• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

MeshMatters hacked

Started by ow_tiobe_sb, August 24, 2008, 11:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ow_tiobe_sb

I have every reason to believe that MeshMatters has been hacked.  My administrator password has been changed, and I am still trying to regain entry to the site.  Anyone with advice or concerns should PM me.  I will do everything in my power to protect users' privacy.  I apologise for this inconvenience.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

tommyboy

Oh dear.
Let's hope it's just some glitch (not girl) and not a hack.

ow_tiobe_sb

I'm fairly certain that, when someone else leaves one a nasty message as one's secret question/password reminder, one has been hacked. :(

ow_tiobe_sb

tommyboy

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on August 24, 2008, 06:58:41 PM
I'm fairly certain that, when someone else leaves one a nasty message as one's secret question/password reminder, one has been hacked. :(

ow_tiobe_sb

Yes.
I doubt there is any way I can help, but if there is, let me know.

ow_tiobe_sb

Thanks, Tom.  I think I'll find a way to limp forward.  Many thanks for the offer of assistance. :)

ow_tiobe_sb

Previsionary

Hopefully you can get this all fixed and sorted out...though I find it odd that there's two of your account now...

ow_tiobe_sb

Well, at the very least, I have restored my administrator account without loss of information.  I believe what happened is this: I was online at 1:33 PM yesterday, when I was abruptly logged off, my password was changed, and my password reminder was changed (to something too rude to repeat).  I believe I may have moved too quickly for the hacker, however, because I immediately edited my administrator password in the SQL database, an action which may have logged the hacker out as well (but not before the database logged her/his (possible) IP and hostname...).  I then rendered the administrator account harmless by changing its ID group to a normal forum member without administrative privileges.  Of course, since we may be talking about a hacker, I can only assume that s/he would (and may still try to) find another way in.  All I could do was try to make (Mesh)matters more difficult for her/him.

Forgive me if I don't breathe a sigh of relief just yet...

ow_tiobe_sb

Panther_Gunn

Yea and verily, a pox upon all such "hackers" (for most of these snot-nosed brats are more script kiddies than actual hackers).  You obviously know more about the website side of things, but when/if you find the ID & location of the blighter, I'll gladly head up the organization of the lynch mob.  There's already a couple of likely individuals at the top of my mob list.....besides Spud.

ow_tiobe_sb

Thanks, P_G.  I believe my account just suffered another attack, and, indeed, the IP of the likely attacker links back to the same internet provider (different IP address, however, so the cad is probably using an IP cloaker, and my inquiries to the provider will likely prove fruitless).

Nevertheless, I am still standing...

ow_tiobe_sb

the_ultimate_evil

Ares_God_of_War

Thats very sad and small of someone to do this :( I wish you the est of luck in getting all of this resolved

ow_tiobe_sb

Thanks to everyone (who has posted in this thread and PMed me) for your concerns and advice.  My best guess is that I am facing an automated, orchestrated series of attacks on my account.  There have been no fewer than four attempts (two of which seem to have been successful) to hack my account from three different IPs in the Texas area and Norway (:huh:).  I now have three different internet providers (one of which is my host) investigating the matter.  I don't want to alarm anyone with multiple posts stirring up paranoia.  I'll simply thank one and all heartily for their well wishes and reassure everyone that this (Mesh)matter will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks, again. :)

ow_tiobe_sb

cmdrkoenig67

I just saw this thread and that really sucks, ow...I hope everything works out okay.

Best.

Dana

UnkoMan

So, do hackers just randomly pick sites or what? I have no idea.

Tomato

Dude, that sucks. Hope you catch the ****er

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 28, 2008, 01:04:09 PM

I don't get what would motivate a person to do something like this, either...Whomever it is, they must lead a sad, sad life to willfully attack websites.  It's a (excuse my bad language) shitty thing to do and that makes them a shitty person for doing it.  Even if it's a robotic hack, some jerk still made it.

Dana

docdelorean88

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 28, 2008, 01:04:09 PM

Useually there is a motive behind such an action, the site draws in frequent money, or there is personal information attached to the site. But, from what i cantell about the site, no such thing is related to this site so, who ever is doing this must have nothing but free time on their hands, because other than being really bored, or trying to get the FF related stuff(meshes/skins), this person has no serious motive! :angry: <_<

I agree with Dana, this bites. And might i say, texas i get, but NORWAY? Anyways don't worry Ow, whoever the heck is doing this is going to slip up. Espescially with you and your server keeping tabs on him! All it will take is one move and, BAM

ow_tiobe_sb

Well, it appears MeshMatters was hacked/script-kiddied again.  This time, it looks permanent.  I cannot be arsed to rebuild and further fortify MeshMatters at this already hectic, depressing, and frustrating time of my life.  My apologies and thanks to the few stalwart souls who made the forum a productive exchange of artistic ideas.  Victory goes to the unscrupulous bull-buggerer/s who brought an abrupt end to a number of fine plans.  Hurrah!

ow_tiobe_sb

Previsionary

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on October 14, 2008, 10:51:40 AM
Well, it appears MeshMatters was hacked/script-kiddied again.  This time, it looks permanent.  I cannot be arsed to rebuild and further fortify MeshMatters at this already hectic, depressing, and frustrating time of my life.  My apologies and thanks to the few stalwart souls who made the forum a productive exchange of artistic ideas.  Victory goes to the unscrupulous bull-buggerer/s who brought an abrupt end to a number of fine plans.  Hurrah!

ow_tiobe_sb

Sorry to hear this, sir Tiobe, but if life is too...dramatic at the mome, me understands. Though, I am a bit peeved to lose some of the story critiques on the forums since I havent had a chance to back them up since my pc crashed. BLAH! Something must be done...*calls PG*

tommyboy

This is a shame.
I hope things settle down for you, and the site will be missed.

billdamn22

Sorry to hear this news..... I will miss it. I actually got responses and critiques to my skins there.... :angry:
Hope everything works out for you.

ow_tiobe_sb

If anyone out there knows why phpMyAdmin won't accept a perfectly good CSV file (exported from an Excel spreadsheet), I'd be happy to restore the site based on a backup from August.  I've spent the last two hours trying to get the blasted thing to take, but the phpMyAdmin SQL interpreter keeps telling me there is a formatting error in my CSV file.

In the meantime, I have reclaimed control of the site and unbanned any recently banned members.

I'm also happy to post here (which, mods and admins, you should feel free to censor) the IP address of the culprit (or the IP address the culprit hid behind): 72.25.51.150

So much for cloisters and pretzels, Ephrata, Pennsylvania!

Never say, "Never again."

ow_tiobe_sb

ow_tiobe_sb

Oops!  I seem to have restored the site to a point in late August 2008.

Sorry, script kiddies.   :P

ow_tiobe_sb

tommyboy

Yes!
In Your Face, space coyote!
*ahem*
I mean, terribly well done old chap..

the_ultimate_evil

glad to see you got it sorted, now we need to get it popular

vamp

billdamn22

Fantastic! :thumbup: Glad to hear it!

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on October 14, 2008, 02:47:44 PM
now we need to get it popular

Pfft!  No fair chance of that, my evil friend.  Besides, did you not receive the memo?  MeshMatters is the forum site for elitists, not the common rabble. :P

ow_tiobe_sb

AfghanAnt

:( I guess I'm not elite enough.

Previsionary

want some of my eliteness, AA? I can loan you some. ^_^