• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

RD Jr. on Dark Knight

Started by Ares_God_of_War, August 25, 2008, 04:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ares_God_of_War

Its interesting so far. I keep trying for the full interview but the server is busy. I think there will be alot of angry fan boys soon.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/downey-talks-dark-knight.html

On a side note which movie did you like better? I enjoyed both immensly. I say if I was basing it on the title character it would be ironman and on support it would be batman

GogglesPizanno

I heard about this quote last week.
I thought it was kinda funny.

I love the current RDJ resurgence. The guy cracks me up.

stumpy

It's a little odd for me reading that MovieHole interview because RDJr sounds like his impression of Dark Knight isn't too far from what mine was when I saw it the first time, though I disagree with his overall evaluation. I think it is a movie where parts of it can lose you if you aren't following closely and it works better (to me) in a second viewing where you can relax and enjoy the movie without worrying that you aren't missing plot points or not catching clues to character motivation.

Iron Man, though I liked it just as much, was a much simpler movie. There wasn't much chance of not understanding why the events unfolded the way they did or wondering why someone chose a given path. IM was more clearly in the superhero movie genre whereas I think you could tweak a few things and DK would work well as an crime action/drama without the hero even being Batman.

I can see being frustrated by DK at some level, but he is selling himself short by not giving a second shot. Then again, I'll admit that, if I had paid $9 to see Mulholland Dr in the theater, I probably would have walked out wanting to punch David Lynch in the face. But, since I saw it on DVD and could give it more than one go, I appreciate the intricacy in a way I doubt I could on one viewing.

detourne_me

i thought what he said was pretty hilarious myself.

bredon7777

The thing is on every level (save for special effects) TDK is a vastly superior film to Iron Man.

But it was so <bleeping> bleak that I wound up enjoying Iron Man more.

BentonGrey

Quote from: bredon7777 on August 26, 2008, 06:24:01 AM
The thing is on every level (save for special effects) TDK is a vastly superior film to Iron Man.

But it was so <bleeping> bleak that I wound up enjoying Iron Man more.

I would debate that on almost ever single point of production.  The only thing that TDK has on Iron Man that is beyond debate is the villain.  Joker was much stronger than Iron Monger.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteI would debate that on almost ever single point of production.  The only thing that TDK has on Iron Man that is beyond debate is the villain.  Joker was much stronger than Iron Monger.

Don't make me bring up the awesomeness that is The spider-man 3 musical number!!

Mowgli

Quote from: bredon7777 on August 26, 2008, 06:24:01 AM

Now there's an opinion that I disagree with strongly. "on every level...?" Blanket statements about opinion... eh. I think Iron Man was better in some ways, and Dark Knight Returns was better in some.

I agree that the villain was better in Dark Knight, but the whole film? So you would say Bale's preformance was better than Downey Jr.'s? Or Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes was better than Paltrow's Pepper Potts? I don't know man. Better on every level? I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

bredon7777

You guys are getting way more specific then I intended

When I said on every level I meant in the common generalities (think Oscar categories): Writing, directing, acting.

If you want to go far more specific, then yeah, Iron Man beats TDK on some individual levels (For example, Gwyneth is better than Maggie, though I'd rank RDJ and Bale about equal).

Acting: On the Whole, and yes it's heavily weighted by Ledger, TDK takes it.
Writing: Scene by scene would be an interesting breakdown, but on the whole I'm sayin TDK takes it again
Directing: TDK, hands down, no contest.

So basically, I stand by my statement if we're talking movie versus movie. I'll be glad to talk movie <i>element</i> versus movie <i>element</i>, but that's an entirely different discussion.

BWPS

QuoteYou know what? [Expletive] DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."
This part seems like something he would have said in a more joking manner. In all Tropic Thunder interviews, he's been the goofiest of any actor in the movie, and doesn't answer any question seriously.

RDJR's probably kinda stupid or more likely was under the influence of drugs and alcohol when he saw it if he honestly couldn't follow the plot. I don't like movies that require too much thinking, so I appreciated the CONSTANT DESCRIPTIONS OF EVERY CHARACTERS' MOTIVES throughout the entire movie. What's not to get? It had an excellent plot, but it wasn't difficult to understand. It's not like 2001: A Space Odyssey, an Emperor's New Clothes type movie where everyone pretends to like it because they don't want to admit it makes absolutely no sense*. It's more like Wrath of Kahn, a good story that's easy to understand and is entertaining.

*please don't bother trying to explain the movie or argue about it, everyone else may honestly understand it, but I never will, it's the only example I could think of besides all of Kubrick's other movies.

steamteck

Quote from: bredon7777 on August 26, 2008, 09:56:40 PM
You guys are getting way more specific then I intended

When I said on every level I meant in the common generalities (think Oscar categories): Writing, directing, acting.

If you want to go far more specific, then yeah, Iron Man beats TDK on some individual levels (For example, Gwyneth is better than Maggie, though I'd rank RDJ and Bale about equal).

Acting: On the Whole, and yes it's heavily weighted by Ledger, TDK takes it.
Writing: Scene by scene would be an interesting breakdown, but on the whole I'm sayin TDK takes it again
Directing: TDK, hands down, no contest.

So basically, I stand by my statement if we're talking movie versus movie. I'll be glad to talk movie <i>element</i> versus movie <i>element</i>, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Still disagree  But then I'm one of the two people in the world who thought ledger performance wasn't the legendary one everyone else seems to think. Maggie REALLY drags DK down for me on the other hand. She was a complete loss.

Writing Iron Man was consistently better DK had some higher peaks but some sloppy moments that brought it down All In Al  ,I thought "begins" was a more solidly written package than DK

Directing both very good in different ways.

Iron Man I want to see again and again though just like I have "begins" DK not so much. That said I know that I'm not as impressed by DK as most I liked it but wasn't blown away.

steamteck

Quote from: BWPS on August 26, 2008, 11:36:55 PM

*please don't bother trying to explain the movie or argue about it, everyone else may honestly understand it, but I never will, it's the only example I could think of besides all of Kubrick's other movies.

Ah, another Kubrick disdainer .We are the few the proud! I actually I go way beyond that. I'll rant for hours on his lack of virtues but that's neither here nor there.

Figure Fan

I have to admit that I didn't think RDJ's comments were very funny or professional. I mean, come on..

As for which movie is better? It's hard to say. I really had fun with Iron Man and enjoyed RDJ as Stark, but to me, The Dark Knight was more visceral and engrossing. Still, they were each shot differently, had a different tone, and told different stories. One was an origin film while the other was a sequel.

To be honest, I don't want to split hairs. I got to see two amazing films and that's all that matters. I like them each equally for different reasons.

thanoson

I actually enjoyed Iron Man more. I left there with a good feeling. Batman, could have easily been a Die Hard film. John McClain could have been the star with no sweat. Eccentric villain, countless thugs, over elaborate plot, explosions, police commissioner, hero in over his head? Check, check, check, check, check and check. Granted, the acting was very well done and Ledger really made the role, but Die Hard was all it was to me.

TheMarvell

Figure Fan took the words right out of my mouth. I thought they were both great films. Easily the best of the summer, possibly even the entire year. If I had to pick one, I think Batman was quite a bit better, but not enough to put Iron Man to shame, as that was a fantastic movie too.

I'm sure RDJ was just kidding around by being snarky, although it's hard to tell by text alone. But I fail to see how Batman was hard to follow at all... :unsure:

Podmark

I really liked Iron Man but Dark Knight blew me away. To me Iron Man is a watch it once or twice film (happens alot to me for superhero origin films). But Dark Knight I'll be watching over and over again. I saw it twice and didn't enjoy it any less the second time.