• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Batman: Arkham Aslyum

Started by Midnite, August 12, 2008, 01:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

This is an Eidos game...not the Pandemic TDK project. The Kotaku report says the game their insider played was an open world sandbox game...I'm presuming that the Game Informer cover might instead depict the rumored game based on the comic book license (acquired by Eidos) and not the limboed TDK project.

Game Informer

QuoteGame Informer subscribers are in for a real treat this month. We're proud to bring you the world-exclusive first look at Batman: Arkham Asylum from Rocksteady Studios and Eidos. This completely original title explores Gotham City's darkest location, the infamous Arkham Asylum. But as a routine prison transfer goes wrong, the Joker sets his demented plan into action and Batman comes face to face with an army of his worst enemies. In a dark and gritty setting reminiscent of Bioshock (with a story co-written by Paul Dini), Arkham Asylum is setting the stage for a true-to-character Batman game...

Countdown @ Rocksteady Studios:  Linky

bat1987

Awesome! It looks promising!

I`m just hoping they don`t screw this one up, like most other Batman games.

Midnite

Let the hype begin.
(This is someone else's paraphrasing of the Game Informer article)

Batman: Arkham Asylum
1 Player Action Game
Platforms: PS3, 360, PC
Publisher: Eidos
Developer: Rocksteady Sudios
Release: 2009

- Clever choice of location moves the game away from an open world Spider-Man clone and more into the dark and gritty realm of The Chronicles of Riddick.

- Packed with Batman's most dangerous archenemies Arkham Asylum boasts a brand new story reminiscent of the depth and twists of Bioshock

- Story is written by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Detective Comics)

- Wildstorm is crafting the authentic yet distinct new look for all the key characters

- Gameplay places just as much focus on Batman's role as a detective as his combat prowess.

- Game isn't being rushed to tie in with any TV/Film marketing cycles.

- Game runs on Unreal Engine 3

- Most of the game is played through an over-the-shoulder perspective

- You're going to see and get to fight against all the big super villains. Seen so far. Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Zsasz, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and others the magazine doesn't want to spoil.

- Allies revealed so far are Commissioner Gordon who plays a big role and Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle) who is your radio contact in the game.

- Game opens with the Joker surrendering himself and subsequently taking over Arkham because of some secret the facility holds

- Magazine teases that this game will be the ultimate Batman experience so the voice cast will reflect that (Think Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill).

- Arkham was chosen as a location because of its limitations including the fact that it's an island prison. It's a persistent location so you can visit any location at anytime including Batman's secret on site Bat Cave etc. Don't think that just because this is an island prison there will only be small hallways. The developers have taken into account all the construction/destruction of the facility over the years so locals will vary.

- Eidos' Batman license includes all 70 years of comic book fiction so they're pulling from all of that.

COMBAT

- Boss Battles won't necessarily be a series of straight pugilistic fights. Each enemy represents a different side of Batman and not all of them can match his wide skill set. Some battles are focused on combat others will focus on gadgets some are similar to giant Zelda style bosses.

- Combat description in the magazine talks about Batman perched on a high ledge in a wide open room as he watches some of the Joker's thugs rifle through drawers. Batman switches to investigation mode using a blue tinted visor that among other things lets Batman see his enemies through walls and identifies things like guns and knives. One thug is carrying a machine gun so Batman jumps of the ledge, spreads his cape and kicks him in the face. He then swipes his cape in a large arc to stun his other enemies and then goes to work on them with a stylish blend of punches, kicks, a knee to the face here a behind the back elbow there. Combat has a gymnastic flourish and is accomplished using only three buttons. Attack, Stun and Throw.

- Combat is only one element of the game so the developers didn't want a bunch of button combos that you'd forget because you'll be doing other things besides fighting.

- During battle a combo multiplier at the top of the screen will increase with every strike. Once the combo expires a colony of bats will swirl around Batman and then contribute to an experience bar on the left side of the screen. In an RPG like skill tree system players will be able to distribute points where they prefer. Think Combat moves, faster takedowns, or gadget upgrades like the ability to throw multiple batarangs at the same time.

- Gadgets are revealed by collecting items in secret rooms. You'll need gadgets to survive as there are very tough enemies in the game that you can't just go head to head with (Think Killer Croc, he's 10 feet tall in the game and super tough)

- There are sections that involve sneaking but the developers call them Predatory gameplay sections as stealth tends to imply weakness, they prefer to think of it as picking off the weak people or people you wouldn't last too long in direct fight with from strong positions. The example they give in the article is Batman creating distractions with bodies and victim's yells and then stalking the guards as they go to inspect.

DETECTIVE

- Developers have come up with a very "sexy" CSI style for forensic puzzles because Batman will always have the very latest gadgets.

- Investigative mode is the centerpiece in Batman's arsenal. The visor can highlight points of interest and much like the Metroid Prime games will scan items into your database.

- They also mention another forensic gadget, a fingerprint tracker that allow Batman to follow trails of fingerprints.

OTHER

- Magazine hints at the ability to play as the villains in the game. Not sure if this is inserted directly into the game or available as a second playthrough option.

- Magazine lists a few suggested reading items. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: The Last Arkham, and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.

GRAPHICS

- Game is very gritty looking. The screens in the mag are all inside Arkham and show case a few hallways, The Riddler's cell, A sewer etc. Lots of great lighting going on.

- Character redesigns are pretty good for the most part. Joker looks like classic Joker only with Heath Ledger style make up (long drawn on red lipstick etc.) he still has a the bright purple suit and bright green hair. Definitely more sinister looking than say the TAS Joker. Killer Croc is huge and looks more like Jim Lee's Hush redesign as opposed to some of the more human renditions of him.

- Batman is in the Black and Grey costume. It looks more like armor however his gauntlets in particular look like the ones from TDK. Overall it looks very awesome.

- They show screens of fights and predator segments and all look very interesting and very Batman in scope. Lots of classic poses etc.

- You can control Batarangs from first person mode.

BWPS

Yeah that's cool and all, but is he a lego?

I'm trying really hard to NOT get excited about this. They haven't been able to make good Batman game in a long time. But man it looks so cool.

Glitch Girl

Quote- Story is written by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Detective Comics)

That got my attention.  Gonna have to watch for this one.

Camma

Some nice stuff there, i hope it will live up to what they printed.  Although there really has been a great batman game, this one sounds like it could do it, finally.  I really like the plans for the forenzic puzzle solving feature, that should give the game much more depth like a KOTOR or Mass Effect kind of game.

Sevenforce

Finally! Gamers who understand batman is Detective > Combatant.

I will not hope, I will not hope...

*picks up pieces of fanboy heart

Excuse me I have something in my eye!

bredon7777

Looks awesome, but since when is Killer crock triple Batman's height?

Midnite

Midnite

Hi-Res images, 10 pages.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

bat1987

OMG! (screams like little girl)

Previsionary

Those pics look good for a bat game. Midnite, may I suggest you warn about large images next time or hide them behind spoiler tags? It almost killed my connection before (was on a slower connection) because it was loading up with the other "recent" posts. ^_^

Midnite

Quote from: Previsionary on August 14, 2008, 12:05:55 PM
Those pics look good for a bat game. Midnite, may I suggest you warn about large images next time or hide them behind spoiler tags? It almost killed my connection before (was on a slower connection) because it was loading up with the other "recent" posts. ^_^

Sorry about that.

bredon7777

You owe me a new keyboard dude, as I have just gotten drool all over this one :P

Seriously, thanks for scanning that in.

electro

This looks great - picking the Unreal engine was a good idea - Hopefully this will be the first Batman game worth a damn :blink:

Midnite

GameInformer interview with Paul Dini:

Exclusive Batman: Arkham Asylum Interview

Paul Dini got his start in the Batman universe with the acclaimed Batman: The Animated Series, which he wrote, produced and edited throughout its run. Since then, he's worked with the animated series Batman Beyond, the television show Lost and DC's Detective Comics. We spoke with Dini about his work in video games over the years, including his latest job writing Arkham Asylum.

Q: There have been several games based on your Batman animated projects. Were you much involved in any of them? What's your general impression of them?
A: They have all been interesting to a degree, though some were better than others. There was a Sega Adventures of Batman and Robin game that I worked on with the Batman Animated staff. You would watch part of a specially created episode, then it would go into game mode. I wrote the animated parts. They were animated by TMS in Japan and they looked pretty good. Unfortunately, that game came out close to a shift in technology, so it went obsolete pretty quickly. I don't think many people saw it.

Q: What was your first thought when you were initially approached to help write Arkham Asylum? Any reservations?
A: None. I thought the Asylum was a tremendous location for a game. I couldn't wait to check myself in and have fun!

Q: What was it about the game concept/Rocksteady team that convinced you to sign on?
A: One look at the artwork told me that they understood every detail of Batman's world. It's dark and grim, but has just enough of a bizarre skew to put it on a par with the best-looking graphic novels. The character design, created in conjunction with Wildstorm studios, is just as dynamic and groundbreaking. They came up with brand new theories on the construction of Batman's costume, the physics of how it's put together and what it can do. It's very cool.

Q: Obviously, you've spent many years writing Batman for television and comics. How does writing for a video game like Arkham Asylum differ from these other formats? Did you find any unforeseen storytelling limits or freedoms?
A: This is first and foremost a game. The story elements can't overshadow that, or else you'll have bored gamers, and no one wants that. The story is straight forward– while returning the Joker to Arkham Asylum, Batman finds himself in what is essentially the world's most dangerous prison riot. It's not a game version of the original Arkham Asylum graphic novel. That said, there will be lots of interaction between Batman and his enemies, as well as a fair amount of forensic work Batman must to do to unravel clues. There are alliances, betrayals and a few tragic turns that will take players by surprise. So while it will not be told in the same rhythm and style of the motion picture storytelling, both hardcore Batman fans and serious players will find plenty to like both in terms of the character depth and the intensity of game play.

Q: We understand that you spent a few days at Rocksteady's studio hashing out the main story with the team. What was that process like?
A: It was very collaborative, very open and friendly. Seriously, Rocksteady has a great team and I was happy to work with their in house writer Paul Crocker to flesh out the intricacy of Arkham and its crazed denizens. The thing I learned quickly was what might make a stunning set piece in a cartoon or movie may not translate the same way in a game. Paul and the Rocksteady team were great at getting me in synch with the realities of game construction, and I think we have a pretty spectacular game experience in the works.

Q: Considering the relatively large number of marquee villains in the game, is it challenging to ensure that they all offer their own compelling element to the story while maintaining a cohesive overall arc?
A: Oh yeah. You want to make sure everybody gets their chance to shine. Joker of course, is the mastermind behind it all, so he has, I would say, the lion's share of the villain time. Other villains are featured throughout, including Killer Croc, Victor Zsasz and Harley Quinn. If you thought the Joker's turn as a nurse in the new Dark Knight film was outrageous, wait until you get a load of Harley in uniform!

Q: Would you like to see some of the voice actors you've worked with over the years (Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill and Arleen Sorkin, for example) appear in the game?
A: Absolutely! That's my dream cast. The look and feel of the game is much darker and more real world looking than we ever attempted in animation. Also the characters are darker, and none of the villains bat an eye when it comes to taking out the innocents trapped in the Asylum. That said, we have a professional cast that is more than up to the challenge of playing the characters, and giving them the edge they need in this new life-or-death environment.

Hi-Res images

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

GrizzlyBearTalon

Got this issue just a few days back, but man that new pic of killer croc you have... woah what a face on him! HAHA! I love it!

My question is though... is killer croc even really human anymore? Like I know he has always had this wierd green crocodile/alligator skin going on but isn't he just a guy with a mutated version of a real world skin disease? Or has something happened and he is now for real like half man half croc/gator? Guess that adds him to the super powered Bat villain list then.

The whole skin disease thing kinda reminds me of that movie Unbreakable...

[spoiler]Where you have one guy with brittle fragile easy to break body and bones so you have his exact opposite someone with super human durability that survives disasters that kills everyone but him.[/spoiler]

Volsung

Mark Hamill will play the joker in Batman Arkham Asylum.
http://kotaku.com/5047657/mark-hamill-you-to-appear-in-batman-arkham-asylum

It's so great! Now we need Conroy!

the_ultimate_evil

Midnite

New scans!

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

thalaw2

Quote from: bat1987 on August 14, 2008, 10:00:06 AM
OMG! (screams like little girl)

*joins him*

EDIT:  This is bigger than a new born baby in an office full of secretaries.

Midnite

Gametrailers TV will have the first footage of Arkham Asylum this Saturday!
Here's a preview of the episode.

bat1987

Thanks! Can`t wait to see this in action!

NeoDarke

Uncle Yuan

I have to admit, the look and preliminary buzz around this game played a big role in my deciding to get an XBox 360 over a Wii. 

bat1987

I`m actually glad this is coming out for PC as well  :thumbup: