, "Go for it". I think y'all will dig it.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=5434

:thumbdown:

BentonGrey

Who is this loser?

:EDIT: I ask because that link doesn't seem to work.

As for the issue of Jackman's height: that is a good point, and something I have thought about.  Still, I think that they could have found SOMEONE who was bigger than him, plus it isn't exactly beyond the ability of a film to make someone seem bigger than they are...Lord of the Rings? ;)  Anyway, Jackman is a great Wolverine, so I have no problem with his height.

I do like some of the small touches I've seen in that trailer, like the smiley face Sabertooth craves...I seem to remember that being straight out of the comics.

GogglesPizanno

Exactly. My point wasn't that its hard to find someone bigger than Hugh Jackman... I just meant that everyone went gonzo back when he was cast cause he seemed so NOT the character, and then he ran with it, and everyone was like... yeah, ok we might have been wrong.

Same thing with Sabertooth, I would much rather have an actor who doesn't seem to match the visual but can nail the character as a performance, in lieu of an actor who looks the part, but cant act.

BentonGrey

Well, to be fair Goggles, when I (not being able to speak for "everyone") saw pictures of Jackman in costume, with the hair and the chops, I thought he looked SPOT ON like the character.  However, after seeing this guy in "costume" I don't feel that way at all. 

TheMarvell

Will.I.Am. is some rap/hip hop musician that is apparently in the movie. Great...a freaking rap scene? I hope that gets put on the cutting room floor and becomes a "deleted scene" on the dvd, cus good god, Marvel should have learned from their mistakes in Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2.

As for Sabertooth, his hair color doesn't mean anything to me. It's the fact that, well, he doesn't look like a menacing beast. He has short hair and fangs, and doesn't look anything like he did in X1. He just doesn't look intimidating in the least. He might be a good actor, but as a superhero fan, I like my heros and villains to at least resemble the character. They don't have to look verbatim, but I want to see the character and say "oh yeah, that's the movie version of whoever!". Not "wait, who's that guy standing with Wolverine in WW2? ... is that really supposed to be Sabertooth?"

but again, I might love this "version" of the character after I see the movie. But the trailer is not convincing for Sabertooth.

Previsionary

Quote from: TheMarvell on December 17, 2008, 05:40:38 PM
Will.I.Am. is some rap/hip hop musician that is apparently in the movie. Great...a freaking rap scene? I hope that gets put on the cutting room floor and becomes a "deleted scene" on the dvd, cus good god, Marvel should have learned from their mistakes in Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2.

That's a logic jump...and pretty insulting. If this "rap scene" isn't in the movie, I'll destroy humanity...more so than it already is. ^^

But seriously, what makes you think that just because he's a rapper/producer/hip-hop artist that he's automatically going to rap as well? When you see Will Smith in a movie do you go, "no way! A friggin' old school rapper in a movie about a homeless person? What, is he gonna rap for money?!"

|