• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Tomato Meshes: Double or Nothing (09/12/08)

Started by Tomato, August 28, 2008, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

I wish I could come up with something clever and witty as far as me making an actual meshing thread, but I'm feeling off right now... *shrug* oh well.

This is one of those "brought back from the dead" projects I get the urge to do every so often... something I did once but I know wasn't as good as it should have been. This one specifically has been nagging at me for a long time, but between having conflicted ideas on how to do it, the knowledge that I would want to do a custom mesh eithor way... I've avoided it.

Well, I'm not avoiding it anymore, obviously  ^_^.

P.S. For those who can't tell from the image or my prattle (which I can't blame you for) there's a clue in the name.

AfghanAnt

I like it a lot. Extremely different than the norm.

UnkoMan

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

That's a screenshot? Mesh and skin? Tomato, this is incredible!

See I've been toying with making things more animated looking. Obviously I can't mesh, but I did some outline skopes.

Still, this is the next step. Those shadows, are they skin or mesh? Oh man, you can't believe how much I want to look into this. I am babbling, I am so excited. Is it for no reason? Could this sort of thing have been done before but was always overlooked? Doesn't matter to me, because it's here now and I love it.

Podmark

Volsung

Great work^^ so unique!
But I can't figure who it is.

Tomato

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 28, 2008, 05:28:59 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

That's a screenshot? Mesh and skin? Tomato, this is incredible!

See I've been toying with making things more animated looking. Obviously I can't mesh, but I did some outline skopes.

Still, this is the next step. Those shadows, are they skin or mesh? Oh man, you can't believe how much I want to look into this. I am babbling, I am so excited. Is it for no reason? Could this sort of thing have been done before but was always overlooked? Doesn't matter to me, because it's here now and I love it.

It was taken in Character Tool, yeah. The Shadows+highlights are skinned on, and though I admit I would have liked a bit of actual cell shading(the engine doesn't support it, meh)... this does give me more control. The skin itself is all vectors, which as you can see, gives it a clean, cell-shaded look.

As for whether this has been done or possible before... I'm fairly sure it has been though why it hasn't I don't know. Aside from the warped proportions of the actual mesh (which still conveniently fit on a MB biped  :P ) I don't think anything was beyond us before. We just insisted on using brushes >.<.

Quote from: Volsung on August 29, 2008, 01:55:55 AM
Great work^^ so unique!
But I can't figure who it is.

But... He likes Swords!

Volsung

QuoteBut... He likes Swords!
I give in ^^ he's an enigma

Tomato

Volsung

Podmark

YoungHeros

I thought I was the only one reading that!! :o

Awesome work Tomato!

Tomato

Quote from: YoungHeros on August 30, 2008, 05:27:36 AM
I thought I was the only one reading that!! :o

Awesome work Tomato!

Yeah, I dabble in 8-bit. Just a bit.

Finished skinning the main mesh, working on weapons next.

Tomato

Well it appears life officially stinks now, grah.

Ok, I use a laptop, but partly because it has only so much memory and partly because it's crashed so many times, I had all my FF stuff moved to a portable hard drive. However, the card connecting the drive to the power and usb cords has apparently died. And while I have Fighter's mesh in my max folder, the skin data is all on that drive.

Now, the good news is drive itself still works, but without a way to connect it up, I have to wait until vacations to get to a computer and set it up as an actual drive

Tomato

Well, until I get my files back, I'm going to just keep going with a newer project...

Anyone want to take two guesses?  :P

yell0w_lantern

the_ultimate_evil

:blink::blink::blink::drool:

DIBS

IT'S MINE I CALLED IT FIRST

*swings bat*

Tomato

Technically I have dibs (as, y'know, I made it) but I don't think anyone would mind having two skinners for him >P.

I've got a few things left to make/map, but I'll send you the finished copy when I'm done so you can get started

the_ultimate_evil

Quote from: Tomato on September 12, 2008, 11:54:28 AM
Technically I have dibs (as, y'know, I made it) but I don't think anyone would mind having two skinners for him >P.

I've got a few things left to make/map, but I'll send you the finished copy when I'm done so you can get started

yeah mate i know, i didn't, mean to jump the gun no offence meant.  i'm sorta on a bat villain freak at the moment. i don't mind waiting to have a crack at him once he's fully released

Tomato

Er, I was joking, actually. I meant I'd get it mapped out and send it in case you wanted to do a second standard skin

Lunarman

Awesome looking work there Tomato!

keep it up

Ares_God_of_War

UnkoMan

Yeah, but could you do the messed up head on both sides?

BentonGrey

Too freakin' cool!  I've been wanting a Two Face mesh FOREVER!  Hey, any chance we'll see a TAS type skin (with the blue face and white suit)?  Hint hint, nudge nudge! :D

style

And we would love a coin flipping animation as an idle! and A tommy gun and a .45! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

murs47

Tomato

Ok, here's what's going on with this... I went ahead and modified him to fit on a Male_basic frame so he'd be fully compatible with all MB animations. I've added a coin for what I wish was gonna be a coin flip animation, but unfortunately I'm still only a novice at animating and I really don't know what I'm doing still  :banghead:.

What'll probably happen is I'll release him with some basic gun animations, and then include the max file in case someone wants to take a crack at it.

yell0w_lantern

Yeah, you start adding extra stuff and making it mb compatible gets a little tricky.

[EDIT]
I'm always so amazed that Harvey Dent gets half of his face eaten off by acid but his eye is fine.

Gremlin

In some versions his eye is a different color. I like it blinded, myself. Like how I prefer him bald instead of having crazy white hair.